A little Help PLeaeaese!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Aleykum Beloved brothers N sisters:)...Hope Yu're All In the BEST of HeALTH N IimaaN:SMILY126:

I've been curious about this for a while so i thought I should ask yu guys.
So my question is- IF someone(Muslim-born) Knew that prayer was waajib for s/he and that it's the difference between a Muslim/Non-muslim But was Never good at it for somekinda reasons, meaning they prayed either like a Taariku- Salaat or didn't pray at All And wanted to start praying Seriously NOW...hOW WILL THEY DO THAT!?!? Does that person have to re-do All the past parayers?(for IT IS thier obligation) even if it's prayers from 5 years ago?? If they repent to Allah SWT really meanin' it this last time, N start praying for Him, No-matter what obstacle...how can that be done?

Ok..let me clear up this confusion i've made for y'all!:)
A dear friend of mine who's my age went to a funeral 2 days ago N got a wake-up call subhanAllah. She was masha'allah at other things except for her SAlAAT Subhanallah...As long as i've known her she was Always too lazy, too tired or either too sleepy to pray(shaitan's usual work na'udhu bi Allah). Any-ways, she knew tht Allah swt would question her about it one day but did nothing abt it...Though there were times tht she repented N became better in her Iimaan, But she kept slippin' off every time...UNtill 2 days ago! After she got back frm the funeral, she kept askin' me the same questions I asked above: If I really started prayin again, how do I re-do my last 5yrs of prayers?
Is Allah goin' to Ask me abt them if I Just move on N start clean???

So I Told her I'd ask people who knew abt it more than me N see what they say, but In the mean-tme, to pRay N stay near Allah 'Azza wa jAL!
N i kno tht Inna Allah La yastahyee min-al Haqq But i've been too chicken to Ask anyone, so I hope Yu Guys/Girls can help me out:):biggrin:

P.s, Please keep the sister in your Du'aas...Thank yu, Thank yu, Thank yu All

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Alhamdulillah,

Now when the things came in front of her eyes, and she is regretting for her past, my advice which I too follow is that during all the salah daily advice her to offer Khaza of evey salah. Means if she is going to Offer Fajr, she should offer Khaza for fajr of her past like this for all salahs, so that if she had left the prayers of last 10 years, she will cover the Khaza of all those in the coming 10 years and so on :).
Even if we die then Allah sees what we have in our heart, He is oft-forgiving and Merciful :)

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
As Salaamu Alaikhum, from my understanding and watching the video u can't " make up" the prayers, u can only repent 4 missing them and make dua' 2 do better, then u can pray extra prayers 2 receive barika from this point forward. is what my limited hikma knows on the subject, insha ALLAH may it give u cause 2 seek a better understanding. May ALLAH make it easy 4 u. ASA

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
We all know that missed Zakah and missed fasting can be made up by heirs of the negligent decedent. The above hadeeth confirms that missed pilgrimage can be as well, so how come missed prayers cannot? The logic the Prophet offered applies to prayers too.

:salam2:

Is there supporting scholarly evidence regarding this matter?!..or is this simply your own interpretation akhi?!

:wasalam:

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Prayer is a little different then debt and pilgrimage brother. One can die when he is 30 and have the intention to do the the Hajj soon but never get the chance. WIth debt, he can have the intention to pay it off soon and may die before that. Prayer, on the other hand, is a daily obligation and you have to do it as long as you live.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
The Hadeeth I offered you and the logic the prophet (PBUH) used is not evidence?

If missed prayer cannot be made up, then we have a few dilemmas:
  • A negligent Muslim may conclude that he or she cannot be forgiven because they left the "pillar of the religion." That may lead them to abandon the religion altogether because it's hopeless for them to go to Janna.
  • That same person may be thinking that since accepting Islam wipes out all sins before it, they may renounce Islam with the plan to revert back to it later!
  • A negligent Muslim believing that missed prayers cannot be made up for but that he or she can repent and will be forgiven, may decide to put off praying a bit longer! After all, didn't God say that He forgives all sins?

All those dilemmas are false because they are based on a false assumption. The opinion offered in the video draws a conclusion from a hadeeth that is specific, by the admission of the Shaykh, may God reward him, to unintentional neglect of a prayer, and extrapolates, without further evidence, to intentional neglect! Is that a proper logical deduction, or is the debt analogy the prophet (PBUH) made more logical?

