Wearing a ghutra...

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

Would it be pretentious of me to wear a ghutra when I'm at the masjid learning my Arabic? I often get grief from my mother for dressing outside my own culture... and once I wore a ghutra to the masjid for taraweh prayer and the imam's lips twitched when he gave me the salaam, as if he was trying not to smile...

Anyway - I am just curious!

JazakumAllah khair

D.

ximkoyra

Asalaamu alaikum -

Would it be pretentious of me to wear a ghutra when I'm at the masjid learning my Arabic? I often get grief from my mother for dressing outside my own culture... and once I wore a ghutra to the masjid for taraweh prayer and the imam's lips twitched when he gave me the salaam, as if he was trying not to smile...

Anyway - I am just curious!

JazakumAllah khair

D.

It might be a bit much for just arabic lessons, but I see it all the time in my masjid during Jummah. If you're second guessing and thinking it might seem pretentious, then you should probably just save it for Eid or something. If you're going to go with a "I'm going to wear what I like" attitude, then people will eventually adjust to you. In my opinion, it's all about the type of confidence you show.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum akhee

May Allaah reward you for your intentions and make your intentions for His sake.

With all due respect akhee, you should obey your mother in terms of your dress-code. There is nothing specifically obligatory in terms of what a man can wear, as long as the clothes cover his `awrah and it is above his ankles.

If your mother tells you not to wear a thobe, then you are better off obeying her (even though she is a non-muslim, may Allaah guide her to Islaam) as obeying her is obligatory while wearing a thobe or ghutrah or shalwaar is not. Remember, there is no obedience to the creation that causes disobedience to Allaah, but in matters of permissibility and matters that are mustahabb... if your mother tells you to not do it, you should not- because obeying her is obligatory.

Another point is that, generally the muslims should dress according to the `Urf (custom) of the people he lives around, as long as the clothes they wear do not go against the sharee`ah. This was the opinion of Ibn `Uthaymeen, Ibn Taymiyyah and other than them.

I hope you did not take any sort of offense from my words :)

I love you for the sake of Allaah

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaykum akhee

May Allaah reward you for your intentions and make your intentions for His sake.

With all due respect akhee, you should obey your mother in terms of your dress-code. There is nothing specifically obligatory in terms of what a man can wear, as long as the clothes cover his `awrah and it is above his ankles.

If your mother tells you not to wear a thobe, then you are better off obeying her (even though she is a non-muslim, may Allaah guide her to Islaam) as obeying her is obligatory while wearing a thobe or ghutrah or shalwaar is not. Remember, there is no obedience to the creation that causes disobedience to Allaah, but in matters of permissibility and matters that are mustahabb... if your mother tells you to not do it, you should not- because obeying her is obligatory.

Another point is that, generally the muslims should dress according to the `Urf (custom) of the people he lives around, as long as the clothes they wear do not go against the sharee`ah. This was the opinion of Ibn `Uthaymeen, Ibn Taymiyyah and other than them.

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Assalamu Alaaykum Wa rahmatullah,

I would agree, its a nice answer and also it perhaps is better for da'wah purposes as well / community relations.

I can understand that out of love of the Deen brothers would want to wear dress that perhaps are worn by Muslims, but at same time, they will be alienating or confusing the people around them.

I have to be honest, I love wearing the thawb and ghutra, and even I wear the iqaal (which is a black ring holding the scarf in place) and have been wearing since I was a very young boy - but, I dont wear such clothes often in Europe. (although I did wear it once, when I was around 10 years old, on a non-school uniform day to the amusement of my entire school and its non-Muslim pupils)

:D And yes, if everyone listened to their mothers (on the good actions), the would would be a better place!

DanyalSAC

Assalaamu `alaykum akhee

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Asalaamu alaiakum -

With all due respect, I am 46 years old and kinda feel that not wearing a thobe because my mother disagrees with it is silly. She has also told me she disagrees with my beard, but I won't shave it. I have one young friend who shaves his face clean because his mom told him to; personally I agree we should obey our parents but not blindly and not when we're told to go against the sunnah.

I wear thobes because I feel Western clothing is not concealing enough. Not long after I became Muslim I had trouble with my shirt riding up in the front & my pants slipping down in the back; thobes took care of that. Also, many of the younger (and some of the older) brothers at my masjid wear jeans to salaat - jeans that are so tight that they clearly show their genitalia.

I will continue to wear a thobe because it affords a much better cover than pants do - at least for me. Most of my friends wear thobes for that same reason.

Edited to add: After reading Mabsoot's reply - I wear a shmaug with egal on occasion, and when I do I'm suddenly everyone's best friend. With a ghutra though I don't wear the egal.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Asalaamu alaiakum -

With all due respect, I am 46 years old and kinda feel that not wearing a thobe because my mother disagrees with it is silly. She has also told me she disagrees with my beard, but I won't shave it. I have one young friend who shaves his face clean because his mom told him to; personally I agree we should obey our parents but not blindly and not when we're told to go against the sunnah.

I wear thobes because I feel Western clothing is not concealing enough. Not long after I became Muslim I had trouble with my shirt riding up in the front & my pants slipping down in the back; thobes took care of that. Also, many of the younger (and some of the older) brothers at my masjid wear jeans to salaat - jeans that are so tight that they clearly show their genitalia.

I will continue to wear a thobe because it affords a much better cover than pants do - at least for me. Most of my friends wear thobes for that same reason.

Edited to add: After reading Mabsoot's reply - I wear a shmaug with egal on occasion, and when I do I'm suddenly everyone's best friend. With a ghutra though I don't wear the egal.

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Maa shaa'Allaah, I always knew you were old enough to be my uncle :) May Allaah reward you with good and keep you steadfast.

Many times when my Eemaan is low, its the practising revert brothers and sisters who give me a eemaan boost. And I ask Allaah to keep all our revert brothers and sisters steadfast.

As much as I agree that you are adult enough to make your own decisions, it has to be kept in mind that in Islaam, no matter how old you are, as long as your parents are alive then one must obey them in matters where it is allowed to obey them. Obviously, if your mother tells you to shave off your beard you should not obey her because growing the beard is waajib and there is not obedience to the creation over Allaah... but wearing a thawb is not waajib.

There are a lot of western clothes that are not tight and long enough to cover your `awrah.

Alhamdulillaah, on my side my mother is happy to see me wear a thawb so I wear it all the time and in addition, the part of london I live in- wearing a thawb is a normal thing and not something that "stands" out :)