When I converted

q8penpals

I thought I would share this with everyone, because it was very comforting to me when I converted and started to learn.

When I first became Muslim, a very kind, smart man (he is a member of the Kuwaiti royal family) told me several things that he said I should always remember as a Muslim (I don't know if these are hadiths or from the Qu'ran, I just know he told me).

1. The best of the Muslims are those that hurt no one with their hands and they hurt no one with their words. All other parts of being a Muslim are between you and God - but you cannot be close to God, even if you pray day and night, if between prayers you abuse people with your words or actions."
2. Kaffir" is an idea - one should NEVER label a person, because only God knows what is in people's hearts - no human does
3. Jesus was correct - "Judge not, lest ye be judged" - no human can judge any person on earth as to how good of a Muslim they are - that is God's role alone.
and 4. Start with the teachings of the Qu'ran - you are like a baby, do not expect to learn everything quickly - people who are born into Muslim families have up to 18 years to learn before they are fully responsible for themselves - do not over burden yourself so that you get frustrated and give up.

I asked him about the headscarf and he told me that the Qu'ran first dictates modesty and covering the body loosely - he said that girls born into Muslim families have about 12 years to learn about and be comfortable with wearing headscarf, so do not worry if I am not ready yet - GOd knows what I am feeling. He also told me that many new Muslims who try to follow everything right away tend to fall away because it can be overwhelming - take your time and everything will fall in place for me, Insha'Allah.

I think he had a lot of good to tell me, and he made a lot of sense. I know 2 ladies that converted (one in the US and one American here in Kuwait) that both jumped in with both feet, so to speak, and tried to do everything single thing perfectly right away, and they both got immensely frustrated (especially the one in the US with the inaccessibility of mosques to women in some areas of the US - of course, in Kuwait most mosques do not allow women either). One of the women gave up on Islam, the other still says she is a Muslim, but she returned to drinking alcohol, wears tight clothes, flirts with men, etc.:girl3:

I think the most important thing to remember is that we must assume the best in others, be supportive and not domineering, and understand that everyone makes mistakes, and GOd can forgive anything He chooses to!

Lana

aicha-moslima

Salaam alaykoum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhoe

Dear Lana,

Djazak Allahoe Ghairan for sharing.
It reminds us that only Allah (Subhana wa ta'alla) is the only One who can judge us and the only One who can forgive us if He pleases.
May Allah (Subhana wa ta'alla) guide us all to do good and open the hearts of every human on this earth so we can all live in peace till the Day of Judgement insha'Allah...ameen.
Djazak Allahoe Ghairan.

Wa salaamoe alaykoum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuhoe
Your sister in Islam, Aicha

follower

as u said sis we r not perfect but seeking perfection is what the prophet's companions tried to achieve though they cried long nights for thier misdeeds , it was said that if someone told them that the judgement day is tomorrow he couldn't do more , subhan allah .

so its a rule allah never gives up on those who obey him , like omar ibn abdel aziz he was dying and they told him that you are leaving your family poor (he was the khalifa!!! ) he said if they are "saleheen" allah wont give up on them and if they aren't so i dont care in which valley they die , so i ask allah for those two sisters to guide them to what is best in this life and the after .

i know some who gave up but the question is , do we have another way even if we got tired or bored or lost the closest ones in this life ? is being a muslim and obey allah is an option ? i know faith has ups and downs that what "ahl assunah" believe in but there must be limits coz those who totaly gave up there must fatal errors in the very first place and why they converted . no one can be perfect and we will find how weak we are and u'll feel that without gods mercy we r nothing thats the point but when u get tired u give up thats absolutely the opposite of what u should feel and do .

another thing about labeling or saying about someone that he is kaffir , u r right this is a very dangerous area we must be very careful as the prophet said if someone said to his brother " ya kaffir " if he is not as he said (his brother) then the word kaffir returns on him ( the one who said it ) . so as i said muslims should be very careful coz u can lose your religion with only one word as false accusing someone as a kaffir , but as it is a very important and very dangerous to call a muslim 'kafir ' its also very important to call kufar "unbelievers" as kafir coz thats what god named them in the qur'an and his prophet in the sunnah , if u saw someone coming out of the church telling u that he read the qur'an and heard about your prophet and then insulted him peace and blessings upon him , what do u want me to call him a mo'men or a believer if your answer is yes so u beter go ask someone who has knowledge and can be trusted and do that as fast as u can , if your answer is ofcourse he is not a believer then he is a kaffir .

to me i prefer calling kuffar 'non muslims' i feel its better in da3wa .

Mahmoud1

Dear Sister Lana
Most of what this old man told you is correct and is in Muslim Shariah or code of teachings, but the only subject which he did not stress upon is the Hijab or wearing loose clothes and covering the head, as this becomes mandatory for a new Muslim Lady Revertee. It is a sign of proud to being a Muslim, not to mention that it is also an adherence to ALLAH's ( SWT ) teachings to Muslim Women to cover their bodies, so as not to get harrassed or harmed.
It is a shame about the 2 sisters who fell back, maybe you can still help them and tell them that ALLAH (SWT) loves everyone and they should learn to steadily but slowly learn things and implement as they learn. See the belief has to be sound and based on real understanding and real conviction.
All the best Sister..