50% of Faith

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:bismillah:

:salam2: Baraka Allah feekom for this important issue...

I believe that in todays society, many men are unable to promote equality. Husbands tend to get married behind without any specific needs that can determine the second wife. I am well aware that Allah (SWT) gave the man the right to marry 1,2,3,4. I believe that men always find excuses of getting married to the second, third, or forth wife or if there is non, then they'll make one. I am talking about a reality that I've seen and lived. Many men think that they will ensure equality between both families, but they only think of this matter economically, and they ditched the emotional right of the wife and the importance of the present father and mother on regular basis specially for childern from the age of 12 to 20 years of age (the child builds his/her character in between those years, with strong emotional background, he strive to success in this life, Allah (SWT) knows best).

How sweet are mothers?, when they are faced with such issue, all she cares about is the success of her childern educationally, emotionally, and not herself despite the emotional hardship that she is going through.

In todays society, 99% of the problems that many youngesters face (drugs, fornications, psychological problems, delayed marriages in many cases are resulted by the absence of fathers (if they are muslims), or no father presence in the first place. Fathers are basically negleting major rules in islam whether they have islamic knowledge or not, and the best way to avoid Allah's anger is to understand the Sharia law from (Qur'an and Sunnah)

( I am not referring to every father)

(Never sleep the night as an oppressor, but you rather sleep the night as an oppressed)

:wasalam:

Wulf

A'salaamu 'aleikom Mirajmom.

I can see where you are coming from.

Many years ago, during my time of religious study and retreat, I tried to discover what it is that has, over the millenia, caused a breaking away from the Christian and Judaic religious pursuasions.

After some time I came to a conclusion it was the "deviations" from the original messages.
What constitutes these deviations and what are the causes?
Quite simply I believe it was the practice of believers to only accept those parts of the Scriptures and Torah, that suited them. A kind of convenient religion, saying, "I don't like that passage so I will leave it out of my faith." and 'Ahh, that's a good one, I don't have to work too hard, so I'll keep it".

When I read posts like this one, I wonder, is this what is happening to Islam?

If the Qur'an is the perfection of the religion of the Prophet (sullahi allahi w'salaam), as handed down by the will of Allah (subhanna wa ta'ala), one must assume that what is written must be followed perfectly, albeit to the best of our ability.
This means, to me anyway, that to be a Muslim, a member of the Family of Islam, one should follow all of the rules, not just those rules that are siutable expediencies, just because it's convenient at the time. A bit like "I won't obey that one, I can always apologise later". One needs to undrstand that, if Allah (subhanna wa Ta'ala) is perfect and omnipotent, he got it right the first time around and therefore, has not suddenly changed His mind over the last 1400 odd years.

The exhortation to do things "For the Love of Allah" (subhanna wa ta'ala) seems to be fading into the mists of time.
Okay, when it comes to marriage, there are certain elements of suitability involved that needs to taken into consideration. And as for Poliginy? The Qur'an is very precise in Allah's, (subhanna wa ta'ala,)guidelines for multiple wives. The main consideration being the harmony of the family that second wives may bring and contribute. And of course the intentions of the Husband.

I am not perfect, I just read all that I can, as most answers to my questions can be found in the Holy Qur'an, or in the authentic Hadeeth of Muslim and Bukhari.. I may not be a scholar, but attending regular lectures on Sharia, have helped me to a better knowledge. besides last time I was on thie site i had no Qur'an, I now have two in three languages.

So, should I obey the rules without question? The answer is obvious, YES! I should, because to accept islam is to accept ALL of the Qur'an. The prophet Muhammad (saws) is the seal of the prophets and His religion is the perfect religion. So who am I to change things. Or for that matter, anyone else.
I just fear that Islam in the west could become just a clone of the real thing, due to the corruption that is introducing habits fom other faiths.

I am interested in hearing others thoughts on this as well. But in saying that, I do not argue about God. So should someone be less than polite, I refer to my signature below.

W'asalaamu rahamatullah.

Ibrahim

Aapa

Mirajmom
Walaikum Salaam Brother Ibrahim,

Thank-you. Now I can break it down.
I am attempting to persude Muslims that Islam provides provisions for us to help keep the ummath strong and united. I am speaking for the multitude of sisters who find themselves in needy positions. Islam has given men an authority over worldy affairs. If they open thier hearts they can provide for many, as the blessings of Allah subhana talla, flow when we open our hearts.
If a man decides he can only provide for one wife so be it...however, there needs to be an increase in his zakat, for the sake of the women and children who are in need.
Our ummath is in need. This is the time for Muslims to take action. I pray this is not verbocity on my part but a look at the" for real, for real".

You are correct we can not take bits and pieces of what we favor. It is the real deal. We can not take our words lightly. Brother, if you had asked me to voice my opinion on polygamy two years ago I would have been the first to scream out against it. However, as my faith increases and my Trust has been given into the hands of Allah subhana talla, my vision became clear.

Am I wrong to understand that a husband has rights over his wife? Am I wrong that sometimes a man's appetite is larger and needs more variety? Is it not better to save a man from the mistress/girlfriend/side dish? And by marrying another does he not save the honor of two women?

In non-Islamic cultures it is ok to cheat. If there is a pregnacny the man does not need to support the child, the state takes care of it. But, that is not the reason we need to advocate mutliple marriages today.

Forgive me.

Your aapa,
mehnaz

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:bismillah:

:salam2:

WHAT IS THE LEGAL STATUS OF POLYGAMY IN ISLAM?

The verse which allows polygamy “was revealed after the battle of Uhud in which many Muslims were killed, leaving widows and orphans for whom due care was incumbent upon the Muslim survivors.(Abd Al-Ati, Hammuda, Islam in Focus, The Canadian Islamic center, Edmonton Alberta, Canada, 1963, p.103.)

The translation of the verse is as follows:

If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them), then (marry) only one…. (Qur’an 4:3)

From this verse a number of facts are evident:

That polygamy is neither mandatory, nor encouraged, but merely permitted. That the permission to practice polygamy is not associated with mere satisfaction of passion. It is rather associated with compassion toward widows and orphans, a matter that is confirmed by the atmosphere in which the verse was revealed.

That even in such a situation, the permission is far more restricted than the normal practice which existed among the Arabs and other people at that time when many married as many as ten or more wives.
That dealing justly with one’s wives is an obligation. This applies to housing, food, clothing, kind treatment..etc., for which the husband is fully responsible. If one is not sure of being able to deal justly with them, the Quran say: “then(marry) only one.” (Qur’an 4:3)
This verse, when combined with another verse in the same chapter, shows some discouragement of such plural marriages. The other verse plainly states:

You are never able to be fair and just as between women even if it is your ardent desire…” (Qur’an 4: 129)

The requirement of justice rules out the fantasy that man can “own as any as he pleases.” It also rules out the concept of “secondary wife,” for all wives have exactly the same status and are entitled to identical rights and claims over their husband. It also implies, according to the Islamic Law, that should the husband fail to provide enough support for any of his wives, she can go to the court and ask for a divorce.

The verse says “Marry,” not kidnap, buy, or seduce. What is “marriage” as understood in Islam? Marriage in Islam is a civil contract which is not valid unless both contracting parties consent to it. Thus no wife can be forced or “given” to a husband who is already married.
I is thus a free choice of both parties. As to the first wife:

She may be barren or ill and see in polygamy a better solution than divorce.
She may divorce him (unilaterally) if he is married to a second wife provided that the nuptial contract gives her the right of unilateral divorce (Ismah).
She can go to court and ask for a divorce if there is evidence of mistreatment or injustice inflicted upon her.
But if polygamy is discouraged and loaded with such constraints, could it have been better if the Quran simply forbade it? To answer this question, we may have to raise another one:

4. CAN POLYGAMY BE A BETTER SOLUTION IN SOME CASES?

Scholars in the past and at present, Muslims and non-Muslims, have consistently pointed out such cases. The following are a few examples which are tied in with the general approach of Islam to individual and social problems.

Individual cases:
1. A man who discovers that his wife is barren, and who at the same time instinctively aspires to have children and heirs.

In a situation as this, the man would either have to:

-Suffer the deprivation of fatherhood for life.

-Divorce his barren wife and get married to another woman who is not barren.

In many cases, neither solution can be considered as the best alternative. Polygamy would have the advantage of preserving the martial relationship without depriving the man of fathering children of his own.

2. A man whose wife becomes chronically ill would have one of possible alternatives:

-He may suppress his instinctive sexual needs for the rest of his life.

-He may divorce his sick wife at the time when she needs his compassion most, and get married to another woman, thus legally satisfying his instinctive needs.

-Or he could compromise by keeping his sick wife, and secretly take for himself one or more illicit sex partners.

Let us discuss these alternatives from the point of view of the Islamic teachings. The first solution is against human nature. Islam recognizes sex and sexual needs and provides for legitimate means for their satisfaction. The second solution is clearly less compassionate, especially where there is love between the two parties. Further more divorce is described by Prophet Muhammad (P) as the “permitted thing which is hated most by God.” The last solution is plainly against the Islamic teachings which forbid illicit sexual relations in any form.

To sum up, Islam being against immorality, hypocritical pretense of morality, and against divorce unless no better solution is available, provides for a better alternative which is consistent with human nature and with the preservation of pure and legitimate sex relationships. In a situation like this, it is doubtful that any solution would be better than polygamy, which is, after all, an optional solution.

b. Social cases

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
assalamu alaykum

Salaam,

BismillAllah, Ar-Rahman, Ir-Raheem,

It has come to my attention that many women who revert and marry Muslim men are having great difficulty in understanding polygamy. Let me start with the premise Allah has permitted polygamy. It is right given to a man to prevent him from committing adultery. A man may seek the consent of his wife before he marries. This is the honorable. It is also stated that if he can not be fair to his wife he should not marry another. Marriage in Islam is not about lust. Marriage is the backbone of community.
Marriage is 50% of faith.
Recently, I have read several blogs of reverts who are very upset about the issue of polygamy and are revealing their feelings on the internet. These women are shattered, jealous, heartbroken, lonely, and feel that their world has collapsed. They feel they have been wronged.
I will not be popular after many read this. Popularity is not my aim.
It seems that many women revert to marry a Muslim man. That is the major problem. One should only revert to save your soul. You revert to Islam for the sake of the love and fear of Allah subahana talla. You do not revert for the convince of marrying. Many who are not born Muslims enter a relationship with a western ideology of what marriage is. The preconceived notions of soul mate, everlasting love; you are my one and only are etched in their minds. As time passes and the marriage does not satisfy the needs of the wife she becomes disillusioned with the Muslim husband and blames Islam. He has not fulfilled her needs because he is a Muslim.
If he marries another the woman whines. She whines. She still remains ignorant of the fact that it is permitted. The ego takes over reason. Marriage is for the sake of religion. The perspectives that I have encountered on the blogs are selfish. My question thus becomes did you not educate yourself to Islam? These women have time to reveal their feelings and how they are “done wrong” to millions of readers. I say to these sisters:
You have food, you have shelter, you have money, your needs are fulfilled. Why not give back to the world. You have time to whine. Why not volunteer with an Islamic organization. There are many, many needs.
We Muslims need to hold classes before reverts marry Muslim men. The context of polygamy needs to be explained in detail as part of a system to propagate Islam. The beauty of the rational for polygamy needs to be addressed in detail. The wives of the Holy Prophet (swas) served as our role models. They were multinationals. Imagine the generosity of their natures when he (swas) married a young virgin. They did not whine. One even gave up her nights with her husband to please him. His presence was enough love for her. Sisters for the love of Islam let us drop our western false concepts and remain true to our faith.
We have wars being waged, children being tortured and sexually abused by soldiers, Muslim virgins being executed, women being widowed, orphans eating out of garbage heaps. Forgive me but quit your whining.

I never hear or saw any western woman revert to marry muslim guies and i wouldn't believe when i heared but i think it is cos lack of education. But sister you have to feel their pain especaily the first wifes pain to judge them and tell them not to whine about their lifes especially with the problems that are going on in the world but lest remeber we most of the time we can't do anything about those problems. And lets say those woman quite whining will it help the around reduces its problems? I am born muslims and i am more educated then revert muslims women and i know for a fact i wouldn't be OK with my husband marrying another woman and i am not married especially when i have children. I know Islam says man can do that as long as they keep it fairly But we are humans and sometimes fairness is not in our nature. So dear sister try to understand it from there prespective and i agree they should revert to save their souls. And you are still popular even though it is not your aim.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dear brother,

You missed my point. Let me try to further ellucidate what I am bringing up.
First of all it is the obligation of Muslims to take care of each other. I was not addressing individual options. Yes, should you want only one wife, you have an absoulte right. I was not even trying to address the needs of satisfying the sexual appetitie of men. What I am saying is wake up Muslims. We have a war that is being waged on Muslims. One way to help the victims of war is for men to muster up their courage, tighten up the belt strap and help the ummath by marrying the sisters who are in need. If you choose not to simply don't. Islam provides a soultion to help the social crisis.
There is no compulsion to marry more than one. There is no gun being held to anyone's head. It is one simple soultion whose benefits will lead to jannath.
It is simple because it protects the welfare of Muslims.
As for the sisters in need..I believe Allah provides. However, are these sisters not a trial for us. By recognizing their needs and addressing them are we not making the path easier for ourselves? My post was to help us understand that we have a choice of putting food into the mouths of babes who are in need by extending the family. I do not need to hear the reasons or excuses. I just listed a simple solution that has been sanctioned by Allah subhana talla.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dear Sister Nihm,

I was amazed to read the website stories. I was disturbed. However, I never feel sorry for people. I believe people have choices. These sisters were educated and found themselves in nightmares. Furthermore, Islam allows for divorce. These sisters were duped by arrogant men who mislead everyone including their own souls. There are legal avenues for the sisters.
Secondly, I started to think of the sisters who are the victims of social oppression and war. I am in the process, InshaAllah , of opening a community to take in sisters who are in need. But, I realized that Islam has a solution for times of crisis. Polygamy seemed to be the solution.
The phrases that stuck with me the most was: unless you want for your sister what you have for yourself. I can not enter the gates of jannah until my heart desires for all my sisters to have food, shelter, clothing, and a peace of mind.
Forgive me sister, but as a woman gets older, she is less greedy for her husband. One of the benefits of getting older is the total reliance on Allah subhana talla for everything. One facet of love that is often dismissed today is respect. A woman would allow her husband to take another wife not because she is in fear of losing him to another woman, but because she is so secure in his love for her. Love is beyond space and time.
Once again, I want to thank everyone for expressing their views. I think we all could use a dose of Islamic education. I pray to Allah that He in His Mercy forgive me.

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
:salam2: :hearts: Jazaka'Allah sister,well personnally I didn't revert because of my husband, i didnt knew at all.We were already muslims when we met each other. We've been married for 12 years know and I KNOW VERY WELL THAT ALLAH GAVE MEN THE RIGHT OF POLIGAMY5AND BELIEVE SISTER HAMDULILLAH I'VE LEaRNED my religion the best i could. The fact is that I would be unable to bear this kind of situation, I know that poligamy is usefull and lawfull, but I 'll personlly ask for divorce. Otherwise I think I will commit a murder.:)SMILY335: )I turn kind of mad when a beautifull girl walks around(hihih),well the fact is that during all this time, even if we had been trhough hard stuff I see him as the fother of my children and the men of my life so I don't want to(and I won't be able to)share him. As simple as that!!!:confused: Don't be sad on me dear sister, I love you for the sake of Allah but I don't think poligamy is an easier subject as you gave me the impression to wrote about.Fi Amanillah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I have no right to be sad or mad at anyone. Please forgive me. I am presenting another side of a sitution. I am not here to judge anyone as I know I, myself , have to face Allah.
I pray this has not been an excerise in futility. I am presenting a view within Islam.

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom, dear sister

Dearest sister, I totally agree with you. I just wanna add something. We should know that there are different levels of love. Sexual love, natural love, spiritual love and Godly love. Sexual love is the lowest, it is just like drinking the sea water; the more you drink, the more you'll get thirsty and you'll never feel satisfied because you are not only a physical body.

Natural love is directed to all aspects of beauty, but it is always threatened by familiarity and habituation. Spiritual love is a very high concept that cares only about the spiritual attributes and characterstics. It pures your heart from selfishness, greed and desire of possession. It widens your heart to contain the whole world making you willing to provide help and happiness to all human.

If a muslim woman understands that high concept of love, she wouldn't feel hurt if one of her sisters who is in bad need shares her some of her blessing and happiness. She would do this willingly to gain God's reward and to help her Muslim sister to survive. It is all a matter of self controlling, striving against selfishness, greed and desire of possession.

DOC_BRO

Asslamo Allaikum All,

The issue is not ploygany; it is proven from the Qur'aan.

The issue is HOW brothers are carrying it out!

AND

The subsequent hurt being cause by it to Sisters & young children

This is NOT the fault of Islam or Sunnah...

This is similar to female circumcision ; GENITAL mutilation is NOT female circumcision & it shouldn’t reflect on the Sunnah

Yes correct brother here has cut the long thing short and made a good remark .So its us muslims who let our religion down (by not following the sunna correctly) its not Islam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I am not a man. For those brothers who injure innoncent lives by abusing thier faith...I leave that to Allah subhana talla.
For the sisters who have been hurt...you must believe that Allah provides. We need to start a cousenling center ( even in cyberspace ) to help our sisters. I can assist in the US just PM me. There are websites for sisters only. We sisters just have to pull together to assist each other.

DOC_BRO

Asalam o Alaikum,
Dear sister Mirajmom MashaAllah u have a vast knowledge and ur explanation are very true and appropiate in ur replies n to the context. Infact u have really tried to open the eyes on this subject which muslims themselves consider (specially women) to be very controversial and keep out of this discussion except to just joke or make anecdotes which i do joke with my wife just to make her angry it seems. i think ur approach is very fair considering the present situations muslim world is going thru recently i read on islamonline.net tht some of the iraqi women teenaged girls also have to do some illecit things in order to make their living they have to dance at clubs in neighbouring countries. one interview was of a teenage girl she told that never in her life since she was 3-4 yrs old she had taken off her hijab or islamic clothing and revealed her skin to any stranger but she told wheeping into tears that she has to do the opposite, and infact i myself couldt read any further i felt so depressed,angry,frustrated,confused that i wanted to cry out loud. So when v consider abt our sisters in such scenarios and worst than this, it is really time we should think abt do v have part to play here??? ask our selves to find answers ... and tht is where one of the possible answer is marrying such women who r in desperate need. so instead of them ruining their lives in haram atleast this might give them some hope n security (when implied accordingly). Here is where i guess sister mirajmom wants her point to be understood and that totally depends on us muslims..
But sister let me tell u why polygamy issue is not so popular within muslims, women specially :
1)-first of all MEN: I totally agree that why most of the women fear even the thought of their husband marrying another women is because the way muslim men have portryed themselves, mostly those who have married twice or more have left such a bad example on others that it sure brings nightmares. Some marry without any understanding of what indeed sunna says about remarrying is. for them its like "oh we are allowed to have 4 wifes so this is just second for me". They dont have fairness with their wifes because if the 1st wife is older they dont pay her more attention. Once i had this discussion abt polygamy and I told this guy that its not that easy to marry more than one wife u have to be very fair if u buy apple make sure u give 4 differnt pieces of one apple to them, as all the apples might not have the same sweetness so being fair u have to give all of them the same regardless of numbers or preferences, so then he replied oh thats too tuff i rather buy apple juice and have them drink the same" so some ppl dont wanna learn or understand the basic behing that hence that has resulted in a negative feedback within women.
2) Secondly I think its fault of the society specially women. I have seen n heard lot of women gossiping abt some other person who married 2nd time and they are like "ohh u knw thts so bad he shouldnt have done that he already has 2 kids with the 1st and blah bla" specially in india and pakistan i am sure most of u from these places must have heard that. once i even intruded them to stop thinking it or mentioning as a sin i told tht its ok if he married may be his wife is also ok with it why do u have to worry or gossip its halal not haram. So in some cultures its considered a SIN regardless if they are practicing muslims but thts all not polygamy. So here women are also a cause of this misrepresentation. In urdu " a woman is an enemy of another woman" so its somewhat true ( sorry sisters i didnt wanna hurt u sorry) . But i have seen tolerance and acceptance of polygamy in arab women they do have some level of understanding compared to others.

