A new member who needs advice and understanding !!!!

emerald G

I 'm very happy that I found this site, it really has given me something to turn to lately.
I grew up in a Christian family who didn't practice the religion very much, so I eventually became an atheist.
But a few weeks ago I started to realize the emptiness of atheism, I now find that there has to be more to life that just matter...
Then I went to a lecture about Islam and that was when I really got interested, I truly felt that Islam could bring me answers and help me.
Then two weeks ago I learned that my best friend is about to die of cancer, it was such a shock that it changed my whole perceptive of life.
And now I seek information and advice in the Islamic community.

So if anyone could tell me where to start to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

muhammad.abdullah

May peace be with you sis

First of all i welcome you to this website. Here you can find plenty of brothers and sisters to help you of which i am a humble one myself. The best choice i guess to start reading about Islam is the Quran itself. It is the word of Allah Himself. You can get it any language that suits you most from here,

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4316&highlight=quran+languages

You will need adobe acrobat reader installed on your computer, in case you dont have it follow this link and then download and install it. You can get it free from here

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Plus there are various articles about the creed of Islam and the introduction to Islam if you traverse down the menu bar on the left of the screen on the home page of this website.

We are here to help.

:wasalam:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
salaam

welcome to tti, i'm sure that you'll find this site very welcoming. advice, hmm.... everyone here will have their own ideas for someone truly willing to look into islam with an open mind and open heart.

first, i say that you should read the quran.
second, when you're done with reading the quran, which usually take about six weeks; ask yourself whether or not if the message presented in the quran is truly what abraham,moses, david, jesus; peace be upon them were really teaching. you say that you have a christian background, so i believe since you have that background you'll ultimately come to the conclusion that all of these prophets and messengers were actually practicing islam, the submission to the one true god. and that the quran is the kitabullah, the book of Allah swt.

Drsalah_hanie

assalamo alikom,
i hope you find your way through this site and i recommend you 'video section' .
Islam is a way of life.
in Islam , you can understand clearly why you are created and how should you think and live to lead wonderful life.
Surely in Islam , you feel full happiness , peace of mind and calmness of soul.
I ask ALLAH to show you The Stright Path and cure your friend.Ameen.

small note; You did not find this site accidently but ALLAH (GOD) showed it to you .
ALLAH says in the "Holy Quran":
(Those whome ALLAH "in His plan" willeth to guide,-He openeth their breast to Islam.....)

peace be upon you and you welcome.

emerald G

thanks ... and more questions

Thanks to you all. I am amazed of how fast you have replied, i appreciate it.

In fact I did not mention it in my first post because I wanted to cut to the essential but I have in fact started to read the quran a week ago. And now I wonder is there a part of it that I should read first ... should I read it in a specific order?

If I eventually want to make contact with a local mosque, how do I do that? Can I call first? do I show up there? Who do I talk to?

I just wanted to say one more thing, to everyone who follows Islam, I admire the way God brings you together, the community and support for others that you have is very admirable.

samiha

---------
Staff member
In fact I did not mention it in my first post because I wanted to cut to the essential but I have in fact started to read the quran a week ago. And now I wonder is there a part of it that I should read first ... should I read it in a specific order?

The entire Quran is a source of guidance... so it doesn't matter where you read it from. (in my opinion of course )

You can even read it online: Read the Quran ONline

lol... perhaps a bit bigger than anticipated... but eyecatching eh? ;)

If I eventually want to make contact with a local mosque, how do I do that? Can I call first? do I show up there? Who do I talk to?

Well you could go to http://www.islamicfinder.org/ if you are living within the United States or Canada, and find details there.

Sure you can call... you can talk to the Imam, or someother woman there... depending on what kind of situation it is.

AND of course you can go to the mosque... You should feel very welcomed. (inshallah)

I just wanted to say one more thing, to everyone who follows Islam, I admire the way God brings you together, the community and support for others that you have is very admirable.

That's really sweet of you to say. That's because we're all an Ummah. A community of Muslims dedicated to worshipping Allah. :D My brothers and sisters in Faith... my dearest family. :)

And if it is not too brash, I would like to welcome you to this community as well... as a Sister in Islam... but that's all your choice and it is up to ALlah to guide.

Peace. :hijabi:

sugarbb

Assalammualaikum sister,

Alhamdulillah, for Allah has guided you, just like me, to find this website. And Insya'Allah i pray for you to open your heart toward Islam. Islam is a beautiful way of life for all mankind. Continue to learn more about Islam. You can always walk into a mosque & ask the people there or is there a muslim converts association centre in your area (like in my country). So those interested in Islam are welcome to learn more about Islam. Reading the Al Quran (with translations) is the best. You can also listen at www.quranexplorer.com (with translations in english). I will doa for you to be a muslim sister, InsyaAllah. May Allah guide us all towards jannah, InsyaAllah.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Hello Sister,

Welcome to the site. I pray that your friend is cured of cancer and May Allah show all people the right path.

For introductory content the links are already given by brothers and sister above. But I have some video content for your convenience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJylOTbWLVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHujiWd49l4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyboXCIVJY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5K9_639nrc

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brother+yusuf+adam

For understanding Qur'an with full context and explanation in video lectures:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=israr+ahmed+translation
(Start from first lesson)

And this is just inspirational:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=siraj+wahaj

Thanks for your time and attention. :)
Bye.

Welcome to TTI Emerald. I hope you find the site beneficial and rewarding. It's beautiful how Muslims from all over the world are all connected in here. Be patient and take your time. Read the Quran from the beginning to the end. Everytime I read it, I weep and cry because the words touches the heart like no other. Please don't hesistate to ask ANY questions that you may have.
Islam has no boundaries. Islam disregards race, color, origin, ethnicity. We are ALL brothers and sisters. Islam is not a country, langauge, a race, or group of people, rather it's a way of life and cherishing every day and moment and doing what the Creator has set for his creation to follow.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

Welcome. Allah has willed you to the path. He will direct you. He will bring Muslims and their knowldege to you. It is path...brick by brick you will grow wiser and stronger. Enjoy the many faces of your family. One thing that works for me is to goolge to top 100 muslim websites...that is an adventure.

justoneofmillion

hey hey hey! the family is getting bigger inschallah!! a warm welcome to you ask anything anything i said anything there are some brothers and sisters over here that can even bring you stuff about koalabears or goldfishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shake: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: wassalam

sinbad

emerald G

Thanks to you all

I thank you all very much, you have all been helpful to me.
I will explore the links that you have sent me and I will read more of the Quran.
I will come back surely with more questions!!

Islam feels so much more open to me (I have to admit that, I felt like because I don't know anyone closely in the Islamic community I couldn't access it) But I realize now that it's not because you have an Islamic background that you have the "chance" to know about this wonderful religion, It's because God wants to to know about it. So who ever you are, where ever you come form, only God can give you the strength of your faith and path.

Again, I'm amazed of how nice and opened you all are towards someone like me.
If there is one thing the World should learn is the strength of you're community (and hopefully mine soon).

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Hi Emerald,

Welcome to TTI!!! We`re happy to have you with us. The brothers and sisters ma sha Allah didn`t leave anything for me to add. I hope to hear good news from you soon (I`m not rushing you of course).:SMILY149:

:SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206: :SMILY206:

Bluegazer

Hello emerald G

Welcome to TurnToIslam. I hope you find this site and this forum informative and friendly.

Since you're alreaddy reading the Qur'an, all I could say is keep up the good work.

I also recommend that you read Bilal Philips' books "The Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism]" and "Salvation through Repentance".

Regards,

Bluegazer

hambaAllah

Dear Emerald

:SMILY206: to TTI
I'll pray that Allah swt will guide you to the right path. Maybe you could even read the Quran to your sick friend and who knows, Allah might also guide your friend to be a believer..all past sins forgiven,given a clean slate like a newborn.
Once u decide that Islam is the one for you or ur friend, do pls recite/says the shahadah for we wont know if there still a tomorrow for us

:hijabi: fm Singapore

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Alakum

Welcome to TTI,

Im really glad to hear that u want to learn about islam.

Insha Allah we can be much help to u and may allah grant us the ability to answer all ur questions in a way that will help u and show u the light to the right path.

If u have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask, we are all here a family.

Take care

basheerpkm

trying to be Mu'min
Hi Sister,

Welcome to TTI...You r onthe way to right path...
Insha Allah, you will reach soon...

With lot of prayers

emerald G

how to tell your family and friends??

Hi everyone, as some of you might know, I have been very interested in Islam lately.
However, not only will it affect me but also my family and my friends, I have not told anyone yet but one day I will have to.
I am wondering if I should tell them now that I'm getting interested in Islam or if I should wait until I make my shahada or at least until I'm more certain of what I'm getting into.

Emerald

justoneofmillion

i think you should manage to increase your knowledge about islam first so that youare a 100% confident of what you do and take a rational and logical approache to it`s teachings ,islam doesn`t recquire from you to believe blindy in contrary it challenges one`s sceptisme and doubts, it brings down ones ego graduatly until that person realises that there is a might that is much bigger than what human experience can relate to. when that happens there is no way to hide it it will appear anyways! beauty is not something to be buried alive it always flourishes in the presence of light!!!!!!

"AND IF YOU WERE IN DOUBT ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE REVEALED TO OUR SERVANT(PROPHET MUHAMMAD PBUH)THEN BRING FORTH A BOOK LIKE THE QURAN AND CALL YOUR WITNESSES(SCIENTISTES) TO PROUVE IT CONTRARY TO ALLAH
IF YOU CAN NOT AND YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO........." sura baqara 2:23

"ALLAH IS THE LIGHT OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH THE PARABLE OF HIS LIGHT IS AS IF THERE WERE A NICHE AND WITHIN IT A LAMP THE LAMP IS ENCLOSED IN A GLASS THE GLASS AS IF IT WERE A BRILLIANT STAR LIT FROM A BLESSED TREE AN OLIVE TREE NEITHER OF THE EAST NOR OF THE WEST WHOSE OIL IS WELL-NIGH LUMINOUS THOUGH FIRE SCARCE TOUCHED IT LIGHT UPON LIGHT ALLAH GUIDES TO HIS LIGHT WHOM HE WILLS AND ALLAH DOTH SET EXAMPLES FOR THE PEOPLE................"sura an noor 24:35

be nice to yor parents and answer them with the most beautiful and polite words see that is also a part of worshipping god help them more, and do good in school, so that they might notice a positive change in you and ask you automatically of what`s going on because remember that it is not what you say but what you do that counts

wait first let it grow! inschallah it will, you have been guided here for a reason wassalamu aleikum wa rahmatullah