The supercomputer of Saudi Arabia.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
:salam2:
Saudi supercomputer lures researchers
Supercomputer's speed will make it sixth most powerful in the world

JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia - A new science and technology university in Saudi Arabia will house one of the world's largest supercomputers and it is helping lure top researchers to the conservative desert state.

The King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is due to open next year on the Red Sea coast near Jeddah, the most liberal city in a country where religious conservatives have extensive control over society.

Inside the campus, male and female students will be able to mingle freely, contrary to strict gender segregation enforced in most of the country. The university is part of a series of reforms by King Abdullah aiming to open the country up.

"The supercomputer is the cornerstone of this knowledge-based economy that we are seeking," said Majid Al-Ghaslan, in charge of the acquisition, design and development of the "Shaheen" supercomputer.

Named after the peregrine falcon, which reaches speeds of up to 340 kilometers per hour, Shaheen is expected to reach 222 teraflops, a measure equaling a trillion floating point operations per second, Ghaslan said. This will make it sixth most powerful computer in the world.

Shaheen will be able to simulate the Red Sea environment and model oil fields in three dimensions.

Although Saudi Arabia has immense financial resources as the world's biggest oil exporter, the parameters of school and university education are governed by religious strictures and many subjects are even off-limits for women to study.

The new university will offer research in biosciences and bioengineering, material sciences and engineering, applied mathematics and computational sciences.

With a $10 billion donation to its endowment from King Abdullah, it is able to lure experts from around the globe with the promise of almost unlimited funding for research work.

"KAUST is a remarkable addition to the world's resources in high-end computing," said David Keyes, Chair of the Mathematical and Computer Sciences and Engineering Division, who is moving from Columbia University in the United States.

"The machine that is being purchased here is one of the main attractions to me," he said.

The supercomputer will be used by KAUST and its partners including Cornell University, the University of Oxford, Stanford University, and Texas A&M University.

:wasalam:

Shahzad

wats the use of those supercomputers? Since saudis are busy making large parks and buildings for nothing. They are doing nothing in this world.

nori suja'i

i feel sad & scared when i heard that now, they're building more taller buildings/hotels surrounding The Ka'ba as our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. premonition about one of the sign of 'kee'amah'. May Allah save us from destruction, ameen.

Meraj

Brother

i feel sad & scared when i heard that now, they're building more taller buildings/hotels surrounding The Ka'ba as our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. premonition about one of the sign of 'kee'amah'. May Allah save us from destruction, ameen.

This is how it would look like in future......

NewLayOutForHaram.jpg

a_stranger

((Inside the campus, male and female students will be able to mingle freely, contrary to strict gender segregation enforced in most of the country. The university is part of a series of reforms by King Abdullah aiming to open the country up.))

one of the few things that is good in Saudi Arabia is that males don`t mix with females.....:(:( Now they are breaking the teachings of Islam step by step.

nori suja'i

Jazak'Allahoo Khairan for the post, i feel myself smaller than the fly, pls pardon us & all the muslims whether died or alive oh Allah......i'm terribly scared.

a_stranger

Be carefull

Women in saudi Arabia have rights to learn and work but in approximatly islamic manner (not exatly) since many people (Saudi) are trying to break the rules of Islam and follow the west blindly......i don`t say that Saudi Arabia is perfect or completly islamic but it is in some rules more islamic than any other place ......Now there is a huge tendency to make Arabia just like any other place false higab(Higab that doesn`t satisfy the true conditions of higab), mixing male and females , shamefull tv programmes, ......etc....please brothers and sisters never be helpfull to anyone who is trying to destroy the good in an islamic country ....................Be carefull.Allah knows best.

Skywalker

As-salam0'alaikum,

Its quite strange...People are critisizing King Abdullah's move...Infact he should be applauded for what he is doing. I don't know what kind of future people who are critisizing it wants for Islam.

I see it as a new chapter in the history of Islam...n hope inshAllah one day it will become a great learning centre for all the Muslims of the world.

a_stranger

To learn is an islamic demand for all, but mixing women and men is compeletly unislamic.

To prevent mixing :The Prophet has told us that the best rows (in prayer) for men are the first (front) ones, and the worst for them are the last ones, while for women it is the opposite. [Reported by Muslim] (This applies to the case where men and women are praying together )

The wives of the prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) used to relate knowledge to the Companions. They used to do it from behind a curtain.

Purityof hearts is very important in Islam.

:salam2: that is great they are opening this university but they should also learn how to use it. just installing it is not enough

Salem9022

I don't really understand why many people here hate saudi arabia? At least they are doing something for their country, most of you here can't say the same thing about your own countries.

