What does the Crescent stand for ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem9022

The Crescent may not be a part of Islam as a religion, But it is a part of Islam as a Culture, From it we know when Ramadan starts, and when Eid Al-Fiter comes, We also have the 4 fobidden month in Islam...etc.

And as i said before, The Crescent indicates the beggining and the ending of the month.
Its is of importance in Islam, Or why else would it be mentioned in quran?
--HUH?? Akhi Islam is not a culture, there is Muslim cultures yes, but there is no Such thing called Islamic Culture and I already gave you a responce from Shiekh Al-Munajid regarding the cresent moon symbol, and the answer is there is no Evidence in Shariah for this symbol in Islam. So why did you bring this Ramadan thing from? what does cresent moon symbol have to do with Ramadan when the shiekh already said there is no evidence in Sharia for this Symbol? Please speak from Evidences and Proofs not from whims and desires, Since you talked about Ramadan now please provide me an evidence that the Prophet and the Sahabah used the Cresent and Star symbol as their Flag? or that they used this symbol to represent Ramadan. I want Evidence meaning the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

MTYKK

Banned
Salem9022, :salam2:

Calm down brother, we're not claiming to be ulama or shuyook, nor claiming to be correct %100 percent, as that's kufr.

We're not even claiming knowledge as that's disrespect to the great ulama who spent their lives for Islaam.

Those are some of the beliefs presented by a simple Muslim, in Islam there is Ikhtilaf and it doesn't mean, prove them wrong, argue with them, call them names. It is to be handled with adab, the higher the state of ikhlas and knowledge, the higher the adab.

I also didn't see anyone say, "Crescent is the official righteous symbol of Islam" neither, what are we trying to prove?

Amongst the few reasons listed concerning the fact that Hilaal has been used by Muslims, RamaDaan seems to be a point of contention, alHamdulillah, I think the thought process may have been something like this...

Months of Lunar calender are determined by the new moon, RamaDaan is the best of the months, more Muslims actually watch for the new moon in RamaDaan, we also argue about the moon every RamaDaan :)

I guess we could change some 20+ flags and knock down mosques because we decided in this forum that Hilaal is soo bad after 1300 some years. Hmm, pretty logical way of thinking. (But the sarcasm is not too far from home as we know of certain people who killed many Muslims including people of Ikhlas and Knowledge using this kind of twisted logic)

What's important is symbols are symbols, people may have felt certain ways about those symbols, and you may not. Good thing is, Tawheed is still Tawheed, and we still understand Allah ta'ala and don't ascribe partners to Allah jalla jalaluhu. It's perspective, which is the beauty of Islaam, is that it's a realistic religion, it allows for "people" or "humans" it's not "DOGMA" like other religions became serving certain people and their agendas or solely their opinions they form. It's a religion of Divinely set limits, and human beauty emerges within those limits like when the saHaba disagreed amongst themselves as they were using their heads and knowledge to use Islaam in the best way to think and decide as to what their responsibility towards Allah ta'ala is.

We should read posts written by our Muslim brothers and sisters to try learn something, share the experience, and not only to try to find mistakes in them. That's the way of the ahla al-Sunna wa al-Jammat. Isn't it?

ps. Just another suggestion, instead of posting long fatwas given by certain Sheiks about related, semi-related, far-related various subjects, isn't it more beneficial to this form style to summarize the answer given and provide source in a link form, so it can continue as a concise conversation, not a copy/paste haven?

Salem9022

Calm down brother, we're not claiming to be ulama or shuyook, nor claiming to be correct %100 percent, as that's kufr.

We're not even claiming knowledge as that's disrespect to the great ulama who spent their lives for Islaam.

Those are some of the beliefs presented by a simple Muslim, in Islam there is Ikhtilaf and it doesn't mean, prove them wrong, argue with them, call them names. It is to be handled with adab, the higher the state of ikhlas and knowledge, the higher the adab.

I also didn't see anyone say, "Crescent is the official righteous symbol of Islam" neither, what are we trying to prove?

Amongst the few reasons listed concerning the fact that Hilaal has been used by Muslims, RamaDaan seems to be a point of contention, alHamdulillah, I think the thought process may have been something like this...

