What is the God particle?

Ron-Kid

HasbunAllahu wa ni`mal Wakil '
god_particle2.jpg

Scientists at the CERN research centre near Geneva, Switzerland, will on Wednesday unveil the latest results in their search for the Higgs boson, a subatomic particle believed to be key to the formation of stars, planets and eventually life after the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago.

What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs is the last missing piece of the Standard Model, the theory that describes the basic building blocks of the universe. The other 11 particles predicted by the model have been found and finding the Higgs would validate the model. Ruling it out or finding something more exotic would force a rethink on how the universe is put together.

The Higgs is the last missing piece of the Standard Model, the theory that describes the basic building blocks of the universe.

Scientists believe that in the first billionth of a second after the Big Bang, the universe was a gigantic soup of particles racing around at the speed of light without any mass to speak of. It was through their interaction with the Higgs field that they gained mass and eventually formed the universe.

The Higgs field is a theoretical and invisible energy field that pervades the whole cosmos. Some particles, like the photons that make up light, are not affected by it and therefore have no mass. Others are not so lucky and find it drags on them as porridge drags on a spoon.
Picture George Clooney (the particle) walking down a street with a gaggle of photographers (the Higgs field) clustered around him. An average guy on the same street (a photon) gets no attention from the paparazzi and gets on with his day. The Higgs particle is the signature of the field - an eyelash of one of the photographers.

The particle is theoretical, first posited in 1964 by six physicists, including Briton Peter Higgs.

The search for it only began in earnest in the 1980s, first in Fermilab's now mothballed Tevatron particle collider near Chicago and later in a similar machine at CERN, but most intensively since 2010 with the start-up of the European centre's Large Hadron Collider.

What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is to physics what the theory of evolution is to biology. It is the best explanation physicists have of how the building blocks of the universe are put together. It describes 12 fundamental particles, governed by four basic forces.

But the universe is a big place and the Standard Model only explains a small part of it. Scientists have spotted a gap between what we can see and what must be out there. That gap must be filled by something we don't fully understand, which they have dubbed 'dark matter'. Galaxies are also hurtling away from each other faster than the forces we know about suggest they should. This gap is filled by 'dark energy'. This poorly understood pair are believed to make up a whopping 96 percent of the mass and energy of the cosmos.

Confirming the Standard Model, or perhaps modifying it, would be a step towards the holy grail of physics - a 'theory of everything' that encompasses dark matter, dark energy and the force of gravity, which the Standard Model also does not explain. It could also shed light on even more esoteric ideas, such as the possibility of parallel universes.

CERN spokesman James Gillies has said that just as Albert Einstein's theories enveloped and built on the work of Isaac Newton, the work being done by the thousands of physicists at CERN has the potential to do the same to Einstein's work.

What is the Large Hadron Collider?

The Large Hadron Collider is the world's biggest and most powerful particle accelerator, a 27-km (17-mile) looped pipe that sits in a tunnel 100 metres underground on the Swiss/French border. It cost 3 billion euros to build.

Two beams of protons are fired in opposite directions around it before smashing into each other to create many millions of particle collisions every second in a recreation of the conditions a fraction of a second after the Big Bang, when the Higgs field is believed to have 'switched on'.

The vast amount of data produced is examined by banks of computers. Of all the trillions of collisions, very few are just right for revealing the Higgs particle. That makes the hunt for the Higgs slow, and progress incremental.

What is the Threshold for Proof?

To claim a discovery, scientists have set themselves a target for certainty that they call "5 sigma". This means that there is a probability of less than one in a million that their conclusions from the data harvested from the particle accelerator are the result of a statistical fluke.
The two teams hunting for the Higgs at CERN, called Atlas and CMS, now have twice the amount of data that allowed them to claim 'tantalising glimpses' of the Higgs at the end of last year and this could push their results beyond that threshold.

They planned - and Allah also planned - Allah is the best planner of all. [Al-Anfal 30]

AND NOW LADIES AND GENTLEMAN LET US ALL KNOW THAT THIS GOD PARTICLE THING IS NOT BUT FAKE FAKE FAKE ! ! !
THEY HAVE SPENT SO MUCH TO INDOCTRINATE THIS LIES, MAY ALLAH PROTECT ALL

Islam!!yay

Brother Whats wrong ? Why is it fake ? They just call it the God Particle is because they think its a particle thats so profound that it can help solve the deep secrets of the universe, its just a name.Orginally its called the Higgs Particle!

