how to use this

palestine

Servant of Allah
siwaak is the toothbrush, the stick one used by many muslims. black seed i believe is the olive oil.

TiLKi

Local Stranger
I know siwaak, but I know it as "Miswak". You peel the skin on it bit (only as much you will use and it is generllay 1-2 cm) then you clean your teeth with this part where you peeled. and when it is old, you cut there and peel again till its finished.

warda A

Sister

TiLKi

Local Stranger
Oh caraway, I use it so: I mash it and put into honey. Then I eat everyday one sweet spoon.

what are these?

The miswak or siwak is a natural toothbrush made from the twigs of the Salvadora persica tree, also known as the arak tree or the peelu tree.

And Aicha Radiya Allaho anha said, "The Prophet said, ". Siwak is a purification for the mouth and it is a way of seeking Allah pleasures.

And narrated Abu Huraira, "The Prophet said, 'But for my fear that it would be hard for my followers, I would have ordered them to clean their teeth with Siwak on every ablution."

And Black seed is one of the few that is said to "cure all diseases except death."

TiLK

I know siwaak, but I know it as "Miswak". You peel the skin on it bit (only as much you will use and it is generllay 1-2 cm) then you clean your teeth with this part where you peeled. and when it is old, you cut there and peel again till its finished.
It sounds easy but have you ever tried to do it? I did it once and my mouth was just fool of woods peaces. I had to brush it again with a general teeth brush. What did I do a mistake?

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
salams you have to be careful with black seed as well. if you have too much it can be dangerous for you, but i also thought it was black cumin seeds?????

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
I tried using it as well, it's not easy..(miswak)

Oh and, do you need to put toothpaste on it or it's not necessary?

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
salams no need for toothpaste as the juices in the miswak freshens the breath and kills any grems etc mashallah , subhanallah

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
Discover the Secret of Black Seed
Black Seed truly is an Amazing Herb!

For centuries, the Black Seed herb and oil has been used by millions of people in Asia, Middle East, and Africa to support their health. An aromatic spice, similar looking to sesame seed except black in color, it has been traditionally used for a variety of conditions and treatments related to respiratory health, stomach and intestinal health, kidney and liver function, circulatory and immune system support, and for general overall well-being. Black Seed is also known as Black Cumin, Black Caraway Seed, Habbatul Baraka (the Blessed Seed), and by its botanical name "Nigella Sativa".

Since 1959, over 200 studies at international universities and articles published in various journals have shown remarkable results supporting its traditional uses recorded almost 1400 years ago.

While the Black Seed is highly effective by itself, ongoing studies with the combination of other herbs have produced remarkable results.

Amazingly Black Seed's chemical composition is very rich and diverse. Aside from its primary ingredient, crystalline nigellone, Black Seed contains 15 amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, both fixed oils (84% fatty acids, including linolenic, and oleic), and volatile oils, alkaloids, saponin, and crude fiber, as well as minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium and potassium. There are still many components in Black Seed that haven't been identified. But research is going on around the world. *

As with many supplements, black cumin seed works best when used on a regular basis so that it can support the body’s natural healing ability. Though there is no known toxicity, pregnant and lactating women should not use black cumin seed, which has a history of use in large doses to induce abortion.

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE MISWAK

Siwak: Preventive Medicine For Your Teeth
Islam Online, Cairo

One of the best ways to protect one’s teeth is the siwak, which was mentioned in several sayings of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Siwak are the wicks that are used to rub inside the mouth, and they get their name from the Arabic word “yudlik,” which can be roughly translated to mean “massage” (i.e., massage the inside of the mouth). It means more than “tooth brush.”

The best type of siwak is that which comes from the araak tree. The siwak of the Prophet (pbuh) was from that tree. The siwak is a natural twig fortified with natural minerals that help clean the teeth, other inhibitors that prevent gums from bleeding, cleaning agents that kill microbes and germs and a scent that gives breath a naturally fresh smell. The siwak is an ideal, natural brush that has been endowed with more than any artificial toothpaste could ever have.

Like a toothbrush, the wicks on the siwak clean between the teeth and do not break under any amount of pressure; rather, they are flexible and strong. The small wicks bend to the appropriate shape to get plaque and leftover food out from in between teeth while avoiding any damage to the gums.

The Prophet (pbuh) taught us more than 1,400 years ago to use the siwak to clean our teeth and mouth and give it a nice scent. Anas quoted the Prophet (pbuh) as saying: “Whenever the Angel Gabriel would visit me, he would advise me to use the siwak.”

The leftovers of food found between teeth provide an excellent environment for the festering of millions of bacteria, which can lead to painful and bloody gum disease and cysts. In the worst cases, there can be inflammation of the jawbones.

Bacteria also produce damaging enzymes that eat away at the calcium of the teeth, which causes cavities. In severe cases, the bacteria produce gases that emit nasty stenches from the mouth. Recent studies have found that siwak has natural minerals that kill microbes and germs and remove plaque.

The Prophet (pbuh) used to rub the siwak over his tongue, teeth and gums. Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari said, “I visited the Prophet, peace be upon him, and the siwak was at the edge of his tongue.”

Chemical Breakdown Of A Siwak
Siwak has 19 beneficial ingredients in it. Most important among them are:
Antibacterial acidic inhibitors that fight decay and diarrhea. They are natural disinfectants and can be used to stop bleeding. They disinfect the gums and teeth and close any microscopic cuts that may have existed in the gums. On first usage, the siwak will taste harsh, and maybe even burn, because of a mustard-like substance found in it, but this is the ingredient that fights decay in the mouth and kills germs.
Minerals such as sodium chloride, potassium, sodium bicarbonate and calcium oxides. These clean the teeth. For instance, the American Dental Association considers sodium bicarbonate to be a preferred ingredient in toothpastes.
Natural scented oils that taste and smell nice, give the mouth a nice smell. They make up about 1% of the siwak.
Enzymes that prevent the buildup of plaque that causes gum disease. Plaque is also the no. 1 cause of premature loss of teeth.
Anti-decay and anti-germ ingredients that act as a penicillin of sorts, decreasing the amount of bacteria in the mouth, which means cleaner teeth and cleaner air when breathing through the mouth.
Some researchers have found that tooth decay is rapid when a dry brush is used, and that wetting one’s toothbrush mitigates the damage. So the siwak should be dampened before usage. If there is no alternative, one’s saliva will suffice to dampen the stick. Siwak also has chemicals that cause the mouth to produce extra saliva, which is the mouth’s organic defense and cleaning mechanism.

Science & Technology

TiLKi

Local Stranger
It sounds easy but have you ever tried to do it? I did it once and my mouth was just fool of woods peaces. I had to brush it again with a general teeth brush. What did I do a mistake?

Yes I had used it. There wasnt such problem with me. It was working well.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...

As Salamu Alekum bro/sis

Some types do that sometimes, may be just you need be soak them for a while, or ask your fellows or the imam about a good type in your area

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
I tried using it as well, it's not easy..(miswak)

Oh and, do you need to put toothpaste on it or it's not necessary?

As Salamu Alekum sister

Dentists do say it's uncalled for to add toothpaste to the miswak, they proceed to that it may even cancel the good effects of the miswak itself. I heared it myself from dentists overhere. Subhana Allah :)