Why are women not allowed to drive cars in Saudi Arabia?

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

I was really curious about this. I guess the equivalent to a car in the times of the Prophet (PBUH) would have been a camel or some other riding animal. Were women not allowed ride camels in those times? I would imagine his wife Kadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) rode a camel places as she was an important and busy business woman in Mecca. So what is the reasoning behind women not being allowed to drive cars in SA?

MeGladder

So what is the reasoning behind women not being allowed to drive cars in SA?

Ans: In short, ignorance + exaggeration

Amir_of_spain

Asalam wailkium..

If that right is given to the people, then the rulers would be worried that the other rights that are missing will also be demanded and this is not liked by the ruling government.

Shak78

Asalam walaikum,

So I take it from your answers, that there is no religious reasoning behind it?

There is none at all. Its part of the cultural beliefs that they have tried to shroud in Islam but there is no reason for it. Just like they can not vote in Saudi Arabia despite all Muslims being given the right to vote in the Qu'ran.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assaalaam alaikum,

Have you seen women in niqqab holding cell phones trying to drive SUV's? I have had to speak to many about their driving. I have stood in front of a woman and yelled at her. The posted speed limit is 5 miles an hour..she was going 25...

I am ready to write to my senator and ask him to introduce a bill to ban all women from driving and I will gladly turn in my license as a token of appreciation. Thank Allah that the Saudi's have some sense.