The Methodology of the Salaf Concerning Ijtihad and Taqlid

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
I totally agree sister... Maybe it would be a good idea to go through the thread and delete the posts which are useless, or at least the bad words...
With regards to the mods posts, I was saying they were sarcastic, not harsh... I feel you guys should have risen above his lack of knowledge. There is a way to make such people understand. the right approach was not taken, it fuelled it into something wild. Given - I dont know what exactly went down between you (plural) and him maybe via PM or even on the thread as I have not read all four pages...

I did benefit from it - on Thursday I pointed a finger at my collegues as they said we are not blind followers and I yelled YES YOU ARE! :) ok, im going through all four pages today InshAllah...

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Didn't expect Hammy to chicken out like that after making bold statements he ran out of searches on Google. The problem lies when people start believing they don't do Taqleed based on their interpretations and when reality is contrary to their belief it hits them.

A major problem with Taqleed is people attribute it to being haraam, only hanafis do it, have Qur`aan and Sunnah so why Taqleed this rampant in the subcontinent.

Your confused with the whole concept of "Taqleed" and "Muqallid" thats the problem. There are huge volumes and books that explain the etymology of taqleed various scholars of Usool al Fiqh defined it in different ways. Please don't think its a refutation or asking you just close your eyes and follow Scholars. We all can read Qur'aan and Hadeeth the problem is we don't have the knowledge to derive rulings from it.

Everyone who is not a Mujtahid is a Muqalid.

You may read this also

It is haram to follow an imam when evidence of the Qur'an and Hadeeth comes to you disproving his statements.

It is haram to follow him blindly when the Qur'an contradicts what he says.

It is haram to say/think that this man is more knowledgeable then Muhammad (pbuh)

That is taqleed.

Also, I can easily understand the Hadeeth anyone can it is not meant to be hard to understand but for some people there are certain situations which they are confused on what to do then they can go to scholar and through the wisdom and knowledge Allah has granted him they can get an answer AND they would understand the wisdom of the scholars words and thus become wiser themselves.

This is the end of this dispute ALL OF YOU asta'd men al shaytan seek refuge with Allah all you people are arguing about now is technicalities as long as we understand what Allah had meant in this Qur'an and this Hadeeth we do not need to quarrel about if taqleed is with a Capital T or lower case.

Seriously, end this topic now .

Your confused with the whole concept of "Taqleed" and "Muqallid" thats the problem. There are huge volumes and books that explain the etymology of taqleed various scholars of Usool al Fiqh defined it in different ways. Please don't think its a refutation or asking you just close your eyes and follow Scholars. We all can read Qur'aan and Hadeeth the problem is we don't have the knowledge to derive rulings from it.

Everyone who is not a Mujtahid is a Muqalid.

You may read this also
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is haram to follow an imam when evidence of the Qur'an and Hadeeth comes to you disproving his statements.

It is haram to say/think that this man is more knowledgeable then Muhammad (pbuh)

That is taqleed.

Also, I can easily understand the Hadeeth anyone can it is not meant to be hard to understand but for some people there are certain situations which they are confused on what to do then they can go to scholar and through the wisdom and knowledge Allah has granted him they can get an answer AND they would understand the wisdom of the scholars words and thus become wiser themselves.

This is the end of this dispute ALL OF YOU asta'd men al shaytan seek refuge with Allah all you people are arguing about now is technicalities as long as we understand what Allah had meant in this Qur'an and this Hadeeth we do not need to quarrel about if taqleed is with a Capital T or lower case.

(reposted to avoid confusion there is no edit button)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is taqleed.

(reposted to avoid confusion there is no edit button)

Please go back and read again the whole thread and avoid slandering others.

Harris Hammam

I totally agree sister... Maybe it would be a good idea to go through the thread and delete the posts which are useless, or at least the bad words...
I don't think this is a good idea. Posts should stay as they are. People can make up their own minds.

