Arrogance, An Evil Characteristic, By Shaykh Rabee'

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Shaykh Rabee' Ibn Haadi Al-Madkhalee said:

"Wage war against yourself from falling into arrogance. An evil characteristic, leading one to disbelief, belittlement of people and rejecting the truth. This is why the wise one (Luqmaan) advised his son not to turn his face away from men, full of pride. This, so that he doesn't become arrogant towards people.

A person speaks to you while you are haughty turning away from him. Humble yourself. You are a poor person, weak, created from earth, created from a sperm that is of little value, you excrete and go to the toilet many times every day, how can you be arrogant?!

How can you be arrogant towards people while you are in this state? Who are you (to be arrogant)? Then, if a thorn pierces you, you cry because of it, (so) how can you be arrogant towards people?

It is obligatory upon the person to degrade himself if his soul becomes arrogant, haughty and he should remind it of how worthless and lowly it is and that from the most degraded of people are the arrogant ones.

By Allaah, I myself do not look down upon anyone except the arrogant one and (the) liars. By Allaah, I may see the weakest of people and say he is better than me. And I see the arrogant, proud one and he may be whatever level (he has reached), by Allaah, he is the most insignificant of people and most despicable of people to me. There isn't anyone lowlier than an arrogant person and no one becomes arrogant except from a despicable trait and degraded character and soul."​

[Taken from the appendix of "15 Characteristics Of The Slaves Of The Most Merciful" Pp. 48-49]

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please be so kind as to post the other 14 characteristics.

Please also be so kind as to tell me the correct way of responding to the posts without offending you. I simply wish to learn and your posts are beneficial.

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Wassalaamu 'alaykum,

1) the 15 characteristics are those mentioned in surah furqaan (Ch. 25), verses 63 onwards, i think till verse 77 or something....

2) Sister in all honesty, ur too kind. Im a brother not a sister. For example, when i go to the masjid, i punch my friend on the arm and then say "assalaamu 'alaykum how u doing?", and sometimes he punches me first. If one of us is sitting down, the other one kicks him, or gets him in a headlock and we start fighting... we're guys, we're not used to kindness which women do amongst themselves. So by u saying words like ''please'', "kindly", "brother" etc, these r very soft and kind words. I'm not used to ppl talking like this to me, and if it comes from a female, its a fitnah. We brothers tend to be more rough with one another, last time my friend snapped my knee while we were 'play fighting'. I've kinda broken my friends ribs, we've given each other so many bruises and scars its unimaginable. After we fight, we're just laying on the floor bcz we cant move due to pain, and once we're up on our feet, we go to the masjid wudhoo place and look at the scars/cuts we gave each other. Anyways, so yh, sister, ur way to kind. Plz just b brief and to the point, jzk...

strive-may-i

Wassalaamu 'alaykum,

1) the 15 characteristics are those mentioned in surah furqaan (Ch. 25), verses 63 onwards, i think till verse 77 or something....

2) Sister in all honesty, ur too kind. Im a brother not a sister. For example, when i go to the masjid, i punch my friend on the arm and then say "assalaamu 'alaykum how u doing?", and sometimes he punches me first. If one of us is sitting down, the other one kicks him, or gets him in a headlock and we start fighting... we're guys, we're not used to kindness which women do amongst themselves. So by u saying words like ''please'', "kindly", "brother" etc, these r very soft and kind words. I'm not used to ppl talking like this to me, and if it comes from a female, its a fitnah. We brothers tend to be more rough with one another, last time my friend snapped my knee while we were 'play fighting'. I've kinda broken my friends ribs, we've given each other so many bruises and scars its unimaginable. After we fight, we're just laying on the floor bcz we cant move due to pain, and once we're up on our feet, we go to the masjid wudhoo place and look at the scars/cuts we gave each other. Anyways, so yh, sister, ur way to kind. Plz just b brief and to the point, jzk...

:salam2:
Next time you feel like punching, try the wall, spare your friend, that way your hands will become stronger, and you will reduce the fitnah. Take this as a good advice. No am not going to back up with Hadees :)

Hatty

Thanks for the post brother....May Allah save us from being arrogant and ignorant, Ameen...

Wannabemuslim

Arrogance is something that is in everyone, so i cant really 'hate' arrogant people, as im arrogant my self. But at the same time, the people who always think there right, constantly about them selves and there "knowledge", and putting down other people, annoy me. But most people i know that act like that had bad child hoods.

And example is my step dad. Talking 24/7, about stuff he dosnt even know, but uses long sentences to make it sound like he knows every thing. giving my mom information on what she does in her own feild of work. Asking docters if they know about some irrevelent minor thing that most people dont know, that one learns in colledge. And Hes a christian, but has infinate knowledge on islam, he even "quotes" the quran, i remember i got my greatest lesson from him in islam when he was talking about how alchol and pork are good for me. Ending the lecture with "but you cant eat it beacuse 'thou shout not touch unpure thing'".

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
:salam2:
Next time you feel like punching, try the wall, spare your friend, that way your hands will become stronger, and you will reduce the fitnah. Take this as a good advice. No am not going to back up with Hadees :)

lol, its not like i have a desire or an urge to punch something... its just that this is the way we brothers interact with one another...