The hadeeth quoted in the video gives us guidance what to do when we miss prayers unintentionally. Did the Prophet (PBUH) give us guidance about intentional neglect of prayer? Sure. He said, "Between a man and Kufr is the abandonment of prayer." Reported by Ibn Hanbal, Muslim, Abu-Daawood, At-Tirmizhi and Ibn Maajah. Many scholars opined that such a person must be killed! That ruling has been debated by the scholars and many of them disagree. Maalik and Ash-Shaafi`i both said that he should not be killed but must be given a chance to repent and if he doesn't then he is killed. Abu-Haneefa disagreed and said that if he doesn't repent, he is jailed until he starts praying.

In fact, Ash-Shaafi`i and Ibn Hanbal had a famous debate about whether the negligent of prayer is a kaafir, which almost everybody agrees on. Ash-Shaafi`i said to Ibn Hanbal, "If he is a kaafir, how does he become a Muslim?" He said, "He bears witness that there is no god but Allah." Ash-Shaafi`i replied, "He does!" Ibn Hanbel then said, "Ok, he becomes a Muslim by praying." Ash-Shaaf`i replied, "The prayer of a kaafir is not accepted!" Ibn Hanbal was silent after that. May God have been pleased with both.

So, as you can see, the matter is far from settled, not even the judgment that those who neglect the prayer are kuffaar.

The matter should have been a lot simpler because the debt analogy hadeeth I quoted makes it simple.

The hadith you provided is evidence in its *own* specific context..and its interpretation is not left to you and I..because we can have incompetence in our knowledge and thus say something which may not be valid..that's one..

Two..the point behind my question was that *personal interpretations* not be made and passed as a *final say* and then get taken as *verdicts*..we have people with varying levels of knowledge here..yet none of us possess the knowledge to speak with "confidence" about matters of the sort discussed..and though we may intend good in providing our "perspective" or "interpretation"..it can very well backfire at us in the sight of Allah ya akhi..

Three..ifshaa'a assalam is one of the many virtues encouraged in the sunnah..and there's much ajer in it..I assume when someone says salam to you in real life you would answer back without even realizing it..it would be nice to see that transfer here as well baraka Allah feek..

Finally..I still maintain that it is *best* for all of us if not to provide then to refer questions of this sort to the scholars who would be *certain* of what they are saying and also leave no room to *personal input* (especially about topics of the sensitivity of missing prayers and being in the fold of kufr or not and so on) but rather provide the thorough evidence from the Qura'an..the Sunnah..and scholarly researches..to answer the question(s) put before them..

So sister suhanaanah..I recommend that you dedicate time to seeking a qualified scholar..or ask your local Imam to direct you towards locating one..or even look up the answer for you..so you'd be *sure* that you're being given the sound answer Inshallah!

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
As-salamu 'Aleykum Beloved brothers N sisters:)...Hope Yu're All In the BEST of HeALTH N IimaaN:SMILY126:

I've been curious about this for a while so i thought I should ask yu guys.
So my question is- IF someone(Muslim-born) Knew that prayer was waajib for s/he and that it's the difference between a Muslim/Non-muslim But was Never good at it for somekinda reasons, meaning they prayed either like a Taariku- Salaat or didn't pray at All And wanted to start praying Seriously NOW...hOW WILL THEY DO THAT!?!? Does that person have to re-do All the past parayers?(for IT IS thier obligation) even if it's prayers from 5 years ago?? If they repent to Allah SWT really meanin' it this last time, N start praying for Him, No-matter what obstacle...how can that be done?

Ok..let me clear up this confusion i've made for y'all!:)
A dear friend of mine who's my age went to a funeral 2 days ago N got a wake-up call subhanAllah. She was masha'allah at other things except for her SAlAAT Subhanallah...As long as i've known her she was Always too lazy, too tired or either too sleepy to pray(shaitan's usual work na'udhu bi Allah). Any-ways, she knew tht Allah swt would question her about it one day but did nothing abt it...Though there were times tht she repented N became better in her Iimaan, But she kept slippin' off every time...UNtill 2 days ago! After she got back frm the funeral, she kept askin' me the same questions I asked above: If I really started prayin again, how do I re-do my last 5yrs of prayers?
Is Allah goin' to Ask me abt them if I Just move on N start clean???

