Advanced geometry of Islamic art

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
[img=left]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42605000/jpg/_42605245_design203ap.jpg[/img]Advanced geometry of Islamic art
- BBC News Article

A study of medieval Islamic art has shown some of its geometric patterns use principles established centuries later by modern mathematicians. Researchers in the US have found 15th Century examples that use the concept of quasicrystalline geometry.
This indicates intuitive understanding of complex mathematical formulae, even if the artisans had not worked out the underlying theory, the study says.
The discovery is published in the journal Science.
The research shows an important breakthrough had occurred in Islamic mathematics and design by 1200.
"It's absolutely stunning," Harvard's Peter Lu said in an interview.

"They made tilings that reflect mathematics that were so sophisticated that we didn't figure it out until the last 20 or 30 years."
The Islamic designs echo quasicrystalline geometry in that both use symmetrical polygonal shapes to create patterns that can be extended indefinitely.
Until now, the conventional view was that the complicated star-and-polygon patterns of Islamic design were conceived as zigzagging lines drafted using straightedge rulers and compasses.
"You can go through and see the evolution of increasing geometric sophistication. So they start out with simple patterns, and they get more complex," Mr Lu added.
He became interested in the subject while travelling in Uzbekistan, where he noticed a 16th Century Islamic building with decagonal motif tiling.
Mr Lu, who designs physics experiments for the International Space Station, was in the region in order to visit a space facility in Turkmenistan.
Islamic art traditionally uses a mixture of calligraphy, geometric and floral designs because of a prohibition on the portrayal of the human form.

1.jpg

IslamicPearl

Isnt it amazing? the whole humanity blames muslims yet they r the first in math and many many other things....too blind to see it or too blinded by power to recognise it?

BlueFish

Hello,
Islamic design is amazing to me! I think it is silly how the sciences take so long to make a connection with the wonderful world of artistic design.
I have a question though. I am an artist, i have had the talent all my life. Studied several forms of mediums. My question is when the human form is phorbiden from the design, is it because Islam phorbids idol worship?
I can understand that, but i can't imagine myself painting a picture and then hanging it on my wall so i can bow down and pray to it. That would be ridiculous! I am courious what islam says about creative expression. I stay in the
state of mind that my creative imagination was a creation of Allah. I love those world inside world sinerios. Oh, by the way islamic design is what atracted me to islam. It is so very honest and bold.Thank You!
Peace.

Globalpeace

Banned
Islamic Architecture & design

Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Islamic Architecture & design has flourished for centuries (& still does) without drawing animate objects; so it is obviously possible

In Europe most of the Art is centered around human body (or animate objects); while in East, even in Non-Muslim cultures (except Hindu'ism) its the other way around (similar to Islamic art).

Hello,
Islamic design is amazing to me! I think it is silly how the sciences take so long to make a connection with the wonderful world of artistic design.
I have a question though. I am an artist, i have had the talent all my life. Studied several forms of mediums. My question is when the human form is phorbiden from the design, is it because Islam phorbids idol worship?
I can understand that, but i can't imagine myself painting a picture and then hanging it on my wall so i can bow down and pray to it. That would be ridiculous! I am courious what islam says about creative expression. I stay in the
state of mind that my creative imagination was a creation of Allah. I love those world inside world sinerios. Oh, by the way islamic design is what atracted me to islam. It is so very honest and bold.Thank You!
Peace.

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams

Jazak'allah khair for very interesting article. Masha'allah! I found this site recently too if anyone wants to find out more about some of the fantastic acheivements of our Ummah! www.muslimheritage.com Check it out!
:SMILY209:
Salaams

p.s. feel very inspired to try and do some Islamic Art of my own now - though dont think I will be as good as this! :)

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Great web-site for information & I urge all to attend some of the Road-Shows that they do in the UK...

As I recommended to some sisters who are teacher-training; must go if you get one in your area!

Masha'Allah! Sister...Great work

Salaams

Jazak'allah khair for very interesting article. Masha'allah! I found this site recently too if anyone wants to find out more about some of the fantastic acheivements of our Ummah! www.muslimheritage.com Check it out!
:SMILY209:
Salaams

p.s. feel very inspired to try and do some Islamic Art of my own now - though dont think I will be as good as this! :)

BlueFish

Asslamo Allaikum Brother,

Islamic Architecture & design has flourished for centuries (& still does) without drawing animate objects; so it is obviously possible

In Europe most of the Art is centered around human body (or animate objects); while in East, even in Non-Muslim cultures (except Hindu'ism) its the other way around (similar to Islamic art).
Asalamu alaikum,
Ok, but i do not want to be hindu or anything like that. I don't beleive that kind of way. I beleive in God(Allah), as a muslim does. Did Mohammad(PBH) tell people what to draw? I just never thought that i would have to restrict my imagination if im not using it in a harmful way. How can i put restraints on a talent Allah gave me?
PEACE

BlueFish

Asalamu alaikum,
Ok, but i do not want to be hindu or anything like that. I don't beleive that kind of way. I beleive in God(Allah), as a muslim does. Did Mohammad(PBH) tell people what to draw? I just never thought that i would have to restrict my imagination if im not using it in a harmful way. How can i put restraints on a talent Allah gave me?
PEACE
Oh yeah, the other thing i am concerned with now is, how can i ever be a muslim if i am also an animator. I am about to get a fine art degree in computer animation. What do you think? I believe Allah has helped me through my struggle to through school, it is tough, especially 3d animation. Very technical. Do you think i am unable to be muslim because i am an artist?
Peace

Najmoen

The magic number

Islamic art has the most amaizing geometry and forms the basis of a certain branch of Mathematics. This geometry came about from studying Qur'an. Qur'an says in many surahs ...”verily in that are signs for those who reflect” And those who reflected where endowed with the knowledge of Mathematics. Like Abu Ja’far Muhammad ibn Musa Al-Khwarizmi (algorithms) sometimes called the “Father of Algebra” after his book Al-Jabr (algebra) wa-al-Muqabilah. Then there is also, Ya‘qūb ibn Is′ḥāq al-Kindī , Abu Abdallah Mohammed ibn Isa al-Mahani, Ghiyath al-Din Abu'l-Fath Omar ibn Ibrahim Al-Nisaburi Khayyámi (Omar Khayyám), Abd al-Hamid ibn Turk, Abu'l Hasan Thabit ibn Qurra' ibn Marwan al-Sabi al-Harrani (Thabit ibn Qurra) etc... to mention but a few.

However, lets take the numbers 3, 4, and 5 for instance and translate them to units, for eg, meters. If a shape is made with one of its sides 3 meters long, the second side 4 meters long, and the third side 5 meters long, we end up with a triangle with one angle exactly 90° the other 2 angle 30°
and 60° . Mathematically restated a (squared) + b (squared) = c (squared).

Regardless of whether we use 3,4,5 or 5,4,3 or 4,5,3 or 3,5,4 or any combination thereof, we still get to exactly the same shape figure - a scalene triangle, 3 different side lengths with 3 different angles, of which one in this case is 90°. So now we have a tools to measure 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, and 180° purely by adding the any two or three angles together. Seeing we can measure 180° continueing the rule will produce 360°, implying a circle.

A circle divides into 30° wedges gives rise to 12 divisions = 5 minute divisions of the clock. So by dividing each 5 minute (30°) in to 5 parts of 1 minute each, each minute = 6°. Restated 360° (circle) divided in to 60 minutes is 6° each. Now it becomes easy to design patterns with 10 sides, (circles with every 6 minutes forming a flat side = 10 sides polygon) or 15 sides polygons or polygons with any number of sides desired that divides perfectly into 360° without a remainder. By forming these multi sided polygons with its adjacent polygon sharing a side, patterns start to emerge. It appears as if circles are overlaping other circles. By further exploiting the same principle inside each circle and colouring the adjacent complimentary portions, an even bigger pattern emerges as if magic.

The magic number is 354 which is the exact amount of days in a lunar year. Qur'an says that the moon was made for calculation of time.

“He it is that cleaveth the day-break (from the dark): He makes the night for rest and tranquillity, and the sun and moon for the reckoning (of time): Such is the judgment and ordering of (Him), the Exalted in Power, the Omniscient”. Al-Qur'an, Surah 6. Verse96

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Oh yeah, the other thing i am concerned with now is, how can i ever be a muslim if i am also an animator. I am about to get a fine art degree in computer animation. What do you think? I believe Allah has helped me through my struggle to through school, it is tough, especially 3d animation. Very technical. Do you think i am unable to be muslim because i am an artist?
Peace

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Brother, Rest assured that every good things is allowed in Islam and every prohibitted thing has some visible or hidden pitfalls. Idolizing does not olny mean that someone bows in front of a picture but it means we should not make the humans as objects but should focus our attention towards Allah SWT.

Every thing which might create fitnah (violence) in society, that abandoned from its root. The moment the drawing of animals and pictures is allowed, the moment the man will start his fitnah, the moment people will start to tend to draw pictures for controvercial issues and to the extreme i.e. nudity in pictures.

You said that the restriction about drawing the living things will limit your creativity or imagination. In fact, focus on the art about human's physical appearance is limitting your creativity about other things. There is more to the world than physical aspects of human. There is more to the world than the extreme lust about drawing nude pictures. You might not want to draw the naked humans, but after all, this lead to the fitnah (violence, I dont have proper word for fitnah in English).

Do you really think that after looking at the paintings of humans anybody gets physical or moral improvement in his real life? Can these humanoid paintings readuce the misery in the lives of people? Can they reduce hunger and poorty from the world? Can they bring peace? If NOT then what? Then you have to agree that these paintings are just the personal desire of the artist to show to the people how does he imagine and how does he paint. But in Islam, its not about what 'I' desire, what 'I' think, what "ME" wants. In Islam, it is about to better your life as well as others' lives in the guidance of the Creator. Yet there is lot of room for the artist to show his creativity by decorating. (Human paintings are not decoration but to see the body as an object).

Our Creator knows better than us about what kind of things are not good for our Morals, Ethics and Social Values.

Wassalaam,
VE

Ahmed_2000

Servant of Allah
Peace

Salaam Allaikum

Brothher , I Studied animaton and few other things. but I changed my Route to Website development and database design. i still will do animation but will be making animated logos. but i stopped doing anatomy design. and remember animation field is big. I am not telling you to do what i did but you can use your animation skills to teach in Aerospace , its a nice fielld as well . and you know animation is not limited to game designing or matchmoving effects. i personally think that we are all here being tested in our daily lives by ALLAH (SWT) and we shalll do what he wants us rather than what we want , Because he gave us life and gave us Oppurtunity to live in this life annd gave us bleesing to be muslim and therfore gave us chance to go to Heaven. and so i turned my way away from Game Designing. because i dont wanna be regreting on the day of judgement about what i did in this life . Besides how long are we going to live in this life , at most in this generation peoplee live about 80 or so and we are weak we need AlLAH, ALLAH Doesnt need us . and the life in paradise is Flawlless and Infinite.

So Inshallah you will get a solution to you problem Brother

:SMILY105:

Salaam Allaikum

apocalypse77

Peace

well if u use it to good use and as long as what ure designign and depicting isnt animals or "too human"(especialy in an explicit way) then its ok

IT is essential..were not living in the dark ages

PS:Im also a 3D graphic designer ;)

BlueFish

Thank you to every one for their feed back about what i can do. Allah can show me where my talents will work for the benifiet of man and not instigate violence or negetive messeges. May Allah forgive me where i have gone wrong. It may be hard for an indivdual without artistic talents to understand an artistic mind, Allah does know best of coarse! Being human is not so easy all the time. Everyone has thier own individual struggles, it is wonderful how we can help eachother though.:shake:
I just watched the Cat Steven video (Yusaf Islam), so inspirational.
Peace.

Globalpeace

Banned
Individual without any artistic talents!

Asslamo Allaikum,

That's definitely me...

Ya'all will just laugh & won't beleive this story to be true:

When I was in Pakistan in Year 5 we had state exams where everyone compets & the results are announced in the news-papers and special prizes given to the best and the brightest (by President Ziaul-Haq back then)

I gave all the exams, results came with no mention of me in the papers (no pass, no fail, nothing).

My parents got worried & with my father being a civil servant called the "Ministry of Education" and said, "Even I don't beleive that he is stupid enough to fail; what happened?"

They said, "Mr Khan...We need to talk to you about your son" Can you come in?

He went to see one of the secretaries with our principle.

The girl who topped the whole province got 365 Marks (Rabia Hasan; who was in my class)...I had 368 with a "0" in Arts

They actually showed my dad my Arts exam where out of 3 questions I only attempted one questions which was draw a Cat (& something else)

I actually couldn't draw a CAT & took two sharpners and drew two circles (small & big) and drew a line with a scale to indicate a tail...It was Pathetic!

They had a meeting about me in the Department of Education and decided to let me go into the next year because even though I had failed a subject (so should have stayed in year 5) I had still managed to get 3 more marks over Rabia!

I had a huge crush on her for years because she had beaten me through treachery (I thought so in my little mind)!

I am 35 & no one has EVER forgotten this story & it gets mentioned from time to time.

BlueFish

Shahada

Ash-hadu anla ilaha illallahu wahadu la sharika lahu wa-ash-hadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu.:shahadah:
I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One without any partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His messenger.

Will you be witness that i have now said shahada? Even though this is online it seems more of a spiritual kind of presence.Thank you to all of you for support. :allahuakbar:
Peace.:SMILY84:

Globalpeace

Banned
Electronic Witness!

Asslamo Allaikum Bro,

My electrons will be a witness to your electrons saying the Shahada; feel free to get some real witnesses when you feel like it Insha'Allah.

Ash-hadu anla ilaha illallahu wahadu la sharika lahu wa-ash-hadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluhu.:shahadah:
I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One without any partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His messenger.

Will you be witness that i have now said shahada? Even though this is online it seems more of a spiritual kind of presence.Thank you to all of you for support. :allahuakbar:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

:salam2:

BlueFish, from what I read from your above statement is that you declare that you are a Muslim!

So I also bear witness that you are a Muslim, alhamdulillaah.:salah:

Welcome to Islam brother!

wasalaam.