The state of our youth....

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams bro and sis

A really shocking thing happened today which shows the state of the youth of our Ummah - may Allah swt guide them

My husband was in the newsagent and a young girl in hijab was in front of him in the queue. She approached the counter and asked for a National Lottery Ticket ( lotto, gambling). The man at the counter asked her old she was and she said she was 16 and he sold her the ticket. My husband felt he should say something....so quietly he said " salaams sister, you know that the national lottery is haram dont you?"

and guess what she said???

" So?!?" ( in an agressive tone, rudely)

:astag:

He said again " Its gambling, its haram, its not allowed." again he said it gently and quietly...and she said again in an agressive tone "And what??" and gave him a nasty look again.
:astag::astag:
He just said to her " Astifrugallah sister......its wrong. you should take that scarf off your head if you dont care for the laws of Allah swt or you are a disgrace to the Deen" and walked out the shop.

Was he wrong to say this? I dont think so...she wears the scarf she is representing the Ummah - she should be mindful of her actions ,abstain from haram and not disrespect her elders ( she was 16 my husband is mid 30s) Obviously we dont really want her to take her scarf off but it might have made her think about her actions insha'allah...

Can you believe this?!? I cant believe she answered him like that. This was a muslim sister!!

What has become of our youth that they have no knowledge of Islam, yet they appear to and have no regard or respect for the laws of Allah swt?

Please everyone - we must do more to educate and guide our youth - they are the Ummah of tomorrow.

May Allah swt forgive me if this is backbiting or my husband if he said the wrong thing to her.

I think her behaviour should be an example to the rest of us of how we need to guide our youth better insha'allah. Does anyone have any ideas to get through and educate teenagers who dont seem to care ??!?

We have a problem brothers and sisters and its up to us to fix it - we should lead by example and guide and give dawah to our fellow muslims insha'allah. We need some kind of action plan....

May Allah swt guide us all.Ameen.

Wasalaams

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Salam sister

I think your husband had very noble intentions. May Allah reward him for that. In hadith the prophet (PBUH) said that we should change munkar (wrong doing) with whatever we can .. our hands, tongues, or even hearts only.

However, I think that your husband approach was inappropriate. At 16 of age youngesters are rebelious and the last thing they want to hear is direct instructions. I guess her resposne may have more to do with this rather than her being a bad person.

Alhasan & Hussain (the grandsons of our prophet (PBUH) are of those who are fortunate enough to have studied and graduated from his (PBUH) school of manners. They once saw an old man making ablution in the wrong way in the mosque. Instead of telling him off, they went to him and told him that they need a judge between themselves as they are not sure they knew how to make ablution (they pretended that they did not how to do it). The man agreed and after observing them both doing ablution, he realised that his way was wrong and thanked them. Had they -two young guys- tried to instruct him directly, they may have not got this response.

Maybe a better way to approach this would have been like: "lottery is a big con, the only one guaranteed to win is the ticket seller. If you buy tickets all your life then -statistically- you are guaranteed to lose money. Our religion do not make haram for nothing surely ?"

Allah knows best

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2:

Yes sister, it's very sad to hear that :astag:

I think that what your husband said,(about taking off the scarf and being a disgrace if you don't care about Allah's laws etc.), was inappropriate but definitely he did the best thing: to talk! But I also understand him 'cause I know how he felt inside,(sad and upset at the same time).

The best way to give da'wah is with good manners. The same that Prophet Muhammad :saw: used to have in teaching others about Islam.

Really something must be done! I see young sisters & brothers going around wearing hijaab etc. nearly as "fashion" :astag:
I think first of all we need to put together the parents of our Ummah and then we can talk about teaching Islam to the children following Qur'an & Sunnah (ONLY!)

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams

aha sister...so you are super moderator now??? ;) congrats! :)

Yes he did ask me afterwards if he said the right thing...he knows he prob shouldnt have said what he said to her, especially about the scarf...but he was so angry and shocked by her attitude and behaviour! She should have been embaressed to be caught doing something haram, she should of had shame, but instead she was rude and agressive! and openly defiant!!!
:astag::astag::astag: and also for my husband speaking a bit harshly, he is regrets that a bit :astag::astag:

Jazak'allah khair for the advice and to other sister/brother too....does anyone have any ideas on how we can get through to people like this sister without them getting all annoyed and defensive?!?? Her age is no excuse for her behaviour IMO because she is responsible and not an innocent....but she has clearly had no proper Islamic education...:(

Wasalaams

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
No, i think your husband did the right thing, mashallah :)... now, yes that's true, the youths today need help, real help.. but to say youth, muslim youth would be generalising, because all aren't like that alhamdoulilah, these 'particular people' boys & girls need to understand that Islam is a way of life...i think

gangstaat

Allah Hu Akbar
ur husband was 101% right.
Allah will give him reward inshAllah.
we represents this religion and if we do stuff like this its not a good influence on non muslims. let alone making da'waa to them we are doing the opposite.

Amir_of_spain

Your husband was good to tell the sister about the lottery being a form of gambling but telling her to take her hijab off was out of order. He shouldnt have said that, imagine shaytan now uses that on her mind and she decides to take it off, its bad. ALways promote the good and forbid the evil. PLus u said she was 16, thats still young and u dont know her background so u shouldnt be too critical. Another tactic he can use is to say a benefit regardeing religious advice eg sister if u avoid gambling even though u really wana do it, allah will reward u multiple times over, inshallah make the path of jannah easy for u. Be creative thats what i say!

kamranasif2004

a wise saying from a beautiful muslim i know

Assalam-o-alaikum

I m not gonna tell his name but he once said

" all my my three sons want to become an alim-e-deen (religous scholars)
but even if they would'nt i would have ask them to learn at least that much deen which can help them protect their faith"

i think in this it is a big lesson for all parents that they should ensure that they teach atleast that much Islam to their kids which can atleast enable them to understand what faith actually is and what part does it play in one's life to understand what life is all about and where are we coming from ? and where are we heading ?

believe me i have seen kids under 10 who can be better than any of us in Allah's way so age can never be an issue when it comes to following principles of Islam

One who brings up a kid and make him a true servant of Allah his reward will be paradise Insha Allah

Kirn

Its shocking how muslims nowadays tent to obvious rules and regulations of life set by Islam.
Some of the girls in my college even eat haraam sweet with Gelatine(pig)in them.When i saw her doing so,i told her but she just saidi have opened the wrapper up i met aswell as eat it now!
I was completely amazed at the cold response and ignorance shown!

Kirn

I am honestly so upset at the ignorance shown by muslims themselves regarding threir religion!:astag::astag::astag:May Allah help us by showing us the right path!