what does this sign mean?

Believer1985

salaam dear bros/sisters,

for years now i have been confused about this sign. can someone please tell me what it means?

images

Thank you

Salaam

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
salaam dear bros/sisters,

for years now i have been confused about this sign. can someone please tell me what it means?

images

Thank you

Salaam

:salam2:
Is this some type of 'protection amulet?'? As far as I know these things are haram, but sadly many Muslims believe some amulet can protect them.

Perhaps some one can shed a little more light?

A friend of mine said that the hand is supposed to represent Fatima RA's hand? Silly if you ask me.

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

This emblem is called the Hand of Fatima, or Hamsa. It is believed to be a an amulet against evil but as we know, this is bidah and also minor shirk. :astag: I am not sure why it is so popular in the Middle East but I see it everywhere in pictures, especially around festive times.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

justoneofmillion

:salam2:This is a KHAMSA and it represents nothing but superstition and shirk to the might of Allah swt in protecting his servants.

wassalaam
jameel

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

Yet another form of shirk is

believing that certain things can bring benefit when the Creator has not made them so.

For example. some people believe in amulets and spells, or wearing certain types of pearls or seashells or metal earrings and so on, on the advice of fortune-tellers or magicians or in accordance with inherited customs. So they hang them around their own or their children’s necks to ward off the evil eye - or so they claim; or they tie them onto their bodies or hang them in their cars and homes, or wear rings with special stones, thinking that these things can relieve or ward off distress.

This without a doubt is contrary to the idea of relying on Allaah, and will only result in making a person even more weak, like seeking medicine in a haraam way. These amulets obviously contain much shirk, such as seeking the help of some jinns and devils, or vague drawings and illegible writing. Some of these liars even write aayaat from the Qur’aan, or mix them with words of shirk, or write them with impure substances such as menstrual blood. Hanging up these amulets or tying them to one’s body is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever hangs up an amulet is guilty of shirk.” (Reported by Ahmad, 4/156; see also Silsilat al-Saheehah, no. 492).

If the one who does this believes that these things can cause benefit or harm instead of Allaah, he is a mushrik who is guilty of al-shirk al-akbar. If he believes that they are a means of causing benefit or harm, then he is a mushrik who is guilty of al-shirk al-asghar, which includes shirk that consists of attributing causes to things other than Allaah.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38796&highlight=amulets

hannabanu

This symbol is also found in Jewish customs. This little explanation from wikipedia gives you a good idea of what it is :)

"Hamsas are popular as charms and decorations in Israel and are not considered to have any Islamic connection other than the shared Arabic name (same as the Hebrew). Among Jews, fish are considered to be a symbol of good luck, so many hamsas are also decorated with fish images. Hamsas are incorporated in wall plaques, mobiles, keychains and necklaces. Sometimes they are inscribed with Hebrew prayers, such as the Sh'ma, the Birkat HaBayit (Blessing for the Home), or the Tefilat HaDerech (Traveler's Prayer). Hamsas may be displayed in either directon, up or down according to the taste or decoration associated with the Hamsa."