A Mahatma is a true Jihadi: Turkish spiritual leader

A Kashmiri

Press Trust of India
Sunday, March 9, 2008 (New Delhi)
Mahatma Gandhi's fight with his ego and subsequent victory represents the qualities of what can be termed as true Jihad, according to an eminent Islamic spiritual leader from Turkey.

''Gandhi is the martyr who has performed the real Jihad. As he taught us to first fight with one's ego and win, but never with guns,'' said Sheika Cemalnur Sargut, who heads the Istanbul branch of TURKKAD, the Turkish Women's Cultural Association.

Drawing comparisons between a Haji and the Mahatma, Sargut said,'' Mahatma Gandhi is dressed exactly like one performing Haj. Muslims wear single unstitched clothing ihram while performing Haj. This is a proof that he is always before Allah. He teaches real Islam'', she adds.

Sargut is one of the main speakers of 'The World Council of Women Spiritual Leaders' summit which is going on in Jaipur from March 6-10.

Women leaders cutting across faiths from over 50 countries have gathered in Jaipur to deliberate on various global issues and encourage women leadership.

The delegates from countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Sudan, Palestine, Nepal, Tibet, Japan, United States and Afghanistan among others will be present at the event.

Perspective on Islam

Talking about the growing intolerance and suspicion against Muslims and rise of Islamic militancy, Sargut said that ''It is unfortunate that the West is trying to project Muslims as using violence, there are lots of so called Jihadi groups in Christianity ready to kill Muslims.''

Sheika Cemalnur Sargut adds, ''Islam is a beautiful religion and people who really understand Islam are like diamonds. Sufism is the spectacle through which one can see both the worlds, the real and the divine.''

Talking about the various misconceptions about Islam she said, ''It is not easy to understand Islam, one has to live and feel it at close quarters to understand the religion.''

Explaining that the concept of Jihad was much vitiated in present times, Sargut, who has published many books and articles on Islam said, ''The Jihad, true war of Islam is Love. And where there is love there can be no question of violence and hate.''

Emphasing on the need for all religions to work together for global peace and prosperity she said,'' Different religions are like five figures which are very unlike each other but when they come together they create something very beautiful.''

ASTAGFIRULLAH, these are the words of a spiritual leader of Turkey????

SHAME ON HER in making resemblence of a KAFIR WITH A HAJI,

SHAME on HER for saying that all religions are same , shame on her for parelleling Sufism ( In india it is similar to Hinduism and believes that Allah is in every body , and sometimes Sufis and the Sadhus( Hindu priests who apparently leave the worldly life and live an umarried life without anything but in realiy have DASIS - sort of life slave womens with them for reasons well known) are interchanged and a Sufi who is supposedly a muslim becomes god in Hinduism and vice versa.

SHAME ON HER for calling Ghandi a Martyr when he didnt spoke a word during 1947 when Muslims were killed in millions which was his conspiracy against the muslims who were trying to go to Pakistan to live from Indian part. A book written by Naseem Hijaz a muslm novalist named " Khaq Aur Khoon " exposes this naked Devil - MAHATMA who was behind all the conspiracies against muslims in india.

At the end, shame on this spiritual lady for not presenting true islam when she had a chance but i believe this islam is what they are taught in Turkey these days.

For Turkish brothers here, please do some Dawah and ISLAH work in your country to correct the beliefs of Islam.

Masallama

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum!
Reading some of your posts upsets me dear brother.

Please don't be too judgemental.

At the end, shame on this spiritual lady for not presenting true islam when she had a chance but i believe this islam is what they are taught in Turkey these days.

I believe Islam wants peace not only for and among muslims, but for the whole of humanity and this is exactly what she has tried to explain.

If thats not the true islam, please tell me what is Islam to you?

Salem9022

Brother, Islam is submission to the will of Allah alone and not to anyone else, Islam isn't Love, War, Cars, Poetry, Dance Class or anything like this.:) and by reading this article I can clearly see that this person is an ignorant indivdual because she says that Mahatma Ghandi is a Martyr, first we can't even say Muslims living today are Martyrs because the only Martyrs we are sure of are the people whom Allah said were Martyrs, But this women called a Kaffir a Martyr. She says he did real Jihad. I will like to ask her what does the word Jihad mean and how many categoreis does it have. She also might have gone outside of Islam by claiming that Mahatma Ghandi who is a Hindu was preaching real Islam. She is saying that this Kaffir is teaching real Islam??? lol She also said True Jihad is Love. She is speaking with ignorance Jihad is Justice and not love or barney stories. I have so many other things to say but I lost it from all this writing

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Lets not judge all turkish people like this .I know many turkish people here in US and they are the most orginized and practising muslims I ever met .I dont know anything about politics ,but lets not judge people .They are our muslim brothers and sisters also..
just my opinion

waaleikum salam

Salem9022

she is also supporting the sufi religion in this conference ^^ not a surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if she also said the path to heaven has many gates meaning many religions lol. These people are refuted in so many categories they have noting to stand on except spinning around like ballorinas in circles and speaking of love, barney, and smoking weed lol

Turk Gumption

I know millions of Turkish admire Mahatma Ghandi for his rightful resistance against colonist enemy of India. I don't know what happened during 1947 in India and Gandi's political activities more than this.

As a term martyr we always used it incorrect way. Prime Minister Adnan Menderes was ousted in a 1960 coup and subsequently executed. Menderes’ hanging has given him martyr’s status in conservative circles.(like demokrasi şehidi) Maybe conservative society showed their affection with this incorrect using . Until now we can see many incorrect using for martyr in Turkish media such as animal right martyr , minority right martyr, women right martyr LOL

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
What Ghandi thought of Zionism.

Gandhi also expressed his dislike for partition during the late 1930s in response to the topic of the partition of Palestine to create Israel. He stated in Harijan on 26 October 1938:
Several letters have been received by me asking me to declare my views about the Arab-Jew question in Palestine and persecution of the Jews in Germany. It is not without hesitation that I venture to offer my views on this very difficult question. My sympathies are all with the Jews. I have known them intimately in South Africa. Some of them became life-long companions. Through these friends I came to learn much of their age-long persecution. They have been the untouchables of Christianity [...] But my sympathy does not blind me to the requirements of justice. The cry for the national home for the Jews does not make much appeal to me. The sanction for it is sought in the Bible and the tenacity with which the Jews have hankered after return to Palestine. Why should they not, like other peoples of the earth, make that country their home where they are born and where they earn their livelihood? Palestine belongs to the Arabs in the same sense that England belongs to the English or France to the French. It is wrong and inhuman to impose the Jews on the Arabs. What is going on in Palestine today cannot be justified by any moral code of conduct.[63][64]

He also opposed the treatment of Muslims as second class citizens in India (both pre and post independence), was planning to move to Pakistan, was never slow to criticise his own faith (Hinduism), rejected idol worship; favouring a belief in one true God and actually had a deep and abiding admiration for both the prophet (salli allahu alayi wa salaam) and the religion he preached.

So, please, let's not cast aspersions on the man: kaffir or not.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Are these the words of a hater?

Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in 'Young India,'1924.

I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind.... I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet's biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.​

MTYKK

Banned
Kashmiri, please brother/ssiter what you're doing is nothing but Fitna.
Parting Muslims, creating hatred, without respect or knowledge.
This is the very reason why the ummah is in the condition it is in today. Muslims thinking they are "more" and "better" than other Muslims who are "most of the time" more knowledgable and who are holders of Taqwa.

Islam is the Perfect Deen of mercy, and imaan, which is attained by the mercy of Allah Ta'ala through heart and intellect.

Don't hate your brothers and sisters, instead embrace, love and understand Islaam's reality and completeness.