So I Told her I'd ask people who knew abt it more than me N see what they say, but In the mean-tme, to pRay N stay near Allah 'Azza wa jAL!
N i kno tht Inna Allah La yastahyee min-al Haqq But i've been too chicken to Ask anyone, so I hope Yu Guys/Girls can help me out:):biggrin:

P.s, Please keep the sister in your Du'aas...Thank yu, Thank yu, Thank yu All

Assalamualaikum sister hope this helps

How can he make up for missed prayers?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allaah has allocated specific times for acts of worship for reasons that are known to Him. We know some of them, but some of them are hidden from us. Whatever the case, we are enjoined to adhere to them and it is not permissible to transgress against that except for reasons permitted in sharee’ah.

If a person misses the prayer, one of two scenarios must apply:

1 –

He missed it for a reason, such as falling asleep or forgetting it. There is no sin on him in this case, but he has to make it up when he wakes up or remembers it.

It was narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever forgets a prayer, let him offer it as soon as he remembers, for there is no expiation for it other than that.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (572) and Muslim (684); Muslim narrated an additional phrase: “or sleeps and misses it”.

Muslim also narrated (684): “If one of you sleeps and misses a prayer, or forgets it, let him offer the prayer when he remembers, for Allaah says ‘and perform As‑Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑Salaah) for My remembrance’ [Ta-Ha 20:14].”

2 –

He missed the prayer with no excuse; rather he ignored it until the time for it ended, out of laziness and carelessness. This person is sinning according to the consensus of the Muslims, and has committed a major sin.

It is not valid for him to make it up according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, rather he has to repent and regret it, and resolve not to do that again, and he should do a lot of good deeds and offer a lot of voluntary prayers.

Ibn Hazm said:

As for the one who deliberately omits to pray until the time for the prayer ends, he can never make it up, so he should do a lot of good deeds and offer a lot of voluntary prayers, so that his balance (of good deeds) will weigh heavily on the Day of Resurrection, and he should repent and ask Allaah for forgiveness. End quote.

Al-Muhalla (2/235).

This is also the view of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab and his son ‘Abd-Allaah, and of Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas, Salmaan, Ibn Mas’ood, al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr, Badeel al-‘Aqeeli, Muhammad ibn Sireen, Mutarrif ibn ‘Abd-Allaah and ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez. It was also the view of Dawood al-Zaahiri and Ibn Hazm, and was the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and al-Shawkaani. Among contemporary scholars it was regarded as more correct by al-Albaani, Ibn Baaz, Ibn ‘Uthaymeen and others.

They quoted as evidence the following:

(i)

The words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”

[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

They said: There is a set time for prayer and it is not permissible to do it at any other time except with evidence.

(ii)

The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever forgets a prayer, let him offer it as soon as he remembers, for there is no expiation for it other than that.”

The words “let him offer it as soon as he remembers, for there is no expiation for it other than that” mean: If he is slow in offering the prayer after he remembers it, then it is not an expiation, so how about the one who neglects it deliberately without forgetting or sleeping? It is even more likely that it will not be an expiation in that case, and making it up will be of no benefit.

(iii)

Because Allaah has allocated a specific time for each obligatory prayer, specifying the beginning and end thereof, so it is as if it is not valid to do it before that time just as it is not valid to do it afterwards.

Al-Muhalla (2/235).

Al-Shawkaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Ibn Taymiyah said: Those who disagree – i.e., those who say that he should make up the prayer – do not have any proof to support their argument. Most of them say that he does not have to make it up unless there is a clear command (based on evidence), but there is no such command in this case. We do not disagree that it is obligatory to make it up; rather we disagree as to whether the made-up prayer will be accepted from him and whether prayer offered at the wrong time is valid. He discussed this matter at length and he favoured the view that was mentioned by Dawood and those who agreed with him, and the matter is as he put it, because I made a thorough study of this matter and I did not see any reliable evidence that obliges the one who misses a prayer deliberately to make it up.

Nayl al-Awtaar (2/26).

The more correct view – and Allaah knows best – is that the one who deliberately omits the prayer should not make it up, rather he has to seek forgiveness and repent.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Praise be to Allaah.
[yt]dmrr9eAZIlU[/yt]​

JazakAllah Akhi Abu Talib...this's exactly wat I needed:)
I mean, I KnEw that All My friend needed to do was Honestly RePent But I just wanted to hear those words come from A scholars mouth:D:D

