Harry Potthead's Magic

BintMuhammad

Staff member
HARRY POTTHEAD’S MAGIC:biggrin:

Faiyaz Khan
Brisbane, Queensland

It will come as a surprise to many Muslims that the third major sin (out of 70) mentioned in the classical work of Imam Adh-Dhahabi (may Allah have mercy on him), Al-Kaba’ir (The Major Sins) is magic. It is worth noting that in the learned Imam’s opinion magic was the third major sin in Islam, only after shirk (polytheism) and murder respectively.

In the age of Harry Potter, witches, vampire slayers and all sorts of other magical creatures and characters, we must stop and take account of what we are reading and watching. Magic has become something that is thought to be harmless and part of everyday entertainment. Like homosexuality, adultery, drug use, fornication, nudity and the like, all have become norms in our society, so much so that we do not have a second thought about these things when confronted by them.

Allah (swt) tells us in Surah al-Baqarah (chapter 2) where magic came from and how it was taught to the people: "… (the shaiyateen (satans)) taught witchcraft to the people and that which was revealed to the two angels, Harut and Marut in the city of Babylon. Yet these two angels never taught magic to anyone without saying: ‘We have been sent to tempt you; do not renounce your faith.’ In spite of this warning those people kept on learning, from the angels, the magic which could cause discord between husband and wife; although they could harm none with it except with Allah’s permission. They learned, indeed, what harmed them and did not profit them; even though they knew fully well that the buyers of magic would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. Surely, they sold their souls for a bad price, if they could understand it!" (Q2:102)

The above ayah (verse) makes it quite clear that whosoever indulges in magic and practices the secret arts, that person becomes a disbeliever, as the statements "do not renounce your faith" and "that the buyers of magic would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter". In other words, to practice magic is kufr (disbelief). Imam Adh-Dhahabi (may Allah have mercy on him) stated that: "The prescribed punishment for an (unrepentant) magician is death, since magic constitutes unbelief in Allah and is a source of spreading unbelief among the people" (p.16).

The above statement of the Imam is from a hadith of the Prophet (s) who declared that: "The prescribed punishment given to a magician is a stroke with the sword" (p.17). [The Imam classified the hadith as sound].

Umar ibn al-Khattab (ra) also gave instructions during his caliphate that every magician whether male or female was to be put to death.

In Surah Al-Falaq [113:4] in the Qur’an, Allah tells us to seeks His Protection "from the evil of malignant witchcraft". Imam Ibn Katheer (may Allah have mercy on him) states in his tafseer (commentary) that this ayat refers to sorcerers.

In Sayyid Qutb’s (may Allah have mercy on him) tafseer, In the Shade of the Qur’an, he states that the above ayat "refers to the various types of magic, whether by deceiving physical senses or by influencing people’s will power and projecting ideas onto their emotions and minds. Magic is the production of illusions, subject to the magician’s designs, and it does not offer any kind of new facts or alter the nature of things" (p.360).

He goes on to state that this is proven by the reference in Surah Ta Ha, of the incident where Musa (alayhis salaam) was challenged by the magicians of Egypt: "The magicians said: "O Musa! Will you throw down first or shall we?" Musa replied: "Go ahead, throw down first". Suddenly it appeared to Musa as if their cords and staffs were moving about because of their magic, and Musa conceived fear within himself. We said: "Do not be afraid! You will surely come out on top. Throw that which is in your right hand. It will swallow up every thing they have produced. What they have produced is nothing but a magician’s trick, and a magician can never succeed against a miracle no matter how skilful he may be." [20:65-69]

In his concluding remarks on the subject of magic, Sayyid Qutb states that, "It is indeed an evil from which Allah’s protection needs to be sought" (p.360).

So this would mean that if Harry Potter were a real person living in a Muslim country under Islamic Shari‘ah (Law), he would be punished for practising magic. This would apply to all other magical characters as well. It is needless to say then that all such movies, books, comics, cartoons, computer games, etc. would be banned in an Islamic state. This would shock and surprise many Muslims today. Many would see this as radical, extremist and fundamentalist!

The ruling on magic in Islam is quite clear from the Qur’anic ayat and the hadith of the Prophet (s). What more proof do Muslims need? Just because magic is being portrayed as harmless entertainment, must we also follow and make what Allah has forbidden permissible? Is magic really harmless? Is Allah not the All-Knowing and does He not want the best for us?

The matter needs to be discussed and the consequences of disobeying Allah realised by all of us. This is not a minor issue, it goes to our iman (faith) - what we believe! We cannot take this sitting down and must educate ourselves and our families about this evil and rectify the problem immediately.

Indeed Allah says in Surah At-Tahrim: "O believers! Save yourselves and your families from hellfire, whose fuel is human beings and stones …" [66:6]

References:

* Adh-Dhahabi, Muhammad bin Uthman. Al-Kaba’ir: The Major Sins.

* F. Malik Qur’an Translation. Alim software, version 6, 1986-99.

* Ibn Katheer, Tafseer Ibn Katheer: Juz Amma. Part 30. (1999) Sameh Strauch (trans.).

* Qutb, Sayyid. In the Shade of the Qur’an. Vol.30. (1998 ed.) M. Adil Salahi and Ahaur A. Shamis (trans.). New Dehli: Islamic Book Service.

SALAM Magazine

And those who strive in Our (cause),- We will certainly guide them to our Paths(29:69)

Aref

salam alaikum
i have to thank you realy,for this great post, many people has the impretion specialy in this society that "if it does look good, thenit is good" make no mistake because all haram things look good, also want to mention the narration about those two muslims that when dajjal will apear one will run away in the oposite direction but the other will say:" y just want to see how does he look like, i will look from far" but as soon a she will see dajjal he will become one of his followers.
somebody may ask why, one of mi teachers (i study in a darul ullom) explained to us that it was just de desire to look at dajjal, meaning this muslim will some how "wish to be close enougth" to dajjal that it could see him and because of that Allah changed his heart.
And also says in a hadiz (is in mishkat-ul masabih)that whosoever folows a group, is from among them (is consider one of that group)
salam.

Kayote

:wasalam:

I dont exactly agree on all the points.

Yes, Magic is evil, used for whatever purpose. But I see Harry Potter is quite harmless story which is well written to excite children. Its not actually encouraging anyone to practise magic simply because the magic used in the stories is far from real & cannot be used like that in real life.

Oh & Im not a Harry Potter fan, Ive not read any of the book, though my brother & sister are massive fans.

Salam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
*Bump* Thought of updating this thread 'cause I read there's a new Harry Potter movie coming soon.

summertime

sister :)
Salam,

I am a huge harry potter fan my self..ive read them all (some more than thrice).....I do see where you coming from... but i don't think reading about stunning spells and proffessor Snapes potions class would really tempt kids into wanting to perform black magic....just my humble opinion (please no attacks..im not in the mood for attacks today).

Walaikum assalam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Wa alaikumussalaam warahmatullaah,

No one would attack you sis and if someone replies against your stand don't take it as a negative attack rather an advise Inshaa'Allaah. Well, it's more than jsut encouraging the kids to perform magic rather patronizing something which promotes something that goes against the Qur'aan and Sunnah.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam,

I am a huge harry potter fan my self..ive read them all (some more than thrice).....I do see where you coming from... but i don't think reading about stunning spells and proffessor Snapes potions class would really tempt kids into wanting to perform black magic....just my humble opinion (please no attacks..im not in the mood for attacks today).

Walaikum assalam

Despite the fact that I love HP and I myself used to wonder what the harm was in the simple hocus pocus type of magic, I do know of a case where two muslim girls who were HUGE HP fans went and decided they wanted to construct a "Polyjuice Potion" (for other HP fans you know what this is). Basically they ended up doing something not so halal and on the lines of borderline haram when it turned out to be real black magic. Suffice to say, an imam had to come and literally "remove" it from the household, leaving those two girls traumatized lol.