1 - Provide a link for the article so we can benefit and discuss the reality of her message. There is not a possibility that she will say "All religions are the same" instead the message is there is only one religion with Allah, that's Islaam. Non-Muslims may at times carry out parts of Islaam and apply it to their lives and benefit from those realities, it is our job to show them those realities with proof so that they can see the reality of Islaam. Example of reality: dishonesty, disrespect, lying, lack of charity, bad intentions are often seen in Islamic lands in the name of Muslims which Allah causes through His laws and their absoluteness, their demise because it is their lack of application of Islaam, yet when those characteristics are applied in the Western societies, historically learned from the Muslims, they become (worldly) successful.

2 - Don't insults scholars ignorantly, people who love Allah Ta'ala and His rasul with all their beings.

3 - Remove hatred from your heart and replace it with love.
Don't miss the true message of Islaam (just like we see non-Muslims do) because you look for keywords some people tell you are bad! Islaam is not in the "words", it is in the reality. I mean there was no written complete Mushaf at the time of the Rasul Allah (sallallaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam) as we have today nor tashkeel, do we throw away our Mushaf?

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
This is the very reason why the ummah is in the condition it is in today. Muslims thinking they are "more" and "better" than other Muslims who are "most of the time" more knowledgable and who are holders of Taqwa.

Islam is the Perfect Deen of mercy, and imaan, which is attained by the mercy of Allah Ta'ala through heart and intellect.

Don't hate your brothers and sisters, instead embrace, love and understand Islaam's reality and completeness.

1 - Provide a link for the article so we can benefit and discuss the reality of her message. There is not a possibility that she will say "All religions are the same" instead the message is there is only one religion with Allah, that's Islaam. Non-Muslims may at times carry out parts of Islaam and apply it to their lives and benefit from those realities, it is our job to show them those realities with proof so that they can see the reality of Islaam. Example of reality: dishonesty, disrespect, lying, lack of charity, bad intentions are often seen in Islamic lands in the name of Muslims which Allah causes through His laws and their absoluteness, their demise because it is their lack of application of Islaam, yet when those characteristics are applied in the Western societies, historically learned from the Muslims, they become (worldly) successful.

2 - Don't insults scholars ignorantly, people who love Allah Ta'ala and His rasul with all their beings.

Don't miss the true message of Islaam (just like we see non-Muslims do) because you look for keywords some people tell you are bad! Islaam is not in the "words", it is in the reality. I mean there was no written complete Mushaf at the time of the Rasul Allah (sallallaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam) as we have today nor tashkeel, do we throw away our Mushaf?

salam aleikum
Brother from where u made these conclusions ,lets not judge each other ,u cant know brother's intentions or his heart..to say or judge him this way .

waaleikum salam

MTYKK

Banned
I don't judge him, neither claim any knowledge of hearts, a'udhubillah, , if someone feels something other than he writes than that would make them a munafiq, which I assume this brother isn't, so he must be writing sincerely so I was simply reading his comments and voicing my sincere concerns about what I had to read.

wassalaam.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Well, Brother Kashmiri, I actually understand EXACTLY what you're feeling and it's completely normal especially for Pakistani Muslims as nobody dislikes Hindus or the religion of Hinduism more than we do. Therefore, calling a Hindu a Mujahid is very much an insult for us.

However, Mahatma Gandhi is actually the one Hindu that I have some type of respect for based on the fact that he wasn't like the majority of his people, advocated for peace, and did indeed respect the Prophet PBUH. Despite this I still agree that his good deeds as a human being didn't make him Muslim as he was still a very staunch Hindu and in no way deserves to be called a martyr in the Islamic sense.