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Alhamdulillah,

Now when the things came in front of her eyes, and she is regretting for her past, my advice which I too follow is that during all the salah daily advice her to offer Khaza of evey salah. Means if she is going to Offer Fajr, she should offer Khaza for fajr of her past like this for all salahs, so that if she had left the prayers of last 10 years, she will cover the Khaza of all those in the coming 10 years and so on :).
Even if we die then Allah sees what we have in our heart, He is oft-forgiving and Merciful :)
JazakAllahu khair Akhi, I really apreciate your help:)

adanshai

Here is a extract from Fiqh-us-Sunnah by Sayyid Sqbiq regarding Qada prayer -

Fiqh 2.99: Making (Qada’) for missed salah
The scholars agree that it is obligatory for one who has forgotten the salah or slept through its time to make up the missed [qada’) prayer. This opinion is based on the hadith of the Prophet mentioned earlier: ‘There is no negligence while one is asleep but forgetfulness occurs when one is awake. if one of you forgets the prayer or sleeps through its time, then he should perform the salah when he recalls it.’ If one falls unconscious, then he need not repeat the salah, unless he regains his consciousness with enough time to purify himself and perform the salah within its proper time.
‘Abdurrazaq relates from Nafi that Ibn ‘Umar once fell sick and became unconscious and missed the prayer. When he regained his consciousness, he did not make up the missed prayer.
Ibn Juraij reports from Ibn Tawus on the authority of his father that if a sick person becomes unconscious, he is not to make up the prayers he missed.
Mu’ammar relates: ‘1 asked az-Zuhri about one who becomes unconscious, and he said that he is not to make up the salah he missed.’
Hamad ibn Salamah relates from Yunus ibn ‘TJbaid that both al-Hassan al-Basri and Muhammad ibn Sireen said that a person who falls unconscious is not to make up the prayers he may miss.
Concerning missing a salah intentionally, the majority of the scholars say that it is a sin and the missed salah must be made up for. Ibn Taimaiyyah says:
Fiqh 2.99 a: In law, there is no way for one who leaves a salah intentionally to make its qada’
He may however, resort to increasing his voluntary and supererogatory acts. Ibn Hazm has thoroughly discussed this question. The following is a summary of what he says on this subject:
Concerning one who leaves a salah intentionally until its time expires, he will never be able to make up for that salah. Such a person should turn to Allah and ask His forgivness and increase his good deeds and nawafil in order to increase his weight [of good] on the Day of Resurrection. Abu Hanifah, Malik, and ash-Shafi say that he can make up the prayer after its time has expired, and Malik and Abu Hanifa even say that if a person intentionally misses a prayer or a few prayers, then he is to make up those prayers before he prays the present salah, even if he has missed all five prayers and should, while making them up, miss the present salah. They say that if he missed more than five prayers, he is to begin by praying the salah whose time is present [and then he is to make up the prayers he missed]. The proof for our position [i.e, the position of Ibn Hazm] is found in the words of Allah, the Exalted:
‘Woe unto the worshippers who are heedless of their prayers,” and: ‘And then there succeeded them a later generation who wasted the prayers and followed their own lusts, but they will meet with destruction.’ If one who intentionally misses a salah could make it up later, then why is it mentioned with affliction or transgression? Of course, there is no affliction or transgression on one who delays the salah. But the case of one who procrastinates until the last portion of its permissible time expires is quite different. Allah, the Exalted, has appointed certain times for the fard salah; both the beginning time and the ending time for the salah have been established, and there is no difference between praying a salah before its time and praying it after its proper time elapses because, in both cases the salah is not performed within its prescribed time. This is not to draw an analogy between one and the
other but it is applying the same rule to them as they both must be performed within the limits set by Allah. Allah, the Exalted, says: ‘Whoever transgresses the limits set by Allah has verily wronged his own soul!’ : The principle of making qada’ must be established by the proper sources of Islamic law. Legislating [in shari’ah] is not permissible, save by Allah’s authority as evidenced by His Prophet.