3) Its parents who dont encourage their sons infact get angry if they decide to do so. I am telling my example when i was in med university i had decided that I will marry a widow from kashmir specially because of the situation there (sorry but the way kashmiri men are i really hate that n i think whats going there is because of the kufr and sins they commit). So by 2000 I was fully determined tht after my graduation in 2003 i will disclose this to my parents but in 2001 they had already convieved their plan.because i was studying abroad i couldnt talk to my parents n not think of talking as i didnt had any income to support of marry so i waited untill finally they told me their plans ofcourse they didnt force me never did they as they always trusted me and i also didnt wanted to break their trust so i once told my mother abt what i had thought she told that its a noble deed but she gave some reasons and asked me to think on them so after all i agreed to their values and dropped my decision. here i am not complaining abt parents but in some cases i see parents curse their chld that "better if he didnt had born to us" as one of our relative sharing my name aswell decided to marry a divorced sister with a 3-4yo daughter n his parents really cursed him initially but i was really happy to hear that and congratulate him. but parents n his relative tried to discourage him but eventually they got married this year Alhumdolilah around all the gossip ppl were doing but I am happy for the courage he took.

4) its wife :even though my wife is a practicing muslims she learns more n more everyday but when its abt this topic then hell breakout :( even if i just joke with her she ask;s me to change my sentence, she says that i knw all the hadith and ruling abt polygamy but sorry I cant share u i dont have a big heart and if u do so " i will kill u , her , myself if not mines no ones". Infact she will make sure i dont get any hoors she says, she will request and pray to allah that she be the only one in hereafter also( i tell her there wont be any jealosy thing in jannat it willbe free of all evil things). So its not my wife only but most of them are very jealous on this issues there is such a severy amount of HASAD so it really blinds the mind plus the negative impression presented by other men on polygamy so all tht winds up and turns to be a Rejected Sunna emotionaly,mentally,physically disconsidering the fact that is allowed Islamically.

5) I think its the ,initiative,courage,willingness,dedication,urgency and practice which muslim men lack including me and specially those who have the chance or are unmarried those who can afford to have more than one wifes those who are justful i think they have great responsibility. besides that those whom Allah has give wealth like our eunach Arab leaders who marry british or american girl who is half their age who is from the club dancers or who is a beautiful and wealty they will marry them when in their neighbourhood there are muslim women who go thru pain and suffering. Even if they cant marry them atleast provide shelter n security for them. But what to say ...

So i guess this is nice topic which sister very bravely discussed atleast i guess this will put a "vavasa" what we call in urdu, like kind of a guilt n make us rethink n revise our thoughts. And then someday there will be an awakening InshaAllah.
I knw my thoughts wont be considered much a i am a Man but I didnt put it from my point it was in general men n women. But if any of my words hurt someone, my apologies.

