about salafis and wahabis ...and auliyas....

mubashirhasan

:salam2:
i have two questions in my mind ....and im rationaly seeking there answers...
first of all ...can any one tell me...does salafis and wahabis means the same???
in the sight of salaf,aulliya exists or not????
:wasalam:

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

In reality, there is no such thing as "Wahhaabis". This term was only used by the misguided people to call those who followed the steps of Sheikh Muhammad Ibn AbdulWahhaab (May Allaah swt have mercy on him). Insha Allaah this would enlighten you.

Advice to those who do not recognize the Salafi scholars and call them Wahhaabis

Question:
what do you say to those who do not acknowledge (for whatever reason) the scholars of today such as shaikh Uthaymeen, shaykh bin Baaz raheemahullah, shaykh Al-Albaani raheemahullah? a few call them wahabi and say that these scholars follow a new sect rather than the universal deen of al-Islam that was followed by all the major scholars of the past.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim is obliged to accept the teachings of Islam, and act upon them. When he hears of some word or deed which is based on evidence (daleel) from the Qur’aan or Sunnah, then he has to accept it and give it priority over anything else. He should check what people say against the evidence of sharee’ah, and only accept those views which are in accordance with that evidence. It is known that Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd Al-Wahhaab (may Allaah have mercy on him) called people to Tawheed and he wrote his famous book on that topic which is called Kitaab al-Tawheed. In this book he limited himself to quoting only the clear evidence from the verses of the Qur’aan and the saheeh ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Commentaries on this book were written by his grandson ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Hasan and other scholars. Hence none of his opponents can refute this book or claim that his evidence is false. They fabricated lies and believed them, so they believed that he was misguided. They gave the same label to the scholars of the Muslims such as Shaykh Ibn Baaz and Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on them both). It is known that the shaykhs whom we have mentioned did not deviate from the correct view with regard to beliefs and actions; they followed the same path as the Sahaabah and Taabi’een, the four imaams, the authors of the Six Books and others. Those who do not acknowledge them do that either out of ignorance, blind imitation of others, jealousy, stubbornness or following their own whims and desires, or adherence to traditions, bid’ah (innovation) and evil actions that go against the evidence (of sharee’ah). Earlier and later scholars have proven such people to be wrong. So we must follow the evidence and give it priority over the views of all people.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen

************​

Who are the Wahhaabis and what is their message?

Question:
i have recently come to islam and people have told me to stay away from wahabis, who are they and wht do they preech?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is obligatory upon the Muslim to follow the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), according to the way of the righteous salaf who followed the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the Sahaabah and those who followed them – may Allaah be pleased with them all. These people are called Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah (the People of the Sunnah and the Community). Everyone who follows the way brought by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is one of them. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought the message of Tawheed (absolute Oneness of Allaah) and rejection of shirk (polytheism, or association of others with Allaah); he called people to worship Allaah alone and none other. With regard to the word “Wahhaabis”, some people use this word to refer to the message of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab ibn Sulaymaan al-Tameemi al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him), and they call him and his followers Wahhaabis. Everyone who has any knowledge of the movement of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab (may Allaah have mercy on him) and his message knows that he sought to spread the message of pure Tawheed and to warn against shirk in all its forms, such as attachment to the dead, or to trees and rocks, etc. In his ‘aqeedah (belief), he was following the way of the righteous Salaf and the Taabi’een [i.e., the earliest generations of Islam], as is indicated by his books and fatwas, and the books of his followers among his sons and grandsons and others. All of these books are in print and are in circulation among the people. His message was in accordance with the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Wahhaabism is not a new way or a new school of thought; rather it is a call to Tawheed and the revival of aspects of the religion that had been forgotten. What you have to do is to beware of those who warn you against the Wahhaabis, because they are warning you against following the truth and the early generation of this ummah. Applying the word “Wahhaabis” to those who adhere to correct belief and warning people against them is the way of the ignorant and biased. We ask Allaah to keep you safe and sound.

See Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), 3/1206; see also Question # 12203. And Allaah knows best/

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother mubashirhasan,

Sheikh Muhammad ibn Salih Al-Uthaimeen [may Allah have mercy on him] was one of the salafi scholars. His view is mentioned in the fatwa [religious opinion] found on the website supervised by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 32470 [Is it permissible to say that a particular person is one of the awliya’ (close friends) of Allaah?]

Question:

Is it permissible to say that a particular person is a wali or close friend of Allaah because of his righteousness and piety, whether he is living or dead, such as saying for example, The scholar so and so is one of the awliya’ of Allaah?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah has mentioned the signs by which His close friends or awliya’ may be known. They are: faith (eemaan) and piety (taqwa). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“No doubt! Verily, the Awliyaa’ of Allaah, no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.

Those who believed, and used to fear Allaah much (by abstaining from evil deeds and sins and by doing righteous deeds)”

[Yoonus 10:62-63]

But it is not possible to be certain that a particular individual is one of the awliya’ of Allaah, because achieving true faith and piety are matters of the heart that are hidden, and people cannot find out about them. Hence it is possible to think that someone is likely to be a wali, but it is impossible to be certain.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

All Muslims should measure the deeds of those who are claimed to be awliya’ by that which is in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. If they are in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, then we hope that he is one of the awliya’ or close friends of Allaah, but if they go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah, then he is not one of the awliya’ of Allaah. Allaah has mentioned in His Book the fair standards by which His awliya’ may be known, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“No doubt! Verily, the Awliyaa’ of Allaah, no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.

Those who believed, and used to fear Allaah much (by abstaining from evil deeds and sins and by doing righteous deeds)”

[Yoonus 10:62-63]

Whoever is a believer and is pious is a close friend of Allaah, and whoever is not like that is not a close friend of Allaah. If he has some faith and piety then he is a friend of Allaah to some extent.

Nevertheless we cannot be certain about a specific person, but we say in general that everyone who believes and is pious is a friend of Allaah (wali).

Fataawa Muhimmah, p. 83, 84.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Source: http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=32470&ln=eng

Please click on the following two links. They'll take you to two of my posts which deal with the term "Wahhaabis":

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92850&postcount=8
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92913&postcount=14

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

M

Moadeeb

Al salam 3alaikom,

Regarding the word "Salafi", I think it means following the "salaf" who are the Prophet and his companions and the right thing to do is be a salafi. However, the word seems to be used with scholars who are more "strict". I find a scholar like Qaradawi calling himself a Salafi although he wouldn't be referred to as Salafi since his opinions are more open minded. A scholar like Ibn Uthaymeen would certainly be called a Salafi since his opinions are more strict. Both opinions are to be respected.

Moadeeb

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum brother Moadeeb,

You wrote the following:

Regarding the word "Salafi", I think it means following the "salaf" who are the Prophet and his companions and the right thing to do is be a salafi. However, the word seems to be used with scholars who are more "strict". I find a scholar like Qaradawi calling himself a Salafi although he wouldn't be referred to as Salafi since his opinions are more open minded. A scholar like Ibn Uthaymeen would certainly be called a Salafi since his opinions are more strict. Both opinions are to be respected.

Your association of the word "Salaf" with the Companions of the Prophet [peace be upon him] is indeed correct. A Salafi is one who strives to follow the Qur'an and authentic sayings of the Prophet [peace be upon him] as these two sources were understood by the Companions.

The translation of the meanings of verse 100 of Chapter 9 of the Qur'an [Surat at-Tawbah] is as follows:

And the foremost to embrace Islâm of the Muhâjirûn (those who migrated from Makkah to Al-Madinah) and the Ansâr (the citizens of Al-Madinah who helped and gave aid to the Muhâjirûn ) and also those who followed them exactly (in Faith). Allâh is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success.

