Trying to do Dawah while having risk of falling into sins ???

Serving Him

As salam alaykum

I have had this thought of leaving using computer for sake of avoiding the risk of falling into sins (if you know what i do mean...) and also to avoid being obsessed with internet, unless i really need to use it for some reasons.

I try to do dawah through my profiles in a few websites (such as facebook) but i keep checking them time to time for messages and maybe you know that it makes you obsessed with it and nowadays everywhere there is fitnah of girls so maybe in beginning you have good intention but by time your desires can get over you. And especially if you are an internet user this is a bigger fitnah. Therefore i am in dilemma of whether i should close my internet accounts such as facebook and so on, then maybe i will be less attracted to world and desires. Even though MAYBE the little dawah i am trying to do will also end.

I fear that maybe that little dawah i am trying to do will stop and it maybe be bad (even though only Allah knows if i really need to do that or not, or whether i get ajr or not when i quit internet) but in other hand everyday i am so close to commit sins and be attached to this worldy desires. And i dont know which scale will be heavier in day of judgement, if i do any sins here but still keep having profiles and sharing things.

What do you think brothers and sisters ?

a_stranger

Wa alaikim alsalam

I think as muslems we should avoid sins as much as we can ( there is no excuse) . If you feel that internet is corrupting your heart then you should leave it. Try some other way for dawah. How can you call for Allah subhanahu wa taaala while your heart is blocked ?

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua`alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy has posted some good links full of advice. Please check it out. Jazaaha Allaahu khaayr.

However, one thing needs to be clear. Praying istikhaarah should be done in all affairs [Read here] but when it comes to leaving a sin, then one must take heed of leaving it because the longer and the more he commits it, the darker will his heart be. And it is replacing the sins with good deeds such as involuntary prayers, dhikir, tawbah, istighfaar that will help cleanses the heart, in shaa Allaah.

Thus, in this brother's situation, it is advisable for him to break himself from the fake attachment that he has towards Facebook or any other unbeneficial sites, for that matter. Metaphorically speaking, you have become a "slave" to the internet as you have that anxious feeling of needing to check it every 5 minutes. Break free from that enslavement and replace it with enslaving your heart and soul to The Al-Mighty Allaah subhaanahu wa Ta`ala who has given you life until this moment.

Brother, at some point in life, we are all struggling with our own nafs and weaknesses, our bad habits that we know we need to cut it off, but end up falling into the same trap over again. However, you must not despair of Allaah's Mercy and continue making dua`a to Allaah so that He will (as only He can) gives you the strengths to leave the sin for His Sake. Only for His Sake.

As for giving da`wah while falling into sins. Every son of Adam is not free from making sins. But the difference between us, believers, with unbelievers is that we acknowledge our shortcomings hence we immediately repent to Allaah. But that doesn't mean we have to abandon giving dawah altogether. One important thing to note is that always ask ourselves: If we are passionately and proactively giving dawah but our own inner self (spiritually) hasn't change to become better, recheck our intention. Are we giving dawah for Allaah's sake or for fame?

Also, islah (upgrading and improving our characters) and dawah should occur simultaneously. One cannot just be a faithful worshiper (an `abid) but neglecting his obligations to convey the good to others while one also cannot keep advising people while not walking the talk first.

"Great is hatred in the sight of Allah that you say what you do not do." [61:3]

I recall reading a fatwa at islamqa about a brother using the internet for the sake of dawah but then he fell into the trap of shaytaan and went into unlawful sites. And he was advised to leave the net. [can't seem to find it now]

I hope this should help if not much, a little. My sincere advice: Deactivate your Facebook for a while. Dis-engage yourself from the internet, try doing it if not for a few weeks, a few days. Trust me, you will feel a lot better from within, knowing that you don't have the social virtual world to keep checking but able to utilize your time towards getting yourself closer to Your Creator.

May Allaah gives us all the strengths to leave that which He dislikes and practice doing that which pleases Him. Ameen.

Wa`alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaah.

strive-may-i

Walaikum Salaam,

You know the answers. Dawah to self first, is the right approach. Fix before fruitless actions fixates you forever.
As Per Ghazali - 'Islamic way of life is fundamental to acquiring guidance through God-consciousness (taqwa). The knowledge should be sought with a true intent of gaining guidance, peity and Highest standard of moral etiqeuitte. And goes onto quote Prohpet (Pbuh) "He who increases in information, but not in guidance, increases only in distance from Allah Most High".

According to Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah, eemaan (faith) is “belief in the heart, words on the tongue and actions of the body.

Read TTI Thread:
Ibn al-Qayyim on How to Rectify Oneself

To achieve inner piety, the only way is purity of our intentions and actions, and this alone is a believers focus. The strength of god-consciousness, imaan, will power, humility increases with practice, and becomes strong enough to ward off evil influences. Until then if keeping away from distractions helps, then do whats needed to keep the distractions out. Time ticks. May Allah help us to that end... Ameen

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
i hope i can apply them

In shaa Allaah you can so long that you have a strong will to mujahadah an-nafs (strive against you evil desires).

