The Statement ‘Sadaqallaahul-’Adheem’ After Recitation is an Innovation?

Yousuf.

:salam2:

So there occurs in the Saheeh of al-Bukhaaree (no. 4582) and Muslim (no. 800) from the hadeeth of ’Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood (radiyallaahu ’anhu) who said, “The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said to me, ‘Read for me.’ I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, I am to recite for you whilst you are the one upon whom it has been revealed!’

He said, ‘Yes.’ So I recited Sooratun-Nisaa‘ until I came to this aayah,
So how will it be when We bring from every nation a witness, and We bring you as a witness over these people?” [Sooratun-Nisaa‘ 4:41]

He said, ‘That is enough for now.’ So I turned to him and found tears flowing from his eyes.” So neither Ibn Mas’ood, nor the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem.’ He only said, ‘This is enough.’

And al-Bukhaaree relates in his Saheeh (no. 6) and Muslim (no. 1308) from Ibn ’Abbaas (radiyallaahu ’anhu) who said, ‘The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) was the most eloquent of the people in recitation. And the most eloquence in his speech came in Ramadaan when Jibreel (’alayhis-salaam) came to him. And he used to come to him at every night of Ramadaan. So he used to teach him the Qur‘aan.” And he did not say that Jibreel or Muhammad (’alayhimas-salaatu was-salaam) ever said ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem’ after completing anything from the Qur‘aan. [2]

And al-Bukhaaree relates in his Saheeh (no. 3809) and Muslim (no. 899) from the hadeeth of Anas Ibn Maalik (radiyallaahu ’anhu), that the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said to ’Ubayy, “Allaah has commanded me to recite to you,

Those who disbelieved from the People of the Book.” [Sooratul-Bayyinah 98:1]

He said, “And He mentioned me by name?” He said, “Yes.” So he cried. And the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) did not say, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem,’ after reciting this aayah.

And al-Bukhaaree relates in his Saheeh (no. 4474), from the hadeeth of Raafi’ Ibn Mu’allaa (radiyallaahu ’anhu) that the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “Shall I not teach you the greatest soorah in the Qur‘aan before I leave the mosque?” So when the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) went to leave the mosque, he remembered his statement. So he said,

The praise is for Allaah, Lord of the Worlds,” [Sooratul-Faatihah 1:1]

They are the seven oft-recited verses. And the Magnificent Qur‘aan is that which I have been given.” And he did not say ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem.’

And it has been authentically related in the Sunan of Abee Daawood (no. 1400) and at-Tirmidhee (no. 2893), from the hadeeth of Aboo Hurayrah (radiyallaahu ’anhu), that the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “A soorah from the Qur‘aan consists of thirty aayaat and it serves as an intercessor for its reciter, until he is forgiven.
Blessed is He, in Whose Hand is the kingdom.” [Sooratul-Mulk 67:1].”

And he did not say, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem.’

And there occurs in al-Bukhaaree (no. 4952) and Muslim (no. 494) from the hadeeth of al-Baraa‘ Ibn ’Aazib (radiyallaahu ’anhu) who said, “I heard the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) recite in al-’Ishaa‘,
By the fig and the olive.” [Sooratut-Teen 95:1]

So I did not hear anyone with a voice better than his.” And he did not say, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem.’

And Muslim relates in his Saheeh (no. 873), from the hadeeth of Ibnah Haarithah Bintun-Nu’maan (radiyallaahu ’anhaa) who said, ‘I did not memorize,
Qaaf. The majestic Qur‘aan.” [Soorah Qaaf 50:1] except by the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) reciting it every Friday.” And it was not said that he stated, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem,’ nor did she used to say after reciting the aayaat of Soorah Qaaf, ‘sadaqallaahul-’adheem.’
So if we go through a number of suwar and aayaat which were read by the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam), his Companions and those who followed them in goodness from the three virtuous generations, we will find that none of them used to do this. So in what we have mentioned is sufficiency for clarifying that the statement, sadaqallaahul-’adheem,’ after reciting the Qur‘aan is a newly invented innovation which has no preceding example in the early generations.

