About my family....

allmuslimsrequal

:salam2: Hello brothers and sisters.
Perhaps by asking this question I can help out some other people who suffer the same problem.

My family hates the fact that I converted to Islam- especially my grandparents and my younger brother. My mother has come to understand me but ignores the topic and avoids it at all costs. I answer their terrible questions (which are sometimes rude) and I know that they say terrible things about me behind my back, and they laugh at me. It hurts.

I do not live with them but the ties have been broken. It has been years.
What to do in a situation like this?

Is patience the only way?
My family is Sicilan, and religious.
The funny thing is: that Palermo, Sicily used to be the 'city of 300 mosques' centuries ago. And that is where we are from. It is funny how alien Islam has become to us even after such a rich history.

I would love to hear the stories of other converts, who had to deal with this inescapable issue. Or I would love to hear opinions from Muslims who can imagine themselves in such a situation, as our families are important to us-- but Allah can not be denied no matter what.

Thankyou. Masalam.
:blackhijab: sis sara

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alalikum sis,

Jazakallaahu Khayr for sharing your story. I am sure you're not the only one experiencing the same issue, Insha Allaah everything will be alright, just continue making du'a for your family that they may be guided by Allaah swt some day ameen. Just be patient sister. Barakallaahu Feek!

umm hussain

im a revert as well

Asalam alaikum sis, I had the same problem with my family as well, especially my mum, she said so many hurtful things and she even said I am no longer her daughter and has totally disowned me, and doesn't want anything to do with me and she was going to kill herself etc. She is Catholic, so i was raised as such, she said so many things to my extended family as well, At that point in time I had just accepted Islam so I didn't know any better and i just said to her if that's what you want then fine, we had a heated argument and i wasn't speaking to her, I mean this is how I used to react to her before islam anyway. The thing is after that argument she phoned the next day when she had calmed down, i hadn't really calmed down yet because you don't expect to hear such things from a parent especially a mum, any way she phoned to tell me that I shouldn't speak like that to her she was just emotional and i should know better as a daughter to back down and be humble, but she didn't raise me that way, even though she is Catholic she follows a lot of tradition as well and she is okay with dating etc, so she doesn't exactly practice what she preaches.

I am from Africa but at the moment i am living in England, so i really havent had the chance to meet the rest of my family(extended family) since I have reverted, i reverted in this country and i am dreading going back because I feel they are going to stress me, My aunties i.e my mums' sisters I'm sure are all waiting for the opportunity to have a go at me, my mum asked me to phone one of my aunts but I knew what she wanted to talk to me about, so i just didn't phone and I avoid phoning a lot of my family because I don't want the stress. My sisters' and brothers are alright alhamdulillah, they have the attitude that as long as what you are doing isn't going to affect us just go ahead but they can be easily influenced when my mum starts crying, she puts on a really 'good' act which wins the hearts of many but drives me crazy, If it wasn't for the respect i have to give my parents due to Islam i wouldn't be talking to her anymore but Alhamdulillah when I speak to her I don't mention Islam because that is what we agreed because it upsets her too much, so we are back on talking terms now.

The sad thing is haven't even told my dad I'm Muslim,but I'm sure he already knows from my mum, I don't want to have a confrontation on the phone, i would love to speak to him face to face or get my husband to speak to him, my husband is a revert as well, he took shahada about 3 months before I did and my dad tends to listen to him more, at the same time I know he can die anytime and it will be sad if i don't tell him about islam. My mum will be there as well so she has such an influence over him, so I don't know what to do.

I have asked another brother who is close to my dads' age to tell him a bit about Islam and he said my dad was listening and he has an open mind, I might send him some books but my mum will probably put them in the bin, she threatened my sister after I sent her some books telling her that if she decides to follow islam she will have to leave her house , and come live with me and she will not pay her school fees anymore so my sister was 'scared' to disappoint her even though she was disappointing them anyway by leaving the house going out with a boyfriend they didn't approve of, double standards isn't it?