Do ponder over the beautiful verses in Surah Al-Ankaboot.

Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? [2]

But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars. [3]

Or do those who do evil deeds think they can outrun Us? Evil is what they judge. [4]

Whoever should hope for the meeting with Allah - indeed, the term decreed by Allah is coming. And He is the Hearing, the Knowing. [5]

And whoever strives only strives for [the benefit of] himself. Indeed, Allah is free from need of the worlds. [6]

And those who believe and do righteous deeds - We will surely remove from them their misdeeds and will surely reward them according to the best of what they used to do. [7]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And those who believe and do righteous deeds - We will surely admit them among the righteous [into Paradise]. [9]

And of the people are some who say, "We believe in Allah ," but when one [of them] is harmed for [the cause of] Allah , they consider the trial of the people as [if it were] the punishment of Allah . But if victory comes from your Lord, they say, "Indeed, We were with you." Is not Allah most knowing of what is within the breasts of all creatures? [10]

And Allah will surely make evident those who believe, and He will surely make evident the hypocrites. [11]

And those who disbelieve say to those who believe, "Follow our way, and we will carry your sins." But they will not carry anything of their sins. Indeed, they are liars. [12]

But they will surely carry their [own] burdens and [other] burdens along with their burdens, and they will surely be questioned on the Day of Resurrection about what they used to invent. [13]

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamua`alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

Sister Seeking Allah's Mercy has posted some good links full of advice. Please check it out. Jazaaha Allaahu khaayr.

However, one thing needs to be clear. Praying istikhaarah should be done in all affairs [Read here] but when it comes to leaving a sin, then one must take heed of leaving it because the longer and the more he commits it, the darker will his heart be.

Wasalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

I put isthikhara before "avoiding what's doubtful" because the brother was confused for leaving a good (which was getting him khair) for achieving more goodness (which will get him khair). He can perform ishtikhara if he has to choose between two khairs.

However, as per him his dawah also makes him more prone to that which is causing him harm, I added "avoiding what's doubtful" as a second point to cover the remaining loopholes.

May Allah forgive us for our mistakes and guide us all.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
He can perform ishtikhara if he has to choose between two khairs

Yes, true that istikhaarah should be done when choosing between two khayraa. However if you [talking generally, not referring specifically to you] read in the link from Islamqa that I posted above, it says that:

This shows that it is mustahabb to pray istikhaarah for the one who is thinking about doing something, whether the matter is evidently good or not. This is in accordance with the hadeeth of Jaabir in Saheeh al-Bukhaari: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach us pray istikhaarah in all things.” And perhaps she prayed istikhaarah because she was afraid that she might fall short with regard to his rights (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). End quote.

In the case of this brother though, it is clear that the harms outweigh the goods based on [Brother, I hope you don't mind me re-quoting your words]:

i) "i keep checking them time to time for messages and maybe you know that it makes you obsessed with it"
ii) "in beginning you have good intention but by time your desires can get over you"
iii) "everyday i am so close to commit sins and be attached to this worldy desires"

Hence why I adviced to take heed leaving that which might seem to bring good [dawah] but actually harms the soul even more [the reasons mentioned above]. Moreover, when abandoning a sin, istikharaah is not necessarily needed. For example, one does not need to ask Allaah whether he should stop drinking alcohol.

...to that which is causing him harm, I added "avoiding what's doubtful"

Harm is harm. Similarly a sin is a sin. It is not something doubtful because a doubtful matter is when one is unsure whether it will bring good or bad.

The brother main concern was that maybe the little dawah he's doing will come to an end if he completely dis-engage from FB or the internet. But how I see it is that "our enemy" has clouded his judgment by beautifying the matter with the reason of making dawah. Dawah via the internet is not the only means. There are many other means to do dawah and most important actually is giving it to those around us, in real life. His imaan was actually giving him alarms, telling him that while his intention might be good in the first place, but it is harming him spiritually.

Sister Seeking, I hope you don't take this as an attack but more of sharing thoughts with each other. I guess we see the situation differently thus why different solutions were given.

In the end, we all wish well for the brother and hope that he'll overcome this test of his and likewise to everyone of us who is struggling with our very own nafs every single day.

Wa`alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatullaah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
^ I am aware of what you have mentioned in your post above, and thus I added point 2.

And having added point 2, I don't seem to find too much of a difference between what I'm saying and what you are saying. I am giving Isthikhara precedence over avoiding what is doubtful. I tend to give it more importance because it personally gives me a lot of confidence in what I do and satisfies me even if the results appear to be undesirable. I think it leaves no place for shaytan to make us regret a good desicion we've made when we are sure that what we've done is done upon the guidance of Allah. You are doing the opposite, giving point 2 precedence over point 1. Either ways, the result Inshaa`Allah is the same.