Source: http://qurancomplex.org/Quran/Targama/Targama.asp?nSora=9&l=eng&nAya=100

What you stated about "the word seems to be used with scholars who are more "strict" " is true, but only in popular thought.

To begin with, what's considered "strict/closed minded" and what's considered "open minded" in the view of many Muslims [unfortunately] is based on whether the fatwa is easy or hard to abide by. If it's easy, then they term the scholar who issued it "open minded", and if it's hard or harder then he gets the label "strict". And that is just an unacceptable standard.

There's also this popular notion that Salafi scholars must absolutely be "strict" in all matters and there's no room for different opinions among them. That's just not true. While Salafi scholars call for one opinion in the basic articles of faith [such as the absolute prohibition of supplicating to any dead person, even if it's our beloved Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him-], there's room for many views in other matters.

For example, Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albani [may Allah have mercy on him] was a Salafi scholar. He was originally from Albania but migrated as a child with his father to Damascus in Syria. He studied religious sciences and then was absorbed with the study of the science of Hadith. He became the most famous and outstanding scholar of Hadith in the last century. He also called for leaving innovations and returning to the pure Creed that the Prophet [peace be upon him] taught his Companions. He was called the derogatory term "Wahhaabi" by his opponents in Syria.

The scholars of Saudi Arabia honoured him and respected his views very much [especially in the field of Hadith], and yet there was a difference of opinion in certain matters.

The scholars of Saudi Arabia saw that it was obligatory for women to cover their faces.

Sheikh Al-Albani saw that this was an optional matter for the woman. If she wished to cover her face, then she'll receive more good deeds, but if she just wore the hijab [covered all her body with modest clothing except her face and hands], then she's not doing anything wrong.

I'm not going to get into which is the correct opinion, since this is the domain of scholars, and I'm certainly no scholar.

Can anyone really say that Sheikh Al-Albani wasn't a "Salafi" because of his view on the hijab?

I'd also be very grateful if you -and other brothers and sisters in Islam- were to read an interview with the wife of Sheikh Ibn Uthaimeen. I already loved the Sheikh [may Allah have mercy on him], but my love for him increased after reading it. It will certainly challenge the perception of his "strictness"!!

Please click on the following link to download the PDF file. It was originally posted by brother Globalpeace [may Allah reward him]:

http://www.understand-islam.net/Articles/InterviewwithSh.Uthaimeen-swife.pdf

Best regards,

Bluegazer

sajjuaiah

in the sight of salaf,aulliya exists or not????
:wasalam:[/QUOTE]

Q121. Who are "Awliyah Allah"?
Answer.
1.Meaning

The word 'Awliya' singular 'wali' comes from the root word of 'wilaya'. 'Wilaya' is the opposite of enemity (adawaa). The Wali is thereforethe one who is close.

Those who believe take Allah as their Wali as mentioned in the Quran in Surah Baqara 2 : 257 "Allah is the protector of those who have Faith: from the depths of darkness he will lead them forth into light. "
Those who disbelieve take Satan as their Awliya
2:257".. Of those who reject Faith the patrons are the evil ones: from light they will lead them froth into the depths of darkness."

2.Characteristics of a Awliya Allah
1. Taqwa and Imam
Allah says in the Quran in Surah Yunus 10:62-63
"Behold verily on the friends of Allah is no fear, nor shall they grieve; Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil (have Taqwa)"

The Awliya Allah have firm belief in Allah without any shirk in any form. They also have sincere Taqwa. What is Taqwa this description is present in the Quran in many places. Lets see the description given right in the beginning of the Quran in Baqara 2:2-4 "This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who have Taqwa; Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them. And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter."

2. Obedience of the Prophet
Allah says in the Quran in Surah Ale Imran 3:31
"Say: "If ye do love Allah, follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins; for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

3.Obedience of the Prophet is compulsory if a person loves Allah and wants to be loved by Allah. Hence the Awliya Allah obey the prophet and follow the way shown by the prophet. Whatever stage the person reaches in his devotion, asceticism or knowledge, but without belief in the entire message brought by Muhammed(SAW), it can never make him a Wali of Allah.

