Are Muslims not allowed to vote for ?

truthseeker63

Are Muslims not allowed to vote for man made laws and man made political parties and man made governments the reason Im asking this question is because here in the U.S. we have two political parties the Democrats and the Republicans I see no difference between the two they both support Zionism and the oppression of Muslims they even support the oppression of non Muslims they are both run by Rich/Wealthy Lobbyists. I used to vote Democrat than I voted Republican I voted Democrat because the Democrats claim be for the Poor when in fact I voted Democrat because of Class Warfare the Democrats support higher taxes on the Rich or Progressive Taxes Im sure in the UK they have the same issue with the Labour Party the Liberal Democrats and the Conservative Party ?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

It is permissible to vote when there is a need... like if there is a lesser evil person who will give more rights to the muslims in that country- then one should try and vote for that person.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Assalaamu `alaykum

It is permissible to vote when there is a need... like if there is a lesser evil person who will give more rights to the muslims in that country- then one should try and vote for that person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:salam2:

:ma:
Well said!

~May Allah swt shower blesses upon you and your family~Amin!

Thank you,
Take care!
~Wassalam :)

JenGiove

Great question Truthseeker! Personally, I don't vote. I never have. While some people have told me that it means that I am part of the problem, it is my right not to vote and I exercise that right. I have little faith in politicians to think outside of the box <when needed> to do what is 100% correct, right and true and would make no mistakes politically. I may be part of the problem, as others have said, but I'm also never wrong that way. :) lol! <personal joke>. The point is, just because you CAN vote, doesn't mean you have to vote.

I fount this on Islamqa.com
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/3062/voting
Is it permissible for Muslims to vote for kaafirs who seem to be less evil?
ar - en - es - fr - ug - ja - ru

Some Moslems in a non Islamic country are asking if it is OK to participate in the elections there and vote for non Moslem groups or parties. They claim that it would serve the Moslem community there if a certain group won the elections?

Praise be to Allaah.

This is a matter concerning which rulings may differ according to different circumstances in different times and places. There is no absolute ruling that covers all situations, both real and hypothetical.

In some cases it is wrong to vote, such as when the matter will have no effect on the Muslims, or when the Muslims have no effect on the outcome of the vote. In this case voting or not voting is all the same. The same applies in cases where all the candidates are equally evil or where they all have the same attitude towards Muslims…

It may be the case that the interests of Islam require Muslims to vote so as to ward off the greater evil and to reduce harmful effects, such as where two candidates may be non-Muslims but one of them is less hostile towards Muslims than the other, and Muslims’ votes will have an impact on the outcome of the election. In such cases there is nothing wrong with Muslims casting their votes in favour of the less evil candidate.

In any case, this is the matter of ijtihaad based on the principle of weighing up the pros and cons, what is in the interests of Islam and what is detrimental. With regard to this matter, we have to refer to the people of knowledge who understand this principle. We should put the question to them, explaining in detail the circumstances and laws in the country where the Muslim community is living, the state of the candidates, the importance of the vote, the likely benefits, and so on.

No one should imagine that anyone who says that it is OK to vote is thereby expressing approval or support for kufr. It is done in the interests of the Muslims, not out of love for kufr and its people. The Muslims rejoiced when the Romans defeated the Persians, as did the Muslims in Abyssinia (Ethiopia) when the Negus defeated those who had challenged his authority. This is well known from history. Whoever wants to be on the safe side and abstain from voting is allowed to do so. This response applies only to elections for influential positions. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
because here in the U.S. we have two political parties the Democrats and the Republicans I see no difference between the two they both support Zionism and the oppression of Muslims

Why you write there is just two political parties? I am sure there are a lot of others, which yes are small ones - but if people don´t vote them, they will remain small forever. Why not try to find some other party by different values in there?

JenGiove

Why you write there is just two political parties? I am sure there are a lot of others, which yes are small ones - but if people don´t vote them, they will remain small forever. Why not try to find some other party by different values in there?

Sister, that's an excellent point. There ARE more than the Reb.'s and the Dem.'s...Here is a list, alibet incomplete, but the Republican and Democratic are the "social norms" you could say of the political system here in the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_United_States

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I don't vote anymore, but I used to vote Libertarian when I did vote. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats care about anything other than lining their own pockets with taxpayer money. They may differ somewhat on domestic policies, but I think in the end that neither party wants to do what is best for the nation or its people.

Aroosak

:wasalam:

Interesting discussion. Now can a Muslim run for office be it any position? Being that they will have to abide by the laws of the place where they will be running and what if the laws conflict with Islam?

I've recently seen the amazing work of some Muslim politicians and what they've done to improve the life of Muslims in their districts.

Also for previous responses about voting is there any daleel on them?

JenGiove

Yes it is. Please visit MPAC website. I unfortunately don't have the privileges to post the URL.

:salam2: Brother, While I may be non-Muslim, I have learned that discretion is needed and knowledge about various ideologies that are counter to the True Islam is required. I looked at the website you mentioned and I noticed several things:

1986: MPAC founded as the Political Action Committee of the Islamic Center of Southern California.

December 1993: MPAC condemns "fatwa" against writer Salman Rushdie.

October 2000: MPAC denounces Taliban and condemns destruction of Buddhist holy sites.

December 2001: MPAC holds first annual national convention on "The Rising Voice of Moderate Muslims" in Long Beach, CA.

March 2004: MPAC condemns Madrid terror attacks and anti-Shia attacks in Iraq

April 2007: MPAC convenes historic meeting of Sunni and Shia Muslim leaders which leads to creation of "Intrafaith Code of Honor" in Southern California which was later replicated by local Muslim community coordinating councils in Detroit, MI and at the annual ISNA Convention.

While alot of the work that they do is, in my personal opinion, working for a positive change in the American view of Islam and they do quite a lot of work in regards to Gaza, these facts listed above can not be ignored.

I looked into the ICoSC and this is what I found as part of their Ideology:

The Center does not believe that segregation of the sexes is the guarantee of righteousness, but modesty, decency, and observing the prohibitions that Allah and his apostle dictated, as well as the purity of the heart and the clarity of the conscience, are the guarantees.

I just wonder if they allow the women and men to pray together. I have learned that Muslims need to be careful with whom they associate themselves with. I present this information to the members so that they know and so they can decide for themselves <since they have better knowledge about such issues and how they affect the Ummah>.

Aapa

Mirajmom
ssalaam walaikum,

BismilAllah Ar-Rahman, Ar-Raheem,

This is a serious question. We are approaching Ramadan. As we enter the holy month of blessings we have to question where are we in terms of our commitment to Allah.

I am no scholar.

We need to be careful when we think of politics. I have spent a lifetime in the political world. And now I know better.

Whatever we do we must always, always, think in terms of where does the intention/action take me. Is this going to place me closer to Allah or is this going to send me back.

When we vote in majority non-Muslim countries we are allowing those without belief to take actions upon us. We know that those in power, i.e. Congress or Parliament, have meetings that are secret. Look at the UN, too.

This places us on a very dangerous spiritual place. In the West, we often try to compromise between the lesser of two evils. Why are we placing ourselves in such a position. We have the alternative: Allah is the One who defines good and evil.

When we support a secular government we are indirectly supporting acts of rebellion against the Laws of Allah. Homosexual marriage is one simple example. Once again, we have to think it through.

We are bound by our words. We are the ones who take Shahadah every day.

I found this link which details some of the thoughts I took:http://www.unifiedummah.com/sections/books/books/The_World_Without_The_Shahadah.pdf

This is serious and deserves consideration for our own deen.

Walaikum assalaam.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Thank you for all your repies on this subject.

salaams to all
i agree with brother Thariq- there seems to be no "right" person to vote for.
its just a matter of choosing the lesser of 2 evils.
If we feel we have to vote-as he mentioned, we should see whose views etc are better for Islam/muslims in general from a Shar'ee viewpoint.
not according to our whims & fancies.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, we do not choose the lesser of two evils when we are Muslims. We choose the Law of Allah. Therein no evil.