Urgent Attention required

mohammadyunus

yesterday i had a discussion with a jain and he wanted to explain to me similarities between jainism and islam. I told him that since jainism doesnt believe in god as creator it is a atheist religion whereas the central theme of islam is belief in the almighty Allah, discussion on similiarities was futile. He said he wanted to learn about islam( i doubt his intentions to be correct). He asked me some reference materials. Which website should i refer him to ??

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Assalaamualaikum,

Mohammad bhai, why don't you ask him to join here. I am sure we all will be glad to help him understand the beauty of religion and regarding Jainism, i don't have much knowledge about it, other than the fact that they follow "Mahavira" who was a well-renowned saint. But i am sure, there would surely be overlapping of ideas between Jainism and Hinduism. I am a little aware of hinduism and i can share the fallacies which i "personally" felt and didn't go well with "my" logic - completely my opinion(no offence or degrading any religion). Plus you can ask him to see Zakir Naik's video. He makes sense to me :)

Do keep us updated on it :)

Allah Hafiz :)
Peace :)

strive-may-i

yesterday i had a discussion with a jain and he wanted to explain to me similarities between jainism and islam. I told him that since jainism doesnt believe in god as creator it is a atheist religion whereas the central theme of islam is belief in the almighty Allah, discussion on similiarities was futile. He said he wanted to learn about islam( i doubt his intentions to be correct). He asked me some reference materials. Which website should i refer him to ??
Assalaamu Alaikum,

Discussion on similarity is futile thats correct.

Since the first human, Islam is the one true religion, and all others are deviations, there definitely would be traces of the original message, in all deviations . The "innovations" and human additions brings the death of these deviations, The inconsistencies, dietification of humans, idols, makes humans loose belief in creator and loose hope in humanity. We see that happening in christianity, Jew, deviant sects within Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and many more.
The message of Prophet:saw: is here to stay.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "My ummah is an ummah which carries out the commands of Allaah; those who let them down or differ from them do not harm them and they will keep adhering to this path until the Day of Judgement."
Mui'aawiyah and Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with them) reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "A group of my ummah will continue victoriously adhering to the truth until the Last Hour begins."
Al-Mugheerah ibn Shuï'bah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) say: "Some people of my ummah will remain victorious over the people until the decree of Allaah reaches them."

Prophet :saw: said we are all measured based on our intentions and goodness in our actions. Goodness will not outweigh the evil, unless its powered by the straigh path preached by the Messengers of Allah. Islam and Imaan in equal measures, in addition to the will to submit to God, brings peace, harmony and eternal tranquility. Its only Straight path to fulfilling the original Covenant with the creator.

Just for knowledge and awareness, Use it wisely, and not for scoring points, in heated arguments (and abuses). Correct me, if am wrong.
Jainism is - "pantheism. No creator. Universe is eternal, always existed, everthing always existed. The universe is the mix of soul and non-soul At Highest is a person who broke free from Life-death cycle. Rest always go through life-death cycle. The Mahavir is one such highest, according to Jainism. Mahavir is heavenly-human (idol is diety), not founder, but identified as the last of the leaders. Then there is human ,sub-human and hellish human types. The idol worship is different from the idol worship in other religions, as per Jain practitioners. The path to salvation is more closer to buddhism, but even more extreme, as per their doctrines. Salvation of soul is when it frees itself from the consequence of its actions. So actions has to be nullified to free soul and get salvation! Soul is trapped in actions and making actions zero is when salvation is achieved [now this is what i gather from my understanding], thus escaping the life death cycle to become heavenly being. The only purpose of soul is to achieve this heavenly-human, Soul and human again are not created. The diety is worshipped but supposedly not like in hinduism. And about this salvation and Enlightenment the less spoken the more better. That salvation is not possible by all, is the underlying basis. There are sub levels between the human and heavenly-human. Vegan, non-violence ( but for self defence its approved), is presented, but the society has different classes, based on salvation. I think, Interestingly the salvation achieved of a soul is decided by other humans? Anyways, Two modes prescribed:
1. Ascetic mode: For those who want salvation, Salvation is not for all. Is a form of extreme renunciation. Abandon normal life if one needs spiritual bliss, is their take. stuff like covering face so that insect does not enter the mouth, Sweeping the ground in ascetics path, so that ascetic many not trample on a bug in ground(done by the non-ascetic), nudity since an ascetic is moving from actions to zero action.
2. Non-Ascetic mode: Choose whats doable, celibacy after male child, Vegan, Assist the ascetic in salvation pursuit. These are householders. Househodlers dont get salvation. Most would fall under this category

Heavily influenced Buddhism and Hinduism. Jainisms vegetarianism influenced hinduism, as per some research, with documented proofs. The early vedantic religions had duality (creation/creator), non-veganism, sacrifices etc. The current hinduism is an aggregation of doctrines (man-made), thats the general view. As time passed, the practitioners of Buddhism and Hinduism increased Jainism declined. So in a way many in sub-continent converted. Everything that comes with change, including the resistance and reactions were seen in the past society and are well documented

Notion of Heaven-being , hell-being, salvation does not align with what Allah says in Quran. Differences begin right at the creator/creation... Hence comparison is out of question. When Umar (R) had Torah in his hand, Prophet:saw: gently pointed out, Quran is better book to read. And Umar(r), saw the wisdom behind it, and obeyed.

