Sorry, rather lengthy

Umm3mar

Salamo Aleikom

About myself: Reverted to Islam 5 years ago. (2 months before 9-11). Same day I reverted began hijab.

Married 1.5 years ago.

About reverting:

Read Autobiography of Malcolm X. I figured, if a man can go from being a drug dealer to respected community leader (although misguided), then find the true Islam. If Allah can do all this for this man, surely he could elevate me from the situation I was in.

After reading Malcolm X I wanted to learn more about Islam. Bought an English translation of "Koran" (Penguin press edition). Despite less than ideal translation, the general idea came through, and had an overwhelming urge to learn more and become Muslim. Tried calling phone book of Arab sounding names.

Called numbers in phone book "Hello, are you Muslim?". First few calls the person hung up. In retrospect, the person on the other line probably thought I was calling to harass him/her. Finally, a gentleman responded "Yes, I am, how may I help you?"

An outpour of emotions to a complete stranger...."Please, I want to be Muslim, can't you help me? Don't hang up, I swear, I'm not crazy!"

Subhan'allah, the man on the other line was an Imam for a local prison. His main job description is teaching inmates about Islam. Allah SWT guided me to the person most suitable for helping me. He had all the basic info on Islam.

Two days later after reading about 5 pillars, got a phone call from local dentist office, (had filled out application 2 months earlier on a whim while waiting for an appointment). I figured this must be a sign. Gave my current employer 48 hours notice and accepted the job. Was introduced to dentists who, coincidentally were Muslim. Spoke to one of them about arranging for shahadah in masjid. A week later took shahadah at salatul juma3.

Since then have had many ups and downs.Alhamdu'lillah, the ups greater than downs. The rest of my life story I'll save for another day, insha'allah:hijabi:

Jazak'allakhyran for your kind attention.

Salamo aleikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum.

subhanallah sis, that was a very nice story.

Mashallah...

may Allah reward you for all your hardships. Ameen. :)

Welcome to the website sister.

Wassalam.

Noor to shine

:salam2:
Dear sister AlahamduliAllah for your guidance ...may Allah swt keep faith firm in our hearts till we meet him. Amen
Your story moved my heart and filled my eyes with tears seeing the mercy of Allah how he lighten the heart of his servants in a blessed way . I was born muslem.....i live in Saudi Arabia : I wish you all peace and happiness sister.
Noor
:salah:

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Masha Allaah! Allaah swt has truly guided you and it's so evident in your story. I liked the story of you calling random numbers of Muslim names hehehe. May Allaah swt bless you more ameen.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Jazakallah khair sister for sharing your story with us. It helps in strengthening of our iman and renewing our belief on allah and his deen.
It shows how Allah (swt) facilitates hidaya for those who are seeking the truth, that is, Allah (swt).
Wassalam

duran

WOW mASHA aLLAH...I loooove that story:)

Sister Allah guided u and all of us...Alhamdulilaah

anyway...Welcome...

Kayote

:salam2:

SubhanAllah. I loved your intro. Thankyou for sharing with us.

Allah (SHW) helps us all those who truly seek him. Malcolm X was truly a man out to search for the truth & its amazing how much 'sawab' he must be earning by setting an example for us all, Insha'Allah.

Yes as you say, there are ups and downs in this life, as long as donot turn away from Allah (SHW), we will be the victorious ones Insha'Allah.

I really loved your way of searching for muslims, it definitely worked for you. :D

:wasalam:

qumer

Asslam o Alaikum
Jazzak-Allah khair for sharing, I m a born muslim n really really respect n love for people who convert to Islam. :)

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
:salam2: Sister,

Welcome to Turn to Islam and thank you for sharing your story. Since I've been a member of TTI many converts have shared their stories and time after time it is still inspiring to hear and your's is no exception. I hope you find your time here beneficial and enjoyable

:wasalam:

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
masAllah respected sister in islam

May Allah bless you and guide u which is best in this life and in the life Hereafter.