I guess all I can say to you brother is that generalization never works, especially when it's a Muslim community. I know that its hurtful to hear words like this coming from a Turkish Muslim, someone who is your sister in Islam, but we know that she is one individual speaking her own beliefs and not the beliefs of her entire country. There are good and bad everywhere and the best way we can count ourselves amongst the good is by not concentrating on the deeds of others and just focusing on our own. Believe me, focusing on her "mishaps" is really a waste of YOUR time.

Meraj

Brother

:salam2:

brother i wonder how u thought that brother is creating a fitna by this information...isnt it painfull for a muslim wen his brother r sister praises a nonmuslim as for as islam is concerned even not saying a single word for our prophet and his companions who are the best examples wen comes the teaching of islam...i think she just make these comments to please them and get appreciation from the people of that land.....may Allah (subhana wa ta;ala) guide her and all of us to the right path (ameen)
forgive me if i have said anything wrong...(love you all for the sake of Allah (subhana wa ta'alah)
:wasalam:

Nisar.Iqbal

A Mahatma is a true Jihadi: Turkish

A/A Dear brothers and Sister's in Islam.
Well exchanging information is good and gaining right knowledge is better.Being a south Asian Muslim and from Kashmir I do know something about the Gandhi Background.Yes it is true he praised our Beloved Prophet (pbuh) but the same man also declared that Islam was spread by Sword which lead Moulana Modudi to Write(Aljihad fil-Islam).He was a good man having good qualities. But when we read Freedom at Midnight that is a book Larry Collins,Dominique Lapierre you can get some insight into his private life as well.And then you can decide whether the Lady scholar is right in Declaring him more Muslim and preaching more Islam.
Freedom at midnight: A review“He wore few clothes and urged his disciples, male and female, to do likewise because clothes he said, only encouraged a false sense of modesty” This makes me wonder if this is the only element of Gandhi’s philosophy...

If Gandhi was already preaching Islam then why are his followers still worshiping the same statues made of stone and clay.
If he was doing the real jihad then why you have so much persecutions of Muslims in India (reg. Meerut and Gujrat riots).
People think he was a great man but In my opinion he was opposite because He was never able to really recognise and acknowledge the existence of Allah.
Also when Dr. Ambedkar (A Dalit leader )approached him to share his concerns and his readiness to revert to Islam. This so called "great man" confused Dr. Ambedkar as to which Islam he is going to convert. Sunni or Shia.
This statement is enoughto show his hypocrisy towards Islam in general and Muslims in particular.
You know what Gandhi used to chant throughout his life.
Sita Ram.. Raja Ram.. etc.
and When he died his words were Hey Ram..

So please Muslims don't link anybody with your faith if he is a Mushrik or an Idolator till he does not submit his Will before Almighty ALLAH.You can never be a Muslim and a Mushrik at the same time.

May Allah Guide has and Bestow on us the Same Pride and Honour which we enjoyed in Khilafate Rashida. Aameen.​

MTYKK

Banned
Wa alaykum salaam wa raHmatuallahi wa barakatuhuu,

Brothers/Sisters in Islaam, Let's make this simpler...
Sister Cemalnur is a well read, studied, Muslim, lover of Allah and His Rasul sallAllaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam. Whose sole struggle is to get the message of Islaam out to people.

When a brother goes out, take a little piece of article without context or citation and tell us that she needs dawah?
That's not mature, not Islamically sound, nor acceptable, it doesn't fit adab.

Imagine someone doing that to some ulama ignorantly (which happens all the time by the way) wouldn't we need to stand up and correct the error nicely but firmly? (I'm not comparing anyone to anyone by the way) We should not be bent on educating everybody else, especially sheikhs, ulama, people devoted to the deen, when ourselves are less than legs of ants in knowledge. What kibr, what arrogance?

Question: Would Muhammad sallAlaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam give appropriate due praise to a non-muslim for doing something good? Would he thank them for gifts or help they provided? or would he say, you kuffar, I don't want your goods, I don't want your help, don't talk to me, shuu shuu?

