Greetings!

Mairo

Maryama
Assalaamu Aleykum,

I am so glad to have found this forum! I am new to the "online message board" community. This one seems to be especially positive with great feedback and so much helpful information posted. I look forward to becoming more involved and getting to know you all better.

A little about myself: I am an American who was initially atheist, then later became a practicing Christian, and eventually became an individual who simply believed in God without any religion. My first introduction to Islam came when I was in my early 20's and lived as a Peace Corps volunteer in a Muslim country in West Africa (Niger). I had initially been nervous about the idea of living as a women in a Muslim society, based on all the negative information I had been fed about the religion from the US media. I imagined that I would feel oppressed or looked down upon in some way because I was not Muslim.

Instead I found that Islam was the most beautiful religion I had ever witnessed being practiced, and I was always treated with kindness and respect regardless of my differing opinions. I learned a bit about Muhammad's life and also fasted during Ramadan. I tried to read some of the Quran, but I did not really understand it at the time. I also was fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn directly from the personal example of several individuals who were dedicated Muslims who practiced their religion devoutly. They really had a positive effect on developing my deep respect for Islam. However, at the time I still did not feel it was the religion for me.

After returning to the US and continuing to try to live my life with truth and integrity, I eventually came back to studying about Islam. I picked up a copy of the Quran again, and combined that with reading a biography of Muhammad. This time I had a completely different experience reading it, Alhamdulilah! I knew without question that it was the truth from God, and I had no other option but to embrace it completely as my religion and strive to follow it to the best of my ability.

I have found it very challenging to be an American revert to Islam, in many ways I feel like it is just like the examples of the first Muslims who converted at the time of Muhammad. Fortunately my husband is Muslim and we are very supportive of each other, which is wonderful. But I have felt alienation from my own family and society because of my new lifestyle, while also not fully feeling a part of the Muslim community.

In large part I thnk this is because there are so many sects that have developed among Muslims, and these are all represented here in the US. I have read that the prophet Muhammad, PBUH, stated that there will come a time when Muslims will practice like strangers in their own religion, and I feel this is the case for me. He also said that many sects will develop due to innovation in the religion, just as there are in Judaism and Christianity - but that all of these ways are in the fire except for one. There will remain a body of followers who will stay true to the prophet's teachings until the end. Inshallah we will remain guided on the right path.

I am very encouraged by the dialogue I have discovered on this website and look forward to being able to further my knowledge thanks to the information shared by everyone here. Best wishes and peace to you all!

Salaam sweet sister in Islam,

Jazakallah khair for sharing your story. Your reversion to Islam confirms my beliefs more than before. It is only the wise ones that truly accept Islam as their creed, culture, language, and way of life. We owe everything to Allah swt. Allah swt guides whom He wills. The light of Allah swt is perfected even in the most hostile environments despite post 9/11 and what the media tells the public. Truly these are His signs of perfection. May Allah continue to guide you with His blessings and sunshines.

We look forward to your inputs and contributions.

Your brother in Islam,
TheHumbleWun

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
:ma:Beautiful story!! Islam is a gift from Allah!! Welcome to the TTI family. There is a wealth of information here that will benefit you. Enjoy your journey in seeking knowledge.:blackhijab:

Mairo

Maryama
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome and encouragement, it is greatly appreciated! I feel blessed for the opportunity to get to know you all and become a part of the community here with TTI. Thanks again

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Wa alaikoom assalam sister !!

Welcome to TTI and congratulations on your reversion !!

Mahs'Allah, beautiful story.

Looking forward to read your contribution.

~niyqaabiy~

Sami'gna wa ato'gna
:salam2:

:ma: that's an inspiring story! Al'hamduwlillaah!

".... there comes to you guidance from ME,
whosoever follows My guidance,
will not lose his way,
nor fall into misery..."

[Taha 20:123]

:SMILY206:

BrotherZak

Assalaamu Aleykum,

I am so glad to have found this forum! I am new to the "online message board" community. This one seems to be especially positive with great feedback and so much helpful information posted. I look forward to becoming more involved and getting to know you all better.

A little about myself: I am an American who was initially atheist, then later became a practicing Christian, and eventually became an individual who simply believed in God without any religion. My first introduction to Islam came when I was in my early 20's and lived as a Peace Corps volunteer in a Muslim country in West Africa (Niger). I had initially been nervous about the idea of living as a women in a Muslim society, based on all the negative information I had been fed about the religion from the US media. I imagined that I would feel oppressed or looked down upon in some way because I was not Muslim.

Instead I found that Islam was the most beautiful religion I had ever witnessed being practiced, and I was always treated with kindness and respect regardless of my differing opinions. I learned a bit about Muhammad's life and also fasted during Ramadan. I tried to read some of the Quran, but I did not really understand it at the time. I also was fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn directly from the personal example of several individuals who were dedicated Muslims who practiced their religion devoutly. They really had a positive effect on developing my deep respect for Islam. However, at the time I still did not feel it was the religion for me.

After returning to the US and continuing to try to live my life with truth and integrity, I eventually came back to studying about Islam. I picked up a copy of the Quran again, and combined that with reading a biography of Muhammad. This time I had a completely different experience reading it, Alhamdulilah! I knew without question that it was the truth from God, and I had no other option but to embrace it completely as my religion and strive to follow it to the best of my ability.

I have found it very challenging to be an American revert to Islam, in many ways I feel like it is just like the examples of the first Muslims who converted at the time of Muhammad. Fortunately my husband is Muslim and we are very supportive of each other, which is wonderful. But I have felt alienation from my own family and society because of my new lifestyle, while also not fully feeling a part of the Muslim community.

In large part I thnk this is because there are so many sects that have developed in Islam, and these are all represented here in the US. I have read that the prophet Muhammad, PBUH, stated that there will come a time when Muslims will practice like strangers in their religion, and I feel this is the case for me. He also said that many sects will develop in Islam just as there were in Judaism and Christianity - but that all of these ways are in the fire except for one. There will remain a body of followers who will stay true to the prophet's teachings until the end. Inshallah we will remain guided on the right path.

I am very encouraged by the dialogue I have discovered on this website and look forward to being able to further my knowledge thanks to the information shared by everyone here. Best wishes and peace to you all!

Salam sister and greeting from Canada and hope you enjoy your stay. Btw what impressed you about the quran or how was it different from the bible?

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Aaslaamu'Alykum,

Welcome to the site and Alhamdulilah on your reversion.

:SMILY139:

Wasalam

dianek

Welcome to TTI!!! I too am a revert but found your story very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!!!!

tulipflower777

Assalamualaikum... you are most welcome to the tti family!hope you will enjoy here with us. May Allah bless and inspire you with your new religion Ameen.

Mairo

Maryama
Thank you all again so much for the wonderful welcome! It means so much to me and I feel honored to be your sister in Islam.

Brother Zak - I hope I can answer a bit your question regarding the Bible vs the Quran . . . I think the reason I was so struck by the Quran this time around was in part due to the experiences I had accumulated in my life up to that point. Ever since I had embraced Christianity in my early 20's, I have been striving to live a good and truthful life. Even when I left Christianity as a religion, I still placed the emphasis in my life on living honestly with integrity and and fighting not to be hypocritical in my beliefs and deeds. I think this all brought me to a point where I was immediately stuck by the truth of the Quran when I read it again.

I think the only part of the Bible that is really similar to the Quran is the original Torah, because it was recited to Moses in a similar way that the Quran was revealed to Mohammad. But I still today find it helpful and educational to learn from all of the books written in the Bible, and especially to see that the message from God through the years is truly all the same message. I think it is good for a person to know the stories in the Bible and the history they provide. However, the only book I personally feel I can fully trust is the Quran. Allahu Akbar! May peace and blessings rest on his prophet Muhammad for delivering this final message to us.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Sorry to invade, but thats so true ^ Allahu Akbar.

I remember in my primary school days, even though i am born muslim learning about some of the stories in the Bible. Its good to know and when learning from the Qur'an you relise the same message too. Like the samaritan story, that really sparked my imagination, you know picturing out the scene and how the other two men just walked off without any care (I think its like that). These may look like kids stories but still. I can't remember most of them but Alhamdulilah.

The difficulty of the Bible from my very minute understanding, was that it would say one thing and then another somewhere else. No real continuity, it left me confused when sometimes reading a certain story. Is this to do with alterations by man? Or maybe because i was pretty young.

I am not sure. :)

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam :SMILY139:

isabelelsherif

welcome sister to this wonderful website

i too am going thru the same things

i will be taking my shahadah tomorrow the 1st of January and feel i am neither here or there

my husband is also a practicing muslim and has been my insperation but he is the only muslim person i speak with i have yet to find a muslimah as a close friend but in time i am sure i will

:tti_sister:

Mairo

Maryama
Thank you for your reply, Ditta. When I was younger my parents made me go to Sunday School at church. I really disliked attending church at that age - even when I was so young I saw how hypocritical the followers were and was really turned off by that. The only class I found interesting was when I was about 12 we studied Jesus's life and the 4 gospels. I was so surprised to find out what Jesus's character was really like! Before that I only had these images from the stained glass, etc. and somehow thought Jesus would be something completely different. I was touched by so many of the stories of how he related with people and really fell in love with the character of Jesus. The trouble I had was with the miracles, I just didn't believe they could have happened. But I knew that he was a good role model in his life for anyone to follow.

Isabel - congratulations on your decision! Hold fast to Allah and the religion of Islam, and know that we will always have God as our friend, even if everyone else around us turns away. Feel free to contact me at any time if you need a friend to chat with :)