Yes you know, a simple rule, we cannot do anything more than take a horse to water. For those who are unprejudiced and seek actionable knowledge, the path becomes easy. Its all about fulfilling the original Covenant, between creator and each of us. May Almighty help each of us... Ameen.

Point to the links in Brother Mabsoots signature? [Or copy them, and send it to him]
Links:
Who Is Allah?
What is a Muslim?
Answer to 7 common question on Islam

Incase you dont want to point him to TTI.

The Brief illustrated guide to islam is a good starting point (Read it before you send it to him)

Hope this helps.

mohammadyunus

yes, you are correct in what you have posted. The silliest ( if you want to call that) or stupidest (according to me) part is that 100% jains ( i was a jain earlier) believe in existence of God as creator of the universe and when you point out to them that jainism does not believe in God they accept that as well !!!! What can you say ???
i have tried to explain this to them many times but no results...

what do you think...

strive-may-i

yes, you are correct in what you have posted. The silliest ( if you want to call that) or stupidest (according to me) part is that 100% jains ( i was a jain earlier) believe in existence of God as creator of the universe and when you point out to them that jainism does not believe in God they accept that as well !!!! What can you say ???
i have tried to explain this to them many times but no results...
what do you think...

Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmathullaahi wabarakaatuh,

Its not easy at all (to bear), we all understand. Patience (Sabr). We just obey the creator (through good action, peaceful co-existence and correct belief) and pass the undiluted guidance given through Allah's messenger, is it not? We know, each of us, is equally responsible for belief (or lack of it) and the deeds. That's the most we can do.

"Lord of the East and the West; there is no Allah save Him; so choose thou Him alone for thy defender - And bear with patience what they utter, and part from them with a fair leave-taking. Leave Me to deal with the deniers, lords of ease and comfort (in this life); and do thou respite them awhile." [ Qur'an 73:09-11]

Thats because of the covenant (which i mentioned in early post). Its significant and explains much. The command to fulfill the covenant, between Allah and each of us:

"And [mention] when your Lord took from the children of Adam - from their loins - their descendants and made them testify of themselves, [saying to them], "Am I not your Lord?" They said, "Yes, we have testified." [This]134 - lest you should say on the day of Resurrection, "Indeed, we were of this unaware." Or say: 'Our forefathers before us who associated others with Allah in His divinity; we were merely their offspring who followed them. And would You destroy us for that which the unrighteous did?'135 And thus do We expound the signs136 that they may turn back (to the right path)..." [Qur'an 7:172-174]

Thafsir: Ibn Kathir

134. This event, according to several traditions, took place at the time of the creation of Adam. Apart from the prostration of the angels before Adam and the proclamation that man would be God's vicegerent on earth, all the future progeny of Adam were gathered, and were endowed with both existence and consciousness in order to bear witness to God's lordship. The best interpretation of this event is found in a statement by, 'Ubayy b. Ka'b, who has probably given the substance of what he had heard from the Prophet (peace be on him): 'God gathered all human beings, divided them into different groups, granted them human form and the faculty of speech, made them enter into a covenant, and then making them witnesses against themselves He asked them: 'Am I not your Lord?' They replied: 'Assuredly you are Our Lord.' Then God told them: 'I call upon the sky and the earth and your own progenitor, Adam, to be witness against you lest you should say on the Day of Judgement that you were ignorant of this. Know well that no one other than Me deserves to he worshipped and no one other than Me is your Lord. So do not ascribe any partner to Me. I shall send to you My Messengers who will remind you of this covenant which you made with Me. I shall send down to you My Books.' In reply all said: 'We witness that You are Our Lord and our Deity. We have no lord or deity other than You.' (Ahmad b. Hanbal, Musnad, vol. 5, p. 135 - Ed.)

This event has also been interpreted by some commentators in a purely allegorical sense. They are of the opinion that the purpose of the Qur'an is merely to emphasize that the acceptance of God's lordship is innate in human nature. However, this was narrated in such a way as to suggest that the event did actually take place. We do not subscribe to this allegorical interpretation of the primordial covenant of man with God. For both the Qur'an and Hadith recount it not only as an actual happening, but also affirm that the covenant would be adduced as an argument against man on the Day of Judgement. There remains, therefore, no ground whatsoever to interpret the event in terms of mere allegory.

In our own view the event did take place. God caused all human beings whom He intended to create until the Last Day to come into existence. He endowed upon them life, consciousness and the faculty of speech, and brought home to them that there is no god or lord besides Him, and that Islam alone is the right way to serve Him............

