What is a Muslimah, and a Muslim

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

I was going to post a thread on what it means to be a Muslim man. And, I was going to post a thread on what it means to be a Mulim Woman. However, then I remembered the Words Of Al Qur'aan:

Al-Ahzab
Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward. (35)

An-Nahl
Whosoever doeth right, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily we shall quicken with good life, and We shall pay them a recompense in proportion to the best of what they used to do. (97)

The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Alayhu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) came to call the believers back to the true Path and to once again Perfect our Deen. I can't find the original source, I am guessing Our Brothers and Sisters here can, that it is recorded The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Alayhu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) said: "Woman are twin halves of men. The rights of women are sacred. See that women maintain rights granted to them."

Al-Room
And of His signs is this: He created for you helpmeets from yourselves that ye might find rest in them, and He ordained between you love and mercy. Lo! herein indeed are portents for folk who reflect. (21)

So, I decided to research both. First, I thought I would go to a sight called Islamic Women: regrettably, this was anti-Islamic Propaganda. Some naive individual saw the horrific images that are constantly propagated by the oppressors of Islam and failed to consider the source. I was very saddened that The Most Perfect Deen was portrayed in such a matter. Since whenever you go to a site, as some of the Brothers here at Turn To Islam explained to me it helps to move up the site in the search engines, I posted how I felt about the propaganda machine of the oppressors of Islam and Muslims and asked the question "After seeing the horrid photos of Gizmo, did you reach the conclusion that all Americans are sadistic, violent, heartless, torturers?
So, please don't visit that site because non-Muslims are searching for what Islam has to offer and the enemies of Allah are trying to bury it under their propaganda; sorry, I digressed.

The Muslim is one who flees to Allah for shelter and refuge from Shaytan. The Reciter recites:
"A'udhu bi'llahi min ash-shaytani'r-rajim ('I seek refuge with Allah from the Accursed Shaytan')."

Significance and Importance of BismillahProphet Muhammad (S.A.W.) has said that on the day of judgement there will be some people who will have to go to Jahannam (Hell) because of their bad deeds.

However, from these people, there will be some who had the habit of saying Bismillahirrahmanirrahim (In the name of Allah, the beneficent the merciful) before they did anything or entered anywhere.

Thus, when they will be taken to Jahannam (Hell) by the angels, they will be very sad but they will say Bismillahirrahmanirrahim (In the name of Allah, the beneficent the merciful) Allah will tell the angels - "STOP"

Allah will tell them that He cannot let someone who says Bismillahirrahmanirrahim (In the name of Allah, the beneficent the merciful) calling Him Rahman and Rahim enter Jahannam (Hell).

A Muslim is straightforward in word and action:

AL Fussilat 41:30
Those who declare: "Our Lord is God," and afterwards are candid, the angels descent upon them (Saying) "Fear not nor grieve, and good tidings to you of Paradise which you were promised" (41:30)

سُوۡرَةُ حٰمٓ السجدة / فُصّلَت
إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ قَالُواْ رَبُّنَا ٱللَّهُ ثُمَّ ٱسۡتَقَـٰمُواْ تَتَنَزَّلُ عَلَيۡهِمُ ٱلۡمَلَـٰٓٮِٕڪَةُ أَلَّا تَخَافُواْ وَلَا تَحۡزَنُواْ وَأَبۡشِرُواْ بِٱلۡجَنَّةِ ٱلَّتِى كُنتُمۡ تُوعَدُونَ (?٣٠?)

The Prophet (Salla Alayhu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) the most straight forward of all people is reported to have said because of the difficulty of Sura Hud: " Sura Hud and others similar to it have made me old":

Al Hud
Be staightworward as you are commanded, (11:112)

The Muslim is Self-Supervisory in that he is always striving to eliminate anything that comes between the Heart and Allah.

