When people take advantage of your righteousness..

ProudToBeaMuslim

I am in India right now for my vacation ^^
Today, a poor Muslim lady knocked at our door and she approached my father for financial aid. It is usual for needy people to approach the apparently rich guy coming from the "gulf" (thats how Non Resident Indians living in GCC are recognized) She started recounting many sad stories. One would obviously feel sympathy for them.

But the astonishing part is, these people have made a business out of it. After my father gave her something
, she kept on persisting for more. Okei here ends the personal situation. Now, onto your perspective.

My question is, if a righteous person, who is eager to spend his/her wealth in Allah's way, was begged for money, what should he/she do? I mean...It's confusing, on one hand, the person who is asking may not deserve it, on the other, you feel that urge of self-sacrifice.
I'm sure many of you would've faced such a situation, not only in matters of wealth. For example, a person takes advantage of your willingness to help. They make you do this, that. Some others annoy you for personal satisfaction.
Even if you have the utmost patience, do these people deserve it? I know we are being patient for Allah's sake, but When should self dignity kick in?

Just summing it all up, What is the limit of righteousness? (I think that's summing it up, right? -_-")
I hope I made the question clear. Please do post any reliable fatwas/lectures/videos which you think are relevant to the topic.