With regards to the mods posts, I was saying they were sarcastic, not harsh... I feel you guys should have risen above his lack of knowledge. There is a way to make such people understand. the right approach was not taken, it fuelled it into something wild. Given - I dont know what exactly went down between you (plural) and him maybe via PM or even on the thread as I have not read all four pages...
I don't see anything wrong about what the mods did. One side copied-pasted, and when they got found out they resorted to abuses. Clearly, they were narrow-minded and didn't want to accept anything we said. You think soft, tame language would assist them? I think this thread is now not for the benefit of Aziboy and Hammy, but rather for everybody else and posterity.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

It really saddens me to read this this thread which lacks of correct Islamic behaviour, modesty, brotherhood in Islam and at the end it aslo lacks of the justice one of the basic characteristics that should be part of every Muslim character.

While other Muslims are occupated with many more important things and are occupated which much more greater problems, you brother Thariq, brother Aziboy, brother Harris Hamam, brother Hammy and others are spending so much time on unnecessery disscussion, when you could spend your time on much useful and productive things.

I do not think that this has brought any benfit to any of us members here on TTI,and all of you together hold equal responsability in this disscussion and it is not only fault of brother Aziboy, because noone of you kept himselfe/ herselfe silent.

And Allah knows the best.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen summa ameen

Harris Hammam

On the topic of laymen ending up following strange opinions:
Brother HH, I had a question. After broaching this topic with some sisters, who also seem to be allergic to this word, they also began voicing similar concerns, somewhere along the lines of:

So if it's okay to take from any scholar (such as Hanafi ones) - then the way the women pray in the sub-continentals you're going to say is okay?! The way they pray like dogs and stick their arms to the ground and their rukoo' is not complete, and we know all of this is against the Qur'an and Sunnah but because they are following a scholar you are going to say it's okay?

Or what about if some person decides they want to do taqleed of Ibn Hazm's opinion on music?? You're going to say this is legitimate?

And they won't get past that point. That if you allow a layman to follow whichever person they find trustworthy and do taqleed of them, people will take 'strange opinions' from the scholars and follow them. I've replied to this in my own way, and I've read some of your threads before. But I thought I would ask personally. Ibn Hazm's can be said to be an odd opinion yes, but what about the prayer?

And some of this is the same rhetoric it seems Hammy and Aziboy are repeating. I don't know why this becomes such a big issue - but what's the best response to these?
Few points:

1. Laymen's job is to find a trustworthy and pious scholar upon the Sunnah. His evidence his fatwa itself.

2. His job is not an investigation into what evidences he is using. If that was his job, then there would be no difference between the layman and the scholar. Verification is not the job of the layman. The texts of Usool are pretty clear on this - if everybody was forced to look for evidences in every thing they did, that would destroy the worldly affairs of the Ummah. If Aziboy and Hammy were asked about their whole Salah procedure, they perhaps would not even be able to cite three Hadith!

3. If a scholar makes a mistake, the layman is not at all responsible. The layman is unable to assess if the scholar is right or wrong. Even if the scholar gives him evidence, it does not make him right as their could be flaws in the provided evidence. All what this means is that the layman is not burdened with any of this. The last verse of Baqarah proves this, as well as the third-to-last verse in Taghabun.

4. All this means is that no matter how wrong or weak the fatwa is, the layman cannot be held to account. His job was to identify a scholar. Only the Mu`tazilites of Baghdad obliged him to look into evidences.

5. On the topic of the Salah of a woman being different from a man's Salah, that doesn't even fall into isolated minority opinion. There are so many scholarly precedents from the Salaf for the opinion of differentiation. See for example:
http://www.feqhweb.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6046&p=39145&viewfull=1#post39145
A person who condemns this opinion, or a person who condemns the other opinion, should be educated about the etiquette differing, or Adab 'l-Khilaf. Both opinions exist. It's no different from any other issue.

6. On the topic of Ibn Hazm and music, yes it is perhaps an isolated opinion. But if a scholar today says that music is Halal and a layman honestly believes him to be trustworthy, then he is not liable. If somebody claims the layman is liable, they should bring proof. Do they have any proof? Saying that 'evidences say that music is Haram' is not proof to establish liability upon the layman.