Islaam is the religion of the people of goodness, we have to strive to be worthy of our Rasul sallAlaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam who conveyed the message of Allah Ta'ala. Proper muamalat is important, it requires taqwa and wisdom.

waAllahu 'Alim.

May Allah forgive me if I said something wrong or unjustly made any brother or sister upset. I only want the best for the ummah.
If I did please release your burden from me and ask Allah to forgive me.

A Kashmiri

Sallamu Alaikum All brothers,

Let me reply to some brothers who have replied to my opinions.

Brother Bawar,

Please correct me where my opinions have been wrong. I think it is Fardh on you to correct me wherever you think that i am wrong and more necessarily my islamic beliefs if you think are contrary to Islams beliefs.

Yes Islam doesnt only aim for peace among muslims but among whole humanity, however Quran teaches us the way to peace with the non muslims which is given in Chapter 3,V-64 " O People of the book , come to common terms as between us and you , that we workship none other than Allah and associate no partners to him. As all religions semitic and non semitic , and aryan religions had a foundation bese on one ness of god but the followers went astray. In all these religions in their basic scriptures arrival of Last and the final Prophet Mohammed S.A.W is prophesised very clearly.

So peace among ourselves and the people of the faith can only be achieved by asking them to go back to their authentic and their oldest scriptures.

To say them that we love us so we will not correct you and telling them that Islam and your religion and beliefs system is same is infact misleading as the Islamic scholar has done. I am sure when non muslims will go back to their oldest and their holiest scriptures they will be closer to us, and will bring sustainable peace as Quran refers to " come to common terms as between us and you.... ".

As for as i think she failed misreably in potraying true islam in the ways she made her statements in a non muslim country.

Dear Sister Aisha,

If you read my post i request Turkish brothers to strive for correcting islamic beliefs in their society which itself gives shows that I am not of opinion that all Turkish brothers are not aware of true islamic beliefs. Alhamdullilah I know some Turkish brother myself who Alhamdullilah are very good muslims.

Dear MTYKK,

I think you should have believed that a Muslim will not fabricate a lie and accuse some other whether muslim or non muslim. Here is the link

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20080043522

I hope now you can see it yourself now.

2. I am not insulting a scholar but my blood boils to how she mis represented Islam and played with some very holy concepts and applied to a Kafir. She did not only mis presented Islam she also at the same time made the life of Indian Islamic scholars and preachers difficult as they are being targetted by indian media for defending correct beliefs of Islam. I dont want to discuss such issues here as there are many and will require a hundreds of pages to make you understand them. Any way i still ask Allah to forgive her and give her more strength to present correct islamic beliefs to others and most importantly to non muslims.

3. This point i dont want to say anything except that it is Allah who knows what is in heart of others...... But yes being a muslim I hate SHIRK which people do or actions and statements by muslims whcih are nothing more than to please people and more importantly non muslims instead of pleasing Allah and His messenger.

Brother Mohammed_A

Please do not quote me the Western historians who have always been biased in matters/ history which have been related to muslims in the world. If you want to know more about Mahatma from a muslim perspective please read the book " Khaq Aur Khoon " or the dust and Blood" written by historian and novalist - Naseem Hijazi which is banned in India and many other countries and you may inshallah get right and correct knowledge about Mahatma. At the end of his life and from 1946- 1947 he played dumb to ensure that interests of hindus are saved and muslims are killed and butchered.

Also want to comment your commentary of Ghandi about our Prophet S.A.W -Is there any other choice to a literate man whether muslim or not, not to acknowledge and admire the perfect Human Being and Last and Final messenger of Allah Mohammed and his Greatness. If Ghandi said something good about Prophet Mohammed S.A.W. it is not the greatness of Ghandi but it is the Greatness and perfection of our Prophet Mohammed S.A.W which speaks itself, for our Prophet he doesnt need words of any other man when Allah himself praises him in the best of the ways in Quran.

I hope i cleared some misunderstandings and believe me all brothers and sisteers i am ready for corrections.