We ask those people who say that one may make qada’ for a salah which he misses intentionally: ‘Tell us about this salah that you want him to perfom, is it the same salah that Allah ordered him to perform or is it a different one?’ If they say it is the same one, then we may say to them: ‘Then one who misses it intentionally is not guilty of being disobedient [to Allah, the Exalted], as he has done what Allah had ordered him to do, and there is no sin upon him according to your statement and likewise there should be no blame upon one who intentionally delays a salah until its time expires, but that is not an acceptable position for any Muslim.’ If they say that it is not the salah which Allah ordered, we may say: ‘You have told the truth,’ and this is a sufficient confession from them. Then, we may ask them: ‘Is one who intentionally leaves the salah until its time expires being obedient or disobedient to Allah?’ If they say obedient, they will be differing from the consensus of the Muslims and the Qur’an and the confirmed sunnah. If they say he is being disobedient, they are speaking the truth and it is not valid that an act of disobedience should replace an act of obedience. Also, Allah, the Exalted, has set specific limits, through the tongue of His Messenger, for the times of the salah. Each salah has a specific beginning time, and no one may perform the salah before that time, and each prayer has a specific ending time, and no one may perform the salah after that time. No one of this ummah will dispute that point. However, if one is allowed to pray after the time set by the Messenger of Allah, then setting an ending time for the salah has no meaning to it. Such an opinion is nonsense and may Allah, the Exalted, keep us from it. Every action is connected with a certain time and it is not valid outside of that time; if it was valid outside of that time, what would be the purpose of that time being specifically singled out for that act? [The logic of this argument] is clear and Allah, the Almighty, is our Supporter.
Ibn Hazm discusses this point at great length, and adds: ‘If making up a salah is obligatory for one who has left a salah, even after its time has expired, why is it that Allah and His Messenger have chosen not to mention that fact as (surely) they did not forget it: ‘And your Lord is not forgetful! Any law that is not based on the Qur’an or the sunnah is not valid. It has been authentically reported that the Prophet said: ‘Whoever misses the ‘asr salah, it is as if he has lost his family and his property.’ It is conect to say that if one ‘misses’ something, he cannot make it up, for if he makes it up or could make it up, the act would not be ‘missed.’ The entire Muslim ummah is in agreement with the statement and ruling that if the time of the salah has elapsed, then the salah is ‘over’ [i.e., ‘qada’ in Arabic], but if one can make it up, the statement that the salah is ‘over’ becomes false and untrue; therefore, there is no way that it could ever be made up. The people who agree with us on this include ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab, his son ‘Abdullah, Sad ibn Abi Waqas, Salman al-Farsi, ibn Mas’ud, al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr, Budail al-’Uqaili, Muhammad ibn Sireen, Mutraf ibn ‘Abdullah, ‘Umar ibn ‘Abdulaziz, and others. Allah has left no excuse, for anyone required to perform the salah, to delay the salah from its proper time for any reason whatsoever, not even during times of fighting, fear, extreme illness, or travelling. Allah says: ‘And when you are among them and arrange them for salah, let only one party be with you’ And: ‘But if you are in danger, then walking or riding.’ Allah, the Exalted, does not permit even the extremely sick person to delay the salah. In fact, such a person has been ordered to pray sitting, if he cannot pray standing, and if he cannot pray sitting, then he may pray on his side. Also, if one cannot make ablution with water, he may make tayammum; and if he cannot find soil to make tayammum, he may still pray. Whence has the permission been obtained that one may intentionally leave the salah until its time is finished and who has ordered that it be performed after its time and how is it that the belated salah would be sufficient? None of this is derived from the Qur’an, Sunnah, Qiyas (analogical reasoning), and so forth.
Ibn Hazm farther says: ‘Concerning our statement that the one who intentionally leaves a salah until its time expires is to repent to Allah, the Exalted, ask for His forgiveness, pray an increased number of nawafil, and do good deeds. This statement is based on Allah’s words: ‘Then there succeeded them a generation who missed prayers and followed after lusts.