What I will say, however, is that if the layman is told by other scholars - and I mean scholars, not just ordinary people - that the opinion (of music for example) is totally wrong, or is severely weak, then it is preferable that he exercises Tarjeeh between the scholars on this issue, or reassesses whether he should be following the scholar who allows music in the topic of music itself. He may ask for evidences and see which are more clearer. Nothing more - you just can't force the layman to change opinion by giving evidences. He should then follow his heart in this matter as is the guidance of the Hadith.

By heart, we don't mean his Nafs and desire, but rather we mean the same heart that gets him out of bed for Fajr. That is the standard. So if a person does not have that much Taqwa to get up for even a basic obligation like Fajr, then the opinion of music would be become petty in the bigger scheme of things and we would say that this layman has greater issues to be concerned about.

7. Overall, the existence strange opinions is not something new. However, you cannot dismantle the laws of Usool 'l-Fiqh based on hypothetical questions like 'oh the layman would end up listening to music or drinking beer etc. etc.'. Real-life case studies should be presented and they should be assessed on their individual merits.

8. Since these people have such an obsession against Hanafi Fiqh in particular, I would say just one thing: Commercial vinegar is only allowed to be consumed in Hanafi Fiqh - nobody else really said that vinegar is allowed unless alcohol accidentally becomes wine. Do these detractors of Hanafi Fiqh never consume vinegar or what? If so, do they base it on evidence, or the mere fact that Hanafi Fiqh allows it?

In a nutshell, the layman is not responsible. Any claims that oblige evidence-responsibility is outright wrong and/or severely weak. People who babble on about 'oh the layman must follow the evidence' are only reviving the Baghdadi Mu`tazili opinion, and have to this day failed to outline a proper procedure as to how the layman is supposed to arrive at the correct conclusion. There are so many legal flaws in obliging the investigation of evidences on layman that is is difficult to count them. There is a thread on IA where there are serious questions against the notion of laymen being forced to look into evidences - I'll list a few:

- Prove there is Ijmaa` that a scholar must provide evidence to the layman.

- If there is such a Daleel, which Daleel obliges the Mufti that he shouldn't provide you conflicting pieces of evidence and rulings? After then tell us what Daleel obliges either you or the Mufti to reconcile between the conflict, or provide Tarjeeh between the conflicting rulings or evidences.

- Which Daleel obliges the Mufti to provide you evidence in English, since evidences are only in Arabic? I submit to you that learning evidences in English makes you a Muqallid of only the translator!

- Which Daleel do you have that, even if the Mufti gives you a translation of evidence, that you are obliged to understand it, or that the Mufti is obliged to make you understand it?

Furthermore, these women in the subcontinental areas who have learned like this, the sisters feel a 'duty' to bring them out of their 'blindness' into Qur'an and Sunnah - but how much responsibility would you say is on the layman to contradict opinions they don't feel are correct towards other laymen - or what is the method in doing so?

I hope those make sense? I'd like to ask to clear the air, as I truly appreciate your presence here and would like to gain myself.
Hmm. I feel it is our duty to educate these sisters about the aforementioned points. If they are not willing to listen, then you can grill them on the bolded questions above.

Suffice to say for now that the Usooli scholars have understood any such obligation on the layman!

The famous Khateeb Baghdadi said in his al-Faqeeh Wa-'l-Mutafaqqih:

"ليس ينبغي للعامي أن يطالب المفتي بالحجة فيما أجابه به، ولا يقول لم ولا كيف؟ قال الله سبحانه وتعالى "فاسألوا أهل الذكر إن كنتم لا تعلمون، وفرق تبارك وتعالى بين العامة وبين أهل العلم فقال "قل هل يستوي الذين يعلمون والذين لايعلمون". فإن أحب أن تسكن نفسه بسماع الحجة في ذلك سأل عنها في زمان آخر ومجلس ثان أو بعد قبول الفتوى من المفتي مجردة
It is not appropriate for the layman to ask the Mufti for evidence for his answer, and should not say 'why' or 'how'. Allah says "Ask the People of Dhikr if you do not know". Allah draws a line between the laymen and the scholars and said "Can the knowledgeable and those who do not have knowledge be equal?". If he really wants to hear the evidence, he should ask him at another time in another sitting, or on the back of wholeheartedly accepting the Mufti's fatwa [i.e. the layman won't change opinion his opinion regardless of what evidence he gives].

