Adam & Eve - How did the name Eve come about?

BigAk

:salam2:

In Islam she's called Hawa'a... So, where did the name Eve come from ??

Thanks for the info.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Akhi I found this...I don't know if it answers your questions exactly like you wanted..but inshallah it will help somehow

From the Hebrew name חַוָּה (Chavvah), which was derived from the Hebrew word חוה (chavah) "to breathe" or the related word חיה (chayah) "to live". In the English-speaking world both Eve and the Latin form Eva were revived in the 19th century.

:wasalam:

BigAk

Akhi I found this...I don't know if it answers your questions exactly like you wanted..but inshallah it will help somehow

From the Hebrew name חַוָּה (Chavvah), which was derived from the Hebrew word חוה (chavah) "to breathe" or the related word חיה (chayah) "to live". In the English-speaking world both Eve and the Latin form Eva were revived in the 19th century.

Hmmm... Interesting.. What is the name used in the bible?

palestine

Servant of Allah
i've heard shaykh khalid yasin in the lecture "the purpose of life", explaining the name hawa which he said means Feelings. however i do not know of the name eve, how it came to be. Asalamu alaykum wrwb. they probably just made it up. you will see all kind of ironic names in this world that have absolutely no link or meaning to what they're naming.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Hmm, interesting. Jazak Allah khair a_muslimah86

Wa Iyyaki Ukhti..glad I was of help :)

Hmmm... Interesting.. What is the name used in the bible?

Well...I asked my father who had read the Bible in Arabic...

He said in the Arabic Bible..*Hawa'a* is used..and Arab Christians use it when they speak of her and all...

So that's a sure thing...

Now I made a few quick searches..it seems that (according to my understanding)...

In the Hebrew Bible...*Havvah* is *actually* used!..

In the information I posted..you see *ch* (sometimes even *kh*) used...and that is just to symbolize the strong throaty sound of the *h* in the name *Havvah*...

Anyway..getting back on topic...

Now...in my quick research to know what form of the name was used in the *Greek texts* of the New Testament...as that is their original language...I found the following on the name *Zoe*..."meaning life in Greek"

Turns out..the *meaning* (and NOT the pronounciation) of the name *Havvah* (which essentialy means "life" in Hebrew) was adopted by Hellenized Jews in ancient Greece..and they used it in the Greek New Testament in Gen 3:20..in connection to *Eve* specifically...

Because the *word zoe* is used as *vocabulary* in other places in the NT to signify..."Life 'collectively', interdependent, interconnected in its temporal and eternal sense"..but when it comes to the name...Zoe is still used...

So you see...it takes a bit to get to the conclusion...but at the end we can say that...

The Arabic Bible Uses ---> Hawa'a
The Hebrew Bible Uses ---> Havvah/Chavvah/Khavvah
The Greek Bible Uses ---> Zoe

I am sorry for the lengthy explanation..but I wanted to give supporting information for the answer I was going to give :)

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

After researching.. i dicovered that "Eve" and "Hawa'a" are of different languages, but have the same meaning ( meaning life, or live..).

Allah almight taught Adam peace be upon him the names of all creatures to be, So he gave her the name Hawa'a based on what Allah Almight tought him.

(Surat Al-Baqara 2) And He taught Adam all the names (of everything) [], then He showed them to the angels and said, "Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful." (31) They (angels) said: "Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except what you have taught us. Verily, it is You, the All-Knower, the All-Wise." (32) He said: "O Adam! Inform them of their names," and when he had informed them of their names, He said: "Did I not tell you that I know the Ghaib (unseen) in the heavens and the earth, and I know what you reveal and what you have been concealing?" (33)

BigAk

Wa Iyyaki Ukhti..glad I was of help :)

Well...I asked my father who had read the Bible in Arabic...

He said in the Arabic Bible..*Hawa'a* is used..and Arab Christians use it when they speak of her and all...

So that's a sure thing...

Now I made a few quick searches..it seems that (according to my understanding)...

In the Hebrew Bible...*Havvah* is *actually* used!..

In the information I posted..you see *ch* (sometimes even *kh*) used...and that is just to symbolize the strong throaty sound of the *h* in the name *Havvah*...

Anyway..getting back on topic...

Now...in my quick research to know what form of the name was used in the *Greek texts* of the New Testament...as that is their original language...I found the following on the name *Zoe*..."meaning life in Greek"

Turns out..the *meaning* (and NOT the pronounciation) of the name *Havvah* (which essentialy means "life" in Hebrew) was adopted by Hellenized Jews in ancient Greece..and they used it in the Greek New Testament in Gen 3:20..in connection to *Eve* specifically...

Because the *word zoe* is used as *vocabulary* in other places in the NT to signify..."Life 'collectively', interdependent, interconnected in its temporal and eternal sense"..but when it comes to the name...Zoe is still used...

So you see...it takes a bit to get to the conclusion...but at the end we can say that...

The Arabic Bible Uses ---> Hawa'a
The Hebrew Bible Uses ---> Havvah/Chavvah/Khavvah
The Greek Bible Uses ---> Zoe

I am sorry for the lengthy explanation..but I wanted to give supporting information for the answer I was going to give :)

Sister muslimah, thank you very much for sharing your research and data. You have satisfied my curiosity. I appreciate your help. :D

Salam alaikum

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Adam's wife is the name for her, which is known in the Qur'an. And name her Hawaa could means negative doesn't it? Because if then become Ahwa' means wordly desire and lust.
If you want to talk about her then you'll say that she was also made of "dust," because Adam ribs was made from dust.

Adam's wife is not her name, but saying that her name is Eve or Hawa got no reliable source from Al Qur'an and Al Hadits, and many Ulama who said this, had warn about looking to Bible once you become Muslim.

Even Umar bin Khattab got a warning from Rasulullah because he was reading TAURAT.

Akhi

You said that the name of Hawa'a...has no basis in the hadith..and that is incorrect...a few weeks ago...I came across a fatwa asking about where *the name Hawwa'a* is mentioned in the Qura'an..and the answer was..she was never mentioned in the Qura'an..but it *was* mentioned in The Sunnah...

And the name Hawa'a...would not turn to "Ahwa'a"...*desire and lust*...like you said...things don't work that way..we're talking about a "language" here...and more importantly...a language which focuses on the pronounciation...quite literally...of every single letter in any given word!

The name Hawwa'a حواء comes from the word Hawa حوى..which in Arabic means..."what contains" (i.e. a basin..a bucket..a bowl..etc.)..

Hawwa'a...means..."she which contains"

Clearly..the meaning of Hawwa'a signifies her position being a source of "giving birth to life"..being "the mother of all mankind" or more specifically the "the womb which contained life"!!!

The Arabic definition of the name as you can see..is even more specific than that of the Hebrew..which is where the name first appeared!

As for the 'Ulama'a...

I have listened to 'Ulama'a from all sorts of madh'habs...from the most strict..to the most relaxed...and sobhanallah...when referring to women...many times they will actually say "banatu Hawwa'a" (daughters of Hawwa'a) or "ya bintu Hawwa'a" (O' daughter of Hawwa'a)..as a title of kindness and respect...and when referring to creation altogether..the creation of Adam & Eve specifically..and topics of the like...they say "Hawwa'a" without a slight hesitation..or warning about its use..

I trust that with *their* knowledge..they would know whether or not the name Hawwa'a is right or wrong to use...wouldn't you agree???

As for the reference of dust...I don't know how that relates to the naming of Hawwa'a...but I won't discuss it..in case I have misunderstood you..

Also...in reference to reading the Bible and the Torah comment...this matter is allowed if one is dictated to read it for research or study..
.and not only for entertainment and the like...and this claim is coming from a fatwa by Al-Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen (rahimahuallah)...

And the other day I listened to a Shaikh who actually grabbed a Bible out of the hands of a preacher and read into it a little before he preached Islam to him...and since you are particular about Salafiyah...believe it or not..the Shaikh is Salafi :)

I personally did not refer to the bible in my research...I only worded my search questions in a way so I can get to the information I needed...I didn't even get the information from a "christian" or "jewish" source ironically..they came from independent sources specializing in Etymology...and in case you noticed that I mentioned my father reading the bible...he works in a field which dictates knowledge in a wide spectrum of subjects and topics..so he reads anything that will help him with that matter...