a question about crime

aisha-uk

Salam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu

I got a question for u all and would prefer an answer with proofs, InshaAllah

If u know about some serious criminal activities, like drugs for an example...
Say that there is a guy, who lives down the street, next door or perhaps in the same building as you.. He sells drugs and is working with huge criminal organisations both within your own country and internationally. to top it up with he's a "muslim"...
Are u allowed to report him to the police??

I know of many who say that it is haram to report a fellow muslim, regardless if he's practising or not.. But when it's serious cases like this, i find it hard to believe that we can't report it? I mean these kind of persons are bringing drugs to the society and getting youngsters addicted to these drugs?

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
WARNING - personal opinion of a non-scholar to follow

I think you need to apply judgement. If this person was a member of my family then perhaps I will try to advice him first. If he is that deep into sin that actually he is actively causing harm to others then simple words may not do the job.

Correcting wrong doing is a duty for muslims. In an authentic hadith (Sahih Muslim), the prophet (pbuh) said: those of you who see munkar (wrong doing) should try and correct it with his hand, if he cant then with his tongue, if he cant then with his heart and this is the weakest grade of eiman (believing).

As for him being a muslim. I think in this particular instance stoping him from doing this is good for all, including himself. In an authentic hadith (Sahih Bukhari), the prophet (pbuh) said: help your fellow muslim, help him whether he is zalim (aggressor, causing injustice) or mazloom (the one who is being subjected to injustice). So one of the companions said: O' prophet of Allah (pbuh), I help him when is mazloom, but how shall I help him and he is zalim ? So the prophet (pbuh) said: by stopping him from doing injustice.

Although in Quran, Allah SWT says:
"Help you one another in Al-Birr and At-Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Severe in punishment." 5:2.

I'm not sure if inaction in the face of wrong deeds of others would apply to this verse.

I hope someone more knowledgable will be able to provide a more definite advice.

aisha-uk

Jazak Allahu Khair for ur answer

i have also read somewhere, ofcourse can't find it now, that we should not turn fellow muslims into kuffars hands.. basically not report them to the police as they are not muslims... regardless the crime..
Now i find this kind of hard to take in, as if someone was dealing with drugs,had raped or killed someone, i wouldn't be able to keep anything like that to myself, in fear of mine and my family's safety

croatian/jewconv

slave_of_Allah
Jazak Allahu Khair for ur answer

i have also read somewhere, ofcourse can't find it now, that we should not turn fellow muslims into kuffars hands.. basically not report them to the police as they are not muslims... regardless the crime..
Now i find this kind of hard to take in, as if someone was dealing with drugs,had raped or killed someone, i wouldn't be able to keep anything like that to myself, in fear of mine and my family's safety

what kinda muslim is he when he is a crackhead??????
who cares if hes a muslim...who cares if hes pink....hes a criminal...................
turn him in

drugs are good for nothing

I pray Allaah(swt) forgives him and guides him

aisha-uk

Alhamdulillah i'm not in this situation, it's more of an hypotetical question, i had a discussion about this, but i can't find anything on it, that's why i turn to u all, in hope to find an answer, InshaAllah :)

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Alhamdulillah i'm not in this situation, it's more of an hypotetical question, i had a discussion about this, but i can't find anything on it, that's why i turn to u all, in hope to find an answer, InshaAllah :)

Alhamdulilah !!!
Thank god it is an hypothetical question.....

aisha-uk

Yes Alhamdulillah.. But in the kind of world we are living in at the moment, u don't know what u will end up with, so i think it's good to be prepared, even if it's unlikely to happen

lol i thought i had spelled it wrong, never mind, will remember it next time, InshaAllah

Love my islam

:salam2:
Alhumdulilah this was a hypothetical sitiuation. But I was in a similiar sitiuation once and its hard.
I work in a retail store. There was this muslim kid who would always brag about how he ripps people off at his masjid's book store. I would try and explain that its not right but he would argue that he is doing it for masjid. One evening I noticed few young kids shopping. They had their cart full of all kind of stuff mostly brand name clothing and footwear. At that time my young associate was on his break. I called him asked him to watch these kids when he gets back from his break. When he got back from his break he went on cash and two of those kids went to his register with half of their stuff to pay. Others stayed away and went to him later. I hovered around him but he didnt seem nervous, he was relaxed. But it was bothering me. Something didnt seem right. I couldnt sleep properly that night, I was kept praying for him and was also wondering if I should mention this to the management.
Next day I was working he was there too, so was the top lost prevention guy. Police was called and he was taken away. Apperently they have been watching him for a while and this was evidence enough to charge him. He has been free baging for his friends. I was so sad that day I cried and prayed for him and his family.

May Allah guide us and our children to the right path. Ameen.

arabiantxn

:wasalam:
Alhumdulilah this was a hypothetical sitiuation. But I was in a similiar sitiuation once and its hard.
I work in a retail store. There was this muslim kid who would always brag about how he ripps people off at his masjid's book store. I would try and explain that its not right but he would argue that he is doing it for masjid. One evening I noticed few young kids shopping. They had their cart full of all kind of stuff mostly brand name clothing and footwear. At that time my young associate was on his break. I called him asked him to watch these kids when he gets back from his break. When he got back from his break he went on cash and two of those kids went to his register with half of their stuff to pay. Others stayed away and went to him later. I hovered around him but he didnt seem nervous, he was relaxed. But it was bothering me. Something didnt seem right. I couldnt sleep properly that night, I was kept praying for him and was also wondering if I should mention this to the management.
Next day I was working he was there too, so was the top lost prevention guy. Police was called and he was taken away. Apperently they have been watching him for a while and this was evidence enough to charge him. He has been free baging for his friends. I was so sad that day I cried and prayed for him and his family.

May Allah guide us and our children to the right path. Ameen.

:wasalam: what a shame i feel sorry for his family

turn the crackhead in mercilessly cause ur breaking the law of that country by not reporting him in n i read it i THINK that u should respect the law of the country ur living in

aisha-uk

turn the crackhead in mercilessly cause ur breaking the law of that country by not reporting him in n i read it i THINK that u should respect the law of the country ur living in

yes that's one thing, BUT if this dealer is with a large gang, which are dealing internationally, that means u will not be safe and they will be able to get to u on way or another...

Salika

~mUsLiMaH~
yes that's one thing, BUT if this dealer is with a large gang, which are dealing internationally, that means u will not be safe and they will be able to get to u on way or another...

report it as anonymous....but then again, it was a hypothetical question. No worries ;)