Why's the Qur'an in Arabic only?

xlpx

Hey everybody!!! I'm not muslim, but I have been considering conversion. And in my studies I've been wondering why the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic only?? I understand why it was revealed in Arabic, but why not multiple languages?? And why only one prophet??

If God had enlisted a legion of prophets world wide to spread his message in multiple languages then we wouldn't have this conflict of having to read translations or expositions. Now a weak argument to that would be, "If God had revealed the message in multiple languages then people would interpret it differently." But that is simply speculative and we already have the Qur'an in ONE language and look at the different interpretations there are. This is evident in the many sects of Islam.

Now i know languages and dialects die out, like Classical Arabic, but that raises another question. Knowing that languages die and change, why doesn't God reveal his message every hundred years or so, in the current languages of the world at that time, to be sure that mankind is receiving the message in a language that they can understand??

Another thing, why aren't the language issues addressed in the Qur'an?? Why doesn't God address the fact that not everybody speaks Arabic or address a right course of action for those who don't speak Arabic?? Why doesn't God say, "Learn Arabic!" or "It's ok to trust scholars and read translations of my message!"???

Oh and please if you answer my questions, don't answer with "opinions" like, "Arabic is the only language "powerful" enough to convey God's message!". That kind of response is purely based on opinion and makes God seem incompetent to convey his own message to his own creation. But to the rest, Im open ears! =)

a_stranger

You are most welcome.

I shall try to answer your questions as much as i know :

<<And in my studies I've been wondering why the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic only?? I understand why it was revealed in Arabic, but why not multiple languages?? And why only one prophet??>>

There were many prophets before Mohammad :saw2:

In Quran it is stated :

13:38 We did send apostles before thee, and appointed for them wives and children: and it was never the part of an apostle to bring a sign except as Allah permitted (or commanded). For each period is a Book (revealed).
Translation of the meanings of Quran.

14:4 We sent not an apostle except (to teach) in the language of his (own) people, in order to make (things) clear to them. Now Allah leaves straying those whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases: and He is Exalted in power, full of Wisdom.

Prophet Muhammad explained his mission in the following words from Sahih Bukhari:

"The comparison between me and the preceding prophets is similar to a group of people who took part in building a house and completed it but for an empty space for one block or brick. Onlookers admired it and said in astonishment, 'What a beautiful mansion, if it were not for the place of the missing brick.' I have been this brick and I am the last or the seal of the prophets.

Muhammad then emphasized, "I am only one brick of it."

<<Now a weak argument to that would be, "If God had revealed the message in multiple languages then people would interpret it differently." But that is simply speculative and we already have the Qur'an in ONE language and look at the different interpretations there are. This is evident in the many sects of Islam.>>

But we have the Sunna ; the way of the prophets :saw2: which explain to us the most perfect way to practise Islam. Each should try to study the Sunna and follow the high example of the prophet :saw2: .

<<Now i know languages and dialects die out, like Classical Arabic, but that raises another question. Knowing that languages die and change, why doesn't God reveal his message every hundred years or so, in the current languages of the world at that time, to be sure that mankind is receiving the message in a language that they can understand??>>

But the Classical Arabic is alive beacuse of Quran. God planned the preservation of Quran and arabic as guidance for humanity.

<<Another thing, why aren't the language issues addressed in the Qur'an?? Why doesn't God address the fact that not everybody speaks Arabic or address a right course of action for those who don't speak Arabic?? Why doesn't God say, "Learn Arabic!" or "It's ok to trust scholars and read translations of my message!"???>>

For those who can learn Arabic i believe Allah will reward them for learning InshAllah but if it is a difficult task then one can learn at least how to pray in arabic.

2:286 On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns

And why Allah (God) choosed Arabs to convey the message ?

Some scolar say that there are certain the peculiarities in Arabs at that time which made them suitable to convey the message of Islam They were simple, brave,truthfull........and Allah knows best.

with regards

yasser_cbe1986

revelation of quran in arabic

Dear Btother

assalamualaikum

it is really a great news to know that u have taken a decission to revert to islam.As regards to your question why was quran revealed in arabic and no tin other langauage

I will make the answer direcly withour much detail

First let us take the case of bible god revealed it in Hebrew language and now nobody even knows wether such a language existed or not and more ever modern christians they never learn hebrew nor do they try to understand teh message inthat

secondly as for quran in because it should be revealed in language which never dies as time goes.Because if the language were to die within certain period then once again the message of quran would vanish as did the message of bible

Quran is living miracle of Allah these arabs were so proud of their litreture and loved the once so it happened that " In a market place an arab poet recited a poem, so they fell down in prostration in respect of the poem this happened in the period of ignorance in arabia.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

May be you can check these for a clear understanding

[yt]KBj227G7MNk[/yt]

[yt]g7FcAy3KlbE[/yt]​

Men of Allah

Ya Allah,Ya Rahim.
:salam2:
greeting..