Comments?

Yousuf.

:salam2:

Is it really true that the statement ‘Sadaqallaahul-’Adheem’ after recitation is an innovation? Cos the use of Sadaqallaahul-’Adheem is very widespread...

Tru3m0sl3m

Brother in ISLAM
Islam Question and Answer

( 2209 )
Is saying "Sadaqa Allaahu al-'Azeem " after reciting from Qur'an bid'ah?

Is saying Sadaqaallahu Al Azim after reciting or quoting from the Qur'an an innovation, and if it is, how was it introduced?

Praise be to Allaah.

Many people have the habit of ending a recitation from the Qur'aan with the words "Sadaqa Allaahu al-'Azeem (Almighty Allaah has spoken the truth)," but this has no basis in Islam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do it, nor was it the custom of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and it was unknown among the Taabi'een (the generation after the Sahaabah). This custom arose in later times because some reciters would say these words, on the basis of the aayah: "Say: Allaah has spoken the truth" [Aal 'Imraan 3:95 - interpretation of the meaning], and people liked this. But this istihsaan (being liked) should be rejected, because if this was really something good, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the Sahaabah and the Taabi'een - the salaf or first and best generations of the ummah - would not have neglected to do it.

The aayah "Say: Allaah has spoken the truth" (Aal 'Imraan 3:95 -interpretation of the meaning) does not mean that these words should be said at the end of any reading or recitation. If that were the case, He would have said, "When you finish reading, say 'Allaah has spoken the truth,'" just as He said (interpretation of the meaning): "So when you want to recite the Qur'aan, seek refuge with Allaah from Shaytaan (Satan), the outcast (the cursed one)." [al-Nahl 16:98]
The aayah which the innovators use to support their practice of saying "Sadaqa Allaah" after reciting Qur'aan was actually revealed in the context of confirming what was said about how all food had been lawful to Bani Isra'eel except what Isra'eel had made unlawful for himself. Allaah said (interpretation of the meaning): "... Say (O Muhammad): 'Bring here the Tawraat (Torah) and recite it, if you are truthful.' Then, after that, whosoever shall invent a lie against Allaah, such shall indeed be the zaalimoon (disbelievers). Say (O Muhammad), 'Allaah has spoken the truth; follow the religion of Ibraaheem (Islamic monotheism, i.e., he used to worship Allaah alone), and he was not of al-mushrikeen (polytheists)." [Aal 'Imraan 3:93-95]

If this aayah meant that these words should be said after reciting from the Qur'aan, the first one to know and do this would have been the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Because this is not the case, we know that this is not what was meant.
In conclusion, therefore, saying "Sadaqa Allaahu al-'Azeem" after reciting Qur'aan is an innovation, and the Muslim should not say it.

But believing that Allaah has spoken the truth is obligatory, and whoever disbelieves or doubts the truth of what Allaah has said is a kaafir who is outside of the pale of Islam. We seek refuge with Allaah from that.

If a person says "Allaah has spoken the truth" on certain occasions, such as when something He has foretold comes to pass, affirming the truth of what He has said, then this is permissible, because something similar has been reported in the Sunnah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was giving a speech, and al-Hasan and al-Husayn came along, so he came down from the minbar, picked them up and put them in from of him, then he said: "Indeed Allaah has spoken the truth: 'Your wealth and your children are only a trial...' [al-Taghaabun 64:15 - interpretation of the meaning]."
(Izaalat al-sitaar 'an al-jawaab al-mukhtaar by Ibn 'Uthaymeen, 79-80).

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/pda/ref/islamqa/2209

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Jazak Allah Khair Brother Yousif..

‘Sadaqallaahul-’Adheem’ after reading the holy quran is Bidaa..