Hope it is helpful

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Excellent post, brother Nayyararsi, Jazaaka Allaahu Khayran. If I may comment on a number of good points raised:

That doesn't necessarily follow, because the expiation (Kaffaara) here means what it always means: fasting, charity, repentance. In other words, the Prophet, peace be upon him, is saying that no fasting, charity or repentance can expiate a missed prayer; only a prayer can expiate a missed prayer. Thus, this hadeeth, ironically, is an argument for making up for the missed prayers not against it.

If that were true, then making up for a missed prayer which were missed by oversleeping or forgetfulness, would be invalid and unaccepted. The fact that the Prophet (PBUH) said to make them up is proof that they can be prayed after their time has ended and that such prayer will be accepted.

And neither is there a command not to do it! Which then is the safer interpretation: to do it and find out later that it was not required, or to not do it and find out later that it was required?

True, but the same can be said about not making up the missed prayer and relying on repentance: we don't know if that's sufficient as there is no proof that it is. We only hope to God that it is.
Assalamualaikum sister

Well this was the question asked on islamqa and i just did the copy paste.Furthermore the right of Ijtihad(deriving the ruling) is only for the scholar and not for the common person.So you can only quote the scholars you cannot pass the judgements and in this case the matter is so complicated that the scholars are differing so it is beyond the understanding of a common man.