You learn something new every day..........

summertime

sister :)
are you serious???? was that for real???If it was then maybe i take back my words...lol..are u sure thats an authentic case???..lol...sorri shouldnt be laughing ....i wonder who the girls wanted to change them selves into...its crazy how simply mixing stuff together could turn out to be bad...is that even possible?? on second thoughts i don't even want to know...:lol: your story has creeped me out!! :lol:

Believer1985

to me, harry potter is purely a work of fiction. I have read all the books beause I, along with a few other millions was gripped by the storyline. this does not make me a bad person and I really feel you shouldnt be judging something you havent studied first.

the main outline of the story is all about a boy who craves nothing more than parental love as his parents die only afew days after his first birthday. magic comes lates to defeat the villain in the story, but i promise you that absolutely no type of magic can be copied or tried from the book...like i say it's all fiction. And JK Rowling happens to be one of my greatest inspirations and muses.
Salaam

alafil63

Assad the Quiet
Salaam aleik'um

i have read the main post, and i think that this Harry Potter is a fictional character, like Merlin or other mages portrayed in books.

Of course, i recomend to mothers-and the Prophet (pbuh) say that heaven is under mothers foot-be careful to avoid children fantasies come true, Harry Potter shall be a fantasy book, no more than this.

I disagree if childrens acquire HP tools, but this is a great matter that i want discuss on another thread

*Saniyah*

ukhtikum fillaah
:salam2:

The stories we should avoid telling our children!
Sheikh Muhammad Salah

[vg]-1902528228645518976[/vg]

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

For me HPs are just fancy stories as like as many others. I wonder why adults see so much worry with imagination but not real problems of the world!

:SMILY309:

Our sisters and brothers (and other people too) are dying for diseases and hunger and we are thinking effection of some books????

Shame on you...

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
As Salaam Alaykum Sister,

I'm seeing the above discussion, in fact Shaykh Muhammad Salaah is making the same point as you.
He is saying we should not tell our children fantastic stories like superman or something. because they might believe that they can get just wings and liberate Al Aqsa without doing anything. We should teach things which are achievabale....
...I'm listening more...

cmelbouzaidi

I agree we should separate fiction from reality but I personally don't see the harm in a young child watching something with a fictional character in it with fictional special powers. Also, it depends on the child. I grew up watching Tom n Jerry cartoons and never felt like hitting someone over the head with a frying-pan but some kids did and do!! A parent should use their best judgement and seek help from Allah. My son is only six and he loves Spiderman and is always shooting imaginary webs around the house and "saving the day". However, he also can recite beautifully about 20 of the shorter surahs from Qur'an, Masha Allah, and he loves Allah above all else and is turning into a good Muslim, Insha Allah. I think the most rewarding thing about getting him into the true teachings of Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, at such an early age is his tremendous love for Allah, sense of justice for fellow human-beings regardless of colour of skin or physical strength.

Back to magic though.... magic is still practised in what is considered much of the "Muslim" world. It is well known in North Africa, for example, that a spouse might visit the whammy doctor to put a spell on their wife/husband, so that they can manipulate them. However, if the victim is sincere in faith and worship of Allah and recites Surah Al Falaq as often as possible, surely this type of despicable black magic should not work. Whenever I am around anything negative or an envious vibe, I am saying in my head.... aoothu billahi meena shaytani arrajim.... I seek refuge in Allah from Satan.... it is easy for a revert like me to say these words and Allah will protect you.

warda A

Sister
I think..........

I have read those arguments, every one made, sorry am getting off point, what i meant to say is that, the more we expose children and adult alike to such kind of things , they will accept them later on as normal things, they might not see that it could be harmful.
It is all a matter of exposure, the more you see something the more you accept it, like all the evil things happening now, we practically think they are normal or ok, saying as long as they aren't harmful they are ok.
most people do not know the power of books or tv.
I can personally tell you, there was a book (my family are book readers) an omnibus actually called belgariad (about magicians and witches and all that fantasy stuff, good fighting evil), we all read it , to tell you we could not get enough of it, we just got pulled, you know when you really feel i want to read that book, mark you, we had read it a dozen times.

and still we wanted to read it again and again.