weddings and alcohol

mrsmcginty

i jsut have a quick question which would solve alot of discussions between me and my husband to be.
I am a revert from a white non-religious background and he is a "born" muslim from a Pakistani background and we wish to have a Muslim wedding.
My question is should our guests be allowed to bring alcohol with them if they wish (we would definitely not provide alcohol for them ourselves) or should we say no? we have had many hours of discussion about this but have come to no conclusions
please help!

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalaamu alaikum,

Definitely NO. It's your wedding and it should be one of the most solemn and halaal days of your life. The guests should resepect your wedding and should understand. May Allaah swt keep your wedding in accordance to the Qur'aan and Sunnaah Ameen.

I aplogize if I don't have supporting evidence from the Qur'aan and Sunnaah saying that it's forbidden for other people to bring haraam stuff on your day but Inshaa'Allaah our bros and sis does.

There follows a list of haraam things which both men and women should avoid in the wedding party:

2- Taking pictures, whether men do that amongst themselves or women do that amongst themselves.

Asalaamalikum,

I am not a picture fanatic but seldom I take pictures at weddings, family gatherings, etc, but I've never heard of this ruling before. It's from the site you provided. Could you please provide me evidence from the Quran or sunnah that taking pictures at weddings are haram? Also, what about having a video camera at your wedding?

Is Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid only referring to cameras in weddings or in all occassions? I need to see some evidence please. Jazakallah khair.

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Asalaamalikum,

I am not a picture fanatic but seldom I take pictures at weddings, family gatherings, etc, but I've never heard of this ruling before. It's from the site you provided. Could you please provide me evidence from the Quran or sunnah that taking pictures at weddings are haram? Also, what about having a video camera at your wedding?

Is Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid only referring to cameras in weddings or in all occassions? I need to see some evidence please. Jazakallah khair.

:salam2:

Jazakallaahu Khayr for bringing that up. I didn't notice that part and now I'm worried because that means I can't take pictures should I get married too or at any occassion. Well looking at the bright side, that helps us with the budget no need to hire a wedding photographer LoL. I found this..

Taking pictures for memories

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Dont sister

In hadith, the prophet (PBUH) says: Allah has cursed alcohol, and the one who drinks it, and the one who serves it (to him), and the one who sells it, and the one who buys it, and the one who squeezes it (from grapes), and the one who hires him to do so, and the one who carrys it, and the one who it is being carried to.

you dont want drunk people in your wedding ... THIS IS NOT FUN

besides ... it is a chance to show your relatives that weddings can be nice without getting drunk

You dont want to start your married life with such a sin

May Allah bless you and your husband and give you happy life together and good offspring. amin.

:salam2:

Jazakallaahu Khayr for bringing that up. I didn't notice that part and now I'm worried because that means I can't take pictures should I get married too or at any occassion. Well looking at the bright side, that helps us with the budget no need to hire a wedding photographer LoL. I found this..

Taking pictures for memories

Salaam,

When I see the words "image making" that sounds like drawing rather than taking pictures. "Image taking" sounds more accurate for a camera. Isn't memories part of happiness?

All praises due to Allah and the mistakes are mine

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Salaam,

When I see the words "image making" that sounds like drawing rather than taking pictures. "Image taking" sounds more accurate for a camera. Isn't memories part of happiness?

All praises due to Allah and the mistakes are mine

:wasalam:

Ummm I don't know Wallaahu Ahlam. BUT taking pictures is still image making only that it's in the modern way with the use of camera and the printer.

mrsmcginty

thanks for all your replies.
lol i love the fact that every time i ask a muslim this question every one of them has assumed that my family will get drunk!!
i think i am finding this difficult as at white weddings we toast the bride and groom with champage, more as a symbol than the fact that it is alcohol. i dont want my wedding day to be a day where i force my beliefs on others, rather a day where we all come together and are happy.
in the link above it says

"7- The husband and wife exchanging rings and thus imitating the kuffaar, thinking that this will increase the husband’s love for his wife and vice versa. "

again this is traditional but should i be avoiding this??

and the photograph thing is a good point to. i'd like to have photographs to show my children and my relatives who live too far away to be involved in the ceremony, is this bad?

im sooooo confused :confused:

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I guess the photos and rings are probably alright provided you are not doing them just for the sake of making your wedding un-Islamic. It is similar to wearig pants: if you are doing it just to make your self look like a non-muslim then it is haram. However, as today such a thing is very common and does not have any religious implication then it should be fine ... me guess.

Still dont agree with Alcohol. Can you GUARANTEE that no one will get drunk ?

If the "toast" is a must then why dont you get something exotic and halal (such as coconut drinks - absolutely delicious) ? Would that make for it ?

I still think it is a chance to make your family see the muslim way of doing things and that it can be fun.

Allah knows best

mrsmcginty

i suppose you're right. i can't guarantee that no one will get drunk. i really like the sound of the coconut coktails instead of alcohol.
thank you for your help, i feel much better about things now and my partner will be pleased that i have come round to his way of thinking!!

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
First of all congratulations on your reversion, and May Allah bless you and your husband to be. Indeed, the marriage is a beautiful covenant between 2 persons (in this day and age i have to emphasise between a man and a woman), a pledge to go through life supporting one another, being loyal to one another, upon what? Upon obedience to the One who brought the 2 together, being garments for one another, and comforters.

Since marriage is instituted by Allah, it is appropriate that it is seen as an act of worship, as a means of drawing closer to Allah. How would it be then that this pledge of purity, is tainted with haraam? One of the ways that we deprive ourselves of the blessings of Allah, is by disobeying Him and giving preference to the obdedience of others. How so? Of course my sister, you do not want to be seen as 'imposing' things upon your family, but would you rather please Allah, who is the only one that possesses reward, or the people no matter how close they are to you through blood-ties, who possess not the least ability to reward or punish you? Of course you want your marriage to be blessed, but by whom? Allah the Most High or the people?

We believe that Alcohol is forbidden by Allah, and for a good reason. When we are teaching our children who may not understand the dangers of something, do we not impose limits upon them, for their betterment? Same way, by not allowing alcohol in your wedding, you are actaully benefitting your guests, as Islam is not only centred on the slef, rather it is to be used for the benefit of others. The legality of alcohol should not be considered in light of the probability of someone getting drunk, rather one sip of that haraam stuff is sufficient to show the intoxication of ones mind and obliviousness to the Laws of Allah. Feel confident, Allah is on your side! This will be a way of doing dawah to your family and friends, and subhanAllah, imagine your reward; on your wedding day you have encouraged good and forbidden evil! As with all things, calmly explain things to others with wisdom, and don't centre it on alcohol, start from your beautiful relationship with Allah, and how He in His infinite Wisdom has commanded us to refrain from some things, and attain to others.
May Allah bless you, and forgive me if i have said anything wrong.
Wassalaam

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
You are welcome sister

Hope all goes well with your wedding and it will be the beginning to a fruitful and happy life in this world and the hereafte. Amin.