What are Salafis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I wish to thank all of you.
My intent was to gain a greater understanding of the salafi movement here. From my ignorant perspective it appears that the members of the salafi groups here are lacking strong leadership.

I do not wish dissension. I just wanted a clearer definition. It causes confusion. I think a better question that I ask is why is there a need for a group of people to be calling themselves salafi. It seems to be a recent trend. Is there a politcial motivation behind this recent trend.

Is this a movement restricted to Muslims in the US? Or are there other very conservative groups outside the US.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam.

There are many misconceptions about these things, just as the non-Muslim have misconception about Islam and Muslims.

First of all we must know that the Salaf were the Early Generation of Muslims. They were the Sahaba, the Tabieen and Atba' Tabieen. According to the Hadith of the PRophet :saw: they were the best of Muslims. They were known as the Salaf-Salih - "pious predecessors" they were the Rightly guided Muslims.

They are the generation of Muslims we look to, to get our understanding of the Quran and the Hadith.

The Prophet :saw: said:

"The best of People is my generation (the one I lived in) then those after them, then those after them."

[Saheeh, Silsilatu Ahaadeeth Saheehah]

AND

"Hold on to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs after me. Hold on to it firmly. And beware of heretical innovations (Bid'ah) because each heretical innovation (Bid'ah) is a falsehood and each false- hood is a deviation from the right path." (Reported by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi who said it is a good and sound hadith, and Ibn Majah)

and the Prophet :saw:

"The example of the believers in their affection and compassion and benevolence is like the body; If one part of it becomes ill the whole body comes to its aid with fever and
sleeplessness." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

and the noble Prophet :saw:

"A group of my 'Ummah will continue to follow the truth prominently. Whoever betrays them or opposes them can never harm them to the Day of Judgment." (al-Bukhari and Muslim)

Many of you like this website, alhamdulillah. We try our best to make sure that only the fatwa of Scholars is placed here. Those that are known to follow the Quran and Sunnah. Infact, they are Salafi and this website is Salafi.

. We do not allow people to spread things that have no evidence or things that are based on unauthentic/weak evidence. -

I am sure, many of you agree that Islam must be followed by sticking to the Quran and hadith with the understanding of the early Muslims. If so, then you are doing what is the correct way. What I just explained is the real creed and methodology that a Muslim should have.

This "methodology" or as it is known in Arabic as "Manhaj" is what being "Sunni" means. It is what the great Muslim scholars of the past would label as the way of Ahlul Hadith (people of Hadith), Ahlul Athaar (people of narration), Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah (people of the Sunnah and the "jama'ah" which means the main correct group of Muslims, which according to Sahih Hadith, could even be ONE person! What counts is the person follows Islam according to how it was originally taught and sticking to that), Salafiyyah (Manhaj of the Pious Predecessors).

You can call us Sunni, Ahlul Hadith, Ahlus Sunnah it is all same thing. It is the way Muslim should be. If you read on, you will understand why. - As for why these label exists, then this can be explained too, inshaAllah. There are certainly many people who are confused as to these names, they believe it causes differing and that these are sects. This is totally not true and are conclusions based on ignorance.

We must call ourselves Muslims,

Allah says in the Quran:

(( And strive hard in Allâh's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islâmic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islâm), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islâmic Monotheism). It is He (Allâh) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'ân), that the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform As*!Salât (Iqamat-as-Salât), give Zakât and hold fast to Allâh [i.e. have confidence in Allâh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Helper! )) [Surah Al-Imrân 3:78]

We Are Sunni, meaning people of the Sunnah. Those who obey Allah, subhana wa ta'ala and the follow the Sunnah of the Messenger :saw: . But we can also say that we are upon the manhaj or methedology of the salaf. Salaf simply means the pious predecessors. It is the same thing..
This link provides some of the answers to some questions :

An Introduction to Salafi Da'wah

What is Salafiyyah ?

Here is a brief excerpt from the link above I have added some commentary., it explains who the Salaf are:

"They after all of the Comapanions - and at the head of them the rightly guided
Caliphs - are the leaders of the taabi'een and at the head of them: Sa'eed ibn
al-Musayyib (d. 90H), 'Urwah ibn Zubair (d. 94H), 'Alee ibn al-Hussain Zain al-'Aabideen
(d. 93H), Muhammad ibn Hanafiya (d. 80H), 'Ubaydullaah ibn 'Abdillaah ibn 'Utbah
ibn Mas'ood (d. 94H or later), Saleem ibn 'Abdillaah ibn 'Umar (d. 106H), Qaasim
ibn Muhammad ibn Abee Bakr as-Sadeeq (d. 106H), al-Hasan al-Basree (d. 110H),
Muhammad ibn Sireen (d. 110H), 'Umar ibn 'Abdul-'Azeez (d. 101H) and Muhammad
ibn Shihaab az-Zuhree (d. 125H).

Then the Atbaa'at-Taabi'een and at the head of them: Imaam Maalik (d. 179H), al-Awzaa'ee
(d. 157H), Sufiyaan ibn Sa'eed ath-Thawree (d. 161H), Sufyaan ibn Uyayna (d.
198H), Ismaa'eel ibn Ubya??? (d. 193H), Layth ibn Sa'd (d. 175H) and Aboo
Haneefah an-Nu'maan (d. 150H).

Then those who followed them and at the head of them: 'Abdullaah ibn al-Mubaarak
(d. 181H), Wakee' ibn al-Jarraah (d. 197H), the Imaam Muhammad ibn Idrees ash-Shaafi'ee
(d. 204H), 'Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Mahdee (d. 198H), Yahya ibn Sa'eed al-Qataan (d.
198H) and Afaan ibn Muslim (d. 219H).

Then their students who followed them in this methodology............... "

THis website, the Fatwa and the help we give to people is according to the Quran and Sunnah and way of the Salaf Salih.

Salaam,

We need this topic. I wonder often about the new "salafi". They are very doctrine bound, wear odd clothes, never are fun, and are very judgemental. I see many as being a sect. They seem to be the first to point out what is wrong with everyone one and everything. Now we should get some responses.

Im afraid that this idea is not correct, to say "salafi" are like this. To say this can be a sin.

If you have seen before who the Salaf were, anyone who says things against the "salafis" are saying things which are really going against the Salaf. There can not be "New Salafi", there is just One way, because Islam is one way. The understanding taken from the Salaf can not be modernised or changed! Their words and actions are written and are derived purely from the Quran and the Sunnah. They were the most amazing of Muslims, it is important for Muslims to read about the lives of the Salaf, especially those of the early generations to get a real appreciation of what is Islamic knowledge.

Imaam adh-Dhahabee (d.748H rahimahullaah) - said: "It is authentically related from ad-Daaraqutnee that he said: There is nothing more despised by me than 'irnul-kalaam (innovated speech and rhetorics). I say: No person should ever enter into 'ilmul-kalaam, nor argumentation. Rather, he should be a follower of the Salaf." [Siyar 16/457]

Abu Haneefah (d. 150H rahimahullaah) said: "Adhere to the athar (narration) and the tareeqah (way/following) of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) and beware of newly invented matters for all of it is innovation" [Reported by As-Suyootee in Sawn al Mantaq wal-Kalaam p.32]

Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728H rahimahullaah) says: "There is no blame on the one who manifests/proclaims the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf, who attaches himself to it and refers to it. Rather, it is obligatory to accept that from him by unanimous agreement (Ittifaaq), because the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf is nothing but the Truth (Haqq)." [From Majmoo al-Fataawaa, 4:149.]

Those who go against the Quran and Sunnah, then their actions are distant to that of the Prophet :saw: and his Companions, and therefore the Salaf.

Infact sister Mirajmom, your post on this thread:

Reviving the Ummah and regaining it's Lost Honour and Glory

I beseech Allah to grant us the pristine understanding of Islam according to the Qur'an and authentic Sunnah of the Messenger as understood by our pious predecessors and that He guides us to practice it in deeds, He is the One Who Responds.

What you wrote was an affirmation of Salafi Da'wah, whether you know it or not, this is exactly what is meant by Da'wah Salafia. It is as simple as that! a methodology of the saved sect. Those who understand Islam "according to the Qur'an and authentic Sunnah of the Messenger as understood by our pious predecessors " are inshaAllah going to be in the Firaqatul Najiyyah (Victorious group).

