A good state in the US

Jennie

I currently live in phoenix Arizona, where as far as i can tell, it is very hush hush about the Muslims in the community IF there are even any, I have yet to find anyone :(

I am wanting to move once i can afford it. But i want to find a good strong Muslim community. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what city/state would be a good choice?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
There are pockets of Muslims in most of the states. However those with the largest Muslim populations would be New York (primarily New York City), California (primarily Los Angeles) and Michigan (primarily Dearborne). Dearborne's known as one of the most active. Houston, Texas has a good, sizeable population as well.

Hope that helped.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'alaikum

may Allah subahnahu wa ta'la help you to find good Islamic society, good brothers and sister around there, may He make you from among the best of the people and companion in this world and the next world, wassalam

Jennie

Thank you both! that does help. Michigan is actually on my list of desired places to go.

Do any of you know anything about Colorado? what the communities are like there?

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I actually don't know much about Colorado but from what I've heard, there aren't many Muslims there. Feel free to do your own research though as I could be wrong.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Dallas and Houston have thriving muslim communities MashaAllah. On the employment front as well, there are wide variety of jobs available, so InshaAllah a good place to consider for relocation if you are thinking of coming down south.

May Allah azz zawajal make it easy for everyone. Ameen

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I'd say stick to the East Coast. The only states on the west are really California and Texas. Tennessee is not too bad. A friend of mine moved to Chattanooga and she LOVES how big the community is there =)

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Sister Alf2 has a point. The East Coast tends to be a bit more lax in terms of embracing diversity and have an openness towards learning about different lifestyles.

Just make sure you steer clear of the Bible Belt. That can be a danger zone sometimes.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
There are pockets of Muslims in most of the states. However those with the largest Muslim populations would be New York (primarily New York City), California (primarily Los Angeles) and Michigan (primarily Dearborne). Dearborne's known as one of the most active. Houston, Texas has a good, sizeable population as well.

Hope that helped.
~~~

:ma:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide our muslim's brothers and sisters
there and in the world~Amin!

Subhanaallah!
~May Allah swt reward you for your good effort~Amin!

Take care!
~Wassalam :)

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

Sister, you need to look at a few things. You need to find a place where you could also get a descent employment for youself, and where there is good and thriving Muslim population, specially if it is of reverts, with Masjid where they help reverts to learn Islam (I guess that you are a revert sister - correct?).

There are many many good communities like this in USA. I live in Michigan, but I can tell you that Dearborn is not very helpful city for reverts. Yes you can find a lot of restaurants and stores where you can get Halal meat and middle-eastern food and a lot of Arabs, mostly Muslims. But they will not pay much attention to you as there are so many Muslims all around. So I think, at the momemnt you need to consider a location which is welcoming and also has characteristics as I have described above.

In Michigan there are several other communities which are built around Mosques and which are strong and helpful... IAGD Mosque (aka Troy Masjid), MCWS Mosque (Canton Masjid), Tawheed Center etc are good communities, much better than Dearborn in this reapect. Also keep in mind that Michigan's economy is not so good these days.

There are good communities in other cities/states also, like Texas, California, New York etc, Chicago also has great Muslim population. In My opinion state is not as important as the community itself and employment opportunities. Therefore I agree with brother BrotherInIslam7.

I searched Phoenix, and found three Mosques in that city. The best Mosque appears to be ICCP: They are currently building a new masjid for nearly 4.5 million dollars. So it looks like a established community with good setup and facilities. Even their current building can houses a lot of worshipper, and they have women Halaqa for women education also. Call them to find out which will be the best time for you to visit and meet other sisters over there.

Islamic Community Center of Phoenix
7516 North Black Canyon Highway,
Phoenix, AZ 85051 USA
Phone: (602) 249-0496
Email: [email protected]

The next two Masjids do not appear as impressive to me via internet, but since you live there, you can check them out.

Masjid Jauharatul-Islam
102 West South Mountain Avenue, Phoenix, AZ
(602) 268-6151

Muslim Community Mosque
1818 North 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85008-3807
(602) 306-4959

To find out information about communities in other states you can contact an organization www.WHYISLAM.org, they have offices in many cities in US. They also have a toll free phone number to call and talk to a real person 1-877-WHY-ISLAM.
On their website they say that they can provide many different kinds of help in many cities across the US, they can even help plan a visit to a Mosque also. So please check them out if you want to move.

Hope this information help you.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The DC area has a thriving Muslim population. Northern Virginia has a wealthy population. There area Muslim schools as well as business communities.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Sister Alf2 has a point. The East Coast tends to be a bit more lax in terms of embracing diversity and have an openness towards learning about different lifestyles.

Just make sure you steer clear of the Bible Belt. That can be a danger zone sometimes.

I live in Georgia, and Muslims are not hated as much as the stereotype is. Of course people will stare but not a lot happens hate crime related. The problem with the South is that we have a LOT of sects. Sufi and Nation of Islam are rampant here.

I would still say stay away from the South because 1) there are no jobs 2) the weather SUCKS (sub tropic climate) 3) the education system sucks (look up "Atlanta schools cheating scandal")

I have noticed Capital Cities of states have some kind of Islamic community regardless of the state. Like lets say a state like Nebraska (lol). I googled "Omaha mosques" and i get like 2 places.

Shak78

I'd say stick to the East Coast. The only states on the west are really California and Texas. Tennessee is not too bad. A friend of mine moved to Chattanooga and she LOVES how big the community is there =)

I used to live in Chattanooga and miss it so much. That was a great town and a good school if you want to get an education as well.