Yunus
And thou (Muhammad) art not occupied with any business and thou recitest not a Lecture from this (Scripture), and ye (mankind) perform no act, but We are Witness of you when ye are engaged therein. And not an atom's weight in the earth or in the sky escapeth your Lord, nor what is less than that or greater than that, but it is (written) in a clear Book. (61)

The Muslim is Pietous:

Al-Hujraat
O mankind! Lo! We have created you from male and female, and have made you nations and tribes that ye may know one another. Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of Allah, is the best in conduct. Lo! Allah is Knower, Aware. (13)

The Muslim have hope:

Al-Araf
And ordain for us in this world that which is good, and in the Hereafter (that which is good), Lo! We have turned unto Thee. He said: I smite with My punishment whom I will, and My mercy embraceth all things, therefore I shall ordain it for those who ward off (evil) and pay the poor-due, and those who believe Our revelations; (156)

The Muslim is steadfast in Heart:

(7) Our Lord! Cause not our hearts to stray after Thou hast guided us, and bestow upon us mercy from Thy Presence. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Bestower.

The Muslim is reflective:

Al-E-Imran
Such as remember Allah, standing, sitting, and reclining, and consider the creation of the heavens and the earth, (and say): Our Lord! Thou createdst not this in vain. Glory be to Thee! Preserve us from the doom of Fire.(191)

The Muslim is self examining:

Al-Hashr
O ye who believe! Observe your duty to Allah. And let every soul look to that which it sendeth on before for the morrow. And observe your duty to Allah. Lo! Allah is Aware of what ye do. (18)

And, because Muslims are self examing, a Muslim is repentent:

At-Tahrim
O ye who believe! Turn unto Allah in sincere repentance! It may be that your Lord will remit from you your evil deeds and bring you into Gardens underneath which rivers flow, on the day when Allah will not abase the Prophet and those who believe with him. Their light will run before them and on their right hands; they will say: Our Lord! Perfect our light for us, and forgive us! Lo! Thou art Able to do all things. (8)

And this is what you have taught me in you threads here at Turn To Islam.com and I am trying to weave those threads into the fabric of my life.

And, another thing that I have learned from each of you who post here is that knowledge without wisdom is folly:
Al-Furqan
Al-Furqan
We verily gave Moses the Scripture and placed with him his brother Aaron as minister. (35) Then We said: Go together unto the folk who have denied Our revelations. Then We destroyed them, a complete destruction. (36) And Noah's folk, when they denied the messengers, We drowned them and made of them a portent for mankind. We have prepared a painful doom for evil-doers. (37) And (the tribes of) A'ad and Thamud, and the dwellers in Ar-Rass, and many generations in between. (38) Each (of them) We warned by examples, and each (of them) We brought to utter ruin. (39)

And,

Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light. Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah setteth forth for mankind similitudes, for Allah is Knower of all things. (35) (This lamp is found) in houses which Allah hath allowed to be exalted and that His name shall be remembered therein. Therein do offer praise to Him at morn and evening. (36) Men whom neither merchandise nor sale beguileth from remembrance of Allah and constancy in prayer and paying to the poor their due; who fear a day when hearts and eyeballs will be overturned; (37) That Allah may reward them with the best of what they did, and increase reward for them of His bounty. Allah giveth blessings without stint to whom He will. (38)

Was Sallem

weakslave

:wasalam:

The hadith you might be referring to about the women being half:
When a person gets married he has completed half of his religion, so let him fear Allaah with regard to the other half. (info here)

I am in doubt, however, over that saying Bismillaahi Arrahmaani Arraheem will save one from the Hellfire. Saying it is obviously a very good thing, but this hadith (if it is being treated as such) has signs of oddities like for example Allaah telling the angels to stop. Angels do not disobey Allaah nor will they do things He never wanted them to do. Yes we have narrations of the Prophet :saw: interceding on people's behalf, but the prophet :saw: requests from Allaah directly to save some of those being thrown into the fire.

Another is how saying it will somehow protect you from the Hellfire. As if one can sin all day and then simply get away with it. Allaah promised never to throw a true believer in the Hellfire eternally, but that individual would pay for all of their unaccounted for sins by spending time in the Hellfire. It might be months, it might be years but they would eventually be rescued by Allaah's mercy.

As for the rest, I always love reading the meanings of verses. The first verse you selected from Surat-ul Noor is still one of the least understood. There is no other verse like it in the Quran, in the way it is laid out and in the words used. Unfortunately the english interpretation does not convey the whole picture.

:jazaak: