The Hadeeth about 73 Sects

faaraaz

Hadeeth of Prophet (Peace and Blessing Be Upon Him)

“My ummah will break in 73 sects ,only one will be in paradise and rest will be in hell"

I need to know in which Books of Ahadeeth , it is mentioned and also which one is the saved sect and why?

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
The saved sect is the ones who follow the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and his companions (RA) and the Salaf. The obvious answer as to why they are saved is because they follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah whilst the other sects such as the Sufi, Shai'a etc have deviated so far from Islam because of innovation.

Narrated Abu Hurairah:
that the Messenger of Allah () said: "The Jews split into seventy-one sects, or seventy-two sects, and the Christians similarly, and my Ummah will split into seventy-three sects."
Reference : Jami` at-Tirmidhi 2640
In-book reference
: Book 40, Hadith 35

Narrated AbuHurayrah:

The Prophet () said: The Jews were split up into seventy-one or seventy-two sects; and the Christians were split up into seventy one or seventy-two sects; and my community will be split up into seventy-three sects.

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 4596
In-book reference : Book 42, Hadith 1
English translation : Book 41, Hadith 4579

faaraaz

Thank you , But I want to know that Prophet Peace Be Upon Him ever used term for the saved sect as "Ahlul Sunnah was Jamaah " ?

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Narrated Al-'Irbad bin Sariyah:
"One day after the morning Salat, the Messenger of Allah () exhorted us to the extent that the eyes wept and the hearts shuddered with fear. A man said: 'Indeed this is a farewell exhortation. [So what] do you order us O Messenger of Allah?' He said: 'I order you to have Taqwa of Allah, and to listen and obey, even in the case of a Ethiopian slave. Indeed, whomever among you lives, he will see much difference. Beware of the newly invented matters, for indeed they are astray. Whoever among you sees that, then he must stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khulafa', click to it with the molars.'"
Reference : Jami` at-Tirmidhi 2676
In-book reference : Book 41, Hadith 32

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
:salam:

It was reported from ‘Awf ibn Maalik who said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews were divided into seventy-one sects, one of which is in Paradise and seventy are in the Fire. The Christians were divided into seventy-two sects, seventy-one of which are in the Fire and one is in Paradise. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, my Ummah will be divided into seventy-three sects, one of which will be in Paradise and seventy-two will be in the Fire.” It was said, O Messenger of Allaah, who are they? He said, “Al-Jamaa’ah.” Sunan Ibn Maajah, no. 3982.

`Abdullah ibn Mas`ood radiyallhu `anh explained what is meant by jamaa`ah.
Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said to ‘Amr ibn Maymoon: “The jamaa’ah is that which is in accordance with the truth, even if you are on your own."

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also described them in the following terms: “My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of whom will be in Hell except one group.” They said: Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “(Those who follow) that which I and my companions follow.” This is mentioned in the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr which was recorded and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi (2641). It was also classed as hasan by al-‘Iraaqi in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan (3/432), al-‘Iraaqi in Takhreej al-Ihya’ (3/284) and al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Read this article inshaa'Allaah, as well as the first four links mentioned at the end. http://islamqa.info/en/90112