and before that he said:

وحكي عن بعض المعتزلة انه قال : لا يجوز للعامي العمل بقول العالم حتى يعرف علة الحكم ، وإذا سأل العالم فإنما يسأله أن يعرفه طريق الحكم فإذا عرفه وقف عليه وعمل به . وهذا غلط لأنه لا سبيل للعامي إلى الوقوف على ذلك إلا بعد أن يتفقه سنين كثيرة ويخالط الفقهاء المدة الطويلة ، ويتحقق طرق القياس ويعلم ما يصححه ويفسده ، وما يجب تقديمه على غيره من الأدلة . وفي تكليف العامة بذلك تكليف ما لا يطيقونه ولا سبيل لهم إليه
It has been reported from some Mu`tazilites that it is not permissible for a layman to practise on the opinion of a scholar until he learns the reason of the ruling...
This [Mu`tazilite opinion] is totally wrong because a layman has no way in understanding that unless he learns Fiqh for many years and sits by the jurists for a long period
, learns of the ways of analogy and learns of what validates and invalidates [analogy], and [he learns] of what evidences have priority over others. Obliging the layman to do this is obliging them with that which they are unable of, and they have no chance in doing so.

Al-Subki said in his Usooli base text Jam` 'l-Jawaami`:
وللعامي سؤاله عن مأخذه استرشادا ثم عليه بيانه إن لم يخف
A layman may ask [the Mufti] for his source [from which he took the ruling] as a matter of guidance, and then [the Mufti] should explain it [to him] if it is not unclear.

The great scholar and Usooli al-Sam`ani in his Qawati` 'l-Adillah mentions two points:

1. That if the evidence is clear-cut and does not require Ijtihad, then he must present it to the layman if he asks for it; otherwise he doesn't have to if the layman is not up for comprehending the evidence
فإن قال قائل هل يجوز للعامى أن يطالب العالم بدليل؟ الجواب قلنا لا يمنعه أن يطالب به لأجل احتياطه لنفسه ويلزم العالم أن يذكر الدليل إن كان مقطوعا به لإشرافه على العلم بصحته ولا يلزمه أن يذكر له الدليل إن لم يكن مقطوعا به لافتقاره إلى الاجتهاد ويقصر عنه العامى

2. The Mu`tazilah who prohibited Taqleed in Furoo` made Qiyas upon Usool (i.e. Aqeedah), in which there is mutual agreement that Taqleed is not allowed
وقاسوا أيضا التقليد فى الفروع على التقليد فى الأصول وقالوا إذا لم يجز فى أحدهما لا يجوز فى الآخر

And lastly brother, do you feel translating taqleed as 'blind following' is the best choice? Sometimes I feel it doesn't do justice to the word, but confuses people instead and makes them adverse to being called 'blind' - even though in some senses it is true.
Taqleed is a necessity. Yes it is following, but what else is it? Every following is blind, laymen are blind. But there is no point rubbing it in by mentioning 'blind following' as if it was some sort of insult. What do you expect the layman to do anyway? Get some eyes?

Harris Hammam

It really saddens me to read this this thread which lacks of correct Islamic behaviour, modesty, brotherhood in Islam and at the end it aslo lacks of the justice one of the basic characteristics that should be part of every Muslim character.

While other Muslims are occupated with many more important things and are occupated which much more greater problems, you brother Thariq, brother Aziboy, brother Harris Hamam, brother Hammy and others are spending so much time on unnecessery disscussion, when you could spend your time on much useful and productive things.

I do not think that this has brought any benfit to any of us members here on TTI,and all of you together hold equal responsability in this disscussion and it is not only fault of brother Aziboy, because noone of you kept himselfe/ herselfe silent.

May Allah guide us all.Ameen summa ameen

Please try not to belittle my effort. I have put some thought into my posts.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Dear brother, if you read carefuly whole thread and your replies, you will see that harm is much more greater than benefit. And you should also know and other participants as well that in Islam advice it comes before judging, attacking somone and disscussion Alhmadulillah.

And dear brother Hariss Hammam, MashAllah I am glade to see that you have learnt a lot for the short time you have spent here.

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Samiha... you did a gr8 job by banning brother Aziboy.. simply you have shown your incompetence to prove your blind following here and well thanx for giving me respite...

She's awesome isn't she? Yeah you've got to give it to her.

You are lucky you've decided to leave.

I pray Allaah guides you and all of us, forgives you and all of us, and have mercy on you and all of us.

Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

Ukhti, what saddens you saddens us all. This is not the way muslims should deal with each other, but if one party resorts to being ignorant, and tries to push their ignorance by being abusive to people who know much more than them, they need to be dealt with harshly.

You may not have found any benefit in this thread because you may (I may be wrong) only have followed the exchange of harsh words and not the knowledge.

What you said cannot be applied to brother Thariq or brother Harris Hammam may Allaah increase them in their knowledge. They've shared some real awesome stuff here. And I tell you, it is beneficial.

Ameen to your duas.

JazaakAllaahu khayraa for visiting TTI and sharing your knowledge. I wish you would have had a more welcoming reception than this, but Alhumdulillah anyway because you wouldn't be a member here in first place, if it wasn't for this thread.

I'm hoping you stick around even after this thread is dealt with Inshaa`Allaah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

Dear brother, if you read carefuly whole thread and your replies, you will see that harm is much more greater than benefit. And you should also know and other participants as well that in Islam advice it comes before judging, attacking somone and disscussion Alhmadulillah.

And dear brother Hariss Hammam, MashAllah I am glade to see that you have learnt a lot for the short time you have spent here.

Ukhti I'm sorry but your posts makes me smile. I'll PM you about the bold bit.

Please don't post on this thread until then.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Baraakaatuh,

Ukhti, what saddens you saddens us all. This is not the way muslims should deal with each other, but if one party resorts to being ignorant and tries to push their ignorance by being abusive to people who know much more than them, they need to be dealt with harshly.

You may not have found any benefit in this thread because you may (I may be wrong) only have followed the exchange of harsh words and not the knowledge.

What you said cannot be applied to brother Thariq or brother Harris Hamman may Allaah increase them in their knowledge. They've shared some real awesome stuff here. And I tell you it is beneficial.

Ameen to your duas.

Assalamu alaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Dear sister, I have red carefuly whole thread, those good and those less good things, and from that what has been presented here it can be easily seen that due to forgeting some Islamic manners, thise whole unnecessery disscussion has brought less good.

All those who took participation in this thread are equaly responsable, meaning that all brother Thariq, brother Aziboy, brother Hammy,brother Harris Hammam and others share the same responsability.And this is only just, Alhamdulillah. Allahu Alaam.

And dear sister, it is not brother " Hamman" how you wrote, it is Hammam

May Allah bring closer our hearts.Ameen summa Ameen

EDIT: I am sorry sister, but I have posted before reeding your reply. :) As for the PM I think it was unnencessery as you could have posted it here publicly. I do not think anyone would mind. And I am glade that I have made you smile for the sake of Allah, smile is charity in Islam.SubhanAllah, beautiful is our religion, even in smile there is Sadaqaah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamu alaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Dear sister, I have red carefuly whole thread, those good and those less good things, and from that what has been presented here it can be easily seen that due to forgeting some Islamic manners, thise whole unnecessery disscussion has brought less good.

All those who took participation in this thread are equaly responsable, meaning that all brother Thariq, brother Aziboy, brother Hammy,brother Harris Hammam and others share the same responsability.And this is only just, Alhamdulillah. Allahu Alaam.