Rasoolullah (SAW) said it is recorded in Sahih Bukhari vol 8: no 509
"Allah said, 'I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine. And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him."

This Hadith describes the Awliyah Allah. Allah says "And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory)" Hence the Awliyah Allah not only do all Fardh acts but also perform Nawafils to come closer to Allah. When Allah says "so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks" it means that whatever the person hears, sees, does or walks towards are all acts which Allah has approved of. Indeed it is Allah alone who makes them do so because they have done acts that pleased Allah.
They strive to follow the right path. But they are not Masoom (sinless) as thought by many people. They make mistakes but repent as soon as they realise.
4:17 "Allah accepts the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and repent soon afterwards; to them will Allah turn in mercy: for Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom."
Rasoolullah (SAW) said "All of the children of Adam do sins but the best of those who do sins are those who constantly repent"
[Sahih Bukhari]

4.Awliya Allah have no special Appearance
Awliya Allah have no special appearance with which they differ from other people. They have no special dress from other than that which is permissible. Rather they are to be found in all catagories of the nation of Muhammed(SAW). However the Quran clearly shows that the most high and honourable among men are those who have Taqwa.
"..Verily the most honoured amongst you are those who have the maximum Taqwa.."[ Surah Hujurat 49:13]

5.Divine revelation is needed to identify the Awliya Allah
The Awliya Allah are those who fear Allah much, truly believe and do righteous deeds not only Fardh but also Nawafil. However knowing whether a person really has Taqwa or no is known only to Allah. There were several instance from the life time of the Prophet
1. Person fighting bravely in Uhud
2. Person killed at Khaybar [Sahih Muslim 1: no 209]
3. On the authority of Abu Huraira (radhi allahu anhu) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saying: “… (Another) will be a man who has acquired knowledge (Ilm) and has taught it and who used to recite the Qur’aan. He will be brought (on the Day of Judgement) and Allah will make known to him His favors and he will acknowledge them. The All Mighty will say: “And what did you do about them? He will say: “I studied knowledge and taught it and recited the Qur’aan for your sake. He will say: “ You have lied- you did acquire knowledge so that it might be said (of you): ‘He is learned.’ Then, he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast into the Hellfire...” [Saheeh Muslim # 4688, narrated Abu Huraira, At-Tirmidhee and an-Nisaee]
4. Rasoolullah(SAW) taught us " ..If anyone has to praise his brother at all , he should say I think him to be so and so, and even on this he should say I do not consider anyone purer than what Allah considers.."[Sahih Muslim 4 no 7140]

Today however people are lax about this matter. If we say so and so is a wali of Allah then it is as if we are claiming thast we have received the revelation of Allah. Hence we should leave the matter to Allah to decide. If the person was the wali of Allah , Allah will surely reward him according to his effort.

6.Why Qualities of Awliya Allah described?
Allah (SWT) describes the qualities of awliya Allah so that all can strive to achieve that position and hence get the reward promised to the Awliya Allah "..for them are glad tidings in this life and the hereafter.."[10:63]

7.Easy to identify who is not an Awliya Allah
Anyone who does any fundamental act of disobedience to Allah, or does Shirk or follows a way other than that of the messenger (SAW) then clearly such a person is not a wali of Allah.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Akhi salamu alaykum,

Akhi i know that yusuf kardawi has given many fatawas that are really bad however, we should not be calling people mubtadi (innovators) same as we don't have the right to call somone a kafir or munafiq. That is the job of the ulema. Have you found any of the ulema call him a mubtadi, so be really careful about that akhi.

