=(

Shannonx

Asalamu alaikum
First of all, Eid mubarak everyone!
I've been thinking a lot lately about when i'm going to tell parents i'm a Muslim. Now I just don't know anymore. The local news here in Lancaster was interviewing Muslims for Eid. Asking what Eid is, what Muslim's believe. My mom was in the kitchen and so was my dad. I think it was the imam who was explaining Islam and my mom goes "Yeah, stop forcing your religion down our throats and go back to Saudi Arabia. We can care less what you believe." He also said Muslims believe in one God, and my dad was like "Yeah...Allah...." and starting laughing. My dad thinks Allah is a whole different type of God, he has no idea Allah is Arabic for God. Well, my dad brings up "Abraham sacrificed his son, now you know where Muslims get the idea of putting a bomb on their children and blow them up." That just disgusted me. I was literally shaking. I wanted to say something so bad, but I knew it would turn into arguing. I'm being patient, but I just don't what to do. It just feels like this makes it a lot more harder. I feel like my parents feel hatred and disgust towards Muslims and I don't want them to feel like that about me. I know a lot more people faced worse than me. Is it ridiculous that I want to cry because my parents said this? :(

Anyways, they showed the masjid and there was a lot of Muslims there. Makes me wish I would of gone.
Wa alaikum asalam

palestine

Servant of Allah
salam. it isn't ridiculous that you want to cry, because you are going through so much. and knowing that your parents could hate you because of your new faith is startling. you don't have to tell them yet, but if your heart tells you than do so sister. inshaAllah Allah will help you. maybe you could even help them understand who Allah is. it's sad that they think it's a joke.

arabiantxn

I understand what you are going thru. You have to realize your parents are ignorant about Islam and are bigot about Islam. Point is your parents are ignorant don’t be hard on them and don’t take it hard on your self sis just realax out. Now what you can do as their child is try to influence their thinking by talking about the good things that are going on done by Muslims. For example you can say something you saw or something you read about in newspaper about islam or muslims.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Assalamu aleekoom Shannon

Your parents are simply mis-informed and this is actually easy to fix (insha'Allah). I would not be surprised if they have these misconceptions provided the daily media hammering. Please dont be disheartened. There are things you can do about it ..

1. pray to Allah to guide them.
2. if such a discussion comes up, you can politely say that this is wrong and have a good documentary ready to show them.
3. tell them that contrary to what the media shows, Christians in muslim countries count in the millions and have existed for the last 1400 years. The oldest churches in the world are in the middle east, a muslim majority area. These are just facts that are alive and undeniable.
4. introduce them to your muslim friend(s)

I guess some of our convert brothers and sisters might be better positioned to advice you about it.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Asalamu alaikum
I've been thinking a lot lately about when i'm going to tell parents i'm a Muslim. Now I just don't know anymore. The local news here in Lancaster was interviewing Muslims for Eid. Asking what Eid is, what Muslim's believe. My mom was in the kitchen and so was my dad. I think it was the imam who was explaining Islam and my mom goes "Yeah, stop forcing your religion down our throats and go back to Saudi Arabia. We can care less what you believe." He also said Muslims believe in one God, and my dad was like "Yeah...Allah...." and starting laughing. My dad thinks Allah is a whole different type of God, he has no idea Allah is Arabic for God. Well, my dad brings up "Abraham sacrificed his son, now you know where Muslims get the idea of putting a bomb on their children and blow them up." That just disgusted me. I was literally shaking. I wanted to say something so bad, but I knew it would turn into arguing. I'm being patient, but I just don't what to do. It just feels like this makes it a lot more harder. I feel like my parents feel hatred and disgust towards Muslims and I don't want them to feel like that about me. I know a lot more people faced worse than me. Is it ridiculous that I want to cry because my parents said this? :(

Anyways, they showed the masjid and there was a lot of Muslims there. Makes me wish I would of gone.
Wa alaikum asalam

that bit in red..is what I applaud you for..it takes *a lot* to be patient facing things of the nature you talked about..that's a *strength* in character that many lack!..take full advantage of it sister!
brother optimist's post is wonderful..I 2nd what he recommended..
and you can begin to correct your parents by talking about prejudice and/or discrimination in general!..even if you're not muslim..when you witness prejudice or discrimination you're supposed to correct the matter..
and sister..what makes you think that crying is ridiculous?..you're overcome with emotion..you're human and have a heart full of concern over something you love very much..how is that ridiculous?
it's all good!..
like I said..begin by correcting their views and opinions by speaking of prejudice and discrimination (generally)..and then get more and more specific as time goes on..
never-ever losing what I highlighted in red for you :)
and I *know* you can do it..and inshallah one day you'll post a thread about you telling your folks about your reversion and it will be clear of any disappointment!
I'll talk to you soon inshallah!
take very good care of yourself..and have a happy happy happy and blessed Eid! :D

wa alaikum assalam

Asalamu alaikum

Wa alaikum asalam

Salaam,

A clear cut example of being spoon fed by the media, but a perfect opportunity to explain what Eid al Adha is and what is NOT (blowing up):astag: Explain to them that there are good and bad people in every faith, but you can not hold ALL of them accountable for the actions of a few bad apples in the tree (although this is a Christian mentality of the concept of original sin). Ask them what do you REALLY know about Islam.

This is FYI- Christians believe that Abraham (pbuh) sacrificed Isaac (pbuh) to God, but Muslims, Jews, & the Bahá'í faith believe it was Ishmael (pbuh).

isabelelsherif

first i would like to say i am sorry you are going thru this, i have first hand experience of how it feels, my parents are very upset with me because i have married a muslim man and i cant even imagine telling them i will take my shahadah in january i really think they will disown me at that point. It is very hard i am a only child and they are my only family, they only listen to whats in the media, and no matter how i try to explain to them, they dont believe me because they say i am making it up to protect my husband. have patience, dont lose them, let them comment as much as they want .continue on the right path. Allah will reward you with his goodness.

good luck

:tti_sister:

first i would like to say i am sorry you are going thru this, i have first hand experience of how it feels, my parents are very upset with me because i have married a muslim man and i cant even imagine telling them i will take my shahadah in january i really think they will disown me at that point. It is very hard i am a only child and they are my only family, they only listen to whats in the media, and no matter how i try to explain to them, they dont believe me because they say i am making it up to protect my husband. have patience, dont lose them, let them comment as much as they want .continue on the right path. Allah will reward you with his goodness.

good luck

:tti_sister:

Salaam,

I think we should always keep these verses in mind:

Truly, with hardship comes ease

(94:5-6)

Do not be faint of heart, and do not grieve; for you shell gain the upper hand if you are truly believers. If misfortune befalls you, a similar misfortune has befallen other people as well. Such days [of fortune and misfortune], We deal out in turn among men. God wants to mark out those who truly believe and choose from among you such as [with their lives] bear witness to the truth. God does not love the wrongdoers.

(3: 139-40)