For me as a person that loves science , Insha'Allah I hope they find this Higgs Particle

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
The name is really misleading. One of the physicists that was originally doing research on the Higgs boson was so frustrated about being unable to find it, he coined it the "God damn particle." It was eventually shortened to the "God Particle," so the name isn't what most people think. There is no clandestine anti-religion agenda; it was just a name that changed with time and whose meaning was warped by the small-minded.

MeGladder

From Wikipedia:

"God particle"

The Higgs boson is often referred to as the "God particle" by the media,[69] after the title of Leon Lederman's popular science book on particle physics, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?[70][71] While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest,[71] many scientists dislike it, since it overstates the particle's importance, not least since its discovery would still leave unanswered questions about the unification of quantum chromodynamics, the electroweak interaction, and gravity, as well as the ultimate origin of the universe.[69][72] Higgs is an atheist, and is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle",[73] because the term "might offend people who are religious".[74]

Lederman said he gave it the nickname "The God Particle" because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive,"[69][70][75] but jokingly added that a second reason was because "the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing."[70]

A renaming competition conducted by the science correspondent for the British Guardian newspaper chose the name "the champagne bottle boson" as the best from among their submissions: "The bottom of a champagne bottle is in the shape of the Higgs potential and is often used as an illustration in physics lectures. So it's not an embarrassingly grandiose name, it is memorable, and [it] has some physics connection too."[76]

Shak78

As an astronomy junkie I am loving this. I enjoy seeing discoveries like this. Like a couple others have said the God Particle isn't what it was called at the start lol I have no issue with balancing Science and my faith.

Ron-Kid

HasbunAllahu wa ni`mal Wakil '
Brother Islam YaY,

How do you know that they found it and the same as out brother said is indeed a Misleading one. You know what, they are simply fullfilling the prophecies of our beloved Prophet [saw] who said: in the end times, people will LIE LIE LIE , it will be wide and on a massive scale, I personally felt to make my brothers and sisters aware of being a victim

Islam!!yay

Brother What "lie" are you talking about ? what is it that "they" are saying is considered a lie ? Everytime we make discoveries , the more it seems that this universe was CREATED with ORDER and not randomly came about with no order. Insha'Allah If scientists do find this elusive particle, the concept or idea that this universe came about randomly just fades away.

I ask Allah SWT for Forgiveness If I had said something misleading!

Islam!!yay

Brother What "lie" are you talking about ? what is it that "they" are saying is considered a lie ? Everytime we make discoveries , the more it seems that this universe was CREATED with ORDER and not randomly came about with no order. Insha'Allah If scientists do find this elusive particle, the concept or idea that this universe came about randomly just fades away.

I ask Allah SWT for Forgiveness If I had said somethint misleading!

azmathmoosa

Salam Brother, It is an islamic discipline to NOT Speak that of which we have no knowledge. We know nothing about the subject for which they spent millions and millions of dollars. Please take this as an opportunity to understand what they are referring to as God particle and increase your knowledge instead of, unintentionally, spreading "bigoted rumors". And yes, brother, as Muslims we must realize that in the hadeeth that you mentioned, the word 'people' is used which ALSO includes Muslims.

May Allah guide us (Ameen).

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Lol - this isn't fake, what a pathetic/silly claim to make. You're just paranoid, better to just keep quiet instead of embarrassing yourself.

This was a landmark moment.

Yes, the name 'God Particle' clearly isn't the one of choice for the Muslims, but Muslims didn't choose it - just get over that and call it the Higgs Boson and you can learn about some amazing science in all of this.

I say this hands down, particle physics is definitely the most mysterious and fascinating fields in the whole of science, Biology pales into insiginificance whilst Chemistry is in the slow lane!

:)

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Assalamu 'alaikum
I find this concept fascinating,as to how we humans cannot understand fully the concept of a particle.That should make us humble and how wonderful is the creation of Allah,that even a small particle can be such a fascinating thing,with so many beautiful properties and aspects to it.The more human intellect comes in acquaintance of these,the more it should humble them and more make them in awe of the creator of heavens and the Earth!Hal tara min futuur?
A
muslim should have done this but Allah's qadar.A muslim knows by revelation,the truth,while some people do need aayat.
Allahu Akbar!