Maasallama

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
Interesting topic.

Gandhi was indeed a great leader. His idea of peace is similer to the teaching of Islam.The point here is..... To admired someone is ok even a non-muslim but don't idolist him.

I also agree with MTYKK. In the ends it is Allah(SWT) who is the Judge.

Wasalam.......

A Kashmiri

Dear Brother MTMK

I believe you that Camelnur is well read islamic scholar, then i ask Allah to forgive her for misrepresnting islam, playing with islamic core teachings, trying to claim that all religions are same and lead to same thing etc etc even if she is well read in Islam.

Is this the way you spread the message of Islam that too in a country of 80% non muslims ? I am not disrespecting her as i have a right to question if i find statements which are totally against islamic beliefs.

Whether a muslim scholar misrepresents or a common muslim who is not a scholar it does matter, we have to correct both but yes with respect as it is our responsibility as muslims to correct each other whenever we find a muslim has incorrect beliefs or does acts which are not in line with islam. Infact an islamic scholar misrepresenting islam is more serious than I who is a common muslim.

You are once again accusing me of forging something to malign her which i believe you dont have a right to and you should apologise. Writting that "take a little piece of article without context " doesnt make her statements less serious, she infact has made very wrong statements about islam. I ask Allah to show her the correct path and power to represent islam in correct way.

Please dont put argument of Prophet Mohammed S.A.W. thanking or praising a non muslim it has nothing to do with this case.

May Allah forgive all of us and give us strength to spread islam in correct way .... Aamen

MTYKK

Banned
Brother Kashmiri, Alaykum Salaam, let me clarify my position as to there is no broken hearts between us, as that would devestate me.

1 - I never claimed you of forgery, simply said no context, no source provided for further inquiry and false attribution of position. That's not forgery. That's misunderstanding.

2 - That article doesn't say she said anything like, "All religions are the same" or "Muhatma is going to janna" or "Hinduism is great, you should seek true knowledge of Allah through Muhatma?" or "Muhatma never does any wrong"? You're simply seeing one thing and reading into it improperly.

3 - I know the Hindu problem is huge, and they've done our brothers and muslims many wrongs but how do you fix it? Let's insult Muhatma and see where that gets us? Let's insult the pope too. Let's also insult their belief in "God". Hmm, let's call everyone that's working to convey the message of Islaam misguided while we're at it. That should do it. That'll make people want to listed to RasulAllah sallallaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam. That'll make them love Islam.

Kashmiri, I have no reason to argue with you and I don't say learned people can not do wrong, that would be kufr to say. But it's not appropriate for us to judge their conclusions based on a translated document on an "indian" newspaper.

I keep seeing random posts here and there in this forum about Turks in general in this forum, they're mostly negative, unjustly. There was an another article around here about the Turkish Religious Authority revisiting hadith and it was represented as if Turks were wanting to "change Islam" taken from CNN, I posted the URL concerning the issue from the Turkish source, translated by Turks and the reality of the project and the posts stopped.

This applies for the Muslim nation as a whole, we should try to learn from Islaam (each other) instead of trying to find faults in every nuk and crack. And please don't tell me the Hadith of Rasul sallallaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam doesn't apply? What can I use? My limited knowledge of the Dunya and twisted Logic instead of the Sunna of the Beloved Rasul sallallaahu 'Alayhi wa sallam?

May Allah Jalla Jalaluhu forgive this umma of their sins, give us strength to subdue our nafs, give us part in growth of Islaam which is bound to be victorious, and best manners in conveying the message.

I really dislike arguing with a brother, I wish I had IMed you instead, but this attitude of calling everyone out needs to change into the maturity of the Sahaba and the pious Muslims who came after them if Muslims even want to dream about success, unity, or True Islam.

If you seek for my apology, I'm sorry to have even incited that will in your heart and I wish that you accept it and forgive.