Advice for Ramadan please

Ameera

Seeking allah

:salam2:
Brothers and Sisters
I am new to Islam as I have told you before, I am having a thing about Ramadan, I suffered a serious illness last year, which will be with my for the rest of my life although there is no real effects from the illness on a day to day basis I am still required to take medication, now I tried my first fast today and with the obvious no eating no drinking, I didn't take medication I had to break my fast two hours short of magrib salat because I had a migraine headache which was due to not taking medication, now before you all jump on me and tell me to take my medications I did consult my GP before doing this, I have had these migraine before when I tried to reduce the medications and my GP warned me not to reduce them just now , my concern is Ramadan, I do not want to be exempt from the fast I am just looking for ideas on how best to approach it can any of you help me with this please. I was advised by my GP to take medication after fast instead of before as he didn't think it would be a problem so here is my problem inshallah someone can advise me how best to approach fasting

Undertaker

Brothers and Sisters
I am new to Islam as I have told you before, I am having a thing about Ramadan, I suffered a serious illness last year, which will be with my for the rest of my life although there is no real effects from the illness on a day to day basis I am still required to take medication, now I tried my first fast today and with the obvious no eating no drinking, I didn't take medication I had to break my fast two hours short of magrib salat because I had a migraine headache which was due to not taking medication, now before you all jump on me and tell me to take my medications I did consult my GP before doing this, I have had these migraine before when I tried to reduce the medications and my GP warned me not to reduce them just now , my concern is Ramadan, I do not want to be exempt from the fast I am just looking for ideas on how best to approach it can any of you help me with this please. I was advised by my GP to take medication after fast instead of before as he didn't think it would be a problem so here is my problem inshallah someone can advise me how best to approach fasting
:salam2: Well,if your illness is such that u expect complications/can't survive without taking medicines from dawn till sunset,then you're not supposed to fast,you''ll get almost as much reward by Allah as others who r fasting though.I have 2 close relatives who don't fast just because they'll lose their senses or possibly their life if they don't take medicines after every 6 hours regularly.Not fasting in such circumstances is not a sin instead u get sum reward.

Also,consult your doctor & if u manage to get some other medicine which has longer effect(atleast 12 hours),then you may fast.But religious scholars strongly prohibit to observe fast in circumstances that u mentioned in your post.:wasalam:

Ameera

Seeking allah
Advice for Fasting at Ramadan

:wasalam:

Brothers and Sisters

I hope this finds you all well and Happy May Allah bless you for your advise

The Illness i have is called lymphatic meningitis I was diagnosed and hospitalised for a period of time last year, I had over 100 lumbar punctures to my spine until my spinal fluid pressure was low enough to allow me home for two days then hospitalised again for a further time then eventually home with weekly then mnthly appointments to have further lumbar punctures, I did seek the advice of my Doctor regarding fasting and he seemed to think that it would be ok but as stated in previous message it was not and my GP is non Muslim also what concerns me is I work night shift and obviously this will turn my days and nights around during the month of Ramadan, What I would like to know is if I fast can I take my medication and fast or must I not drink at all during the hours of fasting ? sorry to be a pain but this is my first Ramadan and I want to do it correctly, I do not feel ill and I want to participate in Ramadan fast I have no other Muslim family around to ask these questions to :astag: I really am at a loss as to whats best

:tti_sister: Ameera

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:wasalam:

Brothers and Sisters

I hope this finds you all well and Happy May Allah bless you for your advise

The Illness i have is called lymphatic meningitis I was diagnosed and hospitalised for a period of time last year, I had over 100 lumbar punctures to my spine until my spinal fluid pressure was low enough to allow me home for two days then hospitalised again for a further time then eventually home with weekly then mnthly appointments to have further lumbar punctures, I did seek the advice of my Doctor regarding fasting and he seemed to think that it would be ok but as stated in previous message it was not and my GP is non Muslim also what concerns me is I work night shift and obviously this will turn my days and nights around during the month of Ramadan, What I would like to know is if I fast can I take my medication and fast or must I not drink at all during the hours of fasting ? sorry to be a pain but this is my first Ramadan and I want to do it correctly, I do not feel ill and I want to participate in Ramadan fast I have no other Muslim family around to ask these questions to :astag: I really am at a loss as to whats best

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is permissible for those who are sick not to fast, and the basic principle concerning that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”. End quote.