:salah: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child:

urs bro in islam
jav

haris

Patience
aslam oalikum

SubhanAllah very inspiring journey u have gone through.
May Allah guide us to his mercy

Wsalam

faiz_fauzi

Assalamualaikum!

Alhamdulillah!May Allah bless u and love u n guide u my sister.I envy u.WHY?Because i was born muslim.Allah had put me straight away in a muslim family.But i never appreciate it.I was a bad muslim never perform prayers do alot and lots of bad things.SIN is me.ME = SIN.Then one day HE took away something that i loved most.Then i began thinking and thinking and cryin and cryin like crazy.Then i realize that i have to turn back home.Back 2 the beginning i started praying, studying islam, read the HOLY QURAN and every time i read it i will start cryin.N frankly speaking i was cryin every time i perform my prayers.Then i find the tru spirit,the tru faith,the tru light, reading quran was like a miracle 2 me.Eventhough i dont understand it but the miracle of quran it can make u cooler,it can give peace 2 ur heart,it can make u cry and it can make u smile.It is hard 2 explain.I start attending prayers at the "masjid".Start attending classes and i learn more and more bout ISLAM my very own ISLAM.The more i learn the more i dont know.Thats the beautiful bout ISLAM.I was like neverending learning and studying.Thats why i envy u.Because as u can see a lot of born muslim in this world never appreciated it.They never see the beautiful of islam.They even offended our own prophet MUHAMMAD S.A.W."NAUZUBILLAH".But all of the converts and new muslim they find the truth themselves through their own findings and searching and no one help them except ALLAH S.W.T.So when they find islam MASHALLAH their faith is stronger and clearer then us. They embrace islam truly and entirely.And im so sure eventhough somebody put a gun on their head just 2 make them turn back from being muslim they will not put away their syahadah.Im sure im very sure.AND thats the tru FAITH n nothing is stronger than that.RITE? so may ALLAH bless u and all he muslims.Maybe it is a little bit long but anyway thanks for reading and sharing.Sharing is good rite?

Assalamualikum!

Umm3mar

Jazak'Allakhyran to all of you. You truly make me feel welcome.

In the begining, upon first reverting, I was a bit jealous of those whe were born Muslim because they already had the basic knowledge of Islam, the knowledge that I desperately wanted. Like a fasting person at iftar time, I felt I couldn't learn enough. Now, I realize, step by step, gradually I have "caught up" and I am contented in the speed in which I am still learning.

I do realize now that I (as well as all others who come back to Islam) that we are the lucky ones. May Allah Subhana'wa'ta'allah continue to guide us on the true path.

Your very contented sister in Islam

Umm 3mar

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam,

Amazing story, it made me laugh mashaAllah,

I read Malcolm X's biography when i was quite young, just around nine years old. It was my brother's book and I liked it a lot.

Its a bit risky going through phone books though! would not recommend it, best to learn about ISlam from Muslims who actually care and practise their Religion properly based on Quran and Sunnah. But, alhamdulillah, this was what Allah had planned for you and mashaAllah he guided you to Islam.

May Allah help you and increase you in goodness and happiness each day, and may he reward all of us with Jannatul Firdaus.

Wasalam

Umm3mar

:salam2: Very interesting. Just out of curiousity.... what muslim names did you look up? lol..

Because I was anxious and in a hurry, (and a little bit lazy) I began with the first name I could find in the directory Abdallah. Found 4 different listings by the name.

I read in the Penguin press book (that book does not deserve to be called Qur'an) that Muslims pray 5x daily, at dawn, so, figuring, if I call at dawn, surely if they were a good Muslim, they would be awake b/c they needed to pray OOOOPS:shymuslima1:

The first 3 hung up on me, but Brother #4, the Imam, I was just catching him on the way out the door to go to work.

Subhan'allah

Azra

Waalaikumsalam warahmatullah hiwabarakatuh Ukthi,

Welcome to TTI. MasyaAllah, that is a beautiful story and I shed a few tears as I was reading it.

Jazakallahu khayran for sharing a truly inspirational story with us.

Wassalam.