135. The verse describes the purpose of the primordial covenant. The purpose is to make every person responsible for his deeds so that if he rebels against God he will be held fully accountable for that rebelfion. Because of the covenant, no one will be able either to plead for acquittal on grounds of ignorance, or blame his misdeeds on his ancestors. In other words, this primordial covenant has been mentioned as the reason for the inherent awareness in every single person that God is the only Lord and Deity. Thus, none can totally absolve himself of his responsibility on the plea that he was altogether ignorant, or transfer the blame for his error to the corrupt environment in which he was brought up. Now, it can be argued that even if the covenant did take place, no human being remembers its occurrence. No human being is aware that a long time ago, at the time of creation, he had affirmed, in response to God's query, that God indeed was his Lord. This being the case, it can be further argued that no charge can be legitimately brought against man on the ground of a covenant with God which he no longer remembers to have made. In response to this it can be said that had the covenant been made fully in man's conscious memory, it would be meaningless for God to put man to the test in this world. Hence, there can be no denying that the covenant is not preserved in man's conscious memory. But it has doubtlessly been preserved in man's sub-conscious mind. In this respect the primordial covenant is no different from other pieces of knowledge in man's sub-conscious mind. Whatever man has so far achieved in the way of culture and civilization can be attributed to his latent potentialities. All external factors and internal motivations simply account for helping the actualization of those potentialities. Neither education nor training nor environmental factors can bring out anything which is not potentially found in the human mind. Likewise, external factors have no power to root out man's latent potentialities. External factors may, at the most, cause a person to deflect from the course dictated by sound human nature. However, man's sound nature is inclined to resist the pressure of external forces and exert itself in order to find an outlet. As we have said earlier, this is not peculiar to man's religious propensity alone, but is equally true of all his mental potentialities. In this regard the following points are particularly noteworthy:

(1) All man's potentialities exist in the sub-conscious mind and prove their existence when they manifest themselves in the form of human action.
(2) The external manifestation of these potentialities requires external stimuli such as instruction, upbringing. and attitudinal orientation. In other words, our actions consist of the responses of our inherent potentialities to external stimuli.
(3) Man's inner potentialities can be suppressed both by false urges within him as well as external influences by trying to pervert and distort those latent potentialities. The potentialities themselves, however, cannot he totally rooted out.

The same holds true of man's intuitive knowledge regarding his position in the universe and his relationship with his Creator. In this connection the following points should be borne in mind:
(1) That man has always had such intuitive knowledue is evident from the fact that this knowledge has surfaced throughout history in every period and in every part of the world, and which no power has so far been able to extirpate.
(2) That this intuitive knowledge conforms to objective reality, is borne out by, the fact that whenever this knowledge has influenced human life, it has had beneficial results.
(3) That in order to manifest itself in his practical life, man's intuitive knowledge has always required external stimuli. The stimuli have consisted of the advent of the Prophets (peace be on them), the revelation of the Heavenly Books, and the striving of those who have tried to follow them and invite others to do the same. It is for this reason that the Qur'an has been desienated as mudhakkir (the reminder): dhikr (remembrance); tadhkirah (admonition). and the function of the Qur'an has been characterized as tadhkir(reminding). What this suggests is that the Prophets, the Heavenly Books and those who invite people to the truth do not seek to provide human beings with something new, something which exists outside of them. Their task rather consists of bringing to the surface and rejuvenating what is latent, though dormant, in man himself.

Throughout the ages man has always positively responded to this 'Reminder'. This itself is testimony to the fact that it is embodied in a knowledge which has always been recognized by; man's soul.

Forces arising from ignorance and obscurantism, lust and bigotry, and the erroneous teachings and promptings of devils - human as well as jinn - have always attempted to suppress, conceal, and distort the fact that the truth preached by the Prophets is embedded in man's soul. These attempts gave rise to polytheism, atheism, religious misdirection and moral corruption. Despite the combined efforts of the forces of falsehood, however, this knowledge has always had an imprint on the human heart. Hencel, whenever any effort was made to revive that knowledge, it has proved successful.

Doubtlessly those who are bent on denying the truth can resort to a great deal of sophistry in order to deny or at least create doubt and confusion about the existence of this knowledge. However on the Day of Resurrection the Creator will revive in man the memory of the first assembly when man made his covenant with God and accepted Him as his Only Lord. On that occasion God will provide evidence to the effect that the covenant always remained imprinted on man's soul. He will also show how from time to time man tried to suppress his inner voice which urged him to respond to the call of the covenant; how again and again his heart pressed him to affirm the truth; how his intuition induced him to denounce the errors of belief and practice; how the truth ingrained in his soul tried to express itself and respond to those who called to it; and how on each occasion he lulled his inner self to sleep because of his lust and bigotry.

However a Day will come when man will no longer be in a position to put forth specious arguments to justify his false claims. That will be the Day when man will have no option but to confess his error. It will then be impossible for people to say that they were ignorant, or negligent. In the words of the Qur'an: '...and they will bear witness against themselves that they had disbelieved' [Qur'an 6:130]

136. 'Signs' here refer to the imprints made by knowledge of the truth on the human heart which help towards cognition of the truth.