So i as an ordinary muslim can say that you can follow either group of scholars you feel comfortable with.ALLAH says in QURAN

Allâh burdens not a person beyond his scope(2:286).

Abu Talib

Feeling low
JazakAllah Akhi Abu Talib...this's exactly wat I needed:)
I mean, I KnEw that All My friend needed to do was Honestly RePent But I just wanted to hear those words come from A scholars mouth:D:D

Praise be to Allaah.

Wa Jazaka.

Alhumdulillah thank Allaah that you have got teh right answer from the Scholar.

Ibn Uthaymin

Fiqh 2.99: Making (Qada’) for missed salah
The scholars agree that it is obligatory for one who has forgotten the salah or slept through its time to make up the missed [qada’) prayer. This opinion is based on the hadith of the Prophet mentioned earlier: ‘There is no negligence while one is asleep but forgetfulness occurs when one is awake. if one of you forgets the prayer or sleeps through its time, then he should perform the salah when he recalls it.’ If one falls unconscious, then he need not repeat the salah, unless he regains his consciousness with enough time to purify himself and perform the salah within its proper time.
‘Abdurrazaq relates from Nafi that Ibn ‘Umar once fell sick and became unconscious and missed the prayer. When he regained his consciousness, he did not make up the missed prayer.
Ibn Juraij reports from Ibn Tawus on the authority of his father that if a sick person becomes unconscious, he is not to make up the prayers he missed.
Mu’ammar relates: ‘1 asked az-Zuhri about one who becomes unconscious, and he said that he is not to make up the salah he missed.’
Hamad ibn Salamah relates from Yunus ibn ‘TJbaid that both al-Hassan al-Basri and Muhammad ibn Sireen said that a person who falls unconscious is not to make up the prayers he may miss.
Concerning missing a salah intentionally, the majority of the scholars say that it is a sin and the missed salah must be made up for. Ibn Taimaiyyah says:
Fiqh 2.99 a: In law, there is no way for one who leaves a salah intentionally to make its qada’
He may however, resort to increasing his voluntary and supererogatory acts. Ibn Hazm has thoroughly discussed this question. The following is a summary of what he says on this subject:
Concerning one who leaves a salah intentionally until its time expires, he will never be able to make up for that salah. Such a person should turn to Allah and ask His forgivness and increase his good deeds and nawafil in order to increase his weight [of good] on the Day of Resurrection. Abu Hanifah, Malik, and ash-Shafi say that he can make up the prayer after its time has expired, and Malik and Abu Hanifa even say that if a person intentionally misses a prayer or a few prayers, then he is to make up those prayers before he prays the present salah, even if he has missed all five prayers and should, while making them up, miss the present salah. They say that if he missed more than five prayers, he is to begin by praying the salah whose time is present [and then he is to make up the prayers he missed]. The proof for our position [i.e, the position of Ibn Hazm] is found in the words of Allah, the Exalted:
‘Woe unto the worshippers who are heedless of their prayers,” and: ‘And then there succeeded them a later generation who wasted the prayers and followed their own lusts, but they will meet with destruction.’ If one who intentionally misses a salah could make it up later, then why is it mentioned with affliction or transgression? Of course, there is no affliction or transgression on one who delays the salah. But the case of one who procrastinates until the last portion of its permissible time expires is quite different. Allah, the Exalted, has appointed certain times for the fard salah; both the beginning time and the ending time for the salah have been established, and there is no difference between praying a salah before its time and praying it after its proper time elapses because, in both cases the salah is not performed within its prescribed time. This is not to draw an analogy between one and the
other but it is applying the same rule to them as they both must be performed within the limits set by Allah. Allah, the Exalted, says: ‘Whoever transgresses the limits set by Allah has verily wronged his own soul!’ : The principle of making qada’ must be established by the proper sources of Islamic law. Legislating [in shari’ah] is not permissible, save by Allah’s authority as evidenced by His Prophet.
We ask those people who say that one may make qada’ for a salah which he misses intentionally: ‘Tell us about this salah that you want him to perfom, is it the same salah that Allah ordered him to perform or is it a different one?’ If they say it is the same one, then we may say to them: ‘Then one who misses it intentionally is not guilty of being disobedient [to Allah, the Exalted], as he has done what Allah had ordered him to do, and there is no sin upon him according to your statement and likewise there should be no blame upon one who intentionally delays a salah until its time expires, but that is not an acceptable position for any Muslim.’ If they say that it is not the salah which Allah ordered, we may say: ‘You have told the truth,’ and this is a sufficient confession from them. Then, we may ask them: ‘Is one who intentionally leaves the salah until its time expires being obedient or disobedient to Allah?’ If they say obedient, they will be differing from the consensus of the Muslims and the Qur’an and the confirmed sunnah. If they say he is being disobedient, they are speaking the truth and it is not valid that an act of disobedience should replace an act of obedience. Also, Allah, the Exalted, has set specific limits, through the tongue of His Messenger, for the times of the salah. Each salah has a specific beginning time, and no one may perform the salah before that time, and each prayer has a specific ending time, and no one may perform the salah after that time. No one of this ummah will dispute that point. However, if one is allowed to pray after the time set by the Messenger of Allah, then setting an ending time for the salah has no meaning to it. Such an opinion is nonsense and may Allah, the Exalted, keep us from it. Every action is connected with a certain time and it is not valid outside of that time; if it was valid outside of that time, what would be the purpose of that time being specifically singled out for that act? [The logic of this argument] is clear and Allah, the Almighty, is our Supporter.
Ibn Hazm discusses this point at great length, and adds: ‘If making up a salah is obligatory for one who has left a salah, even after its time has expired, why is it that Allah and His Messenger have chosen not to mention that fact as (surely) they did not forget it: ‘And your Lord is not forgetful! Any law that is not based on the Qur’an or the sunnah is not valid. It has been authentically reported that the Prophet said: ‘Whoever misses the ‘asr salah, it is as if he has lost his family and his property.’ It is conect to say that if one ‘misses’ something, he cannot make it up, for if he makes it up or could make it up, the act would not be ‘missed.’ The entire Muslim ummah is in agreement with the statement and ruling that if the time of the salah has elapsed, then the salah is ‘over’ [i.e., ‘qada’ in Arabic], but if one can make it up, the statement that the salah is ‘over’ becomes false and untrue; therefore, there is no way that it could ever be made up. The people who agree with us on this include ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab, his son ‘Abdullah, Sad ibn Abi Waqas, Salman al-Farsi, ibn Mas’ud, al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr, Budail al-’Uqaili, Muhammad ibn Sireen, Mutraf ibn ‘Abdullah, ‘Umar ibn ‘Abdulaziz, and others. Allah has left no excuse, for anyone required to perform the salah, to delay the salah from its proper time for any reason whatsoever, not even during times of fighting, fear, extreme illness, or travelling. Allah says: ‘And when you are among them and arrange them for salah, let only one party be with you’ And: ‘But if you are in danger, then walking or riding.’ Allah, the Exalted, does not permit even the extremely sick person to delay the salah. In fact, such a person has been ordered to pray sitting, if he cannot pray standing, and if he cannot pray sitting, then he may pray on his side. Also, if one cannot make ablution with water, he may make tayammum; and if he cannot find soil to make tayammum, he may still pray. Whence has the permission been obtained that one may intentionally leave the salah until its time is finished and who has ordered that it be performed after its time and how is it that the belated salah would be sufficient? None of this is derived from the Qur’an, Sunnah, Qiyas (analogical reasoning), and so forth.
Ibn Hazm farther says: ‘Concerning our statement that the one who intentionally leaves a salah until its time expires is to repent to Allah, the Exalted, ask for His forgiveness, pray an increased number of nawafil, and do good deeds. This statement is based on Allah’s words: ‘Then there succeeded them a generation who missed prayers and followed after lusts.

