What language will be used during judgement day

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohhockleng

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters,

As I was having a discussion with my friend, I show him some few threads here regarding no need to change name to arab names but just to have good names, he told me that we as a muslim must change our name cos during judgement day arabic language will be used instead because the quran is recited in arabic, Please discuss.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

It is incumbent upon your friend to prove his stance via hadith or quran. Otherwise he is issueing a fatwa and using his own fallible reasoning to back it, and this is dangerous. In the meantime, inform your friend that the scholars disagree with him and there is nothing about the language spoken on judgement day being Arabic.

Dear scholars, my question relates to changing name, I mean, is it necessary for newly converts to Islam to change their names or they can keep their Christian or any previous names?

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Muslims should have good names and give good names to their children. Islam does not require all converts to change their names. New Muslims should only change their first names, if they contain wrong or bad meanings. As far as their last names are concerned they should not be changed unless their parents are alive and accept the change.

In this regard, we’d like to furnish for you the following fatwa issued by Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, President of the Fiqh Council ofNorth America, who states:

Islam emphasizes that Muslims should have good names and give good names to their children. It is reported in a hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "You will be called on the Day of Resurrection by your names and the names of your fathers, so have good names." (Reported by Abu Dawud)

During the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) when people used to accept Islam, he would not require all people to change their names. He used to change only those names that carried wrong meanings or un-Islamic ideas and concepts. The Prophet's wife `A'ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said about the Prophet, "He used to change bad names." (Reported by at-Tirmidhi)

For instance, `Umar had a daughter whose name was "`Asiyah" (meaning disobedient or rude). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed her name to "Jamilah" (the Beautiful- see Sunan Abu Dawud, Hadith no. 4301) Abu Dawud has mentioned many names of people and places that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) changed because they had bad meanings. (see Hadith no. 4305) Imam al-Bukhari mentioned that Sa`id ibn al-Musayyib said that when his grandfather came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), the Prophet asked him about his name. He said, "Hazn" (meaning Hard). The Prophet said, "You are Sahl. (meaning soft, easy)." The man said, "I do not want to change the name that my father gave me." His grandson Sa`id used to regret and say afterwards that they kept on experiencing the hardness in their family. (Reported by al-Bukhari)

One can only change one's own name, but one cannot change the family name or name of one's parents, unless they are alive and accept the change. So the new Muslims should change their first names, if they contain wrong or bad meanings. As far as their last names are concerned they should not be changed, because it is also forbidden in Islam to take the name of someone other than one's own biological father. Allah says in the Qur'an, [Proclaim their real parentage. That will be more equitable in the sight of Allah. And if you do not know their fathers, then they are your brothers in the faith…] (Al-Ahzab 33: 5)

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544938

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Ashkaw

Did your friend give you evidence?

Yes, Quran is everything. The messenger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) had said: Recite the Quran because it will come as an intercessor for its recites on the Resurrection Day. - Muslim

I think it was not said; Arabic, or english or whatever language will be an intercessor for its speaks (for those who speak). Yes, to learn different language is good. If you are in Western countries is good to learn english inorder to send this beautiful message from The messanger of Allah (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). He had said: 'CONVEY FROM ME EVEN ONE VERSE'

If you are in Arabic Countries, you also need to learn arabic language inorder to send the same message to the people. Some people are confused, they think all people who speak arabic they can recite Quran. No, you can not be good reciter if you did not learn and read Quran even if you were born speaking arabic. And some people think muslims who speak arabic, also understand their Islam properly. No, have you not found muslims who do not speak arabic but they memorise all Quran? And not only that, but they teach Islam to those who speak arabic. ISLAM ISLAM ISLAM and not arab

Allah will not ask you what language you spoke but how much Quran you memorised? How much Quran you recited.

I have not idea about the languages people will speak in the day of Judgement, I also used to hear people say, it is arabic. If anybody can drop evidence with Aya and sahih hadith please. We appreciate

Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is!

ARAB OR MUSLIM NAMES: please click the link

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196366#post196366

*pink niqaabi*

Salam aleikum i have a book called "The End, Great Trials and Tribulations" and it says we speak arabic in paradise (inshallah!!!), but a different language on qiyamma (judgement day) it begins with an a and i've never heard of it before. But its def not arabic, people just assume this.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa Alykum Assalam..Dear All..

about

change name to arab names

Names have meanings, as the saying goes, and every person is influenced by the meaning of his name. So a person should be given a suitable name that has a good meaning, so that he will be influenced by his name.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Because names have meanings, it is wise that there should be a proper connection between the meaning of the names and the object that is carrying the name. It should not be the case that the meaning is not suited to the object and there is no connection between the meaning and the object, because this is what is decreed by the Most Wise, and reality testifies to that. Indeed names have a great impact on the objects to which they are applied, and the objects that carry these names will definitely be influenced by these names, whether these names are good or ugly, whether they refer to meanings of lightness or heaviness, kindness or cruelty.”

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 2/336

Hence the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to change bad names to good ones.

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar that a daughter of ‘Umar was called ‘Aasiyah (disobedient), but the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) renamed her Jameelah (beautiful). Narrated by Muslim, 2139.

The ruling – changing names to good names – has to do with what is mustahabb and preferable; it is not obligatory or binding.

The evidence for that is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (6190) from Ibn al-Musayyab that his father came to the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said, “What is your name?” He said, “Hazn (meaning rough).” He said, “You are Sahl (meaning easy).” He said, “I will not change the name that my father gave to me.” Ibn al-Musayyab said, “And we have had roughness (in character) ever since.”

Roughness means being harsh and difficult to deal with.

Ibn Battaal said:

This shows that improving names and changing names to something better is not something that is obligatory.

Fath al-Baari.

And if it had been obligatory, the Sahaabi would not have refused to change his name, and the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have compelled him to change his name.

And Allaah knows best.

But if the name carries a meaning implying servitude to someone other than Allaah, such as ‘Abd al-Nabi (slave of the Prophet) and ‘Abd al-Maseeh (slave of the Messiah), and the like, then these names must be changed, because it is not permissible to be a slave of someone other than Allaah, and because all of creation belongs to Allaah and is subjugated to Him.

Ibn Hazm (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are agreed that every name which implies servitude to someone other than Allaah – such as ‘Abd ‘Amr or ‘Abd al-Ka’bah and so on, is haraam.

Fath al-Majeed, p. 531

And Allaah knows best.

========================================

during judgement day arabic language will be used instead because the quran is recited in arabic

The point is that there is no saheeh evidence to show which language is spoken during judgement . Hence we should refrain from speaking about this issue and not indulge in it, and we should refer knowledge of the matter to Allaah (may He be exalted), and focus instead on issues that will lead to good deeds in this world.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: in what (language) will Allaah address the people on the Day of Resurrection? Will Allaah address them in the tongue of the Arabs? Is it true that the language of the people of Hell will be Farsi and that the language of the people of Paradise will be Arabic? He replied: Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds. It is not known what language the people will speak on that Day, or in what language they will hear the words of the Lord, may He be exalted, because Allaah has not told us anything about that, nor has His Messenger :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It is not true that Farsi will be the language of the people of Hell, or that Arabic will be the language of the people of Paradise. We do not know of any discussion of that among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), rather all of them refrained from speaking of that because speaking about such a thing is discussion of something unnecessary… but there was a dispute concerning that among later scholars. Some people said that they will be addressed in Arabic and others said that the people of Hell will respond in Farsi, which will be their language in Hell. Others said that they will be addressed in Syriac because that was the language of Adam and from it stemmed all other languages. Others said that the people of Paradise will speak Arabic. There is no basis for any of these ideas, whether on the grounds of common sense or in any report or text, rather they are mere claims that are devoid of any evidence. And Allaah knows best and is most Wise. End quote.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (4/299)

And Allaah knows best.

<wasalam>

ohhockleng

Mualaikumsalam everyone, thank you very much for the replies, I've already told my friend and he knows he's in wrong. He apologies to everyone although he's not a forum member here.

