what do we have to cover when we pray?

al-muslimah

Salam'alaycoum, im so confused about this so hope you answer this question..:shymuslima1:
what do we woman have to cover when we pray i mean is is like covering our self infront of men? like do we have to cover our feet?

:salah:

Ali(Whalan)

:salam2:
The female should pray with an open face & it is disliked(makruh) for her to pray while her face is covered..However if it happens that she is in the company of men then she should draw a veil over her face..
ramadhan mubaarak..to you all
:)

Julie1134

I cover everything but my face and hands. I have heard we can't pray with our nails painted. Is this true sisters?

Aliyah206

sallam sistah..
yes it's true.. but it depends on what kind of nail paints we talkin abt..beacuse anything thats not too hard enough to keep water from getting it to ur skin when making your abolution is permitted..unlike nail polishes..i think hinna is fine..allahu allam.

Julie1134

Thanks that was helpful. I was wondering because I have regular polish on my toes. I am learning something new everyday.

samiha

---------
Staff member

Thanks that was helpful. I was wondering because I have regular polish on my toes. I am learning something new everyday.

I think that type of polish even is what does not allow water to pass through, and therefore wudu is not valid over it. What is meant by "other" type of dye is what will allow water to pass through, most times only natural dye such as henna fulfills this category/condition.

Fatwa below:

Some powders and cosmetics that are used as makeup form a insulating layer over the skin and prevent water from reaching it, while others do not prevent water from reaching the skin.

If a cosmetic item insulates the skin then it is not permissible to perform wudoo' or ghusl over it, for any act of worship that requires wudoo or ghusl (such as prayer, etc.). Allaah the most glorified and Almighty says (interpretation of the meaning):

"O you who believe! When you prepare for prayer, wash your faces and hands …." Al-Maa'idah (5:6)

Washing implies that water must actually reach the part of the body being washed. Based on this observation, anything that prevents water from reaching the skin must be removed, otherwise purification will not be achieved, resulting in the prayer being void.

If the cosmetic item your asking about does not insulate the skin and does not prevent water from reaching it then wudoo' or ghusl may be performed with it.

Hence, dyes are of two type: the first is that which is waterproof, such as nailpolish, which must be removed before performing wudoo' or ghusl. The second is that which does not form an impermeable barrier to water, such as henna dye, and hence does not hurt the wudoo or ghusl.

And Allah the most glorified and Almighty knows what is most correct and best.

References:

Al-Mufassal fi Ahkaam Al-Mar’ah, Abdul Karim Zaidan, 1/84-85.

Fataawi Al-Mar’ah Al-Muslimah, Shaykh Muhammad bin Salih Al-Uthaymeen, 1/220.

Ahkaam Tajmeel Al-Nisaa’ fi Al-Shari‘ah Al-Islamiyyah, Izdihar Al-Madani.

Zeenat Al-Mar’ah bayn Al-Tibb wa Al-Shar‘

I find it safest and best to cover the feet. There is a hadith attributing towards it, and at least it's one less thing to worry about.

wasalam

al-muslimah

sallam sistah..
yes it's true.. but it depends on what kind of nail paints we talkin abt..beacuse anything thats not too hard enough to keep water from getting it to ur skin when making your abolution is permitted..unlike nail polishes..i think hinna is fine..allahu allam.

but you can do your wuduo then put on nail polish and even pray with it,because your wuduo is done and what ever you put on your nail does'nt bother,am i right?

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
but you can do your wuduo then put on nail polish and even pray with it,because your wuduo is done and what ever you put on your nail does'nt bother,am i right?

Do you really want to go with the hassle of taking off your nail polish every time you need to to wudoo? Just paint your toes when you you cannot pray for a week :p

:wasalam: