Abbreviations in Islam

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Salaamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuh

There seems to be a common habit amongst people, who have become lazy when it comes to a basic principle in islam when it comes to giving salams to other fellow muslims.

Islam is a religion that calls for activity and action and fights against laziness and procrastination. Laziness is one of the diseases that Islam abhors and the Prophet of Islam sought Allah's protection and refuge against. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.’'

Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min al-`ajzi wa al-kasal wa al-jubni wa al-bukhl wa a`udhu bika min munkarati al-akhlaqi wa al-ahwa’

As muslims we are to be commended for our keen desire to get rid of our negative habits and acquire positive and Eeman Boosting habits.

Shaytaan attempts to make people negligent causes them to be lazy and delay performing good deeds

Shaytan has ways of dealing with it, either by inclining (people) towards falling short and being negligenc. He does not care what mistakes a person makes. So he may come to a person's heart and check it out, and if he finds that he is lazy, negligent and looking for concessions, then he goes along with that. He holds him back and stops him from doing things; he makes him lazy, indifferent and negligent, and encourages him to seek alternative interpretations and hope for forgiveness etc., until a person may give up doing all things that have been enjoined.

Iwould just like to share a post below that taken from fatwa-online.com that explains what the scholars have to say about abbreviations in Islam

===========================================================================

One of the common practices used today through articles in books and on the net and often seen in Paltalk chat rooms is the abbreviations of both the salaam and other supplications such as (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) to (S) or (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) or the like here is a fatwa of the Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa'imah that should insha'Allaah be sufficient to discourage us from these and other abbreiviations that we use today such as 786 instead of bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem and others.

Question: Is it permissible to write the letter (S) [Saad] instead of (writing) ((sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)), and why?

Response: The Sunnah is to write the entire phrase ((sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)) - since it is a supplication; And the supplication is a (form of) worship, such as verbally saying it (the phrase), and the abbreviation for it using the letter (S) [Saad] or (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) [Saad 'Ayn Waaw] (or (SAAW) or the like) is not (constitute) a supplication, and nor a (form of) worship, whether it be by speech or writing. And because of this, this abbreviation was not used by those of the first three generations about whom the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) bore witness to their excellence.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -

Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez Ibn Abdullaah Ibn Baaz;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa., - Volume 12, Page 208, Question 3 of Fatwa No.5069

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuhu

JazaakAllaahu khayra, I made a similar (but far more informal) thread about that here: This is cool

Perhaps some advice could be given regarding this last question I had there?

>> I've had this problem up till recently too (with sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and am trying to work out of it. I must ask though then as a serious note - what do you do when you're at a lecture and taking notes and writing out sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam takes the bit of time and you end up missing points? Is it better to miss points, or is it okay to abbreviate or rather even say it outloud and not write it? I haven't gotten a chance to ask someone about this yet...

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Wa`alaykumassalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu

Good reminder. Could you also post about using short cuts for Assalamu`alaykum like some people use Asak, Salam, salaams, Aswrwb...

I know only of this from a student of knowledge.

': If someone only greets you with the words "Salaam" then do not greet them back, rather let them know it's not an Islaamic greeting (i.e. they should instead say assalaamu alaikum) (Aadaab ash-Sharee'ah v. 1 p. 436)[

I also heard that when your in a lecture where the name of the Prophet (sallaahu`alayhi wassalam) is mentioned multiple times it okay to mention (sallaahu`alayhi wassalam) once in whole of the lecture.

USE of ABBREVIATIONS

I received a text message from a sister this morning and she greeted me with the customary greeting. When I responded, I wrote WAS. She then asked what they was and I told her it was the abbreviation for wa alaykum as-salaam. She then admonished me and said that we are not to abbreviate as it becomes something else. Is this true in this instance. If so, please provide proof. I am a new shahadah and there are so many things I don't know. Shukran.