I'll tell you what I know, why Qur'an is only Down With Arabic Language And Not With The Other?

Al-Quran down with the Arabic language because of the Prophet and his companions to use the language. One more thing, the question will arise if you do not speak Arabic, why the Quran down with another language, whereas the followers of the prophet muhammad initially could only speak Arabic? Al-Quran itself also states in Paragraph Fushilat, verse 44: "And If we make it a reading Quran in a language other than Arabic, they would say:" Why did not explain the verses? "Whether (the Qur'an worth) in Foreign language is (the apostle is a person) Arab? "Therefore, under natural conditions that have demanded the Qur'an down the Arabic language.

It's just that by referring to some verses of the holy Al-Quran, we will find the other sides of the decline of this precious book in Arabic. Here are the sides of these:

1. Arabic is an important factor in order of receipt of the Quran by the Arabs at that time. He said: "And if we were sent down the Qur'an to one of the class of non-Arab, then he (Prophet) recited to them (unbelievers), they would not be faithful to him." (Syu'ara ', 198 - 199).

And if it's only natural to want to spread Islam throughout the Arab world and the people who live in areas where the prophet Muhammad was sent must accept it and this is the religion of the believers were scattered throughout the world.

2. Local language (language itself) was more influential than in other languages. He said: "We sent a prophet, but with the language of his people, so that he can give an explanation to the light to them." (Ibrahim: 4)

3. The challenge of the Qur'an addressed to the heretics claim this treatise was poured in a language that can be interpreted and understood .. Allah said: "And if you (still) in doubt about Al Quran which We revealed to Our servant (Muhammad), create one letter (only) such as Al Quran, and invite your helpers besides Allah, if you people correct. "(Al-Baqarah, 23)

Or is mentioned in Surah Yunus: "Or (Shall) they say" Muhammad made it(Quran). "Say:" (If it is true that you say it), then try to bring a letter for instance and call anybody who can you call (to your) besides God, if you people are right. "(Yunus, 38)

Safety and Peace My Friend...
Hope you take your syahadah soon...

:wasalam:

besmiralalbani

Think for yourself
salam alaykum

Praise be to Allah.

I've been wondering why the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic only?? I understand why it was revealed in Arabic, but why not multiple languages?? And why only one prophet??

“Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Quran in order that you may understand. [Yoosuf 12:2]
Ibn Katheer, rahimehullah says in his tafseer: (Verily, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an in order that you may understand.) The Arabic language is the most eloquent, plain, deep and expressive of the meanings that might arise in one's mind. Therefore, the most honorable Book, was revealed in the most honorable language, to the most honorable Prophet and Messenger , delivered by the most honorable angel, in the most honorable land on earth, and its revelation started during the most honorable month of the year, Ramadan. Therefore, the Qur'an is perfect in every respect. ”

Moreover, the Qur’aan is a miracle in its wording and its meaning; if it is changed, this is no longer the case, and it is no longer Qur’aan but an interpretation (tafseer). (al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 5: A’jami).

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
“Section: It is not right to read it in any language other than Arabic, or to substitute other words in Arabic, whether the person can read it well in Arabic or not, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…an Arabic Qur’aan …’ [Yoosuf 12:2] and ‘In the plain Arabic language’ [al-Shu’ara’ 26:195]. The Qur’aan is a miracle in both its wording and its meaning, but if it is changed this is no longer the case, it is not Qur’aan or anything like it. It is only an interpretation (tafseer), and if the interpretation were like the Qur’aan itself, they would not be unable to meet the challenge of producing a soorah like it.

You say:
Qur'an in ONE language and look at the different interpretations there are. This is evident in the many sects of Islam.

As people, that are not native arabic speaker, we must try to know the ORIGINAL MESSAGGE IN ITS ORIGINAL LANGUAGE IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM, so that we can clarify our ideas about this sects...
And there is another important thing that clarify you about sects, that is 'Aqeedah, the point of differentiation is there. Only by learning the right 'Aqeedah you can distinguish sects. That means that WE have to study Islam, always, till we die.