Hope it is helpful

jazakallhu khayr bro Shaykh Sayyud Sabiq rahemuhullah gives lots of evidence. :)

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Why is it complicated? The evidence is there and the logic is straightforward. If one believes that a matter is beyond his or her comprehension, then they will not even try to understand it. But God tells us repeatedly to use our minds and reason, so if we quit reasoning, we do not follow God's command.

I have no problem when people offer a fatwa and most want to follow it. The only problem is that when there are clearly valid counter arguments to the fatwa and people will not even consider them. Why? Why is it a good idea to shut down the mind?

Whatever one decides to do, it's their own decision and responsibility. Have you wondered if missed prayers are supposed to be made up for and a Muslim didn't because of the fatwa, can they offer that as an excuse before God? Will the scholar who issued that fatwa save him?

Some members mistakenly think that I dismiss the scholars. I never did. I revere all of them and have said so every time. The point that keeps getting lost is that they are human and therefore can make mistakes. The Prophet, peace be upon him, made mistakes and God corrected him in the Quran. So, why would anybody assume that the scholars cannot make mistakes when revelation from God has ended?

Those who want to follow a fatwa without scrutiny are free to do so. I only point out where an argument is not sound and if there are alternative arguments with good evidence to consider. If one does not wish to consider them, that's OK.

Sister you are again saying the same thing of using the ijtihad yourself.How can you tell that whether the evidence is sound or not.Tell me why would Sheikh ul Islam give fatwa against this evidence why would sheikh albani go against it.They were great scholars and god willing their iman was much more than us .so if you being an ordinary muslim can understand the evidence why wont they doesnt it sound illogical.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As Salaamu Alaikhum, from my understanding and watching the video u can't " make up" the prayers, u can only repent 4 missing them and make dua' 2 do better, then u can pray extra prayers 2 receive barika from this point forward. is what my limited hikma knows on the subject, insha ALLAH may it give u cause 2 seek a better understanding. May ALLAH make it easy 4 u. ASA

Aameen akhi N JazakAllah for your help:)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
The Hadeeth I offered you and the logic the prophet (PBUH) used is not evidence?

If missed prayer cannot be made up, then we have a few dilemmas:
  • A negligent Muslim may conclude that he or she cannot be forgiven because they left the "pillar of the religion." That may lead them to abandon the religion altogether because it's hopeless for them to go to Janna.
  • That same person may be thinking that since accepting Islam wipes out all sins before it, they may renounce Islam with the plan to revert back to it later!
  • A negligent Muslim believing that missed prayers cannot be made up for but that he or she can repent and will be forgiven, may decide to put off praying a bit longer! After all, didn't God say that He forgives all sins?

All those dilemmas are false because they are based on a false assumption. The opinion offered in the video draws a conclusion from a hadeeth that is specific, by the admission of the Shaykh, may God reward him, to unintentional neglect of a prayer, and extrapolates, without further evidence, to intentional neglect! Is that a proper logical deduction, or is the debt analogy the prophet (PBUH) made more logical?

The hadeeth quoted in the video gives us guidance what to do when we miss prayers unintentionally. Did the Prophet (PBUH) give us guidance about intentional neglect of prayer? Sure. He said, "Between a man and Kufr is the abandonment of prayer." Reported by Ibn Hanbal, Muslim, Abu-Daawood, At-Tirmizhi and Ibn Maajah. Many scholars opined that such a person must be killed! That ruling has been debated by the scholars and many of them disagree. Maalik and Ash-Shaafi`i both said that he should not be killed but must be given a chance to repent and if he doesn't then he is killed. Abu-Haneefa disagreed and said that if he doesn't repent, he is jailed until he starts praying.

In fact, Ash-Shaafi`i and Ibn Hanbal had a famous debate about whether the negligent of prayer is a kaafir, which almost everybody agrees on. Ash-Shaafi`i said to Ibn Hanbal, "If he is a kaafir, how does he become a Muslim?" He said, "He bears witness that there is no god but Allah." Ash-Shaafi`i replied, "He does!" Ibn Hanbel then said, "Ok, he becomes a Muslim by praying." Ash-Shaaf`i replied, "The prayer of a kaafir is not accepted!" Ibn Hanbal was silent after that. May God have been pleased with both.

So, as you can see, the matter is far from settled, not even the judgment that those who neglect the prayer are kuffaar.

The matter should have been a lot simpler because the debt analogy hadeeth I quoted makes it simple.

I agree with you Akhi. And I think the brothers n sisters here araen't saying that yu're wrong but that, you just need Daliils on what you're saying, like that one time you said, "the logic the prophet offered applied to prayers too, so howcome missed prayers cannon be made up"- that statement made Me think "How would Ayman kno that", iT looked to me that it was just your mere oppinion, but After I read your other posts, I understood where you were heading! So, JazakAllah for your help!:)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member

So sister suhanaanah..I recommend that you dedicate time to seeking a qualified scholar..or ask your local Imam to direct you towards locating one..or even look up the answer for you..so you'd be *sure* that you're being given the sound answer Inshallah!

I know that this is a serious issue n that i was supposed to go to a scholar or any sheikh around but the only reason I asked for the bros and sisters' on this site's help was because Iam not good with askin' or speaking formally with people am not really used to, so to save my self some embarassement...I started this thread, knowin' in my heart that there 'would' atleast be some people who'd help out! But JazakAllah khair for informing and helpin' me out ukhty:)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member

Hope it is helpful

Are yu kiddin' me:)Of Course it was helpfull!!..JazakAllah for the help akhi, that's what I needed:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.