The Salaf had the best of manners, they were kind, patient and very wise people. They spent their time dedicating their lives to Islam and helping other people! They would never turn down anyone who needed help. They were courageous and had big hearts. They contributed to helping Muslims much. - Afterall, obviously all the righteous Muslims were our "Salaf"! -

So, knowing this, we can not say that Salafi have bad manners or are judgemental. Just because they call themselves Salafi, does not mean that their actions are anywhere near to what the Salaf implemented! - They, are free from what these people do.

We should judge the people according to their actions, rather than whatever they decide to call themselves. If they are acting like a clique or sect, then this is wrong. They should be involved in the community, helping ALL Muslims and giving Da'wah in a nice, sincere way.

Guidance is from Allah, the Most High, alone. We should, therefore reflect on this and improve our relations with families, friends and complete strangers. Whether they are Muslim or non-Muslim. Having good manners is very very important in Islam. Nobody should be thinking they are better than other people and thus treating them in a bad way.

Shaykh Ibn Uthaimeen (rahimahullah) said:

From his [the Prophet]:)saw:) statement,

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah",

It can be learnt that if parties (ahzaab) within the ummah emerge in increasing numbers then one should not affiliate himself to a party (hizb). In the past, many groups have appeared; Khawaarij, Mu'tazilah, Jahmiyyah, Shee'ah, even Raafidah. Then there appeared, later on Ikhwanis, Salafis, Tablighis, and all those like them. Put all of them to one side and take [the path] ahead. Which is what the Prophet SAW guided to. "Adhere to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided caliphs." No doubt, it is obligatory for all Muslims to adopt the way of the salaf as their madhhab, not affiliation to a specific party (hizb) named, "The Salafis". It is obligatory for the Islamic Ummah to adopt the way of the salaf as-salih as their madhhab, not bigotry to those called "the salafis". Pay attention to the difference: There is the way of the salaf, and there is a party (hizb) called "the salafis".

What is the objective? Following the Salaf. Why? The salafi brothers are the closest sect to that which is right, no doubt, but their problem is the same as others, that some of these sects declare others as being misguided, they declare them to be innovators and as being sinners. We don't censure this, if they deserve it, but we censure handling this bid'ah in this way. It is obligatory for the leaders of these sects to get together and say, “Between us is the book of Allah, and the Sunnah of His messenger, so lets us judge by them and not according to desires, opinions and not according to personalities. Everyone makes mistakes and achieves correctness no matter what he has reached with regards to knowledge and worship. Infallibility is [only] in the religion of Islam."
In this hadeeth the Prophet SAW guided to the way in which a person secures himself. He doesn't affiliate him to any sect, only the way of the salaf as-salih, to the Sunnah of our Prophet SAW and the rightly guided caliphs."
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen (Rahimahullah) explains Da'wah Salafia

We should sincerely want to follow wherever the Islamic evidence lies and form our opinions based on that.

There is already much on this subject in the website, so please do read it.... and the evidences contained therein:

Introduction to the Salafi Da'wah
This is a good article which helps to explain much about Salafiyyah.

Why Manhaj? (methodology) By Shaykh Saalih bin Fawzaan al-Fawzaan
This is also a very important Article, it explains how we must have EVERY belief in line with the Salaf Salih. It is very simple and beautiful article, it is by Shaykh Salih al Fawzaan al Fawzaan (hafizahullah).

What is Salafiyyah ?

Reviving the Ummah and regaining it's Lost Honour and Glory
This is a beautiful article by Shaykh Albani (rahimahullah), he was a great Hadith Scholar, one of the most learned men to have been alive in recent times. Allah give him Jannatul Firdaus.

Whats the difference in the four schools?

The Sayings of the Four Imams on blind-following (Taqlid)

Guidelines for Following Madhhabs

The Four Imams

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen (Rahimahullah) warns the Muslims from forming a Salafi "Group"

In conclusion Da'wah Salafia is the true way for us to be following Islam, due to it being simply from the Quran and Sunnah with understanding of the Salaf.

Allah Guide us and make us amongst those whom are accepted to paradise, Amin.

Status
Not open for further replies.