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
I would have thought the language on the Judgement would be universal, i.e something is said and everyone from all over understands it's meaning.. Kinda makes sense..
But we can't back up any of this so we will just have to wait and see! :D

Peace

Musa abu A'isha

Aussie Muslim
The Hadeeth which says that the language of Jannah will be Arabic is DA'EEF, it is not authentic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is Arabic the language of the people of Paradise?

Question:
I would like to know what the language of the people of Paradise is. Is it Arabic?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is no mention in the Qur’aan or in the saheeh Sunnah – as far as we know – of which language is spoken by the people of Paradise. What is narrated concerning that is a hadeeth which is not soundly narrated from our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and some other reports (athaar).

It was narrated by al-Tabaraani in al-Awsat, al-Haakim, al-Bayhaqi in Shu’ab al-Eemaan and others that Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Love the Arabs for three reasons, because I am an Arab, the Qur’aan is Arabic and the speech of the people of Paradise is Arabic.”

Ibn al-Jawzi ruled that this hadeeth is fabricated. Al-Dhahabi said: I think that the hadeeth is fabricated (mawdoo’). Al-Albaani said in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah (no. 160): (it is) fabricated.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Similarly, Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn ‘Abd-Allaah al-Haafiz al-Koofi, who is known as Mateen, told us: al-‘Ala’ ibn ‘Amr al-Hanafi told us: Yahya ibn Zayd al-Ash’ari told us: Ibn Jurayj told us, from Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Love the Arabs for three reasons: because I am an Arab, the Qur’aan is Arabic, and the language of the people of Paradise is Arabic.”

Al-Haafiz al-Salafi said: this is a hasan hadeeth. I do not know whether he meant that its isnaad is hasan according to the way of the scholars of hadeeth, or that its text is hasan in general terms. Abu’l-Faraj ibn al-Jawzi mentioned this hadeeth among the mawdoo’ (fabricated) texts and said: al-Tha’labi said: it has no basis. Ibn Hibbaan said: Yahya ibn Zayd narrated unsound ahaadeeth from sound narrators, so it is invalid to quote his reports as evidence. And Allaah knows best.

End quote from Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem (1/158).

Al-Tabaraani narrated in al-Awsat that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am an Arab, and the Qur’aan is Arabic, and the language of the people of Paradise is Arabic.”

Al-Albaani said in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah (no. 161): it is fabricated.

The point is that there is no saheeh evidence to show which language is spoken by the people of Paradise. Hence we should refrain from speaking about this issue and not indulge in it, and we should refer knowledge of the matter to Allaah (may He be exalted), and focus instead on issues that will lead to good deeds in this world.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: in what (language) will Allaah address the people on the Day of Resurrection? Will Allaah address them in the tongue of the Arabs? Is it true that the language of the people of Hell will be Farsi and that the language of the people of Paradise will be Arabic? He replied: Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds. It is not known what language the people will speak on that Day, or in what language they will hear the words of the Lord, may He be exalted, because Allaah has not told us anything about that, nor has His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It is not true that Farsi will be the language of the people of Hell, or that Arabic will be the language of the people of Paradise. We do not know of any discussion of that among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), rather all of them refrained from speaking of that because speaking about such a thing is discussion of something unnecessary… but there was a dispute concerning that among later scholars. Some people said that they will be addressed in Arabic and others said that the people of Hell will respond in Farsi, which will be their language in Hell. Others said that they will be addressed in Syriac because that was the language of Adam and from it stemmed all other languages. Others said that the people of Paradise will speak Arabic. There is no basis for any of these ideas, whether on the grounds of common sense or in any report or text, rather they are mere claims that are devoid of any evidence. And Allaah knows best and is most Wise. End quote.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (4/299)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Salem9022

"The Hadeeth which says that the language of Jannah will be Arabic is DA'EEF, it is not authentic."

Barak Allah feek ^^

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum

Allah Al Alim,Allah know everything.....,know what you are saying and what is it in your heart,know your intentions. Allah Al Latif

Status
Not open for further replies.