And dear sister, it is not brother " Hamman" how you wrote, it is Hammam

May Allah bring closer our hearts.Ameen summa Ameen

EDIT: I am sorry sister, but I have posted before reeding your reply. :) As for the PM I think it was unnencessery as you could have posted it here publicly. I do not think anyone would mind. And I am glade that I have made you smile for the sake of Allah, smile is charity in Islam.SubhanAllah, beautiful is our religion, even in smile there is Sadaqaah.

BaraakAllaahu feeki ukht, It's nice of you. I'd say the two brothers who were trying to clear a BIG misconception are responsible for the benefit and good that this thread offers Inshaa`Allaah.

Oh and Jazaakillaahu khayraa for your correction. It was a typo.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Yes, I'm amazed. This forum is great.

So let me get this: This forum is designed for Muslim converts?

No dear brother, it is for all, for Muslims who want to increase thier knowledge in Islam, for Muslims who wish to share thier knowledge, for brothers and sisters who have recently accepted Islam, for non Muslims who want to learn about Islam, InshAllah. Of course all this, with respect of forum and Islamic rules.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask us InshAllah.

May Allah bless you.Ameen.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!

That is taqleed.

Asslamaliekum warahmatullahi wabarakatu,
Brother Read the definitions of 'Taqleed' that brother HH posted to avoid the same same confusion that has been revolving here since the last thread. Just becoz you agree with definition #5 doesn't mean other definitions are wrong.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I tried to caution everyone. I hate threads like this because they do no good.

Where did the humility go?

I had to sit back and laugh. I mean that. All this verbage. And there was no discussion of faith. It was verbiage.

I reflected..it was wasted time.

How does a thread like this be pleasing to Allah. It was impossible to read. There was a lot of arrogance tossed around.

Words are powerful tools and they were tossed and lost. And please sisters...who are you to tell anyone to not post...come on now sister...let's get it together..
I was also confused by the new brother..Harris Hamman. You stated you were invited by someone to take over the thread. How and why? I am curious.

What upset me the most was the lack of piety in this thread...and that was the most glaring feature. People praising each other when opinions concurred...

And I think it would be beneficial to the site if a member is going to be banned to make the mod the same sex. It seems ludicrous for a mod who does not post often to come in and ban a member out of the blue.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!

Respected sister, can I ask what am I 'equally responsible' for? And Why?

I can't recall insulting anyone on this thread and I re-read all my posts in order to clarify. Perhaps I am blind to my own mistakes.... so I would appreciate if you could point it out

BaraakAllaahu feeki ukht, It's nice of you. I'd say the two brothers who were trying to clear a BIG misconception are responsible for the benefit and good that this thread offers Inshaa`Allaah.

Oh and Jazaakillaahu khayraa for your correction. It was a typo.

Not really, I hardly contributed to this thread. Ma shaa'Allaah HH, posted a lot of beneficial posts that I benefitted from (personally) and sister Samiha as well. Less than half way through this thread, I stopped participating.

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualykum,

Aapa is right - all men should get second wives.. oops sorry wrong thread (but good assumption of what Aapa might have said :p)
Aapa is right - it is impossible to read. Anyone who might want to learn about Ijtihad and Taqlid finds it impossible to go through what's what on here. Especially if these terms are new like they are to me. I asked a question right at the beginning of the thread and mentioned there that it all flew over my head - and even more so now.

Based on other respected member's posts, I think we can conclude that this thread needs a CONCLUSION now. Since when did these issues become debatable between US LAYMEN?! I suggest a conclusion to wrappitup...

And Brother HH
I don't think this is a good idea. Posts should stay as they are. People can make up their own minds.
Yes it is necessary for the basic reason I mentioned above. WE are here to learn about Islam, based on Quraan, Sunnah and the teachings of all the 100 000's of Muslims who are better than you and me. So when I want to learn something about ijtihad and i find this thread through TTI search - what am I to think?? let it be clear and simple to the people who genuinely want to learn...