The Righteousness of The Oppressed in War

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I was at a friend's house yesterday watching the news and a story of an Elderly Muslim Man (about my age) who was given a symbol of a request for mercy and forgiveness in the form of a goat. The man had both of his grown sons murdered by United States Troops in Afghanistan along with their wives. Initially the report was that the American Military had killed to insurgents and found the women bound and murdered. Then it was discovered that they had raided the wrong house first killing one son who went out to ask them what was happening and then the second son when he ran out to his brothers body. The women were actually killed by the Soldiers. A General offered his apologies and asked for forgiveness. The Man forgave them and said he had no ill will in his heart anymore against them. This bought tears to my eyes. I have been in war and know how easy it is under the stress of adrenaline to act without perception from reflex. When I returned from Vietnam, my cousin, Janie and I were coming out of a store. She had purchased a six pack of soft drinks in glass bottles. The bottom of the cardboard carrier was wet and came loose. Without a thought, I dove to the sidewalk as the glass bottles broke with a bang bang bang sound. Janie asked me what I was doing. I was only home on leave and had to go back the second time. I told her what looks crazy in small town America can mean the difference between life and death. When that war ended, I thought America had finally learned its lesson. Then we started engaging in small little wars like Granada, and I thought with sadness (The Hawks are making resurrecting as the Doves sleep).

When that Muslim said he had no ill will toward them or America, I thought of the Prophet Muhammad (Salla Alahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) and that this was a man following in his footsteps. It honestly brought tears to my eyes. I was so proud to be a Muslim and so ashamed to be an American.

There is a poem by an Anonymous person with little knowledge of poetry that captures the feeling of a wrong that can't be taken back:

I killed a man today
He was the enemy or so they say
After the bang, I watched him run toward the top of the hill
And, then, I killed him with my deadly skill.
And as the man turned and the gun fell from his hand
I saw it was a boy and not a man
I killed a boy today,
He was the enemy or so they say.

The same guy named Anonymous also wrote

Who will cry
When I die
Who will lay flowers on me
What will be said
After I am dead
What will they say about me
And who will be the next one to die for....

Peace Was Sallem

weakslave

:wasalam:

For that man to forgive them, SubhanaAllaah. I wish I had that much self restraint to forgive the one who would do this to me. I would probably travel the ends of the world to avenge them.

May Allaah forgive him all his sins just like he, that man, forgave the soldiers.