Al-Mughni, 3/88

To read more:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=50555&ln=eng&txt=chronic fast

Ameera

Seeking allah
thank you for advice

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is permissible for those who are sick not to fast, and the basic principle concerning that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days”. End quote.

Al-Mughni, 3/88

To read more:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=50555&ln=eng&txt=chronic fast

Now I am more confused than before, I have read about chronic illness and not fasting, but I am not ill as such, I have lymphatic meningitis which (if) it recurs in full swing will cause me severe illness or worse permanent injuries such as hearing loss or loss of sight, but as long as I take medication I will be fine, so firstly let me thank you for your information but afraid I will need to look further for assistance with this matter I will find a Muslim doctor to discuss this with or my Imam at the Masjid inshallah that I find it before Ramadan

new-muslim

Salam 0 a laikum Ameera

I am in a similar situation but your illness sounds quite bad. Last year I was in late stages of pregnancy and didn't keep well especially with my condition-so I didn't fast. I did ask the dr the year previous who advised me not to fast as she said I need fluids. I have kidney disease.
I then went to the dr last week, a different dr, and she said it should be ok to fast. If I was not feeling well then to stop fasting.

I take 3 tablets, should be in the morning. My plan is that when I get up in the middle of the night to eat /drink before my fast begins then I will take my tablets. Is this not an option also for you?

Salam,Annette

Imasoa

Salaams, I agree that it is an important and often misunderstood aspect in Islam that believers should accept Allah's concessions and abide by them.

As I mentioned, I live in KSA, so we often make Umrah during Ramadan. Some members of my family will not accept the concession to break their fast while travelling to Mecca, claiming that this type of travel, (2 hours on a plane, 1 in a car) is not taxing for them. I on the other hand take the concession, since its applicability definately applies to me.

However, you know your own health well enough, and I'm familiar with many people who simply refuse NOT to fast. Here, amongst a community of all fasters, there seems to be an unwritten rule, that if you aren't fasting, (perhaps due to illness or menstration) you do not make this known to people. In other words, you do all your eating and drinking in private, then eat fatoor with others. It's not lying unless someone asks if you're fasting - and you lie!

Another bit of advice I have is regarding migraine medication taken nasally. I have suffered from migraines my whole life. When Imitrex came out in the nasal formula, I researched it with doctors and in the fatwas, and it is permissible to use while you're fasting - it DOES NOT break your fast.

You might find that if you could get through the first few days of Ramadan, your headaches will subside.

I admire your enthusiasm in the Path of Allah. I pray He rewards you greatly.

Ameera

Seeking allah
Salaam
All May Allah bless you and Keep you safe

I work nightshift and I think my only concern is I would be made ill and not be able to attend those who need me more as I care for the elderly with menatal health problems I cant take migraine meds on top of the meningitis meds so I will try on Monday again to fast and see if taking medicatio after al fajr will help me in the day to follow,, if not I will accept Allah's concessions. I just don't want ppl to think I am not serious in my Deen because I really am strong minded and I should be able to get through it lol I will try a single fast before Ramadan and see how that fairs on

shukran to all for your help

Ammera

muharram23

Staff member
salamau alaykum sister ameera,

hopefully this is close to what ur asking about.

They thought there was no hope of recovery from his sickness so he paid the fidyah, then Allaah healed him; should he make up the missed fasts?

Question:
Because I was sick with a stomach ulcer, I was not able to fast in Ramadaan for several years; I do not know how many they were, and I paid fidyah instead. After that I got better, praise be to Allaah. Do I have to make up those fasts?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allaah has permitted the sick to break the fast in Ramadaan and make it up later on, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Sawm (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

This applies if the sickness is one from which it is hoped that the person will recover. If the sickness is one from which there is no hope of recovery – in the doctors’ opinion – then he may break the fast and feed one poor person for each day.

This has been discussed in the answer to question no. 37761.