And if we are not able to learn, or to understand, Allah says about scholars:

And of men and AdDawab (moving living creatures, beasts, etc.), and cattle, in like manner of various colours. It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allah. Verily, Allah is AllMighty, OftForgiving. (Faatir 35: 28)

So ask those who possess knowledge if you do not know. (An-Nahl 16: 43)

Now i know languages and dialects die out, like Classical Arabic,
This, actually, is wrong. READ:
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ISLAM/ARABIYYA.HTM

Another thing, why aren't the language issues addressed in the Qur'an?? Why doesn't God address the fact that not everybody speaks Arabic or address a right course of action for those who don't speak Arabic??
Allah talks about different nations, so about different languages too:

O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqun (pious - see V. 2:2). Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware. (Al-Hujuraat 49: 13)

So Allah talks about different nations, different languages. Imagine the mess if the Qur'an would be in more than one language... Everyone would say my Qur'an is better than yours, my language is better than yours, and they would go on racing...

And;
Why doesn't God say, "Learn Arabic!"

If you read carefully, and understand the high position of this language, and the greatness of this language, how it is powerful, clear, SCIENTIFIC LANGUAGE, because learning arabic is a science than you can easily realise by yourself that learning it, helps you to understand Islam better.
You can go by youself in the origin, to study the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

Last thing:
"opinions" like, "Arabic is the only language "powerful"

It is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Wa salam alaykum - Peace be upon you

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
A. The Quran was revealed in Arabic because Muhammad (peace be upon him) spoke Arabic and it was the only language he and the Arabs around him could understand. The spread of Islam was to begin with those living in Mecca and Medina.

B. There wasn't only one prophet. If you read the Quran, Allah sent 124,000 Messengers and Prophets to convey His Message. Far cry from one, no? They each emphasized and reinforced the messages of one another. Muhammad (peace be upon him) was the "Seal" of the Prophets and brought the conveyance of Divine Revelation to a close.

C. Why doesn't God reveal his message every 100 years or so? In Islam, we believe that this life and this world are a test for the believers. Part of this test is to maintain faith in God and the Message that has already been sent to us. The Quran has been translated into several languages so that all may understand its message. Its message is clear enough that we don't need constant repetitions of it over and over. Plus, if there were constant repetitions sent every 100 years, then everyone would follow it and then what would be the point of striving hard in Allah's cause? Religion would be handed to us on a silver platter and thus there's no point in a test. It isn't God's job to "baby" everyone and make sure that each individual on this planet has a manual on Islam in their own language. He's not going to just place the Truth neatly in your laps and say there ya go, life made easy. You need to GO OUT AND FIND IT. Heaven doesn't come cheap and you're not going to enter it without fighting for it. The point IS to struggle and make decisions based on our own intellect, not just accept it as its easily being handed to us on a silver platter. It's about how much faith you have and whether or not you allow your heart to submit to God based on what He has given us and not on what He hasn't. Also, it's not that He can't give it to you but the fact that He hasn't means that there's a significant reason.

D. Allah is Absolute. All I can say is that He is Above babying us. Why didn't He address the language issue in the Quran? Sure He did. He even stated that the fact that we have various tongues and come from various tribes are nothing short of miraculous and that they help us to ponder His Magnificence and Creation even more. This is also going back to the first question about why the Quran is in Arabic. The QURAN is in Arabic because Muhammad (peace be upon him) spoke Arabic. It was his tongue. God also gave Holy Books to Moses, Jesus, and David. The Torah and the Gospels were in Hebrew. Why? Those were Moses' and Davids' tongues. The Bible was given to Jesus in Aramaic. Why? That was HIS tongue. Arabic wasn't the "chosen language". It just happened to be Muhammad's (peace be upon him) tongue AND thus, Allah made it a language powerful and beautiful enough to convey His Message to perfect justice. About Him telling you to "Learn Arabic" and "trust the scholars", well, are these really things He has to tell you? There's no point in giving us intellect if Allah was going to answer each and every single question for us. You're a complex human being with complex abilities all given to you by your Creator. He wants you to utilize them. Muslims don't learn Arabic because Allah TOLD them to; they learn it because they WANT to so that they can be closer to their Creator by being able to understand his words better. Why do Jews learn Hebrew? It's THEIR holy language. Their book was revealed in Hebrew and I'm sure they believe that learning it will help them in mastering their book and the words of God.

Basic point? You need to go out and get knowledge. It's not going to come to you and fall precisely into your lap. If it did, there would be no point to our existence and our striving so hard to please our Creator. God has so many complexities and intricacies that there is no way we can "figure Him out". The purpose of our lives isn't for us to do that; it's to place our trust and faith in Him and know that if His Message does indeed penetrate our hearts, then we need to stop trying to dot the i's and cross the t's and just SUBMIT our hearts and souls to Him.