Why?

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum,

Thats the thing Brother. They are not true to their religion. Some might not even be aware of this since drinking is nothing new to them and it is made as if it is something to be proud of. Thats what shaytan is good at doing; making bad things look good.

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs 20 ;&version=31;

I don't know why the christians are still drinking em?

Assalamualaikum,
Well, its a very good question...I myself have asked numerous christians about this. And most of them quote the story of our beloved prophet Jesus (pbuh) turning water to wine! This shows that wine is legalised and hence wine and wine products can be used for drinking!!

Dear forum, please bear in mind...this is not my justification...this is what i heard from most of the christians...

walaikum assalam...

blackivy393

im a christian, i dont know why so many people drink. the wine of that day was very different than it is now and it was just the beverage of that day and also used in religious ceremonies. but otherwise in the bible alcohol is discouraged by many prophets and getting drunk is a sin that leads to condemnation. but either way i would tell chrisitians even though wine was allowed that doesnt mean vodka, hennesy and all of these popular brands. a lot of people dont follow the bible @ all anymore.......

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother nobbyv,

You wrote the following in post #4:

I myself have asked numerous christians about this. And most of them quote the story of our beloved prophet Jesus (pbuh) turning water to wine! This shows that wine is legalised and hence wine and wine products can be used for drinking!!

Dear forum, please bear in mind...this is not my justification...this is what i heard from most of the christians...

There's a Roman Catholic priest and Biblical scholar who said somethings that might surprise the great majority of Christians. His name is Francis J. Moloney.

He believes that the early Church invented the supposed miracle of Jesus [peace be upon him] turning water into wine and then inserted it into the Bible. In other words, he does not believe that Jesus [peace be upon him] turned water into wine.

To read more of the things Professor Francis J. Moloney had to say, please click on the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=71447&postcount=23

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
Assalamualaikum,

Another common "excuse" is the infamous advice from Paul to Timothy "Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses" 1 Timothy 5:23

Ofcourse, most of the people ignore the "little" :)

walaikum assalam

Bluegazer

Thank you for the information.

They sure did forget about the "little" part! [not that I believe the words of Paul should have any weight].

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs 20 ;&version=31;

Proverbs 20
1 Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

I don't know why the christians are still drinking em?

Salam

This is the problem with many Christians today, it is unfortunate that they have been lied to by men that chose to change and edit Gods true words.

Its true Christians are not supposed to drink alcohol as brother Bluegazer posted, this was something that was added to the Bible in the same way Jesus did not claim that he be worshiped or claimed that he was the son of God. He even forbid the eating of swine but look how many Christians eat swine today in fact many think that the rule was only put in place for the people of Jesus's time and does not apply to the people of today which is utter nonsense.

Christians need to ask themselves if they are really following the true teachings of Christ.

I apologise in advance if I have offended any Christians but my only wish is that you one day come to know the truth.

Peace2u

Sa'diyah

asaalamu alaikum

I do not know of any true christians who smoke and drink. There will always be those who claim to be christians, muslims, jews, etc and do what they should not do, correct? Therefore we should not judge ALL people for one persons actions.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister Sa'diyah,

Christians do not believe that drinking wine is prohibited. Catholics [who make up half of all Christians in the world) actually drink wine in a religious rite called the Eucharist.

The following is from the Catholic Encyclopedia. Please take special note of the parts I set in bold type, like so:

Altar Wine

Wine is one of the two elements absolutely necessary for the sacrifice of the Eucharist. For valid and licit consecration vinum de vite, i.e. the pure juice of the grape naturally and properly fermented, is to be used. Wine made out of raisins, provided that from its colour and taste it may be judged to be pure, may be used (Collect. S. C. de Prop. Fide, n. 705). It may be white or red, weak or strong, sweet or dry. Since the validity of the Holy Sacrifice, and the lawfulness of its celebration, require absolutely genuine wine, it becomes the serious obligation of the celebrant to procure only pure wines. And since wines are frequently so adulterated as to escape minute chemical analysis, it may be taken for granted that the safest way of procuring pure wine is to buy it not at second hand, but directly from a manufacturer who understands and conscientiously respects the great responsibility involved in the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice. If the wine is changed into vinegar, or is become putrid or corrupted, if it was pressed from grapes that were not fully ripe, or if it is mixed with such a quantity of water that it can hardly be called wine, its use is forbidden (Missale Rom., De Defectibus, tit. iv, 1). If the wine begins to turn into vinegar, or to become putrid, or if the unfermented juice is pressed from the grape, it would be a grievous offence to use it, but it is considered valid matter (ibid., 2). To conserve weak and feeble wines, and in order to keep them from souring or spoiling during transportation, a small quantity of spirits of wine (grape brandy or alcohol) may be added, provided the following conditions are observed (1) The added spirit (alcohol) must have been distilled from the grape (ex genimime vitis); (2) the quantity of alcohol added, together with that which the wine contained naturally after fermentation, must not exceed eighteen per cent of the whole; (3) the addition must be made during the process of fermentation (S. Romana et Univ. Inquis., 5 August, 1896).

Publication information

Written by A.J. Schulte. Transcribed by Michael C. Tinkler.
The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume I. Published 1907. New York: Robert Appleton Company. Nihil Obstat, March 1, 1907. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. Imprimatur. +John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01358a.htm

In 1920, something very strange happened in America. The Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution went into effect. The following is the text, taken from the National Archives. Please note the parts I underlined, like so:

AMENDMENT XVIII
Passed by Congress December 18, 1917. Ratified January 16, 1919. Repealed by amendment 21.

Section 1.
After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2.
The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3.
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

Source: http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html#18

It only lasted until 1933, when it was repealed by the Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution.

I believe that a big reason for the failure of the Prohibition was that the vast majority of Americans [who were also Christians] did not believe that intoxicants were prohibited in Christianity. They -and certainly not I- would say something like, "Jesus turned water into wine, so why can't we drink it?" They would refer to the following verses of the Bible:

And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

John 2:1-11 (King James Version)

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Thank you brother bluegazer for these useful information.

Subhana Allah. It shows how much evil those who fiddled with the scripture have caused. Millions on millions of Christians have fallen for alcoholism due to this. Imagine how much suffering this have caused for adding a small paragraph ... Subhana Allah.

dianek

How funny.....here in my work area, all the guys are comparing who has had the worst drinking morning after story.......like they are proud badges of honor. I mean funny to listen to them.....and gross!.......but still.....so this thread is appropriate right now!

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
asaalamu alaikum

I do not know of any true christians who smoke and drink. There will always be those who claim to be christians, muslims, jews, etc and do what they should not do, correct? Therefore we should not judge ALL people for one persons actions.

Salam

Very true however the teachings of Islam are clear, alcohol, swine, gambling etc are forbidden in Islam a true Muslim would never indulge in any of these, at the same time I didn’t mean to imply that Muslims are perfect, no way are we perfect but we try our at most best to follow Islam. I also maintain that Islam is perfect but its followers are not.

Peace2u