A.a

Great job bro:)

misalat

Akhi salamu alaykum,

Akhi i know that yusuf kardawi has given many fatawas that are really bad however, we should not be calling people mubtadi (innovators) same as we don't have the right to call somone a kafir or munafiq. That is the job of the ulema. Have you found any of the ulema call him a mubtadi, so be really careful about that akhi.

A.a

Absolutely yes, we should not be calling our highly educated sheikhs Innovators if we did not like anything they said or fatawas they have issued - as only ALLAH knows best, we should refrain from what we think is against the Qurán and Sunah and follow what we think is in accordance.
May Allah guide us to the right path AMEEN!

bigman

Assalamu Alaikum brother Moadeeb,

You wrote the following:

Your association of the word "Salaf" with the Companions of the Prophet [peace be upon him] is indeed correct. A Salafi is one who strives to follow the Qur'an and authentic sayings of the Prophet [peace be upon him] as these two sources were understood by the Companions.

The translation of the meanings of verse 100 of Chapter 9 of the Qur'an [Surat at-Tawbah] is as follows:

Source: http://qurancomplex.org/Quran/Targama/Targama.asp?nSora=9&l=eng&nAya=100

What you stated about "the word seems to be used with scholars who are more "strict" " is true, but only in popular thought.

To begin with, what's considered "strict/closed minded" and what's considered "open minded" in the view of many Muslims [unfortunately] is based on whether the fatwa is easy or hard to abide by. If it's easy, then they term the scholar who issued it "open minded", and if it's hard or harder then he gets the label "strict". And that is just an unacceptable standard.

There's also this popular notion that Salafi scholars must absolutely be "strict" in all matters and there's no room for different opinions among them. That's just not true. While Salafi scholars call for one opinion in the basic articles of faith [such as the absolute prohibition of supplicating to any dead person, even if it's our beloved Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him-], there's room for many views in other matters.

For example, Sheikh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albani [may Allah have mercy on him] was a Salafi scholar. He was originally from Albania but migrated as a child with his father to Damascus in Syria. He studied religious sciences and then was absorbed with the study of the science of Hadith. He became the most famous and outstanding scholar of Hadith in the last century. He also called for leaving innovations and returning to the pure Creed that the Prophet [peace be upon him] taught his Companions. He was called the derogatory term "Wahhaabi" by his opponents in Syria.

The scholars of Saudi Arabia honoured him and respected his views very much [especially in the field of Hadith], and yet there was a difference of opinion in certain matters.

The scholars of Saudi Arabia saw that it was obligatory for women to cover their faces.

Sheikh Al-Albani saw that this was an optional matter for the woman. If she wished to cover her face, then she'll receive more good deeds, but if she just wore the hijab [covered all her body with modest clothing except her face and hands], then she's not doing anything wrong.

I'm not going to get into which is the correct opinion, since this is the domain of scholars, and I'm certainly no scholar.

Can anyone really say that Sheikh Al-Albani wasn't a "Salafi" because of his view on the hijab?

I'd also be very grateful if you -and other brothers and sisters in Islam- were to read an interview with the wife of Sheikh Ibn Uthaimeen. I already loved the Sheikh [may Allah have mercy on him], but my love for him increased after reading it. It will certainly challenge the perception of his "strictness"!!

Please click on the following link to download the PDF file. It was originally posted by brother Globalpeace [may Allah reward him]:

http://www.understand-islam.net/Articles/InterviewwithSh.Uthaimeen-swife.pdf

Best regards,

Bluegazer

ma'shaa alaah

three17ent

Sub-hanallahe 'amma-yushreekun!!

Ya know whats interesting, I've been called a salafi- "what a salaf" was the excact wording. was told that I have a mindset of a wahabi, kind of badgering the ones who are "wahabis" and all this is for upholding the truth about NOT celebrating the birthday of the prophet sallalahulaihe wasalam. and of course they are just off on some other things. Just really odd I think, because of how they are quick to call someone else a label, but they are the ones who are doing the bidah....*sigh-May Allah guide us all....

:salah: