What do you think?

Asha88

Ghurabaa
Salaam everyone,

Lately, a discussion had been going on between my sisters and I regarding certain jobs that are haraam. I was quite surprised to hear that jobs like banking, accounting/auditing etc are not advisable as they deal with usury,which is haraam in Islam. Chances are, I might work in one of these fields and I want to be sure that, it is acceptable in Islam.

Would you also consider jobs such as cashier as not advisable as it involves selling certain haraam food like Pork and alcohol?

An imam (if I remember correctly he is an imam) said that when you work as cashiers selling haraam products, you are considered to have syubaha. But he said that what we can do is that each time someone purchases those products, we take note and at the end of the day, we minus off that time from our pay as that is the time of syubaha.

I find this view a better one than regarding it is as totally unacceptable. However, I am not sure if this works for jobs like I mentioned above.

What are your opinions about this?

Wasalaam,

Sis Asha

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Even if you were to minus off the value of the haraam items from your pay cheque, the items (such as alcohol) have already been sold, hence the evil has been spread. Also, it's not entirely easy to keep track of these things, and chances are something will go by unnoticed. And depending on the season/time of year, you may be selling so many haraam items that using this methodology would give you a negative figure in a given month.

From what I understand, it's better you avoid it all together, inshaa' Allaah, keep trying and Allaah may facilitate a job that is halaal for you. It's hard, but perhaps if we leave off something for Allaah's sake instead of taking the easier but dangerous option, Allaah will grant us with that which is better.

Also, remember the hadeeth of the Prophet, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam,

"Truly, what is lawful is evident, and what is unlawful is evident, and in between the two are matters which are doubtful which many people do not know. He who guards against doubtful things keeps his religion and honour blameless, and he who indulges in doubtful things indulges in fact in unlawful things, just as a shepherd who pastures his flock round a preserve will soon pasture them in it. Beware, every king has a preserve, and the things Allah has declared unlawful are His preserves. Beware, in the body there is a flesh; if it is sound, the whole body is sound, and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt, and behold, it is the heart."
[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

hana*

Allah curses several types of people: the one who makes alcohol, the one who serves alcohol, the one who consumes alcohol, the one who SELLS alcohol, the one who sits in a place where alcohol is consumed...

the above speaks for itself in terms of selling alcohol. even if one did deduct that from his wage slip, he/she was still involved in the process of selling alcohol.