Secondly:

If a sick person does not fast, and his sickness is one from which there is no hope of recovery, and he feeds one poor person for each day, then Allaah heals him, he does not have to make up the fasts, because he did what was required of him, and he discharged his duty thereby. See al-Insaaf (3/285).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: If a person recovers from a sickness that the doctors previously stated it was impossible to recover from, and that is after several days of Ramadaan have passed, is he required to make up the previous days?

He replied: If a person does not fast in Ramadaan because of sickness for which there is no hope of recovery, either because this is the usual pattern with that sickness or because trustworthy doctors have stated that, then he has to feed one poor person for each day. If he does that, then Allaah decrees that he should be healed after that, he does not have to make up the fasts for which he fed the poor, because his duty was discharged when he fed poor persons instead of fasting.

If his duty has been discharged, then it is not followed by another obligation. This is like what the fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) mentioned about a man who is unable to perform the duty of Hajj because of a reason for which there is no hope that it will end, and someone does Hajj on his behalf, then he recovers after that: he does not have to do the obligatory Hajj again. End quote from Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (19/126).

We praise Allaah for having healed you and we ask Him for more of His bounty for us and for you.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Ameera

Seeking allah
salamau alaykum sister ameera,

hopefully this is close to what ur asking about.

They thought there was no hope of recovery from his sickness so he paid the fidyah, then Allaah healed him; should he make up the missed fasts?

Question:
Because I was sick with a stomach ulcer, I was not able to fast in Ramadaan for several years; I do not know how many they were, and I paid fidyah instead. After that I got better, praise be to Allaah. Do I have to make up those fasts?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allaah has permitted the sick to break the fast in Ramadaan and make it up later on, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Sawm (fasts) that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

This applies if the sickness is one from which it is hoped that the person will recover. If the sickness is one from which there is no hope of recovery – in the doctors’ opinion – then he may break the fast and feed one poor person for each day.

This has been discussed in the answer to question no. 37761.

Secondly:

If a sick person does not fast, and his sickness is one from which there is no hope of recovery, and he feeds one poor person for each day, then Allaah heals him, he does not have to make up the fasts, because he did what was required of him, and he discharged his duty thereby. See al-Insaaf (3/285).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: If a person recovers from a sickness that the doctors previously stated it was impossible to recover from, and that is after several days of Ramadaan have passed, is he required to make up the previous days?

He replied: If a person does not fast in Ramadaan because of sickness for which there is no hope of recovery, either because this is the usual pattern with that sickness or because trustworthy doctors have stated that, then he has to feed one poor person for each day. If he does that, then Allaah decrees that he should be healed after that, he does not have to make up the fasts for which he fed the poor, because his duty was discharged when he fed poor persons instead of fasting.

If his duty has been discharged, then it is not followed by another obligation. This is like what the fuqaha’ (may Allaah have mercy on them) mentioned about a man who is unable to perform the duty of Hajj because of a reason for which there is no hope that it will end, and someone does Hajj on his behalf, then he recovers after that: he does not have to do the obligatory Hajj again. End quote from Majmoo’ah Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (19/126).

We praise Allaah for having healed you and we ask Him for more of His bounty for us and for you.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Salaams

Shukran to one and all for the advice I am happier now for the new knowledge I have regards to fasting you have all been very good

may allah bless you all for your assistance

Ameera

amira87

I love Allah
salam alaikum ameera

hey sister my name is amira too.....and i am also a revert to islam since april 06, and i wanted to help you out. first, if you have an illness take your meds with food before the morning prayer(fajr). this is called zuhr....and it is basically sunah and healthy for you to do before you start fasting through out the whole day. Just set your alarm before fajr(morning prayer), get up like 15 minutes before fajr starts. Eat like dates with water or what ever you will help you hold your fast throughout the day. Something sweet would be best. the profet muhammad(saw) use to do this every time he fasted. Plus it is good for your body so that during your fasting you wont feel sick. I totally know what youre going through because i have an illness too, and i have to take my meds when I am fasting too. So basically my morning meds are before fajr prayer, and my dinner meds are for when i break my fast during magrib. Inshallah this advice i gave you will help you too. Oh by the way I have lupus and alhamdillah because i can be treated Allah has been so helpful, and I am taking good care of myself. Inshallah 7air for you.