__

Ummah123

Walaykum Assalam

In Islam it's encouraged to have more kids, as in hadith Prophet (saw) said he would be proud of our great numbers before other nations.

Also it is not blind selfishness to want a child. Children are a blessing from Allah. Why should anyone deny them or not want them?

if u want to adopt an orphan, that's a great thing and has great rewards, but it's no obstacle from having your own kids. Just because there are orphans doesn't mean we stop having kids. Similar to the fact that, just because there are poor people doesn't mean the rich can't spend their money. Allah made some rich, some poor. We can't really change this system of life but we should give as much charity as possible. Nor can we change the fact that there will be some kids without parents, and some with parents. We can't really change this either, but we should try and adopt kids, however this is no obstacle to having your own kids as they are a blessing from Allah. If he has given you the ability and you the blessing, why deny it.

Also as for how it's not Islamically safe for children. That is a valid point, but you can always move to a more Islamic country. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's as close as it gets. You can send them to the islamic schools too. Depends on their background and what you teach them more than their environment in my opinion. Prophet (saw) and his companions lived at a time where they were surrounded by either the pagans, the jews or hypocrites, this didn't stop them from having kids.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaikum warahmatullaah.

Before getting into your question, you should know, akhi, that present-day adoption was something that was practiced during jaahiliyyah and also in the early days of Islam. In the adoption process, the child gains your name and loses his/her father's name, which, as we know, is not permissible. Allah `azza wa jalla says in soorat al-Ahzaab "Call them by the names of their fathers." (أدعوهم لآبائهم )
It was narrated from Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no man who knowingly calls himself after someone other than his father but he has committed kufr. Whoever claims to belong to people to whom he has no ties of blood, let him take his place in Hell.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3317; Muslim, 61)
Also, later when the child grows up, your biological children will consider him/her their real sibling and it won't be allowed for them to marry one another and that's not permissible.

Sponsoring an orphan is allowed and very much encouraged. In a hadeeth, narrated by Sahl ibn Sa`d, the prophet :saw: said,

“I and the one who sponsors an orphan will be like this in Paradise” – and he gestured with his index and middle fingers, holding them slightly apart.
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4998)
You can bring an orphan child to come live with you in your house in order to sponsor them but once the child become reaches puberty, you should separate them from the rest of the household (the boy from the girls/women and the girl from the boys/men).

I have been thinking about this. There are so many orphans in the world today and yet people are producing more children. Which one is better according to Islam, to have an own child or to adopt a child?
Should we not start to take care of the children that already exist in the world rather than wanting new ones?
There's good in both having children and helping orphans. But I don't think it's a matter of choosing one or the other. Have children if Allaah allows you to but also sponsor orphans to the best of your ability. And by the way, a man providing for his household is a form of sadaqah. So if he's only able to take care of his own kids he still gets rewarded.

And it is encouraged to have lots of kids. The prophet said in a hadeeth, the brother already mentioned it, but his :saw: 's words were: "marry those who are loving and fertile, for I will be proud of your great numbers before the other nations."
And it's not permissible to hold of on concieving children for fear of poverty in Islaam. There are many verse in the qur'aan where Allaah `azza wa jalla says that He is the one who provides for everyone.

I have also thought that how can someone want a child except out of blind selfishness. Today we do not have an Islamic country, we can not even guarantee the safety of our children.
How can wanting and conceiving a child be regarded as selfishness? It's a blessing from Allaah and He grants it to some and withholds it from others. And we do have Islamic countries, we just don't have a Caliphate in place.

Eman Yousuf

:salam:, Your thoughts are well answered by yourself;), so go ahead if you get a chance
sponsor a child. Sometime I too think there are so many new born thrown out after birth , due to poverty, illegal birth or rape etc., in India, why dont I find one near a garbage ? Even my daughter say so whenever we hear a news like that "mummy why dont we get an opportunity to find a baby in a plastic bag or near a garbage dumpster, the child will be a blessing to our family" ......so the discussion goes on for a while.

In my opinion any one who has an access to such should go ahead and adopt or support an orphan.

Rest is upto Allah (swa) to make the matter easy.

ma salaam