Months of Lunar calender are determined by the new moon, RamaDaan is the best of the months, more Muslims actually watch for the new moon in RamaDaan, we also argue about the moon every RamaDaan :)

I guess we could change some 20+ flags and knock down mosques because we decided in this forum that Hilaal is soo bad after 1300 some years. Hmm, pretty logical way of thinking. (But the sarcasm is not too far from home as we know of certain people who killed many Muslims including people of Ikhlas and Knowledge using this kind of twisted logic)

What's important is symbols are symbols, people may have felt certain ways about those symbols, and you may not. Good thing is, Tawheed is still Tawheed, and we still understand Allah ta'ala and don't ascribe partners to Allah jalla jalaluhu. It's perspective, which is the beauty of Islaam, is that it's a realistic religion, it allows for "people" or "humans" it's not "DOGMA" like other religions became serving certain people and their agendas or solely their opinions they form. It's a religion of Divinely set limits, and human beauty emerges within those limits like when the saHaba disagreed amongst themselves as they were using their heads and knowledge to use Islaam in the best way to think and decide as to what their responsibility towards Allah ta'ala is.

We should read posts written by our Muslim brothers and sisters to try learn something, share the experience, and not only to try to find mistakes in them. That's the way of the ahla al-Sunna wa al-Jammat. Isn't it?

ps. Just another suggestion, instead of posting long fatwas given by certain Sheiks about related, semi-related, far-related various subjects, isn't it more beneficial to this form style to summarize the answer given and provide source in a link form, so it can continue as a concise conversation, not a copy/paste haven?

--That is the problem akhi, this belief is held by "simple muslims" meaning muslims who aren't scholars, who haven't studied hadiths or the sunnah or anything, and you and I know we as Muslims don't learn our religion from every person down the street especially ignorant of the deen.

--A Brother did say that Cresent Moon Symbol is an Islamic cultural symbol which is Incorrect because first Islam is not a culture it's a Deen.

--As for changing flags of 20??? countries?? there are no 20 countries which has the cresent flag, I don't see Saudi Arabia with a cresent moon symbol. nor any country around Saudi Arabia.

--You also talked about Ramadan again, why you are speaking about Ramadan as if its represented by the cresent moon?? please why you are bringing up Ramadan in this? because when you bring Ramadan in this, I am thinking you are saying cresent moon symbol represents Ramadan, this is what I am getting from you.

--I didn't understand this statement "What's important is symbols are symbols, people may have felt certain ways about those symbols, and you may not" are you saying we muslims should have different opinions regarding things which are not related to Islam? we can't do that, because anything not related to the sunnah or not known by Prophet and his companions are Not part of Islam, so when you keep talking about Ramadan and the New Moon and telling me that cresent moon symbol represents Ramadan is a complete lie, we speak from proofs and evidences not from our emotions barak Alllah feek, maybe you think I am being harsh but believe me this is the way I talk :hearts:

MTYKK

Banned

I appreciate you kind reply and I actually agree to most of what you have to say. Let's discuss some fine points.

1 - I see this forum as serving simple Muslims who try to communicate with other Muslims around the world and the opinions expressed aren't my personal opinions, those are the general understanding of the ummah based on centuries of scholarship and voiced by little o' me, the simple Muslim, and I don't have the education nor claim to present proofs for every single breath I take.

2 - Islam doesn't reject culture that doesn't reject Islaam. (SubHaan Allaah, this phrase is fresh, as far as I know, please comment)

To elaborate, Islaam is consonant with fiTra, Islaam is compatible with al-Insaan, that's why it's perfect, that's why it's best for us. Islaam is a complete set of required limits, rules, tools for al-Insaan to live and prosper, meaning, it doesn't necessarily talk about the today's cars, television, clothing, all types of foods, drink and other things that didn't exist at the time of Rasul Allah sallalaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, but it is enough for us find the right path as it teaches us how to follow both sound intellect and listen to our hearts if followed in sincerity.

In other words, there may not be a culture associated in Islaam, but you better believe Muslims have cultures, which are not allowed in Islaam but encouraged as Islaam encourages from al-Insaan to learn from one another.

3 - Crescent in flags of significant (if not majority) Muslim countries...