Last Ayah from surah Al-falak;
"And from the evil of the envious when he envies وَمِن شَرِّ حَاسِدٍ إِذَا حَسَدَ "

Ma'salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam Respected Brother,

I am not trying to make anyone feel any guilt. That is not my purpose. My purpose is to alert Muslims to the circumstances of others. We do not wish for our sisters to fornicate to put food on the table for their families. I just want us to understand to ensure a strong ummath we need to assist our sisters and brothers ourselves. We need to rely on each other and not let outside influences penentrate into Islam. These are some of the soical problems plaguing Islam and we need to address them internally to benefit the future of an Islamic way of life.
I thank you for taking the time for an honest and introspective answer.

meissarah

asaalam alaikum brothers and sisters,

this topic has always been a sensitive topic to many people. first, we are not living in the time of the prophet(pbuh). therefore, there is no need for having more than one wife. times have changed, situation, needs have changed. let the brothers, for a moment, take a step back think for a few minutes, if Islam allowed polyandry instead of polygamy. In your heart, let's be honest with ourselves; how would you feel about it. Would you accept the thought of another man having your wife. Do you think you can honestly answer that question? You can write it on paper for others to see, but in your heart, your soul, would you really be ok with it? Please do not say "if Allah permits it than it would be ok with me" you would not be answering honestly. When you truly love someone, it is unthinkable to see that person with someone else. We all can testify to that.
Second, lets talk about all the negatives and bad consequences of polygamy. We are all human and are innate to being jealous. Even little children are jealous of each other. Sometimes my 1 yr old starts crying when i am focusing my attention on her sister. She holds up her hands for me to carry her. It is innate in us. We are born that way. How about diseases, we all have our own germs and bacterias. Right! So how can you be completely safe and clean, when you have multiple partners. Ok you can say "just take precautions" but we know that is not totally safe. Every woman goes through a change every month. Women also experience infections etc. I do not have to go in to detail about this. We are all grown and we know.
Third, what about the children, do you think siblings who have the same father, but different mothers will be as close to each other. There would be too much jealousy, anger, frustration and many other issues to even list. It is complicated enough in this time and epoc to find a happy and healthy marriage, without all these other problems to mount on top.
We are all adults, we know what is right and what is wrong. Lets look at the whole picture here. Not just one detail(one man, 4 wives). If we do that, I think life would be much easier for a lot of people.

blahman

this is an article i wrote for my website about polygamy:

Imagine a land devastated by war. Thousands of young men have lost their lives and the ratio of women to men exceeds 5:1. Mothers are left secluded, trying to support their children alone and even more women risk living their lives without hope of having a family. What is the solution to this problem?

Long ago in Arabia, the amount of wives a man could have was virtually limitless. Islam thus limited (not ordained) the amount of wives to 4. The practice of polygamy was meant to support the wives of those who died in war as well as the women who could not get married due to the severe loss of men. The purpose of this was to solve a major social problem and deter major sins such as prostitution from poisoning the community.

The first thing to understand is that polygamy is not always encouraged in Islam. It was made permissible initially to provide an opportunity for widows and orphans to be taken care of after the devastation of war. When thousands of young men died in war, the female population greatly exceeded the male population, and created an imbalance that provided a setting for hardship. The quran says:
“If you deem it best for the orphans, you may marry their mothers - you may marry two, three, or four. If you fear lest you become unfair, then you shall be content with only one.” {4:3}

There are conditions, however, to which a man may have more than one wife. A man must treat each wife equally, both financially and legally, and spend an equal amount of time with each. The majority of Muslims agree that this condition is nearly impossible to fulfill in this modern day, meaning that no Muslim should have more than one wife.

