A man is suing for what?!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

It's been a while since I posted anything on this forum. And I'd like to begin by saying I won't reply to any comments on this post for the reasons mentioned in the following link:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201385&postcount=1

It seems there's this gay man who was offended by some anti-gay passages in the Bible. So, what did he do about it?

He sued two Bible publishers, asking for 70 million dollars. Here's the news article from USA Today:

Religion News Service

CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A gay man is suing two heavyweight Christian publishers, claiming their versions of the Bible that refer to homosexuality as a sin violate his constitutional rights and have caused him emotional pain and mental instability.
Bradley LaShawn Fowler of Canton, Mich., is seeking $60 million from Zondervan, based in Cascade Township, and $10 million from Nashville-based Thomas Nelson Publishing.

Fowler filed the suit in federal court against Zondervan on July 7, the same day U.S. District Judge Julian Abele Cook Jr. refused to appoint an attorney to represent him in his case against Thomas Nelson.

Fowler filed a suit against Thomas Nelson in June. He is representing himself in both claims.

"The Court has some very genuine concerns about the nature and efficacy of these claims," the judge wrote.

Fowler, 39, alleges Zondervan's Bibles referring to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort and periods of "demoralization, chaos and bewilderment."

The intent of the publisher was to design a religious, sacred document to reflect an individual opinion or a group's conclusion to cause "me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder," Fowler wrote.

Fowler's suit claims Zondervan's text revisions from a 1980s version of the Bible included, and then deleted, a reference to homosexuality in 1 Corinthians without informing the public of the changes.

The other suit, against Thomas Nelson and its New King James Bible, mirrors the allegations made against Zondervan.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-07-09-gay-bible_N.htm

It's not my aim to defend Christianity. What I'm saying here is that this guy is suing these publishers for statements found in the scriptures of the Christians. In this case, he's suing against beliefs that are also found in Islam [i.e., that homosexuality is a sin].

It'll be interesting to see how the Court rules in this case.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
This world has gone mad. I don't think he will be successful though. Any ruling in his favour will be equal to a total ban on the bible.

There was this Dutch politician who wanted to ban the Qur'aan as well.

Salaam,

I'm happy to see you come around dear brother Bluegazer. You've been missed.

I'm anxious about the verdict of this case, especially since the court has processed it forward. A small case like this will become monumental in the Christian community and even the media.

A righteous & prudent judge would help elaborate and explain the reason why homosexuality is wrong so that that he could give up this grave sinful behavior. If Fowler wins the case then the judge is promoting homoesexuality, if Fowler loses then the judge is also promoting homosexuality! Either way, this judge is put in a dilemma.

The pretext "freedom of expression" is being tested here. Certainly this trial would not go far if the case was flipped in a Islamic court.

The church and it's pastors, priests, bishops have a history of keeping silent in these issues. I doubt they will talk because they probably are promoting homosexuality. This is a perfect opportunity for Muslims to give dawa at the court hearing.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

what i always tell people that are supportive of gay behavior, is that the gay community doesn't have the right to tell any religious group what they must believe; or change or reform their religion in order to fit their personal agenda. i tell them that we can never negotiate the sacred or make halal what is clearly haram.
:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam.

The man made a choice for his lifestyle. He is now blaming the world because the world condems his lifestyle. There is only one decision to be made...deal with it. However, too many judges and lawyers and the savy beautiful people with money are homosexuals so they will rule to fit themselves.

nori suja'i

thumb's up brother, do u know why M'sian authority banned non muslim from using Allah's name? - because
they dont want the muslim there be polluted to all the things that haram as happened in another neighbouring country.
about the M'sian goverment destroying the Hindu temples,
i did'nt mean to back them but when i was there on the why to KL in a train there were too many Hindu temple along the way at least one every few yards compared to
the masjid (moesque came from the word moesqueto - i
dont like to use this word).
the Hindu there are lucky anyway as the goverment already replaced their Hindu temple with the new one.

nori suja'i

thumb's up brother, do u know why M'sian authority banned non muslim from using Allah's name? - because
they dont want the muslim there be polluted to all the things that haram as happened in another neighbouring country.
about the M'sian goverment destroying the Hindu temples,
i did'nt mean to back them but when i was there on the why to KL in a train there were too many Hindu temples along the way at least one every few yards compared to
the masjid (moesque came from the word moesqueto - i
dont like to use this word).
the Hindu there are lucky anyway as the goverment there already replaced their Hindu temple with the new one.

Salaam,

It's true dear sister Mirajmom, affluent gays are fighting to spread their mischeif on earth. They have gay parades over the U.S every year. The media focuses on these groups, when in fact the biggest gathering in the world is in the heart of Mecca - of which many people don't know of this beautiful mass concourse of such diverse people from different countries, nationalities, races, social classes in order to form into ONE to worship The One.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Before suing publishers he should probably sue God for killing those "innocent" people of Lot (Sodom and Ghamora). :astag: :astag: :astag:
He can get a lot more money that way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

May Allah guide these people.

warda A

Sister
:salam2:

The world has gone mad
everyone wants to do what they want without having to account for it, under the guise of rights, if he is complaining so much those publishers will also say they have the right to print what they want.

MADNESS!