Algeria, Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918-1920), Azerbaijan SSR (1920-1921), Bahawalpur, Bosnia (1878), The Bosnian Revolt (1831), Bukharan People's Soviet Republic (1921-1923), Calcutta, Dir, East Turkestan independence movement, Egypt (Ottoman), Egypt (1914-1922), Federation of South Arabia (1962-1967), Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Herzegovina (Bosniak areas, ca. 1760), Hunza, Hyderabad (princely state) (1724-1948), Turkish Republic of Western Thrace (August 1913 - October 1913), All India Home Rule League, Iraqi Turkmen, Islamabad Capital Territory, Johor, Kalat, Kelantan, Kharan, Khorezm People's Soviet Republic, Las Bela, Libya (1951-1969), Makran, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Malaysia, Mauritania, Nakhchivan, North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan, Republic of the Rif, Selangor, United Suvadive Republic, Terengganu, Tunisia, Turkey (since 1844), Presidential Standard of Turkey, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Western Sahara, Arab Maghreb Union, Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia), Comoros, Egypt (1922-1952), Grande Comore, Comoros, Singapore, Presidential Standard of Singapore, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Calcutta, Mongolia, Nepal, Mughal Empire, Amman, Jordan, Bosniak flag, Brunei, Chimbote, Darfur, Sudan, Fort Moultrie flag, Iraq (2004 proposal), Kingdom of Kurdistan, (1922 - 1924), League of Arab States, Maldives, Red Crescent flag, Organisation of the Islamic Conference, Ottoman Sultanate of Rûm (1453-1854)

4 - RamaDaan, the reason you may be confused is because, I didn't say "Hilal is a definite symbol of RamaDaan" I only articulated how it could be seen as one.

5 - There are people nowadays who say, "Prophet didn't do it so it's rejected" I proudly DO NOT subscribe to this thought, neither do I have the arrogance to falsify it. The way I see it is this.

MuHammad sallalaahu 'alayhi wa sallam never touched a MuSHaf, isn't that an innovation?
If all innovation is bad, aren't we supposed to throw away are muSHaf?

There was no internet, no Islam on the internet, no TurnToIslam.com forum, no cars, no forks, no modern medicine, no Fiqh books, no a million stuff both beloved and cherished within our Deen today and outside of Deen (if there can be such a concept)

Can we show the same attitude towards all of these since this would apply to all innovation and not a select that certain people choose to have a problem with?

waAllaahu 'Aalim,

inna Allaha kulli shay'in Qadeer.

:wasalam:

Salem9022

I appreciate you kind reply and I actually agree to most of what you have to say. Let's discuss some fine points.

1 - I see this forum as serving simple Muslims who try to communicate with other Muslims around the world and the opinions expressed aren't my personal opinions, those are the general understanding of the ummah based on centuries of scholarship and voiced by little o' me, the simple Muslim, and I don't have the education nor claim to present proofs for every single breath I take.

2 - Islam doesn't reject culture that doesn't reject Islaam. (SubHaan Allaah, this phrase is fresh, as far as I know, please comment)

To elaborate, Islaam is consonant with fiTra, Islaam is compatible with al-Insaan, that's why it's perfect, that's why it's best for us. Islaam is a complete set of required limits, rules, tools for al-Insaan to live and prosper, meaning, it doesn't necessarily talk about the today's cars, television, clothing, all types of foods, drink and other things that didn't exist at the time of Rasul Allah sallalaahu 'alayhi wa sallam, but it is enough for us find the right path as it teaches us how to follow both sound intellect and listen to our hearts if followed in sincerity.

In other words, there may not be a culture associated in Islaam, but you better believe Muslims have cultures, which are not allowed in Islaam but encouraged as Islaam encourages from al-Insaan to learn from one another.

3 - Crescent in flags of significant (if not majority) Muslim countries...

Algeria, Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (1918-1920), Azerbaijan SSR (1920-1921), Bahawalpur, Bosnia (1878), The Bosnian Revolt (1831), Bukharan People's Soviet Republic (1921-1923), Calcutta, Dir, East Turkestan independence movement, Egypt (Ottoman), Egypt (1914-1922), Federation of South Arabia (1962-1967), Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, Herzegovina (Bosniak areas, ca. 1760), Hunza, Hyderabad (princely state) (1724-1948), Turkish Republic of Western Thrace (August 1913 - October 1913), All India Home Rule League, Iraqi Turkmen, Islamabad Capital Territory, Johor, Kalat, Kelantan, Kharan, Khorezm People's Soviet Republic, Las Bela, Libya (1951-1969), Makran, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Malaysia, Mauritania, Nakhchivan, North-West Frontier Province, Pakistan, Republic of the Rif, Selangor, United Suvadive Republic, Terengganu, Tunisia, Turkey (since 1844), Presidential Standard of Turkey, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Western Sahara, Arab Maghreb Union, Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia), Comoros, Egypt (1922-1952), Grande Comore, Comoros, Singapore, Presidential Standard of Singapore, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Calcutta, Mongolia, Nepal, Mughal Empire, Amman, Jordan, Bosniak flag, Brunei, Chimbote, Darfur, Sudan, Fort Moultrie flag, Iraq (2004 proposal), Kingdom of Kurdistan, (1922 - 1924), League of Arab States, Maldives, Red Crescent flag, Organisation of the Islamic Conference, Ottoman Sultanate of Rûm (1453-1854)

4 - RamaDaan, the reason you may be confused is because, I didn't say "Hilal is a definite symbol of RamaDaan" I only articulated how it could be seen as one.

