20 Ways to Spot Showing Off (Ar-Riyaa)

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
:salam2:

20 Ways to Spot Showing Off (Ar-Riyaa)

1. Publicising One’s good deeds:

“Actually I cannot stay up in prayer at night more than 2 hours.”

2. Making False Claims:

A person claiming something he never did.

3. Becoming a show off having been sincere

Does a deed for the sake of Allah, then he realises people notice, then causes him to do even more.

4. Abandoning deeds because of the people

Abandoning deeds because of the people is showing off (Al-Fudayl)

5. Making worship noticeable in a subtle way

When food is presented he says: “Today is Thursday” to imply that he always fasts on Thursdays.

6. Conspicuous humility

Saying how he does no good works and his deeds are not enough to make a display of his humility

7. Bringing attention to the faults of others

“I never saw such and such fast a day in his life.” Translation: “I fast a lot”

8. Safeguarding one’s status and reputation

He makes sure to keep pace with others or to outdo them in good works to earn respect.

9. Speaking about matters in a way that alludes to the idea that one is engaged in them,

“Some people think that fasting is tiring and difficult.” Translation: “I am in the habit of fasting.”

10. Putting oneself on a pedestal

Talk deeply on a topic so that people will point to him and call him a scholar

11. Refuting the people of knowledge

A person may be incited by Satan to speak badly about the people of knowledge or refute them.

12. Seeking knowledge to acquire fame

The purpose of acquiring knowledge is to be known as a ‘Sheikh’.

13. Feeling humility.

When people make their humbleness visible, they are just making a visible display of hypocrisy.

14. Overemphasising certain conspicuous works, even to the point of going against the sunnah.

Talking about the experiences in jihad, mentioning the things saw and did to the point of lying.

15. Making a show of religious zeal

“I am righteously indignant when it comes to my Lord and the prophet (peace be upon him)”

16. Conspicuously neglecting one’s outward appearance

Go about with dishevelled hair and humble attire and make an ostentatious display of asceticism.

17. Making a display of lowering ones gaze.

Make a big show of it. Such behaviour is pretentious.

18. Abandoning one’s worship from fear of falling into hypocrisy

Satan convinces you that it is not fitting to do outwardly good deeds while sinning inwardly.

19. Withdrawing from the company of others and going into seclusion.

Turn away from the company of fellow men thinking that he is better than hem.

20. Being deceived by some fleeting act of devotion.

Think that some singular act of devotion as shedding pious tears is good enough to suffice him.

The prophet salallahu alaihi wa sallam said: “He who lets the people hear of his good deeds intentionally, to win their praise, Allah will let the people know his real intention (on the Day of Resurrection). And he who does good things in public to show off and win the praise of the people, Allah will disclose his real intention (and humiliate him). [Sahih ul Bukhari]

Ashima33

Salaam,

This thread is very humbling. I think whether we are conscious of it or not, we all fall into these things at times and that's why I think this is humbling... we all struggle.

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty

:salam2: sister,
JazzakAllahu khair for the informative post. :)

May Allah protect us from riya, and help us make our intention for good deeds solely for Allah. Ameen.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him said:
"Verily, deeds are rewarded by intention. And everyone will have the reward for that which he has intended."
[Sahih Al-Bukhari]

mrshazzi786

Allah hu Akhbar this is very enlightening indeed! Makes you think about to the masjid you attend regulary for namaaz and makes you think what sort of people there are that show off... makes me go mad when i see people showing off! makes me think what are you getting out of it?

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'alaikum asalaam warahmatullah,

JazakumAllahu khairan for a great thread, may Allah guide us to be good Muslims who do not show off. Ameen.

pcozzy

:salam2:

The Meaning of Ar-Riyaa`

Riyaa` is defined as the performance of a deed with the intention of pleasing other than Allah . The difference between riyaa` and sum'ah (sometimes confused in the minds of some), is that while riyaa` is done in order to show off in front of people (such as ostentatiously giving charity or praying), the latter involves the performance of good deeds in order to be heard (such as mentioning Allah or reciting the Qur'an in a loud voice etc.) - both with the same intention: To favourably impress people.

-----------------------------------------------------------

From Abu Sa’eed al-Khudhriyy (radhiyAllaahu ‘anhu) that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said:

“Shall I not inform you of what I fear most for you than al-maseeh ad- dajjaal ?” They said, “Yes O Messenger of Allah! ” He said, “ Hidden shirk (riyaa). A man stands to pray, so he beautifies his prayer when he notices someone looking at him.”

Ibn Maajah, al-Bayhaqee, Saheeh al-Jaami' (No. 2607)

--------------------------------------------------
A solution I read but can't remember, maybe in ibn Qayyim(ra) fawaid, but someone who is praying and starts to feel like he is showing off. This is the whispering of satan, and he or she should lengthen their sujood to counter the whispering.

Here is an article that describes the minor shirk involved in ar-riyaa and suma'ah:
http://abdurrahman.org/tawheed/minorshirk-calltoislam.pdf

:jazaak:

About lengthening the act of worship I found reference to it in chapter 7 "Differing from satan" of http://abdurrahman.org/faith/theworldofthejinn-ashqar.pdf and I am almost sure I read it in ibn tamiyyah or ibn qayyim rihimhum allah, writings.

:wasalam:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
JazakaAllah khairan for sharing,

It sure is a reminder & a way to SPOT our OWN weakness & thus correct ourselves for Allah's sake! May Allah help us stay away from RIYYA & do all the deeds for HIM ALONE.ameen

ummu thany

sister in islam
Subahanallah. May Allah (SWT) protect all of us from Ar.Riyaa, except our good deeds and for give all of our sins. Ameen.