witr is offered 1 rakaah

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
:salam2: brothers and sisters

well, i have a doubt ....
witr is offered one rakaah right?...
do you have any quranic proof that witr is offered 1 rakaah!..
i know witr is offered 1 rakaah but my brothers say it is 3 rakkah..plz give me quran proof....i wanna show my btohers

n_kasmani

I wont be able to provide Qur'anic evidence as im not taht learned. However, i know this much, depending on the school of Fiqh you follow (Shafi, Hanafi, Maliki or Hanbali) its 2+1 or 3.....but not 1 rakaah on its own (someone feel free to correct me)

I know that Shafi School of Fiqh pray 2 Rakaah's then offer salaam then pray the third with a Dua after Rukuuh (however that is definitely not considered as a rakaah on its own)

And Hanafi pray all 3 at once just like Maghrib with Dua-e-Qunoot in the third rakaah.

Hope this is helpful.

muharram23

Staff member
Witr is not mentioned in the Quran, only in the Hadeeth. At-Tirmizhi mentioned hadeeths that the prophet prayed the witr as thirteen, nine, seven, five, three and one rak'`aat. There are also hadeeths reproting that the prophet sometimes made the Salaam after each two rak`aat and before the final one rak`a and on other occasions, joined the rak`aat without the intermediate Salaam, much like in Maghrib prayer. One Hadeeth reported by Al-Bukhaari and Muslim and narrated by `Aa'isha, may God have been pleased with her, that the prophet prayed witr as thirteen rak`aat and only joined the last five rak`aat. Sa`d ibn Abi-Waqqaas, may God have been pleased with him, prayed witr as one rak`a.

So, the point is that all kinds of combinations are OK and have been practiced by the prophet, peace be upon him. The only criterion is that the total number of rak`aat is odd and that the Qunoot supplication is offered in the last rak`aa.

salamu alaykum

very good mashallah. Just to add to what you said is that if Witr is prayed 3 rekah, it should be done with one tashahud (sitting) and Salam. Because the voluntary prayers should not resemble obligatory once. As in maghrib , there is two tashahuds (sitting). It is mentioned in "sifatu salaty an-nabiyy" by shaykh Al-albani r.a.

I encourage bros and sis to get that book so you learn how the prophet :saw: prayed all prayers, voluntary and non voluntary.

Allahu alem

wassalam

slave_of_Allah

Witr is not mentioned in the Quran, only in the Hadeeth. At-Tirmizhi mentioned hadeeths that the prophet prayed the witr as thirteen, nine, seven, five, three and one rak'`aat. There are also hadeeths reproting that the prophet sometimes made the Salaam after each two rak`aat and before the final one rak`a and on other occasions, joined the rak`aat without the intermediate Salaam, much like in Maghrib prayer. One Hadeeth reported by Al-Bukhaari and Muslim and narrated by `Aa'isha, may God have been pleased with her, that the prophet prayed witr as thirteen rak`aat and only joined the last five rak`aat. Sa`d ibn Abi-Waqqaas, may God have been pleased with him, prayed witr as one rak`a.

So, the point is that all kinds of combinations are OK and have been practiced by the prophet, peace be upon him. The only criterion is that the total number of rak`aat is odd and that the Qunoot supplication is offered in the last rak`aa.

Jazka'Allah khair for sharing this. Indeed i didn't know. I pray Allah grants your soul with al Firadausl A'la, and helps you to beocme closer to Him in this blessed month. Aameen.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum
JazakAllah khair for the question and for the beautiful answers, it was confusing for me a bit too cuz i had always prayed witr as 3 rukaat but when i came to Canada in our mosque they prayed witr 2 and 1 rukaat so i was really confused but someone explain both are acceptable :) So ALhumdulilah now i have more proof that both are acceptable
Thank U :)

slave_of_Allah

salamu alaykum

very good mashallah. Just to add to what you said is that if Witr is prayed 3 rekah, it should be done with one tashahud (sitting) and Salam. Because the voluntary prayers should not resemble obligatory once. As in maghrib , there is two tashahuds (sitting). It is mentioned in "sifatu salaty an-nabiyy" by shaykh Al-albani r.a.

I encourage bros and sis to get that book so you learn how the prophet :saw: prayed all prayers, voluntary and non voluntary.

Allahu alem

wassalam

Jazka'Allah khair for informing us about this. Alhamduillah i learnt something new. Jazka'Allah khair for also advising us to obtain that book, and insha'Allah i will try my best to grt it.

I pray Allah blesses your beautiful soul with al Firadausal A'la, and makes your heart weep in rememberance of Allah in the early hours of the morning. Aameen. I pray Allah forgives you, and has mercy on your soul. Aameen.

slave_of_Allah

:salam2: brothers and sisters

well, i have a doubt ....
witr is offered one rakaah right?...
do you have any quranic proof that witr is offered 1 rakaah!..
i know witr is offered 1 rakaah but my brothers say it is 3 rakkah..plz give me quran proof....i wanna show my btohers

Jazka'Allah khair ukhtii for asking this, because of you I also learnt something new. For this i will give you many du'as.

I pray Allah gives your beautiful soul a palace in jannah tul firdos, and you are blessed to drink from rivers in jannah, and eat from fruits in jannah, and to wear clothes from jannah. Aameen!

Ya Allah please remove all pain and discomfort from 'Allah is with me', and give her the strength to keep working hard, in order to get to jannah. Aameen!! Ya Rabb, please forgive her!

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: "Every Muslim should pray witr. Anyone who likes to pray 5 rakats of witr he should do so., and anyone who likes to pray 3rakats, he should do so, and anyone who likes to pray one rakat, he should do so." (Abu Dawud, Nisai, Ibn Majah)

in shafi school, witr is sunnah but in hanafi school its wajib. also in hanafi school praying 3 rakat is common.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
Jazka'Allah khair ukhtii for asking this, because of you I also learnt something new. For this i will give you many du'as.

I pray Allah gives your beautiful soul a palace in jannah tul firdos, and you are blessed to drink from rivers in jannah, and eat from fruits in jannah, and to wear clothes from jannah. Aameen!

Ya Allah please remove all pain and discomfort from 'Allah is with me', and give her the strength to keep working hard, in order to get to jannah. Aameen!! Ya Rabb, please forgive her!

oh sister ameen to your duaa!!....
mashallah! sister, you really made me happy by saying such beautiful words, and may you, and the whole muslimah stand beside myhammad (s.a.w) on the day of judgemeant-ameen

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: "Every Muslim should pray witr. Anyone who likes to pray 5 rakats of witr he should do so., and anyone who likes to pray 3rakats, he should do so, and anyone who likes to pray one rakat, he should do so." (Abu Dawud, Nisai, Ibn Majah)

in shafi school, witr is sunnah but in hanafi school its wajib. also in hanafi school praying 3 rakat is common.

ah! thanks brother...
ay allah reward you