5 - There are people nowadays who say, "Prophet didn't do it so it's rejected" I proudly DO NOT subscribe to this thought, neither do I have the arrogance to falsify it. The way I see it is this.

MuHammad sallalaahu 'alayhi wa sallam never touched a MuSHaf, isn't that an innovation?
If all innovation is bad, aren't we supposed to throw away are muSHaf?

There was no internet, no Islam on the internet, no TurnToIslam.com forum, no cars, no forks, no modern medicine, no Fiqh books, no a million stuff both beloved and cherished within our Deen today and outside of Deen (if there can be such a concept)

Can we show the same attitude towards all of these since this would apply to all innovation and not a select that certain people choose to have a problem with?

waAllaahu 'Aalim,

inna Allaha kulli shay'in Qadeer.

--what you mean Prophet never touched the Mushaf????? If you read the hadith, he was the walking Mushaf(Qur'an), why would you use this example to indicate allowing this symbol? it doesn't make sence, and like I said already I already gave you a fatawa from islam-qa which says there is no evidence in sharia'ah allowing the cresent moon symbol so khalas.

-- You also said if all Innovation is Bad, then arn't we suppose to throw away the mushaf. << All Innovation is a Misguidance and all Misguidance is in the Hellfire, there is no such thing called "Good" Bidah. and when we say Bidah we mean Bidah in the religion in the aqeedah(belief) in Islam and in practise. a Mushaf is not a Bidah because it is just the written form of the Qur'an which people read and study from and the sahabah did have a mushaf for themselves a complete one ofcourse after the Prophet Passed away.

--Also you came up with some countries which "used" the cresent moon symbol. most of these countries you mentioned were part of the Ottoman empire so ofcourse they are going to use the same symbol as the Ottoman turks. but it doesn't mean they are still using it, please list for me the countries which use this symbol as theirs in the present time. not during Ottoman time.

MTYKK

Banned
Salem9022

:salam2:

I guess I can not communicate myself efficiently. Let me try again, and try to be more clear.

I have MuSHafs, and I think it has been extremely beneficial to this ummah.

Point is MuHammad sallalaahu 'alayhi wa sallam recited the Qur'an (The Recital, The Recitation, (collected)),
he recited it perfectly and with incredible beauty.
He had the SaHaba write it on leather and leaves (not paper, paper Bid'a?)
And it wasn't collected or bound at this time, yet he communicated it's order via Wahiy he received just like the ayat he received and communicated.

They wrote it by hand, not paper press (also remember the Ottoman didn't accept the paper press because "Allama bil Qalam" They didn't only respect the Qur'aan and didn't want it "smushed" via paper press machines and considered it disrespectful, they considered the letters, the alifs, lams, mims, and the pen as a blessing from Allah ta'ala and saw it as a duty to get 'ilm by Qalam. Paper press, mass copying, bid'ah?

They also never translated it to other languages (as much as I know) Translation, bid'ah?

They didn't have (or need) the beautiful colored Tajweed rules Qur'aan I proudly have in my house. Bid'ah?

Did they have a rihla (wooden Qur'an holder) ? (I don't know, if not bid'ah?)

We know sunna wasn't collected in Sahih Bukhari, Muslim, Trimidhi into books, bid'ah?

Did they have minarets on mosques? What about speaker systems? (I actually don't like the speaker systems btw)

Did they have www.quranexplorer.com , http://www.quranflash.com (Huge Bid'ah?)

Qur'an java apps on my cellphone, is this a one way ticket to jahannam? 'Aoodhubillah.

With this type of logic, may Allah ta'ala be your helper insha'Allah.

Countries, I'm not here to argue with you, I gave examples of 75 flags that used it, I'm sure I could extract 20 current ones but that would neither change the facts, nor prove anything, nor change your mind, so we'd better read a couple of ayat of the Qur'an instead of upset each other.

waAllaahu 'Aalim.

May Allah ta'ala guide us all.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
I think this thread is going off topic and turning into argument for no reason .
Enough been discussed and you can also use the search engine ,as I remember this topic been discussed on TTI before

Thread is Closed

waaleikum salam

Status
Not open for further replies.