What is the ruling on Islamic nasheeds that are free of music?

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Question:
What is the ruling on Islamic nasheeds that are free of music?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The clear saheeh texts indicate in a number of ways that it is permissible to recite poetry and listen to it. It was narrated in saheeh reports that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his noble Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them) listened to verse, recited it (as nasheed) and asked others to recite it, both when they were travelling and when they stayed at home, in their gatherings and whilst they were working, individually, as in the case of Hassaan ibn Thaabit, ‘Aamir ibn al-Akwa’ and Anjashah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and in unison, as in the hadeeth of Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) which describes the digging of the ditch (al-khandaq). Anas said:

When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw how exhausted and hungry we were, he said (in verse):

“O Allaah, there is no life except the life of the Hereafter, so forgive the Ansaar and the Muhaajireen.”

And they said in response:

“We are the ones who have pledged allegiance to Muhammad, to make jihaad for as long as we live.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/1043)

And in gatherings too: Ibn Abi Shaybah narrated with a hasan isnaad that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not speak in devious tones or in a soft manner. They used to recite verses in their gatherings, denouncing the affairs of their jaahiliyyah, but if it was the matter of their religion, they would become very serious and cautious (8/711).

This evidence indicates that nasheeds are permissible, whether recited individually or in unison. The word nasheed in Arabic means raising the voice when reciting verse and making the voice sound beautiful and gentle.

There are conditions to which attention must be paid with regard to this matter:

Not using forbidden musical instruments in nasheed.

Not doing it too much or making it the focus of the Muslim’s mind, occupying all his time, or neglecting obligatory duties because of it.

Nasheed should not be recited by women, or include haraam or obscene speech.

They should not resemble the tunes of the people of immorality and promiscuity.

They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

They should not have moving tunes which make the listener feel “high” as happens to those who listen to songs. This is the case with many of the nasheeds which appear nowadays, so that the listeners no longer pay any attention to the good meaning of the words, because they are so entranced by the tunes. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

References:

Fath al-Baari, 10/553-554-562-563
Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, 8/711
Al-Qaamoos al-Muheet, 411

wasalaam

Naasih

Islamic Nasheeds???

:salam2:

Wallaahi it is very strange to hear this 'Islamic nasheeds' which have no basis AT ALL with Islaam! They now have a huge following and the singers have a huge number of fans who treat them like pop stars which is very very sickening indeed. What are the purpose of them? Are they to try and draw one closer to Allaah? if so then it is worship and any newly invented affair in worship is Bid'ah and every bid'ah is misguidence.

What I think is worse is when it is justified saying it is reaching out the the people and they will say we take our legal rulings from scholars etc.
Subhaanallaah even after the prophet said there will come a people who will make what is haram halal and he mentioned the making of musical instruments halal. Its is such a shame the muslims are going in this direction and as a result of this the Qur'aan is left out. Left out in its recital, pondering over its meaning and taking guidence from it.

O muslims PLEASE wake up to this and those who make these music nasheeds in the name of Islaam really need to fear Allaah and know Allaah is going to question them about what they do. It really pains me to see the muslims going in these directions. May Allaah guide us all!!

Submitter

They should be free of vocal effects that produce sounds like those of musical instruments.

Does this include using your voice as chords? Like, humming in the background? Or is this referring to percussion instruments?

Please find attached an mp3 file. Personally I find this beautiful and quite soothing. You hear the humming used as chords? Is this allowed?

:wasalam:

Attachments

• Ahmed Bhukatir - Allah hu.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 74

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Wa alaykum salaam

Brother this is vey nice, you are right it is soothing.

Does this include using your voice as chords? Like, humming in the background? Or is this referring to percussion instruments?

But im not too sure using your voice as chords is permissable. I will find out for you and get back to you, if someone doesnt get there before me....:SMILY149:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Please find attached an mp3 file. Personally I find this beautiful and quite soothing. You hear the humming used as chords? Is this allowed?

Wa alaykum Salam

Allah knows best, but what they do is record the voice, and put it into a computer.... The voice is then mapped onto a keyboard and also various other equipment. This is how the various effects are made.

Its best people stick to listening to Quran! As that is the best heart softener and it is what Allah will reward you for! There is nothing better than the Quran, and the great merit of listening, reciting and memorising it is unimaginable.

Wasalam.

Submitter

Wa alaykum Salam

Allah knows best, but what they do is record the voice, and put it into a computer.... The voice is then mapped onto a keyboard and also various other equipment. This is how the various effects are made.

Its best people stick to listening to Quran! As that is the best heart softener and it is what Allah will reward you for! There is nothing better than the Quran, and the great merit of listening, reciting and memorising it is unimaginable.

Wasalam.

I agree with you brother Mabsoot. There is nothing that compares to the Qur'an to give you some peace, comfort, inspiration. Indeed, it is the only book I have ever read and listened to that has made me teary :redface: I spend a lot of time driving and I like to get a bit of variety with Qur'an and nasheeds. I will try to find some more info. May Allah guide us and help us to do that which is right.

And Allah knows best.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

I know what you mean bro. Mabsoot. Some people get so into nasheeds that they feel frustrated and angry when hearing the Quran! Quran is more important of the two yet many times is neglected because people feel that since they don't understand it then the other is better.

Anyway,
Jazakallah Khair for this post.

Wassalam.

Naasih

Nasheeds

From what I know is the singing and using the duff was for the women in the time of the prophet peace be upon him and they would look at the men who indulged in it as behaving like the women which is very disliked in Islaam. Our deen is based upon knowledge and not the opinions of men. Something so big and serious like nasheeds which many people listen to must require proofs from the Qur'aan and sunnah as we do know the oppisite! Wallaahu A'lam

abusalek

nasheeds/poetry

salam alikum warahmantuallahi wabarakatuhu
My name is abu salek I use to be a famous rap artist in a group called the outlawz that was put together by the late rapper 2pac shakur many know me as napoleon. I writing because a newly invented matter is spreading amongst the muslim youth like never before and that is music and nasheeds. The salaf (early muslims) did poetry once in a while but didnt do it as a hobby or a way of life like the way they use it nowadays. Its also a difference between poetry and nasheeds. poetry was what the sahabs did and nasheeds was introduced later in life by the sufis and turned it to almost singing with out musical instruments which is a bidah. Many of the youth is claiming that nasheeds help them get closer to allah so much that now they dont even read quran or hadiths to learn they deen instead they go and listen to music or nasheeds. The salaf said that music puts hipocrsy in the heart and it also leads to fornication and homosexuality (authu billah). all four of the imams was against muisic. The prohet and his companions was also against music and also its verses in the quran that forbids music. So we have to be careful because the shaitan is very slick and know how to fool us in to thinking we doing something thats good while in fact its an evil innovation that will lead us to the fire and allahs aid is sought from this. sufyan athawre said that innovation is dearer to iblees than sin is because when a person sin he repents to allah but when a person do innovation he do it thinking hes getting closer to allah therefore he never repents. I leave with what the prohet left us with in his farewell speech when he said Im leaving two things if a person holds on to them he will not go astray which is the quran and my sunnah. May allah make us amongst those who truely onderstand the quran and the sunnah the way the salaf did.

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Some people gather with the purpose to sing anasheed like what many sufis do and they call them "islamic Anasheed",this is an innovation. Many scholars have talked about this. I want also to share with you the following link. Insha Allah you will benefit from it and get also the answer you want about anasheed. Aand Allah knows best.

http://www.understand-islam.net/Articles/ALookatNasheed.pdf

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabaraktuh