can we dye our hair?

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
:salam2: brothers and sisters...
well, i had a doubt that ' can we dye our hair '...well, as you all know my mothers condition( mentally, and physically ill)..my mother needs a change, which we have to make her change, but she does not want to..so 1 of my friend said, that' sometimes what you do, you have to tell even your mom to do'..i have tried many things , but i could not get the answer,...but this time i think this will work ' i am gonna dye my hair, and then tell my mother to dye her hair' . i guess she will agree, so i just wanted to know 'can we dye our hair not'..if not why?...and if its really prohibited, then i guess i cant do anything...well, plz answer (inshallah). Allah will reward you

muslimah_mtl

AlhamduliLlah
:salam2: brothers and sisters...
well, i had a doubt that ' can we dye our hair '...well, as you all know my mothers condition( mentally, and physically ill)..my mother needs a change, which we have to make her change, but she does not want to..so 1 of my friend said, that' sometimes what you do, you have to tell even your mom to do'..i have tried many things , but i could not get the answer,...but this time i think this will work ' i am gonna dye my hair, and then tell my mother to dye her hair' . i guess she will agree, so i just wanted to know 'can we dye our hair not'..if not why?...and if its really prohibited, then i guess i cant do anything...well, plz answer (inshallah). Allah will reward you

Wa alaykumu salaam wa rahmatuLlah :)

I hope this helps inshaAllah :

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning things other than acts of worship is that they are permissible. Based on this it is permissible for a woman to dye her hair if she wishes, unless it is black dye that is used to conceal grey hairs, which is not permitted because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined changing grey hair but he said “avoid black”; or if this dye is something that is used only by kaafir women such that if this woman was seen, people would say that she is a kaafir woman, because no one uses this dye except kaafir women. In that case, it is haraam for a woman to dye her hair with it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” If the dye is free from these two elements, i.e., black to cover grey hairs and dye that is used only by kaafir women, then the basic principle is that it is permissible, so the woman may dye her hair if she wishes. End quote.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

wa :salam2: :)

al-hakim

Wa alaykumu salaam wa rahmatuLlah :)

I hope this helps inshaAllah :

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning things other than acts of worship is that they are permissible. Based on this it is permissible for a woman to dye her hair if she wishes, unless it is black dye that is used to conceal grey hairs, which is not permitted because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined changing grey hair but he said “avoid black”; or if this dye is something that is used only by kaafir women such that if this woman was seen, people would say that she is a kaafir woman, because no one uses this dye except kaafir women. In that case, it is haraam for a woman to dye her hair with it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” If the dye is free from these two elements, i.e., black to cover grey hairs and dye that is used only by kaafir women, then the basic principle is that it is permissible, so the woman may dye her hair if she wishes. End quote.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

wa :salam2: :)

assalamualaikum sister,
i want to ask you a question regarding to the black dye,is it only women that cannot use black dye or is it also applied to men?this is because my situation is slightly different,i'm a man,some part of my hair are black in color and the other parts are brown,same thing to my side burn & my beard.so to avoid drawing attention in college about my hair,side burn & beard,i dye them all in black color because most of the people in my place have black hairs & beards.is it permissable?wassalam.