The Quran is a dynamic guide for people of all times. One must have the right intentions when doing anything in Islam. In certain cases, polygamy has great benefits towards the sustenance of humanity, but in others cases it can be unfair. That is why God does not tell us whether polygamy is right or wrong, because it can be either depending on the situation. We are urged to do what is right, and Insha’Allah (if God wills) we will always have the right intention when doing anything.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

SEE I personally dont think and i am almost sure i can not love more than 1 woman ,any more than the sisters here cannot love more than 1 man.point .though i feel that my wife would get so bored of my all pervading love tht she would suggest 1 more wife.but i still wont marry another.for a motorbike has only one pillion seat and i would travel the world with my soulmate cruising into he sunset.till m wife would get bored.and say please get someone else give me a break.but i wont, for on a moonlit night i would read out the poems of my longing heart and walk by the waves on the beach..holding her hand and tell her how much i love her and what she means to me till she would get bored.I WOULD STILL SHARE MY DREAMS LIKE ROCKY Baiboa..DO DODO.see even men dream BUT
but
HELLO .. ISLAM.PERIOD.THATS WHAT I BELIEVE IN .SO WOULD I MARRY MORE THAN ONE WIFE for my sake. never . for a sisters sake. for A MUSLIM SISTERS SAKE..UMM I DONT KNOW .FOR ALLAHs SAKE YES I WOULD .
nd i would really love and respect my first wife from my very rooh .for bearing with this ordeal ,should Allah ever put me into this..

Why see What hurt me most on this thread is to see sisters s not even considering itfor ALLAHS SAKE.
OK WE ARE YOUNG.
OK WE ARE UNMARRIED,
OK WE ARE MUSLIMS.or are we...

to put it into perspective
if i have to choose between a born muslim girl {from the same set of values as mine nd all and everbody happy} nd a revert who needs support if only in the form of learning abouut islam and or moral or emotional support ,what should i do..

i would probably do what is my duty ,and my duty is only to Allah ,and i would do that cheerfully out of immense respet that she hs swam against the tide for my Allahs sake and deserves m respect.

now this sister might have boyfriends in the past ...do you think men are not jealous.
so now tell me what would happen if everyman wanted the perfect love chaos. broken disillusioned dreams.
but then is not his revert coming to islam that offers dignity to women nd is above cultural prejudices.
similarly what should happen to those sisters of ours who have no one to supprt as i war torn regions .
DO YOU WANT ISLAM TO BECOME LIKE THE EUROPE OF AFTER WORLD WR II ,here women approached he priests to talk to the pope to leglize polygamy .since men had died in large ummbers.
know what the hypocrisy of church was.We dont change the law let them find a way around it.

have we not become a bit like that, unable to rise above the perversions of the western society and es it is a perversion this western idea of love ,for the simple reason that it does not exist .

DO WE KNOW WHAT LOVE IS .WHEN WE TALK OF TRUE LOVE .
LOVE IS TO GIVE FREELY NOT TO HOLD BACK.

AND i seriously felt bad about muslim women wantig to kill their husbands and preventing even the hoors from touching him etc .
my sisters i am sorry to say you have made demi gods of your husbands and in your worship to them you donot mind and i am sure some of the enterprsing ones will murder and all...this is more shakespeare than islam
AND HOW CAN YOU BE SO INSECURE DONT YOU BELIEVE IN DIVINCE PROVIDENCE.
if it is not destined for your husband he will get no more after you so just relax and think you are compromising your deen by notacepting that AS ALLAH HAS WRITTEN SO IT SHALL BE DONE.

lastly i would always be at complete ease with \my only wife knowing that she oves Allah more than me. than i would be with someone i love very much but who loves me more than Allahs commands or is looking for discounts in following quran.

lastly i would never willingly put myself or my wife in such a situation..but i would want the last word on ths to be ALLAHS' and not of any woman no mater how dear to me.:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Wow...all I can say is if Allah has permitted this it must be good. We do that which is permitted and refrain from that which is forbidden. We are by choice the slaves of Allah.
If you do not want it for yourselves..so be it..but do not find fault in that which is permitted by Allah. For that which is permitted by Allah has no time limits. That which is permitted by Allah is good and right.

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

As regards the CIA link provided by GP, it takes into account the world population as a whole. But, if we take individual cities and communities, that sex ratio need not be true.

And Allah Knows Best

salams