Also Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which was founded upon tawheed and by people who followed the sunnah according to the salaf correctly. can any of you say the same thing about your countries? No.

Also there is nothing wrong with constructing tall buildings in Islam. we shouldn't interperet the Quran and Sunnah in our understanding.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
To learn is an islamic demand for all, but mixing women and men is compeletly unislamic.

To prevent mixing :The Prophet has told us that the best rows (in prayer) for men are the first (front) ones, and the worst for them are the last ones, while for women it is the opposite. [Reported by Muslim] (This applies to the case where men and women are praying together )

The wives of the prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) used to relate knowledge to the Companions. They used to do it from behind a curtain.

Purityof hearts is very important in Islam.

As-salaamu `alaykum

Jazaak Allaah khayr. I think the bigger problem is that... not the super-computer or the building! The thing is, Saudi has alhamdulillaah, segregated the genders and it'd be a shame if that was to go for the purpose of some silly uni.

Was-salaam

saffanah

speak good or silent
wats the use of those supercomputers? Since saudis are busy making large parks and buildings for nothing. They are doing nothing in this world.

Alhamdulillah, Saudi Arabia had great contribution to my country after the Tsunami in Aceh and earthquake in Yogyakarta. The Saudi Government delivered a large amount of food aid, medical aid, also they built houses and mosques for our people.
May Allah grant them great rewards. Amin

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
It looks like the major concern expressed here is because of the following:
Inside the campus, male and female students will be able to mingle freely, contrary to strict gender segregation enforced in most of the country. The university is part of a series of reforms by King Abdullah aiming to open the country up.

I think this is more like the writters wish than an actuality. A university campus is the extension of a society and so I don't think it will become a dating center or a western style university campus environment.

The other concern comes from the artist's vision posted on this thread about the so-called future look of Makkah Mukarama.
I think this is just that... "a vision", and it will most probably remain a vision. The cost of building something like this would be huge, and just for the Haj season this will be extremely un-economical.

a_stranger

Saudi Arabia

Brothers and sisters, We used to have (In Saudi Arabia) a very good rules for prevent mixing of males and Females and a good encourgment for women to wear Higab and gard their Modesty, Now (very sorry to say) their is people (totaly unislamic) who calls women to lighten their higab ,to follow westren style , to mix with men they use tv, work and study as a tool . A women can study and work and be in a avery high status but in an islamic manner(Actually we have a very good no. of female students, doctors, teachers, nurses,.........etc), the westren pattern proved its failier and support a very low moral system from an islamic point of view. We(Saudis) want our country to develope in all respects, and garding islaimic values is a must.... to keep things in Balance. How can Saudi Arabia preaches Islam while violating it`s teachings on it`s own land?

nori suja'i

I'm not concern if they build the highrise building in other parts of Saudi Arabia but its in the Holy Land and if too many excavations or rebuildings, the area (Ka'ba) will sooner or later be sinking deeper and deeper. I'm aware that muslim population already increase very fast but don't forget that Allah Have Power in everything whether to make a place wider or smaller, Allahoo Akbar.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
It looks like the major concern expressed here is because of the following:

I think this is more like the writters wish than an actuality. A university campus is the extension of a society and so I don't think it will become a dating center or a western style university campus environment.

The other concern comes from the artist's vision posted on this thread about the so-called future look of Makkah Munawara.
I think this is just that... "a vision", and it will most probably remain a vision. The cost of building something like this would be huge, and just for the Haj season this will be extremely un-economical.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

I'm thinking the same.

Was-salaam

autumn

Strength in Unity
I don't really understand why many people here hate saudi arabia? At least they are doing something for their country, most of you here can't say the same thing about your own countries.

Also Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which was founded upon tawheed and by people who followed the sunnah according to the salaf correctly. can any of you say the same thing about your countries? No.

Also there is nothing wrong with constructing tall buildings in Islam. we shouldn't interperet the Quran and Sunnah in our understanding.

yes it may be the only country in the world founded upon tawheed...but sadly it also can be one of the most corrupted countries..no offence..being directly controlled by america and westerners getting their profit using the pilgrimes by their five star hotels... in an islamic country that is considered corrupted...also (but this may not only be in saudi) the women are treated bad..not all..but there is this story that a woman went out with a man and they were attack in their car...the woman got treated very badly and also got lashes while the man escaped (got nothing)..ya that is not the true way of Islam...in this case they are being too extreme until the whole point is gone or turned in other direction. but the thing that they follow the law that is good, cant find that everywhere.