About women wearing a Hijab

safaa27

Asalaam Alikum,

Does it say in the Qur'an that were are suppose to wear a Hijab, I do wear a Hijab ever since I reverted. I see alot of women not wearing it I ask why they dont some say " im not ready " (which I respect that). Some say " we are not suppose attract other people and wearing one does ". My point of view about wearing a hijab is; that I want to be know for who I am not for what I look like. I want people to see my inner beauty not the physicall things. Id say if I was wearing tight clothes and my hair all out that mean im trying to attract other men or im not going to get that much respect from other right? thats why muslim women usually gets dressed and pretty for their husbunds at home. I just wonder why other muslim dont wear it? at all what are their other reasons?

p.s. sorry I just want to know more about the reason wearing a hijab.

Salaam,
Safaa

DataZak

Asalaam Alikum,

thats why muslim women usually gets dressed and pretty for their husbunds at home. I just wonder why other muslim dont wear it? at all what are their other reasons?

Salaam,
Safaa

Waalaikum Salam,

Some muslimah don't wear the hijab because, as you said in your post, they are not ready. Some don't wear it because they no intention of wearing it. They love to show off their hair and their bodies. These are women who subscribe to VOGUE and Cosmopolitan magazines. They also give reasons such as, "It makes my head hot. I don't want to sweat" or "Just because a woman wears a hijab doesn't mean she's a pious Muslim".

You wrote something interesting which is why I quoted it above. Women are supposed to look pretty only for their husbands. That's why they must cover themselves (except their faces and hands) when they go out because strangers are not permitted to admire the women's beauty. Only the husband can do that.

One reason there is such a high rate of divorce is because today's woman make up their faces for their friends and bosses at work but don't bother to do the same when they are at home. Imagine a tired husband coming home from work and sees his wife looking like Medusa! No wonder they end up divorced!

Islam says show your beauty to your husband and cover up for everyone else. That way, the husband's eyes won't wander towards other women and the wife doesn't attract undue attention from strangers. Result = a stable and happy household insyaallah!

The west hates hijab because there is no need for the women to buy make-up and lipstick and all that since she's covered up. The cosmetics companies stand to lose billions if women throughout the world start covering themselves when they go out.:SMILY335:

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Yes sister, it is in the Qur'aan. If you look at Surah an-Nur Ayah number 31 - the translation of the meaning, it says:

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their head coverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful."

Some Scholars have interpreted certain words differently - and there is also further explanation given as to 'what is apparent' but as can clearly be seen, Allaah does give the command for women to cover themselves within the Qur'aan. Also in Surah Ahzaab ayah 59 - the translation states:

"O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outer garments (jilbabs) close around themselves; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle."

Therefore it is impossible to say it wasnt declared in the Qur'aan. As for the reason why some people don't cover, I think ukhti, that's a hard thing to say, because for every person it's different.

I remember at one time when I was young and just starting out what made it difficult for me was living in a mainly non-Muslim society and thereby feeling certain societal pressures to conform, just to at times avoid the difficulties which reside in being 'different'. Also I think it has to do with a lack of Imaan, as Hijaab is not really just an outer garment.

It's not just for modesty, not just to avoid being pre-judged, yes these are often causes that arise from wearing Hijaab, but what it really is - is an act of Submission. It is obedience to Allaah, an act of worship and da'wah. We love Allaah and know what He ordains is best for us, we fear Him, and the punishment of disobedience, and so we adhere to our actions.

It's not a fickle way of feeling, that it's just a choice. Because if it were just a choice, it could be changed without much consequence. Like whether I'll have cereal or waffles for breakfast. But it is a determination and belief driven by obeying the one who created us. And for this I think it's really beautiful. Times change, people change, fashions change, but our faith, our Deen does not!

Due to that, I believe one of the basic components of not wearing hijaab, is not understanding the religion properly. That is - and I must emphasize - for those who have the ability to wear it without hindrance and continue not to do so. I know certain revert sisters however who are placed in great difficulty in regards to hijaab due to their families. And for them the case may be different, Allaah knows best!

May Allaah bring ease into their situations and help us retain and increase our Imaan, so that we too may more fully obey Allaah and His commands. Ameen

wasalam

mosabaig

Hijab is modesty.

:salam2:

The life is a test of our belief, we do not see hereafter we only see this life, we human are weak and we can make wrong decsions. The most merciful Allah revealed to us how we can successfully pass our tests and to make us understand better gave us people who were certified to have successfully passed all the most difficult of tests we can imagine. We just have to make them our guide and not those who follow their desires and are weak in their faith. Our faith as human goes up or down due to situation we are in so donot follow everyone or anyone we consider good muslim rather follow Quran and Sunnah.

kayleigh

I don't wear it because I don't feel I'm ready for it, and I know I am modest without having to cover my hair (to me, that is the most important part of hijab - covering your body). However, I don't deny that wearing hijab (as in, the headscarf) is an Islamic teaching.

It bugs me when people act like you either wear correct hijab or you wear tight, revealing clothes and there is nothing in between. That isn't reality. Most people fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

It used to bug me when people gave me grief about not covering my hair, but now it is easy to ignore. Everyone can make decisions for themselves.

Miss Aaliyah

Assalamo alaykom,

In my opinion I see "I'm not ready" and "Hijab attracts attention which is not the purpose" as simply bad excuses for not wearing it. Hijab is obligatory, there is no reason to not wear it and we shall all do no matter what. No matter if it is easy or not. It wasn't easy for me, it wasn't easy for many other sisters, nobody says life is easy. But it's a jihad to have hijab. And a correct hijab.
Even if in a Western country, mostly, the hijab attracts attention - also walking with no hijab makes people look at you. And which is the best then, it is to cover and let people see because what they see is a covered woman and all they see is the covering. If you decide to uncover what they see is your body and not any cover. So it's a really bad excuse to just fit in in the society.
And never forget the prophet Mohammad's (saaws) words that the one who imitates a people, belongs to it.