I have to also avoid visiting relatives even though we have to keep family ties, because they are going to be drinking alcohol, listening to music, free mixing, for e.g my sis was expecting me to come to her house on 25th December and she was trying to trick me like she did last time but i said no and Inshallah I will visit her after the new year celebrations and I have made it clear to her that if she wants me to visit her, she or her husband shouldn't drink in our presence, it didn't go down well with her because she said if she comes to my house she understands she cant bring any alcohol but why shouldn't she drink in her own house i should respect her decision since it's he house. I simply said the ball is in your court if you want me to come, you have to respect my religion because I do not want the children to be in an unIslamic environment, so alhamdulillah she will put the alcohol and music away inshallah. That reminds me I will have to confirm with her before i ago because i don't want to travel all that way and end up coming back, she Lives a 6hr drive away from me. I guess sometimes if they see how strong you are in your faith they will eventually back down, because we have to remember since they are not muslims the Shaytan is definitely playing a major role in what they end up saying to make you turn away from the religion

Sis i think this is a big test we as reverts have to go through, the only thing i can say is be patient make a lot of dua for Allah to make things easy for you and us.

Believer

Salamun Aleykum,
Sis. Sara, no matter how much we try to imagine what you reverts are going through, only Allah (SWT) and yourself will ever know.
It's really sad when you don't have support from people it's even more saddening when you have no support from family. Alhamdulilah I was born into a Muslim family who understands and supports me, but just imagining losing touch with them truly breaks my heart. Sometimes you can't blame your parents, I mean it will be the same devastation for my parents if I converted to Christianity (May Allah forbid, and guide us through the right path), and sometimes you just wish they knew better. And InshaAllah, Allah will shed some light for them towards Islam.
All the hardship that you guys go through now, will InshaAllah pay off in Akhira. It is good to see that you guys know to keep strong and that sheytan is constently there to confuse you. I hope your faith is and will be strong enough to fight it. Ameen!
All I can say is stay strong and never give up in what is true (Islam). The stronger your Iman gets the harder it will be for the sheytan to get to you. At least you know that at the end of the day there is something that you can turn to and seek help from, and Allah will always be there! Never lose trust in the All Mighty and Most Merciful, Allah.

Wa Aleykumus Selam

My prayers are with you!

:salam2: Your stories made me sad. And i thank Allah that i did not have to face such things since i am a born muslim. But even we have problems sometimes. I had mine when i decided to wear Hijab. For the past 1 year that was the only thing anybody talked about in my presence.It almost made me feel like pulling my hair. But alhamdulillah the dust has settled now. And my mom has acccepted it now. Deep down she was just worried that how i will get married if i wore hijab. The funny thing is that both my grandmothers one wore a naqab and the other wore hijab. Lolllll.

Noor to shine

:salam2: brothers and sisters:
I think that for those who have stronger faith the trial will be harder ...so this mean Alhamdu liAllah that you have strong faith so stick to it.
:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:

allahsservant

beautifl muslimah
alhamdullilah

alhamdullilah my parents didnt disown me, but they werent very happy that i decided to convert. i am 16 and live with my parents. i am patiently waiting until i turn 18 to fully practice Islam, but i am still praying and visiting websites like this one.....................:ma: :tti_sister:

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
Salamaalikum.

Use your preyer, preying is very powerfull. Allah loves people who asks, and InshaAllah gives whatever asked. :tti_sister:

faiz_fauzi

May ALLAH give u strength and guide u to the righ path.All the converts be strong and stay strong.It is just a test from ALLAH and if u handle it with lot and lot of patience u will find the ALLAH will always be by ur side.

Nur Sarah

I at least had my father on my side who i converted after with...however i had to pay a price of my biological mothers side..i have not spoken to them in almost 5 years...and i spent half of my life with them...its sad...but my prayers get me through the day...and my iman grows stronger with every blessing and test....:wasalam: :ma:

faiz_fauzi

Keep on praying and dun give up.InsyaALLAH one day they will realize that islam is everything, and perfect.InsyaALLAH!be strong and stay strong!