Arab Countries Ban Elderly, Young From Hajj

capetonian

Source: IslamOnline.net & News Agencies

CAIRO - In a bid to contain the spread of swine flu, Arab health ministers agreed Wednesday, July 22, to ban the elderly and young children from going on `Umrah and hajj in Saudi Arabia this year.

"Hajj and `Umrah will continue with some conditions," said Ibrahim al-Kerdani, World Health Organization (WHO) spokesman in Egypt, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP). "Some groups will be excluded from hajj: people over the age of 65, people under the age of 12 and people with chronic illnesses."

The ban was taken during an emergency meeting of Arab health ministers to coordinate arrangements and precautions to be taken during hajj.
Kerdani said the decision to keep the vulnerable groups away from hajj is yet to be ratified by the Arab governments. The swine flu (H1N1), a mixture of various swine, bird and human viruses, first emerged in Mexico in April.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the virus is moving around the globe at "unprecedented speed," with more than 700 people killed since the outbreak began. Several Muslim countries have already warned vulnerable people against going on `Umrah and hajj in Saudi Arabia over swine flu concerns.

On Monday, Egypt became the latest country to advise vulnerable people against going to the holy sites in Makkah, after an Egyptian woman back from Saudi Arabia became the first swine flu death in the Middle East and Africa.
In Iran, a health ministry official on Tuesday repeated calls for elderly Iranians and children to avoid going on hajj this year.

Tunisia earlier this month suspended `Umrah because of the virus, while reserving judgment on whether hajj should be undertaken.

Saudi Arabia itself in June warned elderly Muslims and pregnant women against undertaking hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, because of the threat of swine flu. More than two million Muslims perform hajj, an obligation for all able-bodied, financially capable Muslims at least once in a lifetime, every year.

Requirement

The WHO says Saudi Arabia is expected to ratify the Arab recommendation to exclude the vulnerable people from hajj.

"The Saudi government will make (these conditions) a requirement," said Hussein Gezairi, the WHO regional director for the Eastern Mediterranean region. "No one will get their visa unless these requirements are fulfilled."
Around 3 million Muslim pilgrims from around the world head for the holy city of Makkah each year for hajj. But Riyadh said that it would not restrict the number of visas it issues for hajj this year.

"We did not change the percentage of any country, we changed certain rules," Saudi Health Minister Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al-Rabeeah said.
"It's up to the country to replace (applicants who fall under the restrictions) with" other pilgrims, he said.

He, however, said that there would "probably" be fewer pilgrims this year.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Oh , may Allah help us in SA :(
phillippeno people who brought it to us :mad:
but thanks for Allah for every thing

The best side that will be less pilgrims this year , for my good luck :tongue:

I will perform Hajj this year in sh'a Allah .

and Allah only knows best ^_^

fatima1994

ƒ3!RY $p!r!T
but thanks for Allah for every thing

The best side that will be less pilgrims this year , for my good luck :tongue:

I will perform Hajj this year in sh'a Allah .

and Allah only knows best ^_^

May Allah have mercy on us all! I hope this disease is put to a stop soon!
:tti_sister:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

:salam2:

The Philipino did not bring anything to you, nor were they mentioned in the news report.

All of this is from Allaah Subhana wa ta'ala, Qadr Allaah.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2:

Are not issuing Umrah Visa too ?

My Family is planning for umrah on this Sunday InshaAllah, plannig to take my kid (18 months ) too...

:wasalam:

doctor38

The ban is not enforced yet. It is only a recommendation

It is to be ratified and finalized. The large font is used because I was accused of being a quite member:SMILY209:

What is mind baglining to me is the fact the Swine Flu death rate is lower than regular flu death rate. I was speaking to an infectious disease doctor who is a close frend of mine and he seemed to agree with this notion. So far Swine flu looks like a mild disease.

I am a paranoid person by nature, cynical and highly skeptical. I believe this is a money making scheme for drug companies.

Having said that, the Doctor in me will advice you, If you are planing to go Haj this year like me. talk to your doctor. It is recommended to take a regular flu vaccine. also start Tamaflue 75 mg once a day for 10 days starting the day you leave to Saudi. also make sure to take Pneumovax and Meningococcal vaccines. All 3 vaccines should be taking 1 month prior to departure. Hepatits A vaccines is also a good idea.

who knows mayb its a plot to stop people from doing hajj....remember antharax??...dick cheneys company discovered its cure , what a coincidence

q8penpals

Salam

I think the article said that they were not changing the NUMBER of people being allowed to come - the numbers from each country would stay the same. They are only saying that, for instance, if a country were allowed to normally send 5000 pilgrims to haj, they would STILL be able to send 5000 pilgrims, just not any pilgrims below age 12 and over age 65.

So there is no "conspiracy" to make fewer people attend haj - they are just trying to make it safer for everyone who attends.

The H1N1 virus, so far, has not been much more deadly than most flus; it is just more highly transmittable person to person, which is why one of the basic precautions for people with the H1N1 flu is to STAY HOME once diagnosed, thereby reducing their contact with others. People with compromised immunine systems (due to age or other illness) are at more risk because they cannot fight the virus as easily.